Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   MNF - Giants @ Boys (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=242555)

Dementia 10-22-2006 07:00 PM

MNF - Giants @ Boys

I'm liking Dallas -3 and the over (44).

Thoughts?

MacGuyV 10-22-2006 07:03 PM

Re: MNF - Giants @ Boys

I love Dallas. Can't see the Giants going 3-0 in the division with 2 road wins.

kyro 10-22-2006 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Dallas and the Giants are even teams on a neutral field? I don't. I expect Giants to win outright.

MacGuyV 10-22-2006 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Dallas and the Giants are even teams on a neutral field? I don't. I expect Giants to win outright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think Dallas is every bit as good on a neutral field. I also think homefield in this one is worth a little something extra given that it's a more important game for Dallas. Both teams are shakey @QB; though the Cowboys problems in that area have just been more publicized because of the endless hype on the Philly game and their guy isn't named "Manning". In any case Bledsoe is generally ok at home.

rjp 10-22-2006 08:06 PM

My numbers show the Giants and Cowboys to be a PICK'EM on a neutral field. Throw in home field advantage and you've got the line pretty much where it is now.

I see now value either way, so I'm saving my money for next week. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

kyro 10-22-2006 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think Dallas is every bit as good on a neutral field. I also think homefield in this one is worth a little something extra given that it's a more important game for Dallas. Both teams are shakey @QB; though the Cowboys problems in that area have just been more publicized because of the endless hype on the Philly game and their guy isn't named "Manning". In any case Bledsoe is generally ok at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I would just like to see the Cowboys beat a team that doesn't suck and blow before I start thinking they're not bad. Then again, a win tomorrow puts them right at the top of the division, so...

Tyler Durden 10-22-2006 10:01 PM

Picking a team seems really tough but I definitely like the over on 45. Both teams are high-scoring and the Giants run D gave up a lot of yardage to Warrick Dunn last week, and Julius Jones has run for over 100 yards in each of his last three games (I think).

niss 10-22-2006 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Picking a team seems really tough but I definitely like the over on 45. Both teams are high-scoring and the Giants run D gave up a lot of yardage to Warrick Dunn last week, and Julius Jones has run for over 100 yards in each of his last three games (I think).

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of Dunn's yardage came on one run (90-yd TD run). Atlanta actually had trouble running the ball last week.

Last year, these teams played two tight, low-scoring games.

The Giants' D has played much better its last 2 games, after the D coordinator made "adjustments". They are sacking the QB again, which does not bode well for a Bledsoe-led offense. 7 sacks of Vick last week.

This is a huge game for both teams. The idea that the game means more to Dallas is, in my opinion, inaccurate.

MacGuyV 10-22-2006 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a huge game for both teams. The idea that the game means more to Dallas is, in my opinion, inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO if the Giants win the game they win the division and if they don't it's a dogfight to the finish. I give Bledsoe a 0.00% chance to win a big late season division road game.

CharlieDontSurf 10-22-2006 10:57 PM

i dont see any value in betting either team unless u just want another reason to root for yr pick

fingokra 10-22-2006 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the Giants "shakey" at QB? Manning has thrown for an average of 265.8 yrds/g and has completed 65.3% and has a QB rating of 92.3. The Giants haven't had publicized problems in that area not because his last name is Manning but because Eli has been good. What is "shakey" is your reasoning.

Artdogg 10-22-2006 11:51 PM

The game is more important to Dallas cause they are at home, if it were in NY it would be more important to the Giants. Right now these teams are very very close (on a neutral field), Dallas has the edge defensively and the Giants have it on offense. I like the under a good amount, both teams are going to look to run the ball a ton and its very difficult to put up a lot of points against the Cowboys in Dallas.

MacGuyV 10-23-2006 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the Giants "shakey" at QB? Manning has thrown for an average of 265.8 yrds/g and has completed 65.3% and has a QB rating of 92.3. The Giants haven't had publicized problems in that area not because his last name is Manning but because Eli has been good. What is "shakey" is your reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK we'll see...if you just go by stats then Bledsoe is first ballot HOF.

fingokra 10-23-2006 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK we'll see...if you just go by stats then Bledsoe is first ballot HOF.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing to "we'll see." You might as well say "I think I'll ignore the facts and wait to see if he has a bad game." You said the Giants are "shakey" at QB. If that is the case then so are about 20 other NFL teams this year. Here is a comparsion for you. Everyone is going crazy over Grossman this year

R.Grossman1387 yrds 107/189 cmp/att that is 56.6% 10/7 TD/Int 82.0 Rating
E. Manning1329 yrds 115/176 cmp/att that is 65.3% 11/7 TD/Int 92.3 Rating

and Eli has played one less game

How about Tom Brady is he shaky and Matt Hassleback is he "shakey"?

T. Brady 1031 yrds 88/163 cmp/att that is 53.9% 8/3 td/int 82.6 Rating
M. Hassleback 1122 yrds 96/159 cmp/att that is 60.4% 9/7 td/int 82.3 Rating

ddss6_99 10-23-2006 12:41 AM

What do you think about teasing NYG +9.5 and Over 39?

rjp 10-23-2006 12:46 AM

The true odds for that teaser is ~+120.

MacGuyV 10-23-2006 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing to "we'll see." You might as well say "I think I'll ignore the facts and wait to see if he has a bad game." You said the Giants are "shakey" at QB. If that is the case then so are about 20 other NFL teams this year. Here is a comparsion for you. Everyone is going crazy over Grossman this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for criticizing your son Archie. Look, I get that this is a poker board and the more stats you google to help your argument, the smarter you are. I also know if you go by QB rating and TD/Int ratio and completion %, Rob Johnson was the greatest QB in Bills history. I know more than a couple Giant fans who just don't share your opinion. He is still young, and seems to be pretty good in clutch situations (Philly this year, Denver last year, etc). If you were to assign a letter grade to each individual game this year though, which ones would you give him better than a B-? Wasn't the running game and defense primarily responsible for coming back on Atlanta last week despite two short throws to Shockey? Has the offense played a good 1st half yet this season? Could he have sucked any more in the playoffs last year? I'd like to have him on my team, but I still think there are legitimate questions about him. And as far as 20 other teams having shakey QB situations, well, that's probably not far from the truth. My only point was I don't think the Giants have a significant edge in that department in this particular game Monday night; and I just felt like pointing that out because I expected that most people probably don't agree; that's fine.

ojsdaman 10-23-2006 01:19 AM

i put in a pick for the giants at +3.5. i wouldnt touch it at 3 for anything...pretty good chance this will be a 3 point game

legend42 10-23-2006 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I give Bledsoe a 0.00% chance to win a big late season division road game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to use hyperbole here (I could understand it somewhat more in the SE forum), even for humor's sake. You can say 5% or 10% or whatever, make the same point, and come across as a lot more credible.

Bledsoe has come through in big games many times (including AT Carolina late last season when both teams' playoff chances were on the line); to say he can't *possibly* win in the Meadowlands later this year is just stupid. (Sorry if I'm being nitty, but statements like that just irk me.)

fingokra 10-23-2006 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for criticizing your son Archie. Look, I get that this is a poker board and the more stats you google to help your argument, the smarter you are. I also know if you go by QB rating and TD/Int ratio and completion %, Rob Johnson was the greatest QB in Bills history. I know more than a couple Giant fans who just don't share your opinion. He is still young, and seems to be pretty good in clutch situations (Philly this year, Denver last year, etc). If you were to assign a letter grade to each individual game this year though, which ones would you give him better than a B-? Wasn't the running game and defense primarily responsible for coming back on Atlanta last week despite two short throws to Shockey? Has the offense played a good 1st half yet this season? Could he have sucked any more in the playoffs last year? I'd like to have him on my team, but I still think there are legitimate questions about him. And as far as 20 other teams having shakey QB situations, well, that's probably not far from the truth. My only point was I don't think the Giants have a significant edge in that department in this particular game Monday night; and I just felt like pointing that out because I expected that most people probably don't agree; that's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just giving you some stats so you could see with FACTS the absurdity of your statement. If you think all but a handful of QBs in the NFL are shakey, than I guess Eli may fall in that caterory. I am not sure he deserves worse than a B- in any game this year. Also Phila and Washington, the two divisional games, he easiy gets an A in each.

booger 10-23-2006 01:50 AM

"The game is more important to Dallas cause they are at home, if it were in NY it would be more important to the Giants" wtf?? can you clarify ?? have you been drinking??

Artdogg 10-23-2006 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"The game is more important to Dallas cause they are at home, if it were in NY it would be more important to the Giants" wtf?? can you clarify ?? have you been drinking??

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, do you know how the NFL works? Its MUCH easier to win division games at home, if the Giants lose this one they still have a good chance to cancel it out later in the year in a much better situation. If the Cowboys lose, they will have a hell of a time trying to get a win later in NY to earn their split. For example, the Cowboys blew their home game against the Redskins last year, and it was the reason they missed the playoffs. You gotta win your home division games cause those are the easy ones.

rush66 10-23-2006 01:58 AM

Any over/under thoughts for this game?

lastsamurai 10-23-2006 02:16 AM

The thing about dallas is you dont know which team is going to show up....i think i;ll pass and enjoy the game. (but if i do decided to bet on this game at the last min because i get bored just watching the game i;ll go with dallas)

Toddy 10-23-2006 10:30 AM

I think this is the hardest game ever. I would never touch this

niss 10-23-2006 10:30 AM

Or maybe it's actually "more important" for the Giants because a win here puts them ahead -- perhaps way ahead -- in the division race, while a loss means they are one of three in the mix?

Or maybe this is a "more important" game for the Giants because they got off to such a horrible start -- particularly defensively -- that if they can beat this division foe (the best other team in the division) on the road with a solid effort they can rest easier knowing that their slow start was an aberration and is behind them? Whereas if they lose -- particularly if they get wallopped -- their defense will return to turmoil?

There are all sorts of things we can say about this game being "more important" for one team or the other. No disrespect intended, but saying that this game is "more important" for Dallas is silly. This is a huge game for both teams.

And even assuming that the game is "more important" for one or the other, any delta in "importance" is so insignificant that it is outweighed by things that really matter, like which team is better, offense vs. defense matchups, home field advantage, etc.

tdarko 10-23-2006 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uh, do you know how the NFL works? Its MUCH easier to win division games at home, if the Giants lose this one they still have a good chance to cancel it out later in the year in a much better situation. If the Cowboys lose, they will have a hell of a time trying to get a win later in NY to earn their split. For example, the Cowboys blew their home game against the Redskins last year, and it was the reason they missed the playoffs. You gotta win your home division games cause those are the easy ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, divisional games are much better to play at home but this doesn't mean that it MEANS MORE TO THE HOME TEAM. That line of thinking is absurd, this game means the same to both teams, NY is thinking that this game is huge b/c they can pick up a big divisional road win and then have them later at home in their cold comforts of their home. This game means the same to both teams, the edge is slighted to the home team not b/c of emotion but b/c of where you are located.

And for anyone who has ever been to Texas Stadium it isn't much of a "home field advantage," it isn't exactly like playing in Philly where the fans are going nuts and screaming and cursing and telling Santa to go [censored] himself. Dallas is more about showing up and being seen, people go to these games to bring women, to watch the cheerleaders and to socialize--and if a good game breaks out that is a bonus. So I never factor in home field advantage too much when handicapping the Cowboys.

centris 10-23-2006 10:49 AM

Here is an article on the over/under:

http://www.covers.com/articles/artic...tid=27&t=1

NajdorfDefense 10-23-2006 11:24 AM

I think Dallas is the easy pick at home. They have a better D, 'need' the win at home more, and their victory over Houston just looked a lot better after yesterday. On DAL -3.

Naj

Jibba 10-23-2006 12:08 PM

I don't really like the game, but put a leftover half unit in my SIA account on a parlay with NYG +3.5 and under 45.

vexel77 10-23-2006 12:19 PM

Ive got dallas, theyre going to win this game by more than 3.

silentbob 10-23-2006 12:25 PM

The only thing that's certain is that the announcers will spend over half the game talking about TO.

Otherwise, I wouldn't touch this game with a ten-foot pole.

jets8781 10-23-2006 02:58 PM

Anybody got Brandons Lang pick for this game, i personally like the Giants and the under

Artdogg 10-23-2006 03:30 PM

We could argue this all night, I never said the game isnt important to the giants, just if they lose they are in better shape then if the cowboys lose because they still get to play them at home. Doesnt that make the game SLIGHTLY more important to the cowboys? Sometimes you guys argue just to argue. Sure if the Giants win it puts them in fantastic shape at 3-0 in the division to take it over, that doesnt make it a must-win for them, its very close to a must-win for the cowboys.

CCx 10-23-2006 04:14 PM

Total sacks OVER 5 +108

Punker 10-23-2006 04:29 PM

I don't get all the Dallas love this game.

NYG: 3-2
Opponent's record: 20-12
4 teams with winning records

Dallas: 3-2
Opponent's record: 12-20
1 team with winning record

NYG have already won on the road twice this year, vs Atlanta and Philadelphia (two very tough home teams) so I don't think playing in Dallas is going to intimidate them.

Common opponents:
Washington:
NYG Win 19-3 at home
Dallas Win 27-10 at home

Philadelphia:
NYG: Win 30-24 on the road
Dallas : Lose 38-24 on the road

I think NYG win this game handily.

Caldarooni 10-23-2006 04:31 PM

Punker,

I dont see how the stats you posted reach the conclusion that the Giants win handily.

Artdogg 10-23-2006 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Philadelphia:
NYG: Win 30-24 on the road
Dallas : Lose 38-24 on the road

[/ QUOTE ]

if you watched those games youd know the final score didnt reflect at all how the games went

kyro 10-23-2006 04:48 PM

I picked the Giants in the 3+1 pool where I am currently 5-1-1, so fading me is retarded.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Dementia 10-23-2006 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont see how the stats you posted reach the conclusion that the Giants win handily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You should never make a decision based solely on random stats. There's more to interpret when handicapping, and I believe Dallas has played better football this year.

The Giants were hyped to be a Superbowl team by many, and they haven't shown that by far, regardless what a couple of numbers say, I'm talking about how they've looked on the field as a team.

I'm sticking with Dallas -3, I do believe it's very much more likely than NYG "winning this with ease" as so many have suggested. Guess we'll see.