Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How are the police allowed to do this? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=260424)

Boris 11-14-2006 08:48 PM

How are the police allowed to do this?

Here's the story on ESPN Big Scary Black Dude Tasered

The real story is Weary, a pro football player, was pulled over for being black and driving an Impala.

According to the article police were on alert for criminal activity. According to police, Weary looked "very suspicious". He looked at police several times. This also seemed suspicious. They noticed that Weary did not have a front license plate so they pulled him over. Weary wants to know why he's being pulled over; the police won't say and things escalate from there. He was tasered and hauled off to jail. So far no bail and no charges.

This just seems incredibly effed up that the cops could do this.

Dominic 11-14-2006 08:51 PM

Re: How are the police allowed to do this?

I guess Weary was tired of being profiled.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Isura 11-14-2006 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This just seems incredibly effed up that the cops could do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you live in America?

CaucasianAsian29 11-14-2006 08:55 PM

so many police are racist mo fo's

James Boston 11-14-2006 08:55 PM

"After exiting the car he continued to be verbally combative toward the two officers and refused their commands, police said."

"It was then that he pushed the officer away and was shot with a Taser..."

Whether he was being wrongfully profiled or not, his actions gave the police a legitimate excuse to do what they did.

bobman0330 11-14-2006 08:57 PM

He was missing one of his license plates...

NT! 11-14-2006 08:58 PM

cops can pull you over on pretty much whatever premise they want

if he actually pushed one of them that was dumb

Alobar 11-14-2006 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a law in some states?

In arizona, NO ONE has a front plate

JasonK 11-14-2006 08:59 PM

If the NFL would have put the Texans in LA instead of Houston he would have been fine cause you don't need the front plate here. So the NFL is to blame.

Dementia 11-14-2006 08:59 PM

I am tired of the "racial profiling" hysteria.

The fact is, if you were to research those imprisoned for grand theft auto, a predominant number are African-American males. That is completely not detabale. So naturally, cops had suspicions that a scary looking black dude driving with no front plate, could of been up to no good. Rather than ignoring it, they questioned him, and ended up being shoved and taunted.

Would you rather law enforcement turn blind eyes to avoid possibly making a mistake, or would you rather them pursue every hunch within reason, and nab some car jackers?

Should airport screeners not unfairly profile shady looking Muslims, and instead 'randomly' frisk old white women in the name of political correctness?

amplify 11-14-2006 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weary pushed an officer away and was shot with a Taser after he stepped toward officers when they ordered him to put his hands on the vehicle, police said.

[/ QUOTE ]
He deserved to get tasered.

guids 11-14-2006 09:01 PM

Ya, I dont know or care about this specific situaion, but I have a bumper sticker with the Italian Flag on my rear window, so when Im driving around in my black escalade on 22's I dont get pulled over every 2 blocks.

xorbie 11-14-2006 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact is, if you were to research those imprisoned for grand theft auto, a predominant number are African-American males.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually doesn't prove anything.

Dementia 11-14-2006 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact is, if you were to research those imprisoned for grand theft auto, a predominant number are African-American males.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This actually doesn't prove anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it establishes a reason to support their hunch.

Alobar 11-14-2006 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact is, if you were to research those imprisoned for grand theft auto, a predominant number are African-American males. That is completely not detabale. So naturally, cops had suspicions that a scary looking black dude driving with no front plate, could of been up to no good. Rather than ignoring it, they questioned him, and ended up being shoved and taunted.

Would you rather law enforcement turn blind eyes to avoid possibly making a mistake, or would you rather them pursue every hunch within reason, and nab some car jackers?

Should airport screeners not unfairly profile shady looking Muslims, and instead 'randomly' frisk old white women in the name of political correctness?

[/ QUOTE ]

the bolded part is the reason people have problems with racial profiling and why your argument sucks

BCPVP 11-14-2006 09:05 PM

"It was then that he pushed the officer away and was shot with a Taser after stepping toward the officers when he was ordered to put his hands on the vehicle. "

"The 6-foot-4, 308-pound right guard..."

What do you expect the police to do when someone who's probably twice their size pushes one of them and starts moving towards the other?

Green Kool Aid 11-14-2006 09:05 PM

dementia,

re-read what you wrote and tell me the flaw in your logic.

you are probably at least 15 or 16, so i'm sure you can do this.

Dementia 11-14-2006 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the bolded part is the reason people have problems with racial profiling and why your argument sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just reality. If someone who is dressed like Osama Bin Laden walks into your local airport, would it be incorrect to question him thoroughly? Wouldn't that be profiling him? YOU HAVE to profile people in these instances, not every person of a particular race, but ones who raise a red flag in your head.

EricW 11-14-2006 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just reality. If someone who is dressed like Osama Bin Laden walks into your local airport, would it be incorrect to question him thoroughly? Wouldn't that be profiling him? YOU HAVE to profile people in these instances, not every person of a particular race, but ones who raise a red flag in your head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, 'cause clearly a black guy driving a nice car is the same as a guy who looks like Osama going to an airport.

Dementia 11-14-2006 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, 'cause clearly a black guy driving a nice car is the same as a guy who looks like Osama going to an airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

The officers alleged he was looking at them suspiciously and driving with no front plate. Who are you to say he wasn't? And if you can agree that far, they had reason to stop him.

Alobar 11-14-2006 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not gunna waste time explaining it, cuz its obvious you wont get it, trying to reason with a racist is like trying to talk evolution with a religious nut.

Just answer me this tho, what exactly made Mr.Weary scary looking....other than being black

Colonel Kataffy 11-14-2006 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd rather law enforcement not be able to pull over people just cause theyre black, even if it means a few black criminals go free.

neuroman 11-14-2006 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It may be reality, it may not be. The problem with allowing police to profile is it opens the door wide for abuse of power (as if that door isn't wide enough as it is.)

Alobar 11-14-2006 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd rather law enforcement not be able to pull over people just cause theyre black, even if it means a few black criminals go free.

[/ QUOTE ]

zomg, but what if one of them gets all hopped up on crack and rapes your daughter...I bet youd change your mind then!!!!

Dementia 11-14-2006 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would your opinion change if the few who went free went off and raped and murdered someone, and the only reason they werent stopped was because the police possibly could be making a mistake?

Exactly. Hypotheticals are silly.

NT! 11-14-2006 09:15 PM

STFU Dementia

Colonel Kataffy 11-14-2006 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zomg, but what if one of them gets all hopped up on crack and rapes your daughter...I bet youd change your mind then!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

solid argument.

Alobar 11-14-2006 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would your opinion change if the few who went free went off and raped and murdered someone, and the only reason they werent stopped was because the police possibly could be making a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, I knew that was coming

guids 11-14-2006 09:16 PM

Al,

big people no matter what color can be scary, he was a lineman after all.

http://static.flickr.com/17/22515259_fb443cbf03_m.jpg

see?

AngusThermopyle 11-14-2006 09:18 PM

Guess he didn't watch this Chris Rock video ( ~NSFW due to language)

george w 11-14-2006 09:19 PM

black people are scary

ItalianFX 11-14-2006 09:21 PM

I didn't read the rest of the replies.

So the police are on higher alert in that area due to criminal activity. They see a car come through and notice what makes the police suspicious:

[ QUOTE ]
They noticed the driver "looking very suspicious" as he looked back and forth at the police several times.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this time, it alerts them and they begin following this car. Now, they can't just stop him because he looks "suspicious," but they can follow him for as long as they want and wait until he violates a traffic law, which gives them probable cause to make a traffic stop. This came when they noticed he didn't have a front license plate, which is probably a law for residents of this area? Pennsylvania doesn't have a front license plate law, so I don't know, but I'm assuming that it is standard for cars registered in that state. They could have followed him and stopped him for anything like not using a turn signal, not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, or any thing else that is a slight violation just for the probable cause to check out what is going on.

Police asked for his driver's license, which is standard, where he didn't give it to them until being asked 3 more times. This alerts the police more, don't you think? He is being more suspicious. If he didn't have anything to hide, why would he be acting this way? I'm not saying he is/was hiding anything, but he could have just came forth with his driver's license and that would be the end of it. I highly doubt that the police knew who he was beforehand, and even if they did, it's still standard procedure what they did up to this point.

The police ask him to get out of his car, being on higher alert, they probably want to search his vehicle or search him. It doesn't say why, so I'm just guessing.

Weary then became more verbally combative and then pushed an officer away. They gave him a chance to put his hands on the vehicle and when he took a step toward the officers, they shot him with a taser.

It's very standard. I don't know why you, OP, think they did something wrong.

Just because he is black has nothing to do with it. Don't be judgmental. If this happened to any other person (white), you wouldn't be starting this thread. And just because he is a pro football player it doesn't mean he has immunity to the laws.

Dementia 11-14-2006 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
STFU Dementia

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I just won't jump on the bandwagon of "OMG he really didn't steal that car, they just stopped him because he was black".

No one here were in their shoes at the time. No one saw the looks he exchanged to them, and if he went so far as to shove them and berate them as they alledge, you can bet he stared them down in a way that'd raise suspicion. If giving the people we trust to protect us the benefit of the doubt is wrong, I guess I am a racist.

BradleyT 11-14-2006 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a law in some states?

In arizona, NO ONE has a front plate

[/ QUOTE ]

When I lived in Iowa I was pulled over for no front plate - it's required in many states.

mosdef 11-14-2006 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with your line of "reasoning" is that in the U.S. you are supposed to be protected from search and seizure without probable cause (remember that Constitution thing?). The fact is that a very small percentage of all races are actually criminals. Therefore, you can't pull someone over on the basis of their race. You need probable cause. Not relative cause.

amplify 11-14-2006 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
STFU Dementia

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I just won't jump on the bandwagon of "OMG he really didn't steal that car, they just stopped him because he was black".

[/ QUOTE ]
No, because you are being an annoying assmunch about it.

mosdef 11-14-2006 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes everyone else is on the "bandwagon" because they are right and you are wrong.

inside?? 11-14-2006 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so many police are racist mo fo's

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they're just realists. Don't you ever watch "Cops"?

Colonel Kataffy 11-14-2006 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
STFU Dementia

[/ QUOTE ]

No one here were in their shoes at the time. No one saw the looks he exchanged to them, and if he went so far as to shove them and berate them as they alledge, you can bet he stared them down in a way that'd raise suspicion. If giving the people we trust to protect us the benefit of the doubt is wrong, I guess I am a racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't the desire to trust police that makes you a racist.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is, if you were to research those imprisoned for grand theft auto, a predominant number are African-American males. That is completely not detabale. So naturally, cops had suspicions that a scary looking black dude driving with no front plate, could of been up to no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the belief that the higher conviction rates of blacks justifies that a cop should NATURALLY be suspicious of them that makes you a racist.

italianstang 11-14-2006 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Argument doesn't suck, and you pointing out the "scary" part is quite racist, I assume that you think that all black people look scary. The reason he is a scary-looking black dude is because Weary looks like a scary looking black dude.

Below are some pictures for comparison of scary looking Weary and some non-scary looking black people.

http://www.netitor.com/photos/school...Weary_Fred.jpg
http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentra...so_ribeiro.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/c3fd390d.jpg