Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Check-up hand - TPWK from BB in 5-handed pot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=247120)

Aaron W. 10-28-2006 04:03 PM

Check-up hand - TPWK from BB in 5-handed pot

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...

SuLi 10-28-2006 04:08 PM

Re: Check-up hand - TPWK from BB in 5-handed pot

I would bet, trying to protect my hand.

Deviance 10-28-2006 04:10 PM

Bet. You should rarely call a bet with a weak hand in such a situation, but betting with it here is probably correct. In addition, being shorthanded it may devalue your opponent's holdings somewhat.

cold_cash 10-28-2006 04:14 PM

Bleh.

I would check and see what's going on while not being anywhere near excited about my hand or my prospects.

JerBear77 10-28-2006 05:41 PM

*grunch*
check call and reeval.

Nothing is folding here with 3 players behind you. All you are doing is building up the pot. I don't like a C/R here as we have no idea if we are good or not and will have a difficult decision on the river if the turn is blank.

JerBear77 10-28-2006 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet, trying to protect my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands are folding here that we would like to fold??

Then after that question.....

What hands are calling this bet that we want to stay in?

Str8Fish 10-28-2006 05:52 PM

not a big pot, vulnerable to a flush draw and a small possibility of a straight draw. Wouldn't like to see your Jd or 3d outs hit on the turn. I c/c.

btspider 10-28-2006 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bleh.

I would check and see what's going on while not being anywhere near excited about my hand or my prospects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xhad 10-28-2006 06:20 PM

Check, always fold for 2, for 1 bet depends on the precise action. Raise, fold, or call are all plausible for one bet.

Absolution 10-28-2006 07:19 PM

I would probably check this and see what the limpers do. If the button bets when checked to I'll probably go for the raise then. I don't like getting trapped by these BB hands. Someone gave me the advice to generally check these multiway to see what happens behind. With 2 less people I would play it more aggressively.

MrWookie 10-28-2006 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check, always fold for 2, for 1 bet depends on the precise action. Raise, fold, or call are all plausible for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 handed I would tend to bet, and certainly with just 2 opponents. With 5 to the flop, though, this is my plan

Aaron W. 10-28-2006 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero checks. So let's see what can happen...

Situation 1:
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero...

Situation 2:
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero...

Situation 3:
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero...

Situation 4:
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero...

MrWookie 10-28-2006 08:15 PM

1. Raise

2. Call

3. Call

4. Close between call and fold. I lean fold.

antneye 10-28-2006 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Raise

2. Call

3. Call

4. Close between call and fold. I lean fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on 1 &amp; 2, but for 3 why aren't we raising here? It is very similar to situation 1. Unless we have reads I am raising here. 4 seems like more call than fold. We are getting nice odds to peel here. Why shouldn't we see a card and re-evaluate?

Edit: OK, 3 is not that similar to one, but with only me and villain left I am thinking I have a shot at this pot and my raise is an attempt to take control of the hand and better define his holding. If he re-raises me I think I can let it go right there.

Shillx 10-28-2006 09:25 PM

This flop is right in the happy zone for the limpers. I'd check and see what develops.

Xhad 10-28-2006 10:11 PM

Situation 1 you raise because button will probably stab with a lot of hands, and people are less likely to slowplay on this particular board, and with all the draws you wouldn't mind getting it HU considering how many cards can beat you if everyone stays in.

2 you're still likely to have the best hand but less likely to fold people with a raise (SB almost always has a draw, so raising won't protect you from that draw coming in), so you call and reevaluate on the turn.

3 there's still a good chance you're best and most of the field has folded already, so again you're calling/reevaluating

4 you almost certainly don't have the best hand, and you're only barely getting odds on a 5-outer, and pretty much all of your outs except the non-diamond 3s are seriously tainted, and there are a million redraws to dodge on the river, so I'd fold but it seems close.

Xhad 10-28-2006 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: OK, 3 is not that similar to one, but with only me and villain left I am thinking I have a shot at this pot and my raise is an attempt to take control of the hand and better define his holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the type of hand that doesn't want the betting lead, and exactly the type of board where bets and raises aren't necessarily going to mean that much.

Bilgefisher 10-28-2006 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: OK, 3 is not that similar to one, but with only me and villain left I am thinking I have a shot at this pot and my raise is an attempt to take control of the hand and better define his holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the type of hand that doesn't want the betting lead, and exactly the type of board where bets and raises aren't necessarily going to mean that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered my question before I could ask it. Basically the big difference between 1 and 3 is position? Good response Xhad, answered quite a few questions for me.

Xhad 10-29-2006 12:01 AM

The position of the bettor, and also the fact that the main reason to raise the flop is to get it HU and in situation 3 it that will usually happen anyway.

Aaron W. 10-29-2006 12:26 AM

Here's the real hand:

SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls.

What will happen on the turn? What cards will make you bet-call? Bet-fold? Check-call? Check-fold? Bet-3Bet?

Absolution 10-29-2006 12:32 AM

I'm having a hard time thinking of a card that comes that makes me fold this. I'm committed to a showdown at this point unless I had a read that he was passive. My read here would matter more than the card.

I could see checking and calling down any A though.

Xhad 10-29-2006 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a hard time thinking of a card that comes that makes me fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a diamond, particularly one that also completes a straight?