Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Custom Titles: Required Reading (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266339)

Ryan Beal 11-22-2006 09:01 PM

Custom Titles: Required Reading

I've been trying not to come down too hard on mods giving users custom titles, so for now I'm not going to say that they can't be used at all without admin approval. But at one point Mat did ask us to keep these to a minimum, and that doesn't seem to be happening. I think always knowing which mods are giving them could help that. So from now on, whenever you change a title you must log it in the user's notes. I'll be removing newer custom titles that aren't logged.

Sniper 11-22-2006 09:54 PM

Re: Custom Titles: Required Reading

[ QUOTE ]
So from now on, whenever you change a title you must log it in the user's notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent...

Nick B. 11-22-2006 10:20 PM

Good.

Gildwulf 11-23-2006 01:22 AM

I logged my last one

Berge20 11-23-2006 01:22 AM

Good

Always useful to know who is doing what and why, in all situations.

StellarWind 11-23-2006 01:44 AM

I don't want to pick on anyone but I just read a recent note where the moderator forgot to sign his name.

I also include the date in my notes. Last week or last year makes a big difference when a previous offender gets in trouble again.

The Dude 11-23-2006 02:58 AM

It's been quite awhile since I've customized anyone's title, but I'll follow this guideline from now on.

The Dude 11-23-2006 03:00 AM

We're not required to respond to all "required reading" threads, are we?

Ryan Beal 11-23-2006 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Sniper 11-23-2006 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan didn't say he was taking attendence in this thread... good question though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Surf 11-23-2006 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been quite awhile since I've customized anyone's title, but I'll follow this guideline from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

4_2_it 11-23-2006 09:41 AM

In SSNL, we give custom titles to people who take the time to contribute a digest. It usually takes a couple of hours and all digests are added to the stickies.

Is this practice okay or should we curtail it?

EMc 11-23-2006 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In SSNL, we give custom titles to people who take the time to contribute a digest. It usually takes a couple of hours and all digests are added to the stickies.

Is this practice okay or should we curtail it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same is done in MicroNL

deacsoft 11-24-2006 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT! 11-25-2006 08:15 AM

some of the BBV kids are asking about this in their daily '[censored] oot' thread, what are we telling people about this policy? public knowledge?

Gildwulf 11-25-2006 01:43 PM

I'm not sure why Keikiwai's title was removed...I put it on him weeks ago (I think it was my second day as mod) before this whole discussion was even out in the open. IMO, it's silly to go back retroactively and change people's titles, especially with no explanation to the poster.

Now he is asking me where it went, and I have no idea except Ryan said he removed it in the notes. Now I basically look dumb and like someone else (he doesn't know it was Ryan) is undermining my modding. Not sure what we are trying to accomplish doing this.

Ryan Beal 11-25-2006 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I basically look dumb and like someone else (he doesn't know it was Ryan) is undermining my modding.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a funny way to look at custom titles.

As I said in the OP, I will be removing newer titles that aren't logged. If you want to change it back, the solution is simple. I do believe that by doing this you guys will be encouraged to start logging these. Just remember that custom titles should be kept to a minimum.

NT:
[ QUOTE ]
some of the BBV kids are asking about this in their daily '[censored] oot' thread, what are we telling people about this policy? public knowledge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why not. Feel free.

Gildwulf 11-25-2006 04:17 PM

i have already said I would do it from now on...

Ding Dong just asked me about his title change as well, which was from weeks ago as well...are we just going to go through every major poster in bbv and change his title back and forth?

Ryan Beal 11-25-2006 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's true. But I have no idea who gave most of these members their titles. That's why I started this thread and changed many of them yesterday.

Since it's not logged, the only way I can tell if it's 'newer' is by using my own judgment. So it won't be perfect, but I can say that a few weeks does qualify as a newer title in my mind. Also, if you have to change more than a few of these back, that's not keeping custom titles to a minimum.

Gildwulf 11-25-2006 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's true. But I have no idea who gave most of these members their titles. That's why I started this thread and changed many of them yesterday.

Since it's not logged, the only way I can tell if it's 'newer' is by using my own judgment. So it won't be perfect, but I can say that a few weeks does qualify as a newer title in my mind. Also, if you have to change more than a few of these back, that's not keeping custom titles to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I see where you are coming from but if people in BBV have a custom title that says 'BBV Lollercauster Safety Technician' and you didn't put it up, it was either cnfuzzd or me. Odds are it was me. Why not send a PM with a list of people that you see you want logged/changed and we will do that, instead of bringing non-mod posters into the mix.

As for minimizing custom titles, the people who are instrumental to the success of BBV have custom titles, maybe 10 people like Ding Dong, George Ave, T-God, Keikwai, Kiwi, T-God, etc. It is generally a reward for being one of the best or most well-known posters, which I was under the impression custom titles are for. These are the posters that make BBV the highest traffic forum on 2p2 and bring you guys in $$$$. If the admins ask me to remove one custom title for one of these people, to be fair I would have to remove them all.

Nick B. 11-25-2006 04:39 PM

LOL, they are going to stop posting if you take away their custom title. lol.

Also, you aren't restricting it to the best posters of BBV, you give it to pretty much anybody who asks. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...page=0&vc=1

Sniper 11-25-2006 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan, to be fair... this is not what you said that you would do... and I certainly expect that you sent a PM to all the posters who's title you changed... or YOUR actions are no better than a Mod who didn't add a user note or explain an action to a user!

Ryan Beal 11-25-2006 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ryan, to be fair... this is not what you said that you would do...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's exactly what I said I would do.

[ QUOTE ]
and I certainly expect that you sent a PM to all the posters who's title you changed... or YOUR actions are no better than a Mod who didn't add a user note or explain an action to a user!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how many of these I changed yesterday? I thought I was being pretty nice by leaving a note in the profile of each of them, instead of just leaving it blank like the mod did. I stopped counting after about 20 members, and at that point I also seriously started thinking that we really should make custom titles as rare as different name colors. I found many, many insulting titles, and that's just not good for the site. But I'm going to give you guys a chance to adjust to the new title guidelines, and hopefully things will work out.

Gildwulf 11-25-2006 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, they are going to stop posting if you take away their custom title. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is analagous to a company rewarding their top salesman by giving them some token like a gold pen, and then taking it back next month because they said they gave out too many and want to keep them to a minimum. It's not the actual value of the pen or the title or whatever, it's the perceived status that goes with it that makes the difference; and please don't tell me that 2p2ers don't care about the status of their titles. The uproar over you guys giving *s is a testament that people do care.

daryn 11-25-2006 06:07 PM

yeah custom titles should be cut down severely in number, kudos to ryan for getting it right.

durron597 11-26-2006 12:53 AM

I've started getting PMs about this, I'm not going to change anyone's back unless they deserve it.

Formerly my policy was a lot more liberal about them but since this started I've thought about it and decided Ryan is right.

StellarWind 11-26-2006 01:43 AM

I have never given anyone a custom title. I have no record to defend.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the OP, I will be removing newer titles that aren't logged. If you want to change it back, the solution is simple. I do believe that by doing this you guys will be encouraged to start logging these. Just remember that custom titles should be kept to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]
This problem should be between you and the mods. Be the boss and tell the people who work for you what you expect. Then they either do it or they aren't mods anymore.

Instead you are using some of your best customers as leverage against the mods. Stripping titles without even the courtesy of an explanation? There is no excuse for putting your customers in the middle because this isn't their problem. Regardless of whether a particular title is restored or not it will never be the same. Customers may forgive bad service but they never forget.

Sniper 11-26-2006 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and I certainly expect that you sent a PM to all the posters who's title you changed... or YOUR actions are no better than a Mod who didn't add a user note or explain an action to a user!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how many of these I changed yesterday? I thought I was being pretty nice by leaving a note in the profile of each of them, instead of just leaving it blank like the mod did. I stopped counting after about 20 members...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan, if you take a step back and think about it for a bit... I think you will see that your statement is the same as those given by mods who do not document user notes, or inform users of actions that impact them.

There really is no excuse for not PMing a user and letting them know you took away their custom title, and why...

If you expect Mods to follow the rules... Admins should be going above and beyond to set the right example!

btw, how many undocumented *'s did you remove... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Surf 11-26-2006 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never given anyone a custom title. I have no record to defend.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This problem should be between you and the mods. Be the boss and tell the people who work for you what you expect. Then they either do it or they aren't mods anymore.

Instead you are using some of your best customers as leverage against the mods. Stripping titles without even the courtesy of an explanation? There is no excuse for putting your customers in the middle because this isn't their problem. Regardless of whether a particular title is restored or not it will never be the same. Customers may forgive bad service but they never forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this sentiment. I've given out maybe 3-4 custom titles in the last year and a half.

Surf

Ryan Beal 11-26-2006 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

btw, how many undocumented *'s did you remove... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

None. Most of those are noted these days anyway, and I appreciate the OOT mods doing that.

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan, if you take a step back and think about it for a bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

My honest opinion is that you guys are going too far by saying that it's my responsibility to PM each and every member about these title changes. I don't believe that's ever been a guideline for anyone else (excluding the OOT and lounge title warning systems), although it wouldn't be the worst idea either. Still, since this doesn't seem to be going over very well, I'll cease removing any titles that I believe were given before this thread. I took care of quite a few already. And when I remove new ones in the future, I will PM the member. But asking me to PM as many members as I had to change all at once is, frankly, being unrealistic and a bit silly.

I'm aware that I'm not perfect, though, and if I had to do it over I would have made an announcement in AtF about this before I changed them the other day. If I have to personally take any major action again, it will be at the system level, and everyone will be notified in AtF.

StellarWind:
[ QUOTE ]
Customers may forgive bad service but they never forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[censored] 11-26-2006 04:39 AM

ill volunteer for removal duty and ill pm

NT! 11-26-2006 06:58 AM

does this mean i'm not getting a new custom title?

MEbenhoe 11-26-2006 11:29 AM

lets remove all custom titles of non greens/reds and start over from scratch.

Dids 11-26-2006 12:24 PM

Stellarwind is right. New policy is fine, changing old titles w/o explanation is bad.

I don't get people who feel custom titles are a problem at all. They're fun, people like them, they don't do any harm.

The only real problem is when people give them to users unsolicited.

tigerite 11-26-2006 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started getting PMs about this, I'm not going to change anyone's back unless they deserve it.

Formerly my policy was a lot more liberal about them but since this started I've thought about it and decided Ryan is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've changed one ever, and that was pergesu's after some constant nagging by him. Ages ago now. If it's been changed back, I shall laugh at him.

Gildwulf 11-26-2006 09:01 PM

I agree 100% with stellarwind.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
And when I remove new ones in the future, I will PM the member. But asking me to PM as many members as I had to change all at once is, frankly, being unrealistic and a bit silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not get a mod to do it? ie just pick a mod and ask him to notify the people for you...5 people/mod and you can do the whole forum like this if you want.

Ryan Beal 11-26-2006 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more that's starting to seem like the best option to me as well. I want to give this a chance first, though.

Jim Kuhn 11-26-2006 09:29 PM

Are there specific patterns you want changed? What titles do you find offensive? Are posters complaining about titles or is it one of your 'pet peeves'?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Mike Haven 11-26-2006 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more that's starting to seem like the best option to me as well. I want to give this a chance first, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I so hate the following phrase, but I really hope you are third levelling?

Ryan Beal 11-26-2006 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there specific patterns you want changed? What titles do you find offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any insulting custom title needs to go. These titles should also be kept to a minimum and logged in the notes. That's all we've been asking, and we're really only having this discussion because two of those guidelines haven't been followed by at least a few mods to this point. I'm hoping this will solve the problem without us needing to get more drastic.

[ QUOTE ]
Are posters complaining about titles or is it one of your 'pet peeves'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. Some of them have sent in complaints, yes, and recently a couple of the other admins and I had a short discussion about it by e-mail.

MH:
[ QUOTE ]
I so hate the following phrase, but I really hope you are third levelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.