Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   *s (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=245777)

Ryan Beal 10-26-2006 04:49 PM

*s

One way or another, posters need to be made aware of why they are getting these. If this isn't done, they're just going to end up contacting all the OOT mods or asking about it in AtF later on anyway. Plus, it's hard for people to change their ways when they aren't sure what they've done. So please let them know.

Nick B. 10-26-2006 04:55 PM

Re: *s

So you don't think the 100 response posts in ATF alert people to what is not acceptable in oot?

Ryan Beal 10-26-2006 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you don't think the 100 response posts in ATF alert people to what is not acceptable in oot?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point. Besides, people are still going to complain about getting them. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

SamIAm 10-26-2006 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's acceptable is largely "Don't start threads that suck." I've seen sucky threads that got (and deserved) stars, but I assume the OP didn't know it sucked before submitting.

PMs for *s do seem reasonable, but mostly because I'm not the one who'll have to talk to hundreds of sucky posters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

Ryan Beal 10-26-2006 05:07 PM

It doesn't have to be a PM. Posting in the thread works too if it hasn't been deleted.

diebitter 10-26-2006 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't have to be a PM. Posting in the thread works too if it hasn't been deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could ship it to a dump forum with a note attached explaining the * [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MEbenhoe 10-26-2006 06:11 PM

New Idea:

When someone asks why they got a star, tell them its a special gold star for being so awesome(sucky), and if they hit the magical 3rd star level they'll get a special prize(new account). So keep up the good work(sucky posting) as we'd like to reward(ban) as many of your type as possible(mass culling).

ajmargarine 10-26-2006 06:13 PM

Diebitter for Poster Rehabilitation forum mod!

daryn 10-26-2006 11:10 PM

i have been sending a pm immediately with details. i like this idea.

The Dude 10-28-2006 01:56 AM

I've been doing this consistently, with only rare exceptions, and it's usually through PM. I think it's important for someone to know why they got a *.

deacsoft 10-28-2006 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's important for someone to know why they got a *.

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure.

ajmargarine 10-28-2006 02:33 PM

BBV thread where users are hating on the star system. As you can see, it bugs certain posters to no end when they get a star. I have no idea why it's such a wonderful thing for users to look negatively upon 2plus2.

--There's no reason stars can't be done privately in the user notes with pm's to users. Barring that reasonable idea, if a user with some history here at 2p2 complains about his star, yet it is deemed that he should keep his star, he should have a default title reissued and the star can go in the user notes. Keep public branding stars for dumb n00bs and egregious errors by established users.

--Someone in that thread mentions independent arbitration as a means to have a users voice heard. Interesting idea (yeah I know, internet--serious business, but interesting nonetheless).

--Petty douche moves by OOT mods reflect badly upon all 2p2 mods. Users think we are all powermad.

Pic to big, star, shut up and deal, no recourse.
You mention star, star, shut up and deal, no recourse.

--it should take alot more than a missized pic for a user who already has a custom title to get a star.

aj

citanul 10-28-2006 02:39 PM

As I posted in the BBV thread, I thought that users who were infrequent OOT posters, who have custom titles, could have the *s moved to their user notes (not removed, just moved), and their custom titles returned. I'm pretty sure this has been done before. I kinda thought that was the standard.

c

[censored] 10-28-2006 02:52 PM

you mean the thread where the same "quality" poster advocates some gay forum war? seriously who cares what he thinks. the fact that *'s piss people off so much is a good reason to keep them.

i suggest the following solution. someone bitches about their *, they have it removed and are promptly exiled from OOT for good

Nick B. 10-28-2006 03:05 PM

Great idea AJ, we should reward the people who are too stupid to follow the rules and then bitch about their stupidity.

citanul 10-28-2006 03:14 PM

nick,

i think aj's point is more "great idea aj, perhaps we shouldn't try to ruin a user's enjoyment of the site because they [censored] up in oot, because while oot is very popular it's not the only forum here."

c

ajmargarine 10-28-2006 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great idea AJ, we should reward the people who are too stupid to follow the rules and then bitch about their stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this attitude is why people think some OOT mods are power hungry douches. You look at 2p2 users as people too stupid to follow the rules.

Users make mistakes. And, as is the case with alot of these stars, they make small minor inconsequential mistakes in ignorance. This isn't stupidity or intentionally trying to be a moron. Without the posters there is no 2p2. And you guys seem more than happy to ostracize users. Which carries over into other forums outside of OOT.

Sniper 10-28-2006 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Users make mistakes. And, as is the case with alot of these stars, they make small minor inconsequential mistakes in ignorance. This isn't stupidity or intentionally trying to be a moron. Without the posters there is no 2p2. And you guys seem more than happy to ostracize users. Which carries over into other forums outside of OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I also want to mention that since title changes are Mod decisions, given the new rules in place... it would seem that there should be no more *'ing of users with custom titles!

bluefeet 10-28-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also want to mention that since title changes are Mod decisions, given the new rules in place... it would seem that there should be no more *'ing of users with custom titles!

[/ QUOTE ]

...wondered about this myself. If OOT doesn't trump all other strat forums, maybe the user note *'s are sufficient for those already w/custom titles.

[censored] 10-28-2006 03:49 PM

again its very simple, if someone has a problem with the * system then they can simply not post in OOT, the software now allows this to be enforced. by posting in OOT, they are agreeing to the terms of use, just as they are in the lounge when it comes to avatars, etc.

Nick B. 10-28-2006 03:57 PM

I love how OOT mods not only have to put up [censored] with users who are too dumb to follow the rules, but also put up with [censored] from other [censored] mods who don't realize that the rules are they way they are for a reason. I also think it is clear from this thread that you (AJ) took TWP first * off and gave him a custom title which is against the rules and you should be removed as a mod.

bluefeet 10-28-2006 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
again its very simple, if someone has a problem with the * system then they can simply not post in OOT, the software now allows this to be enforced. by posting in OOT, they are agreeing to the terms of use, just as they are in the lounge when it comes to avatars, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough answer, thx

[censored] 10-28-2006 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...wondered about this myself. If OOT doesn't trump all other strat forums, maybe the user note *'s are sufficient for those already w/custom titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

a possible compromise could be adding the *'s to the existing title. so it would look something like this butthead/*

i still favor a harsher exiling policy though

ajmargarine 10-28-2006 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how OOT mods not only have to put up [censored] with users who are too dumb to follow the rules, but also put up with [censored] from other [censored] mods who don't realize that the rules are they way they are for a reason. I also think it is clear from this thread that you (AJ) took TWP first * off and gave him a custom title which is against the rules and you should be removed as a mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. No, I didn't undo TWP's star. Mat put it in stone that we can't undo other mod's actions and I agree with that rule 100%. Your quick rush to judgment here is sad.

daryn 10-28-2006 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you mean the thread where the same "quality" poster advocates some gay forum war? seriously who cares what he thinks. the fact that *'s piss people off so much is a good reason to keep them.

i suggest the following solution. someone bitches about their *, they have it removed and are promptly exiled from OOT for good

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what i proposed to him in my PM! what's up with posting PM's without my permission too. pretty weak.

Mike Haven 10-28-2006 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a possible compromise could be adding the *'s to the existing title. so it would look something like this butthead/*

[/ QUOTE ]

I would vote for this in the poll that no doubt will follow.

daryn 10-28-2006 04:19 PM

it's so funny, most of the people who bitch about the * system are people who messed up, got one, and now they are all like "F OOT, THEY SUCK, WORTHLESS FORUM, POWERHUNGRY MODS" HAHAHAH it's just a joke to me.

i love the idea of them having the * removed and being exiled from OOT.. and how could they not love it also? exiled from a forum they hate, run by power hungry mods (laff). it's win/win

another thing that bugs me is when people say dumb stuff like "well isn't that what OOT is all about? retarded posts and trolls?"

NO YOU IDIOTS!

Nick B. 10-28-2006 04:36 PM

TWP should be exiled. I don't want him posting in OOT anymore. What a bitch.

iron81 10-28-2006 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TWP should be exiled. I don't want him posting in OOT anymore. What a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]
God, get over yourself. Thanks for taking my title as the mod on the biggest power trip. There is absolutely zero reason why a * needs to be public. You say that it serves as a lesson to posters? How the hell are they supposed to learn anything when there is no explanation accompanying the * in the title? Posting an explanation in the thread is one thing, but a * in the title is simply a scarlet letter that just pisses people off; good people in the case of TWP.

There are a lot of people who vote with their feet and don't post in OOT because of the overmodding. That's one of the reason why BBV is about to overtake OOT in popularity.

citanul 10-28-2006 04:49 PM

ok, but seriously:

what is the reason that *s need to be visible on the undertitle instead of just visible in user notes? the users will know when they have a star because you will notify them of the reasoning behind them getting a *, and putting the * in the usernotes instead of in the undertitle means that there is less chance of mod bias toward giving *s to people who have *s already more frequently than people who don't.

censored, i really don't think that your answer to bluefeet adequately responds to his, and my above, point. though i think that the problem/disparity was obviously worse when users couldn't be exiled just from oot. and perhaps it makes it pretty irrelevent. i just think that if someone's been here for 5 years and has 10,000 posts, there's not much good argument for screwing with them for clerical reasons, which is all putting the * in the undertitle really is.

for absurdity, what if the FAQ for the STTF said "any user making a really good post gets a custom undertitle." then 1) any time you put a * on one of the users i changed for this reason would be undoing my moderator action 2) my rule would be much as silly as actually needing to display the *.

i don't see why someone who posts infrequently *but doesn't hate oot and never want to go there again* shouldn't be able to have their * commuted to their user notes, and like i said, i'm pretty sure it's been done before, several times.

finally, does the lounge have the ability to exile people? it seems it should, by your logic. it should also have the ability to give *-type markings.

meh.

citanul

citanul 10-28-2006 04:52 PM

iron,

i missed it, when did you take that particular championship belt from sniper?

all oot mods,

i think that it would be totally reasonable that any user, regardless of seniority, etc, can have any number of *s removed and their titles returned to whatever they were, if they agree to oot exiling.

daryn,

no, the forum for retarded crap and trolls is pretty obviously bbv.

citanul

Sniper 10-28-2006 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iron,
i missed it, when did you take that particular championship belt from sniper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I forgot to switch accounts...

Seriously, I don't think power triping is either my or Iron's thing... [censored] holds the lock on power tripping, and anyone who's tried to emulate any of his techniques has failed miserably [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

daryn 10-28-2006 05:12 PM

now TWP posts an aim conversation i just had with him without asking me. are there any repercussions for something like this?

diebitter 10-28-2006 05:23 PM

This storm in a teacup shows some seriously poor thinking.

First, what do the oot mods think *s are for?

1) punishment?
2) Educating the offender?
3) Educating others?

seems like the way its wielded generally by some (and I stress some, not all) oot mods is (1) only. If you aren't seeking to 'educate' (or at least explain the * to the poster), you're going to get this nitty whining forever.

Finally, if you want to do (3), you need to make the * public with a clear explanation in the thread concerned EVERY TIME, so the message gets through. (and this is why threads shouldn't be deleted unless necessary, but locked - or moved to the Phantom Zone/prison forum/Rathole/The Flush/whatever you want to call it).

It's looking like a lot of people are getting confused, angry etc etc because they aren't getting it, because it appears a significant number of *'ings are punishment only, without explanation.

And also, jeez, try being a bit more lenient with posters who've got decent post-count and have been around a bit, and who post in OOT only occasionally. Talk to them first and if they are sorry/understand they did wrong, an agreement to make sure they check the FAQ and stick to it surely suffices in those cases (just check if they're active in strat forums at all, might be an idea)?

Gildwulf 10-28-2006 05:37 PM

Daryn,

Change his title to Sarcastic Bastard *.

Gildwulf 10-28-2006 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now TWP posts an aim conversation i just had with him without asking me. are there any repercussions for something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, he should be spanked thoroughly by you and NT after class.

lol, seriously guys...can you just remove his star and exile him from OOT for a month if you want to save face or whatever? He doesn't want to post in OOT anyways.

Win win.

ajmargarine 10-28-2006 05:44 PM

Meh, let's not compromise for the sake of compromise and set a precedent that still involves the public scarlet letter (if the current system is going to be changed). I favor changing the title back and putting the * in the user notes.

And Daryn, that was very lame of him to post the AIM convo. He's not really helping himself there.

[censored] 10-28-2006 05:53 PM

the lounge has the B system. There may be a wiki entry on it, or perhaps someone else can find the original explanation. its basically a DB'd up * system

[censored] 10-28-2006 06:00 PM

I think there are two issues here.

1) is the TWP issue seperately. I strongly believe we shouldn't reward or cater to this type of RJ esq, bitching and complaining. As was stated in the thread a couple of times I and other mods worked out similar situations over PM/AIM or whatever. I think that if anything TWP should just be perm exiled from OOT at this point.

the 2nd issue is if there is a better way the * system can implemented. Let me first say that this of course should be up to the current OOT mods and ryan to work out and these are just my opinions. Yes in the past I agreed to keep the * in the notes but this was done on a case by case basis primarily for users who contributed productively to strategy forums and who I knew were very unlikely to be repeat offenders.

There is a value in having the * public as it deters others from breaking the rules. The fact that some users get so bent out of shape over getting s * to me shows that its working and has the intended effects.

diebitter 10-28-2006 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the lounge has the B system. There may be a wiki entry on it, or perhaps someone else can find the original explanation. its basically a DB'd up * system

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it is different, has a different purpose. No exiles for x number of offenses, for one.

if you do something banworthy, you get banned end of story. For smaller offenses, you get an ascending number of suspension days per offense with the B# system, which makes it a good tool for 'educating' tools. (B1 = 1 day susp. for an offense means your next offense will be AT LEAST B2, and so on).

We rarely use it tho. It's not a forum that suffers with trolls etc, too low traffic for them.