Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Travel tips. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=259548)

JMP300z 11-13-2006 07:11 PM

Travel tips.

I was about to book a flight to vegas and someone told me to wait until tomorrow (tuesday) to save a few bucks. This got me thinking, anyone have any other tips for savings or stuff when traveling?

-JP

The DaveR 11-13-2006 07:13 PM

Re: Travel tips.

[ QUOTE ]
I was about to book a flight to vegas and someone told me to wait until tomorrow (tuesday) to save a few bucks. This got me thinking, anyone have any other tips for savings or stuff when traveling?

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did they tell you to wait?

JMP300z 11-13-2006 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: i guess tuesday is cheaper than monday which is cheaper than friday-sunday. Probably has to do with how many people book over the weekends.

NLSoldier 11-13-2006 07:16 PM

that was a pretty assanine response.

obv thedaver was asking why it is taht waiting till tues will save you a few bucks.

edit: good edit.

mrkilla 11-13-2006 07:16 PM

um i think he ment Fly on not book on...

JasonK 11-13-2006 07:17 PM

If you're in the LA area check out flying to/from ONT instead of LAX. One of the least busy airports I've been too.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-13-2006 07:29 PM

I'm incredibly fast going through security. Like, nobody is faster. My belt is off, electronics/watch/change in my carry-on, shoes are ready to slip off, laptop out. I rule.

This isn't really relevant to your OP, just wanted to say how awesome I am at security.

JMP300z 11-13-2006 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm incredibly fast going through security. Like, nobody is faster. My belt is off, electronics/watch/change in my carry-on, shoes are ready to slip off, laptop out. I rule.

This isn't really relevant to your OP, just wanted to say how awesome I am at security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some questions:

1. Does this save you time or do you still wait for the idiots in front of you?

2. Did you learn this as a male stripper?

3. Does this save you money?

4. Whats your 40 yrd dash time?

5. Do you pressure your travel mates to keep up...perhaps pushing for a race? or maybe offering to make out with a dude (remember your not gay) in order to get them fired up?

-JP

The DaveR 11-13-2006 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: i guess tuesday is cheaper than monday which is cheaper than friday-sunday. Probably has to do with how many people book over the weekends.

[/ QUOTE ]

It this true? The only consistently obvious price difference I've observed involves a Saturday overnight stay. I've never noticed price discrimination between flying on Mon or Tues. This logic also totally flies in the face of charging a premium for business passengers.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-13-2006 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Does this save you time or do you still wait for the idiots in front of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

it can, b/c I pass the people who are still lacing up their hiking boots or figuring out where their hat is. if I need to get to the gate in a hurry, I just saved 10 seconds!

[ QUOTE ]
2. Did you learn this as a male stripper?

3. Does this save you money?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. No.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Whats your 40 yrd dash time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran 4.7 in high school, but that was 20 pounds ago.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Do you pressure your travel mates to keep up...perhaps pushing for a race? or maybe offering to make out with a dude (remember your not gay) in order to get them fired up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually just 'sigh' at them condescendingly. It lets them know how superior I am in a passive/aggresive manner.

guids 11-13-2006 07:35 PM

dunno, but when I booked my flight to atlanta, there was a 100-something dollar price difference between flying on a monday, and a wed, I ended up flying on a wednesday.

The DaveR 11-13-2006 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dunno, but when I booked my flight to atlanta, there was a 100-something dollar price difference between flying on a monday, and a wed, I ended up flying on a wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just priced a Mon/Wed trip, Tues/Thurs trip, and a Mon/Sun trip. Weekday flights were priced identically, Mon/Sun was 50% lower.

guids 11-13-2006 07:40 PM

If bet whoever told the OP had the same experience as me, and just figured it was fact? Here is a travel tip, if your dates are flexible, try a bunch of different combos of days!

The DaveR 11-13-2006 07:46 PM

Well, if Tues is legitimately priced more cheaply than Mon I'd like to know.

JMP300z 11-13-2006 08:03 PM

The person who gave me the tip said it was cheaper to book the flight ONLINE on a tuesday not book it to travel on a tuesday. Sorry for the confusion.

-JP

JMP300z 11-13-2006 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um i think he ment Fly on not book on...

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed this...I meant book on but maybe flying on is too.

-JP

The DaveR 11-13-2006 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The person who gave me the tip said it was cheaper to book the flight ONLINE on a tuesday not book it to travel on a tuesday. Sorry for the confusion.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Well, good luck with life.

milliondollaz 11-13-2006 08:38 PM

though i don't think it's gospel, i've read before on semi-reputable sites (either CNN or Forbes.com) that 21 to 24 days before your flight on a Wednesday is the cheapest time to book your flight, if your travel days are specific.

i remember this detail because i wondered where the hell their information came from.

my guess is a psychic, but it was published nonetheless

inside?? 11-13-2006 09:24 PM

http://www.fatwallet.com/c/63/

Also if you flies out of LA see if Spirit Air flys to your location. They often have the best price.

meep_42 11-13-2006 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monday and Tuesday are the biggest booking days in the airline industry. Mostly because people are sitting at work dreaming of their next vacation, I'd guess.

-d

meep_42 11-13-2006 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It this true? The only consistently obvious price difference I've observed involves a Saturday overnight stay. I've never noticed price discrimination between flying on Mon or Tues. This logic also totally flies in the face of charging a premium for business passengers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true. Airlines have a much more difficult time filling planes on Tuesday, Wednesday (to a lesser extent), and Saturday - to the point that there are specific fares filed only applicable on those days, usually with a 14 or 21 day advance purchase requirement to avoid impacting business travel.

-d

fouronefive 11-13-2006 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I usually just 'sigh' at them condescendingly. It lets them know how superior I am in a passive/aggresive manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously the best approach. I also like to make sure to use my bins to subetly push theirs forward. And WTF is up with people who put EVERYTHING in a bin?? Do your shoes really need a separate bin to protect them from getting xrayed? Obviously the people behind you don't need the bins, so probably you should put each shoe in their own container. And how do you make it to the front of security without figuring out you can't bring liquids/knives/loaded guns onbard? Or, if EVERYONE else in line is taking off their shoes and xraying them, wouldn't it be a safe assumption to guess you also need to do the same?

Here's my tip: Google search for kayak, it searches across several travel websites, i book most of my business travel that way.