Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=240120)

Toddy 10-19-2006 10:02 AM

Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

I just got a 2nd job as a Math Tutor. I go to peoples houses (mostly rich people!) and teach their kids Algebra, Calc, Trig etc. I love doing this. I wish I did this straight out college. Its good $$ for something I love to do.

mrkilla 10-19-2006 10:10 AM

Re: Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

With every job there are times that I dislike it (paper work and all the other garbage that goes along with it) but as a general I love what I do.

I am an IT Manager/Systems Engineer/Sytems Admin whatever title you want to call it today..

man 10-19-2006 10:19 AM

how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.

51cards 10-19-2006 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 2nd job as a Math Tutor. I go to peoples houses (mostly rich people!) and teach their kids Algebra, Calc, Trig etc. I love doing this. I wish I did this straight out college. Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a math degree and want to do this. Can you tell me how? Here or elsewhere.

Jeffawesome 10-19-2006 10:21 AM

i manage a dry cleaner (as everyone knows now) it rules hard.

mosdef 10-19-2006 10:21 AM

Like most people with a good job, I love my job 20% of the time, like it 70% of the time, and dislike it 10% of the time. Because really, no matter how good your job is there are times when you would rather be doing something else.

Generally speaking, though, my job is fantastic. It's challenging, the compensation is good-very good, the hours are flexible, my supervisors let me do my own thing but help when asked, and the company goes out of it's way to repeatedly ask me if I'm happy and show that they're doing something to change that I don't like.

I think that the only two parts of my job that I don't like are:

1. It's consulting, and occasionally I get clients asking me to do multiple things in the same day/week and I end up working late which I don't like.

2. My company is big, so there is a certain level of mega-company PR-type BS that I typically ignore, but am still subjected to.

So overall, I would say yes, I love my job. But sometimes I would rather be watching cartoons.

Foucault 10-19-2006 10:22 AM

I do contract work with the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues, it's a nonprofit that supports debate programs in city high schools. There are some of the usual hassles of most jobs (sometimes annoying work or bosses or whatever), but mostly I do research and writing for them, which I enjoy, I get to travel to work with debate leagues and students in different cities, I work largely from home on my own schedule, and I get a lot of good opportunities (I'm going to be publishing a book with them soon).

In my opinion, one of the best things about being able to make money on the side playing poker is that you don't have to let money govern what else you do with your life. They pay me decent, but I certainly couldn't afford to do this for my bread and butter. I'd have to get a real, much crappier and less rewarding job.

crookdimwit 10-19-2006 10:27 AM

I do Flash and Web design like it a lot (love is a strong word)... It's creative, challenging, and can be a lot of fun. I also left the private sector a few years ago to do this kind of work for nonprofits that are in line with my political beliefs, which gives it all a lot of intangible extra benefits.

I took a steep pay cut at first when I jumped from private sector to the nonprofit world, but my quality of like and overall career satisfaction is much, much higher...

It's still a job, and some days can still be a grind, but all-in-all, it's a pretty great way to make a living...

fire_fly 10-19-2006 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly think this is the key to a happy life.

and what sucks is that i have no idea what it might be for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyone know of a job that is stimulating and you get to travel to interested places frequently, with decent pay? This is what I'd love to do.

Foucault 10-19-2006 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly think this is the key to a happy life.

and what sucks is that i have no idea what it might be for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyone know of a job that is stimulating and you get to travel to interested places frequently, with decent pay? This is what I'd love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The military? Courier? Diplomat? Stewardess?

Toddy 10-19-2006 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on craiglist. I get $28 ph under the table and for trig and calc its $35. Ya i mean its fun and its rewarding when they understand it they way I teach it

Toddy 10-19-2006 10:47 AM

The girl I tutored yesterday lived on a 500 acre ranch. Must have crazy money. When I say I love it.I mean I really love it.

Tutoring was from 5-630 and the mother came in and said, "Do you guys know its 7:15"? Then I sat and chatted w/ the family for about 45 mins. Seems kinda of boring for most people but I truly love it.

Sooga 10-19-2006 10:49 AM

Yea I teach math at a public high school in the L.A. suburbs... I can't say that I'm 'slap me I'm dreaming' sort of happy, but compared to what I was doing before (software programming), I definitely love this job.

punkass 10-19-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The girl I tutored yesterday lived on a 500 acre ranch. Must have crazy money. When I say I love it.I mean I really love it.

Tutoring was from 5-630 and the mother came in and said, "Do you guys know its 7:15"? Then I sat and chatted w/ the family for about 45 mins. Seems kinda of boring for most people but I truly love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

girl must be hot

Toddy 10-19-2006 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

girl must be hot

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. NO!

10-19-2006 11:05 AM

I write software and about 15% of the time I really love it. I solve hard problems, get my mind wrapped around the puzzle, crank out a bunch of code and unit tests.

70% of the time it's boring. It's bugs, escalated support issues I have to explain, meetings, etc.

The last 15% of the time I hate it. Idiotic management decisions that end up forcing me do really really stupid things that will just mean more work I can't stand in 3-6 weeks.

renodoc 10-19-2006 11:10 AM

My job rocks. Except when I get burnt out on it, but that isn't often.

southerndog 10-19-2006 11:14 AM

Tutoring will get old. The wrong students can really drain you.

For those of you that are wondering how to do it, go by college or hs math departments and let them know you do tutoring. You will start to get calls. If you are good, other people will refer you.

I'm just curious, how much do some of you get in different parts of the country. I've heard of people in the NY area making $70ish an hour.

kabouter 10-19-2006 11:16 AM

I quit my job. I could do without it, but I just want to find something I love. I'm almost in my master of Law now, but I'm not sure if working as a lawyer is what I want to do in 1-2years.

Maybe I should sign up for the army!

WhoIam 10-19-2006 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I write software and about 15% of the time I really love it. I solve hard problems, get my mind wrapped around the puzzle, crank out a bunch of code and unit tests.

70% of the time it's boring. It's bugs, escalated support issues I have to explain, meetings, etc.

The last 15% of the time I hate it. Idiotic management decisions that end up forcing me do really really stupid things that will just mean more work I can't stand in 3-6 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly how I feel about poker.

On topic: I would guess that the people who are happiest with their profession are those who are successful in the arts, (eg painters, musicians, filmmakers, photographers, etc.)

astroglide 10-19-2006 11:23 AM

i really like my job

i basically hate online poker, but i might start playing live again now that it's screwed up legally

*** 10-19-2006 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what is causing my quarter life crisis. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Wes Mantooth 10-19-2006 11:40 AM

I work in Washington DC for a big company that handles government contracts.... I hate it.

I use to work on another contract under the Department of Homeland Security. I traveled all over the place, made good money, meet a ton of people, helped with hiring people, lived the life. The constant traveling did get tiresome but the overall experience was great.

SamIAm 10-19-2006 12:15 PM

I'm a grad student. It's a lot like not having a job, except you get paid. (A little bit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
-Sam

10-19-2006 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what is causing my quarter life crisis. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Near as I can tell, if you stay in the industry, you have 3 choices.

1) Get used to it, all companies have the same BS.
2) Become management and learn to love meetings and creating the BS for higher pay, longer hours, and more butt kissing
3) Become a contractor. You don't care about BS, you won't be there long, but never knowing where your next contract is coming from can be difficult.

Or, I suppose, if you've got the abiliity, then
4) Start your own company

Isura 10-19-2006 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a grad student. It's a lot like having a job, except you get paid crap

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

DING-DONG YO 10-19-2006 12:36 PM

I work in an Internal Audit group in a large company. It blows hard but I can't leave cause of the money.

Having a job you love is a very foreign concept for me. I wish I could find a way out.

onthebutton 10-19-2006 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true, depends on the field. I make $27k/yr (YES I AM A BALLER!) with no tuition/fees. I feel it's a pretty damn good salary to be paid to go to school.

IronDragon1 10-19-2006 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really like my job

i basically hate online poker, but i might start playing live again now that it's screwed up legally

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the feeling that this is more exception to the rule with regards to poker pros.

Also a grad student-though unfortunately not for much longer-and can echo that it's like a job with little pay. That being said, the flexibility can't be beat.

Rduke55 10-19-2006 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true, depends on the field. I make $27k/yr (YES I AM A BALLER!) with no tuition/fees. I feel it's a pretty damn good salary to be paid to go to school.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do spoil you guys down here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I did love grad school. The tuition waiver makes up for the crap pay.

I love my job. I'm a postdoctoral fellow in neuroscience (our version of M.D. internships).
Pay isn't great compared to a lot of other professions but it's really rewarding.

wiggs73 10-19-2006 12:45 PM

I don't necessarily love my work, but I do love the environment here... I have my own office, this morning I was kicked back with a cup of coffee, feet up in another chair, listening to music while working. Also they're linient with internet usage obv. The company provides Friday lunches from various takeout places for free and usually I play a game of foosball or 2 after lunch Fridays.

It's nothing huge but a bunch of small things like that really add up and make the day more enjoyable for sure.

Aloysius 10-19-2006 12:47 PM

Jealous of the guys who really love their job: unless I start my own company, I don't think it's possible for me. That being said, I like my job as much as I can like a corportate type job. I work in biz and strat planning for network TV: the business is changing alot which makes it interesting from a planning perspective, and compared to my other jobs, the culture is pretty cool.

-Al

10-19-2006 01:00 PM

I suppose, to be honest, with my personality I don't know that there's any job I'd love for very long. I don't think I'm a naturally happy person. I burn out and get bored with things fairly quickly.

Hobbs. 10-19-2006 01:06 PM

I'm a grad student studying something I find incredibly interesting. I make $24k a year doing it too!

Hobbs. 10-19-2006 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
damn. fellowship?

my roomie has a DOD and gets ~30ishk a year after the bonus from his department.

onthebutton 10-19-2006 01:14 PM

Hobbs,

I've got a nice little fellowship on top of the base salary, which is funded via the NIH.

El Diablo 10-19-2006 01:18 PM

Al,

"unless I start my own company"
"biz and strat planning for network TV"

Let's do it. I love my job (my last three have been my own company), but the only way I could love it more is to be in an industry segment that I really love - generally something entertainment oriented - books, movies, TV, celebs, fashion, sports, whatever. So, the next company I start will be somehow related to some field which I spend my personal free time doing. Hopefully I can pull a YouTube soon so I can jump straight to my goal of owning a pro sports franchise. I think that would be a really fun job for me.

skunkworks 10-19-2006 01:22 PM

El D,

What sport though? Are we talking MLS or NBA?

nolanfan34 10-19-2006 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jealous of the guys who really love their job: unless I start my own company, I don't think it's possible for me. That being said, I like my job as much as I can like a corportate type job. I work in biz and strat planning for network TV: the business is changing alot which makes it interesting from a planning perspective, and compared to my other jobs, the culture is pretty cool.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

First part of this post really sums it up exactly for me.

I was talking about this with Scrub the other day, and we both agreed that we want our own companies, only we have no ideas and no money.

Regarding the TV realm, thinking back, that was really the only time I've worked where it didn't feel like work. First, when I worked on my cable TV shows in college. Second, when I interned at The Golf Channel. I worked on Golf Central, and there wasn't a single day I didn't want to go in and work on that show.

Third, looking back, was probably when I was the co-anchor and weather anchor for the morning show at my first TV station. Getting up early in the morning was tough, but I had a lot of fun on those shows, and working with that crew. When I think back on my time in TV the only thing I miss was doing the weather. I still think about getting back into it.

As for today though, this past weekend my wife and I went back to WSU (Pullman, WA baby) for Homecoming, because there was a 20th anniversary of the student TV station there. We got to hang with a bunch of our friends who are down in LA now, and they pretty much all are doing cool things and seem to love what they're doing. I was very jealous. A bunch of them are working on a project that I should make a separate post about.

ChicagoTroy 10-19-2006 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on craiglist. I get $28 ph under the table and for trig and calc its $35. Ya i mean its fun and its rewarding when they understand it they way I teach it

[/ QUOTE ]
I tutored math for a couple years. You are charging way, way below market value, particularly for the income of the families you're talking about.