Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   $31 or $131 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=257677)

JordanIB 11-11-2006 02:15 AM

$31 or $131

You organize a get-together at a sports bar to watch a college sporting event...~150 people the bar would never have there on Friday night.

The owner brings you a beer on the house during the night to show his thanks.

Your group of 4 runs up a tab of $131.

The waitress brings you a credit card slip to sign that says $31.

Sign and leave or say something?

Killua 11-11-2006 02:18 AM

Re: $31 or $131

Why would the owner take off 100$ but not the full amount, looks like it was a mistake to me.

splashpot 11-11-2006 02:18 AM

If you ever intend on coming back, the owner is almost sure to remember you. Future drinks on the house > saving $100 now.

edfurlong 11-11-2006 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would the owner take off 100$ but not the full amount, looks like it was a mistake to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wants to know if its okay for him him to screw them out of $100 since he filled the bar. I voted no.

JordanIB 11-11-2006 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm well aware. That's my point. It was completely rung up by the waitress and everything. The owner wasn't doing me any favors past the free beer.

My question was weather you take advantage of the mistake or point it out.

Also, this isn't a place where I'm a regular. The owner doesn't really know me, and will probably never know if I made good on the mistake, and will only come across me again the 2 more times over the next year where I organize a group again.

JuntMonkey 11-11-2006 02:43 AM

In this situation I'd tell them. In a chain restaurant when they forget to put on a drink or even an entree, I don't say anything, but will keep it in mind for the tip.

Toe-Knee 11-11-2006 02:44 AM

Pretty simple, I think, If you have a moral problem with it, like you won't be able to sleep at night, then yes. Otherwise if you go there a lot tell em, if you don't [censored] it, freeeeeeee drinks.

ThaSaltCracka 11-11-2006 02:53 AM

If you were getting hooked up, the boss would have come over and said something. Since he didn't, it was a mistake by the waitress. The best way to handle it would have been to go to the boss and mention the mistake. One of two things will happen. He will thank you for mentioning it, and may well say don't worry about it. Or he will correct the problem, but realize you are a stand up guy and will be much more accomadating next time you bring a large group in. So you could set yourself up for more free [censored].

Also, since you are bringing 150 people into a bar, why not set this up in advance? You could have gotten better deals for everyone involved.

JordanIB 11-11-2006 02:53 AM

It's a place I really only go 2 or 3 times a year because they have the satellite package which carries my alma mater's hockey games.

I saw the $31 and pointed it out the waitress. She came back with another credit card receipt for $100, so I thought she was cutting us a break for pointing out the error. Then 2 seconds later I realized that was in addition to the original receipt.

Kinda sucked to point it out and not have it recognized in anyway. Oh well. Hopefully karma will bring it back to me one day.

x2ski 11-11-2006 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You organize a get-together at a sports bar to watch a college sporting event...~150 people the bar would never have there on Friday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the owner like? Was he a nice guy trying to run a bar where people could have a good time along with him making a good profit as well?

Or was he a guy where you were a little offended by his "generosity" of giving you one free beer for all the business you brought him for the night? If it were me, I would rather he not given me attention at all, rather than giving me a free pint.

In my mind, a "sports bar" is a decent-sized place that brings in a lot of clientele on a regular basis, but the way you talk indactes that a genuinely nice guy runs the place, it's not that big, and that he gave you the beer as a sincere gesture of appreciation.

In that case, I'd correct the mistake and pay up no problem. If it were a Scores or something, F-em.

11-11-2006 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a place I really only go 2 or 3 times a year because they have the satellite package which carries my alma mater's hockey games.

I saw the $31 and pointed it out the waitress. She came back with another credit card receipt for $100, so I thought she was cutting us a break for pointing out the error. Then 2 seconds later I realized that was in addition to the original receipt.

Kinda sucked to point it out and not have it recognized in anyway. Oh well. Hopefully karma will bring it back to me one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it sucked. But you did the right thing. For all you know the owner might have docked the waitress for the mistake, and that would suck.

Anyway, that doesn't matter cause you paid what you owed.

We all hope people don't screw us when we mess up, so it's only fair to do the right thing at times like this.

NT! 11-11-2006 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you did the right thing. the reason it's right is not because you get a cookie from the waitress.

JordanIB 11-11-2006 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the owner like? Was he a nice guy trying to run a bar where people could have a good time along with him making a good profit as well?

Or was he a guy where you were a little offended by his "generosity" of giving you one free beer for all the business you brought him for the night? If it were me, I would rather he not given me attention at all, rather than giving me a free pint.

In my mind, a "sports bar" is a decent-sized place that brings in a lot of clientele on a regular basis, but the way you talk indactes that a genuinely nice guy runs the place, it's not that big, and that he gave you the beer as a sincere gesture of appreciation.

In that case, I'd correct the mistake and pay up no problem. If it were a Scores or something, F-em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's pretty much why I did it. He's a good guy, loves when we come there for the televised games, loves how raucous we get, loves the spirit. And it packs the place. And we have a "home" to watch our games. (It's Cornell hockey by the way...who knows, some folks on here may have even been there tonight at Ship of Fools). He sets out extra tables and chairs, puts nearly all the TV's on our game -- everything's very accommodating. So it's a win-win.

He definitely falls into the first category of being a nice guy. Last year when our NCAA quarterfinal game wasn't coming on TV at the expected time, he (after probably being told by a Cornell fan) went around to nearly every table to explain that the game was being delayed slightly because the previous one was running over. And tonight, at first I thought he was just bringing me another beer because the waitress was so busy, until I realized it was on the house as a simple token of appreciation.

Ok. Enough rambling. Just wanted to see the poll results. I'm surprised it was so close, although without context it may be more ambigious. I guess given all that I just said, I really didn't have to think twice about correcting the mistake.

Klompy 11-11-2006 03:46 AM

This is really simple, if you plan on going back to this place you pay the full price and a good tip, if you don't you pay the price they gave you plus a good tip and never come back again.

Edit: also only try and screw him if you're paying with cash

ThaSaltCracka 11-11-2006 04:39 AM

Jordan, if you organize these events you should definitely start talking to the bartender. Try to get some deals or some sort of kick back. You have to be spending some amount of time/energy organizing it, and he is reaping the benefits of your hard work. Make it more regular(2 times a month?) and then talk to the guy. Get some free [censored] for a reason.

gisb0rne 11-11-2006 05:34 AM

Is it worth a measley $100 to screw someone for a mistake on the bill? I don't get people.

duvvard 11-11-2006 06:44 AM

I guess I lack morals, because the thought of mentioning that my bill lacked 100$ would never cross my mind.

edfurlong 11-11-2006 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I lack morals, because the thought of mentioning that my bill lacked 100$ would never cross my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sweat it, they would just add it to your credit card anyway.

Xylocain 11-11-2006 07:54 AM

Pay up, and it's not even close.

DougShrapnel 11-11-2006 08:37 AM

Paying full price for drinks at a bar is a sucker move for people that can't bring customers into a bar. Tip well, and continue paying close to nothing for booze. Enjoy your new arrangment with the bar.

BigSoonerFan 11-11-2006 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the right thing to do.

BigSoonerFan 11-11-2006 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sweat it, they would just add it to your credit card anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. Adding a 1 is easy. I've had some of them try to do it even when it wasn't incorrect. I guess 20%+ isn't enough tip for some people.

Peter Harris 11-11-2006 12:58 PM

if the food/drinks/service was terrible, maybe.

you were given free drinks and shown appreciated. I say speak up.

CappyAA 11-11-2006 01:01 PM

You get good karma for paying up. Mentioning it is definitely the right thing to do there. If you were getting hooked up, the waitress would have just smiled or mentioned that the owner took care of part of your tab.

Jasper109 11-11-2006 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

punkass 11-11-2006 02:45 PM

How about paying the $31, and tipping $100 to the waitress? Burden of morality is on her now.

prohornblower 11-11-2006 04:13 PM

I'd just pay it and leave. If you brought them 150 customers, you made them a hell of a lot more than 100 bucks. Seriously, sports bars make $100 like nothing. I don't see this as a very big deal at all.

Maybe I'd give them some extra service in the future to sort of give them the $100 back, but I hate wasting time disputing a bill. No need to get anyone involved in this.

guids 11-11-2006 04:19 PM

I think the manager gave you 100$ comp, most likely, rarely if you are running a tab can you mess it up that bad, the waitress would have known. I would have said real quick, hey, 31$ is this right? she would have said yes most likely, leave a 50$ and go.

Montezuma21 11-11-2006 04:20 PM

IMHO, if you make less money than the waitress paqy $31, otherwise pay the whole thing

guids 11-11-2006 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, if you make less money than the waitress paqy $31, otherwise pay the whole thing

[/ QUOTE ]

commie

El Diablo 11-11-2006 05:41 PM

J,

You definitely did the right thing, but it's very weird that the owner is not hooking you up for these events. I'd expect that you'd always get comped at these events and would expect that you'd get comped a lot other times you visit as well.

Assani Fisher 11-11-2006 06:51 PM

Why do you even point out that you filled the bar? That has nothing to do with the actual question, and it looks like you're trying to use that as an excuse for stealing.

Pudge714 11-11-2006 07:05 PM

This poll should be if you could steal $100 would you.

HavanaBanana 11-11-2006 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just pay it and leave. If you brought them 150 customers, you made them a hell of a lot more than 100 bucks. Seriously, sports bars make $100 like nothing. I don't see this as a very big deal at all.

Maybe I'd give them some extra service in the future to sort of give them the $100 back, but I hate wasting time disputing a bill. No need to get anyone involved in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This says a lot about you.

ToT

guids 11-11-2006 07:43 PM

Also, I dont know if this is the norm, but I do this a lot for friends of mine that are opening up a place, ie tonight, Im going to a charity event, and Ill probably end up bringing 30 or so people from there to a bar my buddy just opened, 99.9% of the time its understood I and the broad Im trying to nail drink for free.

CardSharpCook 11-11-2006 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This poll should be if you could steal $100 would you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting that to some people it matters who you are stealing from.

Peter Harris 11-11-2006 07:57 PM

additionally, as this was such a success you could discuss with the manager directly regarding organising these more regularly in exchange for an open agreement on comping. the manager will be happy to discuss this, and likely be open to the idea. What's to lose.

guids 11-11-2006 07:58 PM

def, this is how I got started doing a lot of things .

AJackson 11-11-2006 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This is similar to the logic I use to justify why I shoplift from large department stores and steal gas from coporate owned gas stations.

I figure, my family spends lots of money with them and so have I in the past, plus they make tons of money anyway.

Of course, in this situation, you didn't consider that most bars make the waitress pay for shortages.

duvvard 11-11-2006 08:12 PM

My drug dealer once gave me a 1/4 instead of the 8th I had paid for, should I have told him?