Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Dick Vitale makes me vomit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=270503)

NozeCandy 11-28-2006 10:57 PM

Dick Vitale makes me vomit

"DUKE'S GOT SOME OF THE BRIGHTEST KIDS IN THE COUNTRY HERE BABY!!!!! FUTURE LEADERS OF AMERICA!!!! SAT DYNAMOS!!!!!!"

"Duke landed this guy because they can recruit nationally!!!! That's the power of Hall of Fame COACH K BABY!!!!!!!!!!"

Jesus Christ. I don't even care that it's true for the most part. This dude should not be allowed within 80 miles of Durham, for his sake. He's going to have a [censored] heart attack.

MyTurn2Raise 11-28-2006 10:57 PM

Re: Dick Vitale makes me vomit

I refuse to watch games that he announces

I'm a happier person for it

MuresanForMVP 11-28-2006 11:04 PM

MacGuyV 11-28-2006 11:08 PM

I'm just glad Mike Patrick isn't with him tonight - he's actually worse believe it or not.
As far as not being allowed near Durham - he's always talking about Duke no matter what - I'd rather he do that at a Duke game than elsewhere.

DMBFan23 11-28-2006 11:13 PM

I like Dick Vitale. He has a [censored] of energy, and whenever he walks into an arena, that game becomes the biggest college basketball game of the night.

jgunnip 11-28-2006 11:18 PM

Dicky V pWns.

Before last year's ucla@Michigan game he came over to the students shook hands, signed a few hundred autographs, and took pictures with anybody that had a camera. Whether you like him or not, he's great for the game.

NozeCandy 11-28-2006 11:24 PM

Him outside of a Duke game is fine, but it is hard to listen to the game when there is constant fellatio going on.

ThaSaltCracka 11-28-2006 11:26 PM

agreed w/ DMB, he makes any game seem 10x bigger than it really is. Also, the guys passion for college basketball is amazing and awesome at the same time. (not a fan of CB either).

Also, Noze, I can see your annoyance with him.

Suigin406 11-28-2006 11:32 PM

definitely annoying...try to tune him out if at all possible...

Jeff W 11-28-2006 11:52 PM

I wish they'd stop bringing him in to comment on football games.

Assani Fisher 11-29-2006 12:04 AM

Maryland fan, but I like him

hoyasnaxa 11-29-2006 12:36 AM

Hate him. Despise duke, who has assembled a laughable team this year. A bunch of white guys that suck, McRoberts being #2 on my most hated and overrated list, and Paulus #1. I hate greg paulus, he is pathetic and vitale talks about him like he is good. Hoyas gonna dominate them on saturday (i hope).

MuresanForMVP 11-29-2006 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate him. Despise duke, who has assembled a laughable team this year. A bunch of white guys that suck, McRoberts being #2 on my most hated and overrated list, and Paulus #1. I hate greg paulus, he is pathetic and vitale talks about him like he is good. Hoyas gonna dominate them on saturday (i hope).

[/ QUOTE ]

squeeked one out against IU tonight...the Dookies are a [censored] laugh this year

MEbenhoe 11-29-2006 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

squeeked one out against IU tonight...the Dookies are a [censored] laugh this year

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how people talk about this being a huge down year for Duke, but they'll still likely make at least the sweet 16 and are miles better than UNC was a few years ago. But people like to forget those types of things.

As for Dicky V, I liked him a lot better before he apparently took a job as the head of marketing at Duke University. Its hard to deny that in his prime not only was he a great announcer but he was great for the game too. And the guy does seem to truly care about college athletes, and has always been a strong proponent of players staying 4 years which I respect a lot.

MuresanForMVP 11-29-2006 12:57 AM

Duke is not a Sweet 16 team this year.

Assani Fisher 11-29-2006 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I hate Duke too, but your analysis of their squad is just silly.

Assani Fisher 11-29-2006 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'd say that they're a decent bet to make it. I certainly wouldn't make a bold proclomation one way or the other just yet though. But they have a great coach and a lot of smart players who will most likely improve a ton over the course of the season. They have a dominant big man, a solid PG, and a decent perimeter scorer in Nelson.

ridonkulous 11-29-2006 01:08 AM

When a team plays defense like Duke does, it's hard to have a down year. Coach K has those kids playing hard on the defensive end.

MEbenhoe 11-29-2006 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me: yes they are
you: no they're not
Me: but they so are
you: no way dood
Me: omg why you so stupid?
you: nuh uh

NozeCandy 11-29-2006 01:14 AM

Please, this is a Dick Vitale thread. Hating on Duke basketball is generally stupid, because they at least deserve accolades (unlike ND football for example). Duke is generally good. Vitale blows. If you are going to hate on Duke at least hate on the lacrosse team. Or the vast amount of ugly chicks.

MuresanForMVP 11-29-2006 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'd say that they're a decent bet to make it. I certainly wouldn't make a bold proclomation one way or the other just yet though. But they have a great coach and a lot of smart players who will most likely improve a ton over the course of the season. They have a dominant big man, a solid PG, and a decent perimeter scorer in Nelson.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt McRoberts will be very "dominant", Paulus is solid but doesn't seem much more than that. Nelson has shot pretty well from behind the arc this season, but has been horrible in the years past. Who else do they have? Pocius and a bunch of unproven freshmen? McRoberts seems like player who's good for about 14-10 a night. that's far from dominant. I stand by my proclamation of no Sweet 16.

MuresanForMVP 11-29-2006 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me: yes they are
you: no they're not
Me: but they so are
you: no way dood
Me: omg why you so stupid?
you: nuh uh

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is we're both acting like rejects? IMO last year's team was much better than this years and they got bounced in the round of 16. Last year I would have agreed with a Sweet 16 prediction, hell maybe even an elite 8. but this year I think you have to talk your blue shaded glasses off.

Assani Fisher 11-29-2006 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt McRoberts will be very "dominant", Paulus is solid but doesn't seem much more than that. Nelson has shot pretty well from behind the arc this season, but has been horrible in the years past. Who else do they have? Pocius and a bunch of unproven freshmen? McRoberts seems like player who's good for about 14-10 a night. that's far from dominant. I stand by my proclamation of no Sweet 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by my proclamation that prediciting in November whether or not a team will win two games in March when we don't even know their opponents is just pointless.

MuresanForMVP 11-29-2006 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by my proclamation that prediciting in November whether or not a team will win two games in March when we don't even know their opponents is just pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? Even if I dialed

http://content.answers.com/main/cont.../Miss_Cleo.jpg

Case Closed 11-29-2006 02:07 AM

In my mind Dick Vitale = Lee Corso. I don't like either of them.

JaredL 11-29-2006 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how people talk about this being a huge down year for Duke, but they'll still likely make at least the sweet 16 and are miles better than UNC was a few years ago. But people like to forget those types of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of this time I mentioned that someone who is a Duke fan from Wisconsin doesn't know what it's like to suffer terrible years supporting a team and he pointed toward a season where Duke made the NCAA tournament as a terrible season which brought about great suffering.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

tuq 11-29-2006 02:45 AM

I have no experience with him personally (I hope people don't mind if I drag this thread back ON-TOPIC) but everyone I know who has met him have had good things to say. I could do without 100% of his commentary, though, regardless of who is playing.

Spellmen 11-29-2006 02:50 AM

He is unbelievably annoying but as others have said, he is good for college basketball

He certainly fellatiates Duke, but he also does so for the entire ACC.

Stat Boy 11-29-2006 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is unbelievably annoying but as others have said, he is good for college basketball

He certainly fellatiates Duke, but he also does so for the entire ACC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think he pretty much gushes over whoever he is covering. It just so happens that he is usually covering the ACC, and lots of times Duke or UNC.

I think if ESPN had the Pac 10 contract hed been fauning all over UCLA and Zona. I just don't think anyone has the time to closely cover every major converence so his rankings and stuff tend to favor the conference that he does cover.

MEbenhoe 11-29-2006 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of this time I mentioned that someone who is a Duke fan from Wisconsin doesn't know what it's like to suffer terrible years supporting a team

[/ QUOTE ]

i know terrible years all too well, i'm also a brewers, bucks, marquette, and packers fan, but that duke team definitely sucked despite making the tourney [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

kidcolin 11-29-2006 04:10 AM

I generally dislike all the over the top sportscasters, but I've always liked Vitale. He's never come across as a self-serving douche like a lot of the others. Seems like a really good guy. I think his enthusiasm is genuine and he's got the world's biggest boner for college basketball.

hoyasnaxa 11-29-2006 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is perfect. I too hate corso. Duke equals = slow, unathletic, soft, overrated, white. I dont understand how comparing this Duke team as better than UNC a couple years back negates the fact that Duke sucks this year. Duke has the ability to get good players, but Coach K is more obsessed with getting "Duke" guys, the next wojo, like paulus. It is starting to add up, and this team sucks.

MicroBob 11-29-2006 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

agreed w/ DMB, he makes any game seem 10x bigger than it really is. Also, the guys passion for college basketball is amazing and awesome at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Or you can go the opposite route and have Billy Packer do commentary.
It's like he's trying to make the most exciting of March Madness games feel like a pre-season exhibition.

Then you go to Greg Gumbel and Clark Kellogg in the studio and I'm pretty sure it is required for each of them to take 3 sleeping-pills on game-days.

I've frequently said that one of the biggest injustices in sports-broadcasting is that Packer is the one doing the Final 4 (and all of March Madness) while the most passionate and well-known of all the college-basketball announcers is on the sidelines.

Damn CBS contract.
If ESPN/ABC could somehow get March Madness that would be so much better for an event that is already doing extremely well.
But I think the NCAA contract with CBS runs until about the 23rd century so I'm not expecting it to happen anytime soon.

MEbenhoe 11-29-2006 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is perfect. I too hate corso. Duke equals = slow, unathletic, soft, overrated, white. I dont understand how comparing this Duke team as better than UNC a couple years back negates the fact that Duke sucks this year. Duke has the ability to get good players, but Coach K is more obsessed with getting "Duke" guys, the next wojo, like paulus. It is starting to add up, and this team sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

sucks is a word thrown around pretty freely, by what standard does this year's duke basketball team suck?

They're ranked #10 and #11 in the polls and also are ranked #1, #2, and #10 in the different Sagarin ratings, so don't claim voter bias. So to say this year's Duke team sucks, you are saying that almost every team in college basketball sucks.

Talon0110 11-29-2006 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry we cant be the absolute best team every year....however we have the best program in the country....read it and weep

[/ QUOTE ]

Stat Boy 11-29-2006 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that coach K is an idiot. Recruiting multiple Mcdonalds all americans every year is a sure fire way to put your program in the toilet.

DrewDevil 11-29-2006 08:39 AM

I have met Dick Vitale and I think he's a good guy with a genuine enthusiasm for the game, but I hate, hate, HATE listening to him on a broadcast. He does not contribute anything to his 'analysis' and he makes my head hurt with all the yelling.

I also think he is partially responsible for a lot of the hatred for Duke basketball. Duke has been very good the last few years but consistently overrated, and this is partly because of Vitale. Duke has been a #1 seed the last, what, 7 years in a row? Pfffft.

I wish he would just shut up.

hoyasnaxa 11-29-2006 09:27 AM

Every year in the past there are like 3-5 big white stiffs at the end of Coach Ks bench, all of whom are All-Americans. They never played in the past, but now these kids are playing. By the end of the year, Duke will either not be ranked, or be below #20, and if they get a seed higher than a 4 in the tourney, will lose first round.

kyro 11-29-2006 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year in the past there are like 3-5 big white stiffs at the end of Coach Ks bench, all of whom are All-Americans. They never played in the past, but now these kids are playing. By the end of the year, Duke will either not be ranked, or be below #20, and if they get a seed higher than a 4 in the tourney, will lose first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, these kids are All-Americans but never played?

Impressive.

srjunkacct 11-29-2006 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, these kids are All-Americans but never played?

Impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric Boateng resents being lumped in with all the aforementioned McDonald's all-American big white stiffs.

(He's black, and recently transferred to Arizona State, but otherwise fits the description perfectly.)