Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   leaks in your current game?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=242436)

smbruin22 10-22-2006 04:02 PM

leaks in your current game??

what do you consider leaks in your current game?

i have one specific one.... i seem to have problems when there's a paired board. seem to discount too much the likelihood of opponent having trips.... and i don't realize the danger of my weak two pair (big blind special) being counterfeited. sometimes can't figure out why opponent has perked up, and it's because he now has two pairs that beat mine.... only other major leaks i can think of is 1) not seeing straight potential on boardl 2) overly excited by low end of straight.

i'm not sure if these are leaks but in tournaments i think i have to think about restealing and calling the occasional raised pot in position (don't overdo either of these though). just think we've all been trained too much that raise means ultra-premium hand.

any responses greatly appreciated!! and the resteal/call raises is meant to be occasionally only.

Mr. Ratface 10-22-2006 04:42 PM

Re: leaks in your current game??

I noticed many times I make decisions too fast and it ultimately leads to the wrong decision. When I look back on my play for the session and analyze that particular situation again I realise how I could have made the right decision by just thinking about it for a little longer.

Notjitsu 10-23-2006 10:14 AM

One of the leaks I have is when the extra poor players come to the table (NL), I try and push the margins so close that I often veer into poor play. I definitely need to focus on reining it in just a little bit. On the flip side, its a race to get their money, so I want to stay as aggressive in the pursuit as possible without going bad.

The other is calling big bets with overpairs when I've come to the conclusion they aren't good. I don't do it as often as in the past, but it only takes 2 or 3 times a week to put a serious dent in the weekly results.

Off Duty 10-23-2006 01:51 PM

My leak is that I tend to play pretty fast with big hands and build a pot that I'm priced into just about the time when I figure out I'm probablly no good. I'm priced in anyway so I see it to showdown like a donkey.

brick 10-23-2006 02:50 PM

not focusing.

chicheebee 10-23-2006 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not focusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

redCashion 10-23-2006 03:04 PM

Chip away, chip away, chip away, chip away.. making a nice but unspectacular profit. Finally get into a big pot, but soon realize that I'm on the losing end of it, and can't let it go.

CityFan 10-23-2006 04:40 PM

I get drunk, I stay up late, I eat badly, I don't exercise.

If I fixed all those problems I'd be killing this limit.

UpstateNYAAonly 10-23-2006 11:56 PM

not focusing, missing value river bets

FortunaMaximus 10-23-2006 11:58 PM

Disclipine and realizin' I gotta start somewhere. Getting there with that though.

davim1 10-24-2006 01:26 AM

playing outside my bankroll when I'm running good and then going on tilt while I'm still outside my bankroll.

CityFan 10-24-2006 09:37 AM

Going on tilt every time I don't cash/miss out on the final table.

I can't win them all!

Hellheart 10-24-2006 12:37 PM

I have a tendency to slowplay AA and KK, and if another PP hits trips I get slaughtered every time. I'm usually good at putting people on 2P, but not trips.

I sometimes give other players too much credit and don't get as much into the pot on the river as I should.

CityFan 10-24-2006 12:58 PM

I slow-played aces once. ONCE.

The conditions were perfect and it worked beautifully, but I haven't bothered since. In the low buy-in MTTs I'm just not playing the same people often enough for it to be worthwhile.

The only reason to do it is for value on future hands.

tautomer 10-24-2006 07:47 PM

For some reason if I'm running hot on a table or two I start to completely donk off my money on the tables where I'm card dead.

Wabbits 10-24-2006 08:31 PM

I have a hard time stopping when I'm up. I always feel that I can win more.

smbruin22 10-24-2006 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a tendency to slowplay AA and KK, and if another PP hits trips I get slaughtered every time. I'm usually good at putting people on 2P, but not trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like slowplaying the AA in tournaments... basically need to get paid, and i'll take the risk of busting out. obviously hoping someone else raises. (careful with lots of limpers, but 2 opponents, i'll play them hard on flop with shorter stack) ... and even slowplay them in cash game, but with view in my head that i will realize they may be beaten (of course, sometimes i can't help myself)

HollywoodDB 10-25-2006 12:03 AM

My river play is the worse of anyone you will ever meet.

stackenvy 10-26-2006 01:53 AM

during Live play the biggest thing I still do is bet when someone reaches for their checks,then checks the flop...I still wanna lead into them almost everytime errr

riverruss 10-26-2006 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And going to the Eastlands stadium every other weekend?

CityFan 10-26-2006 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And going to the Eastlands stadium every other weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I've fixed that one. Definitely -EV. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

mosch 10-26-2006 02:29 PM

I do too many other things while I am playing poker.

My win rate would probably double if I stopped adding TV, web browser, instant messaging, e-mail, phone and real life conversation to my online poker tables.

Of course if I cut all that out, I wouldn't want to play online poker nearly as much.

Kimbell175113 10-26-2006 08:39 PM

Inability to fold river, ever.

Montezuma21 10-27-2006 01:26 AM

i play too much when i'm down. i also play too much when i'm up. I lose concentration after about an hour of multitabling. My play from the blinds with marginal to decent hands against the PFR is terrible. If i'm card dead for more than 15.65 milliseconds, or if i'm down more than a single buyin because of a hand i played incorrectly, i'll start tilting.

Reef 10-27-2006 05:15 AM

tilt is one of them

Trae3ab 10-27-2006 06:43 AM

Well I am certain this is a leak that will cost you a bit of money.

I do think you are on your way to fixing it by acknowledging this.

Honesty in the quality of a player's own game and figuring out how to correct his/her leaks is probably one of the greatest talents you can have in poker. IMO.

Make you a little list of said leaks and memorize it for the next time you play.

Spitting in a wishing well,
Trae

Pscam10 10-27-2006 12:51 PM

When playing live, i tend to focus on the idiot at the table way too much; especially if they just beat me in a hand. Unfortunately, said idiot is not necessarily the biggest fish at the table.

I'

trickymartin 10-27-2006 04:17 PM

My biggest leak is not being able to enjoy playing and improving. When I find a way to plug this leak, I think I'll double or triple my income.

Murdz 11-01-2006 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When playing live, i tend to focus on the idiot at the table way too much; especially if they just beat me in a hand. Unfortunately, said idiot is not necessarily the biggest fish at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, this my biggest problem. If I am at a table of competent players whom I know, I bring my A game. When it is Friday night and everyone at the table is hammered and a tourist, I become an ATM machine.

And in those situations, it is always one player who beats me out of a hand that I then have to gun for. This is always compounded by the fact, that I fall into the fancy play syndrome against the guy and it never works.

Farfenugen 11-01-2006 02:09 PM

In 6 max, I cannot fold AK, AQ, ever/

I play on Stars now and this leak is a carryover from Pacific where betting the river with ace high was a value bet. Not so much on Stars. God I miss Pacific Poker. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

AlienBoy 11-01-2006 10:26 PM

My biggest leak is TILT.

Second biggest is not recognizing when someone has a set.

Sets KILL ME.

AB

Shandrax 11-02-2006 11:39 AM

My biggest leak is that I don't know where my biggest leak is. I am doing everything pretty much like I am supposed to do, but the expectation refuses to realize itsself. I am constantly losing with the better hand and it's not even selective awareness, I can prove it with data and the sample is getting bigger and bigger every day.

My $WSD dropped from 57% to 48% within a few days because of sessions where I couldn't win a single pot, regardless if I flopped a set, a straight or the nut flush. My score with aces is 53% for overall negative EV and I cannot always throw them away only because a king or a jack shows up on the river.

Variance is my enemy and I have no idea how to deal with it, because protecting my hands doesn't work if I am the one who gets constantly re-raised from pre-flop to the river.

So far my NL tries where I thought I could protect my hands have been successful in theory, but unsuccessful in practive. Got stacked with trips, top-pair + nut flush and finally today with QQ vs. JJ on a x-J-x flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Off Duty 11-02-2006 01:21 PM

I have fixed several leaks in my game. I tilt less now, I have better game selection, and I'm getting better about not playing when I'm tired which for me is the death card.

I continue to fight letting variance get to my head. If you want to call it tilt, I guess it's okay but I'd describe it similar to depression.

ItzMrFish2U 11-02-2006 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do too many other things while I am playing poker.

My win rate would probably double if I stopped adding TV, web browser, instant messaging, e-mail, phone and real life conversation to my online poker tables.

Of course if I cut all that out, I wouldn't want to play online poker nearly as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double ditto!

jtr 11-02-2006 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My river play is the worse of anyone you will ever meet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push the turn.

onetimeuse 11-02-2006 04:32 PM

I don't have PT and PAHUD. And I play when I'm real tired. I look people up a lot.

e_phemeral 11-02-2006 06:00 PM

Playing for too long a period of time. Playing tired. Tilting after losing to beats or (especially) to cooler hands. For some reason, coolers p*ss me off way more than beats. Beats anger me for a short period of time, but I can quickly get past it and be happy that I got my money in good. Coolers just drive me insane and often tend to affect my play in a negative way for a while after the hand.

AlienBoy 11-02-2006 09:44 PM

Tilting (with inverse tilt or beat tilt or tired tilt or tilt-o-rama tilt) is without question my biggest leak.

A related leak is the "I can beat him" syndrome - I see a sharp player, and I try to out play him. And lose.

A final leak is semibluffing into strength I don't realize till it's too late...

AB

bigwavedave 11-02-2006 11:50 PM

Fancy Play Syndrome

poker wiki

oneouterson 11-03-2006 12:51 AM

my leak is i dont give my self a chance to build a roll. Never had to much of a problem beating any game i've ever played but when you when with your whole roll or don't give yourself enough buy'ins you are doomed no matter how good you are. i'm going to fix once i build a new roll from work and god help me if i buy it all in to a single table ever. lol