Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Just got braces (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=237909)

pirateboy 10-16-2006 05:50 PM

Just got braces

So, I'm 24 years old and work at a TV station in advertising sales. On Friday, I got braces. I put this off for years and years but finally something needed to be done. I was worried about my self esteem, how people would perceive me, and the overall uncomfortable feeling associated with them (both physical and emotional).

My need from OOT is some advice on A) how to live with braces as an outgoing 24 year old, B) tips in general about taking care of my braces, and C) anything else

TL;DR notes - Got braces, need advice and tips in all areas

drexah 10-16-2006 05:52 PM

Re: Just got braces

Honestly, if I was 24 and had to get them, I would probably tell people that I got in an accident of some sort or some funny event where I needed to get them. Instead of just telling people I put it off for 11 years because of the emotional side effects. I never needed them so I can't comment on taking care of them.

nsdjoe 10-16-2006 05:53 PM

I've seen people with the invisalign braces... Those seem to be the way to go.

NT! 10-16-2006 05:54 PM

this is why I own like fitty leven billion shares of kleenex mang

Joe Camel 10-16-2006 05:57 PM

I had braces when I was a kid so I can't exactly relate to your situation. It's kind of a bummer, but I'm sure having crooked teeth is a much bigger bummer. I don't think there's much to say, except hang in there. How long do you expect to have them on? Also, you should post a picture (not necessarily of yourself) of what these look like, I understand the technology is always improving, and I'm curious to see how the latest ones look.

gorie 10-16-2006 06:01 PM

i have braces, i got them when i was 24, too. it's really not a big deal, though it will be nice when they finally come off (in a few months).

the first few months are the worst btw. but you will get use to them pretty quick.

pirateboy 10-16-2006 06:03 PM

I don't have the invisalign because my orthodontist advised I go the LARGEMETALalign instead. The invisalign is more expensive and takes longer than the regular ol' braces. Plus, I think my teeth needed the regs.

Anyway, I have the porcelain colored brackets on the teeth in the front so it won't be as glaringly noticeable.

In the end (2 years from now), I know it will be worth it, but I assume people above the age of 17 don't insult people with braces.

miajag 10-16-2006 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my orthodontist advised I go the LARGEMETALalign instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nice

samsdmf 10-16-2006 06:20 PM

There is no pain like it when you get them tightened, one of the greatest days of my life getting them taken out...
Rinse and repeat, you pretty much have what nearly everyone says about braces

Dementia 10-16-2006 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I assume people above the age of 17 don't insult people with braces.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they'll just tell jokes about you when you aren't there. Standard though.

pokerraja 10-16-2006 06:41 PM

I always had bad teeth growing up. I was embarrassed to smile because my top front teeth were so crooked. My bottome teeth were perfect. Luckily when I started working about 8 years ago I got hooked up with this great cometic dentist. She said braces were an option however she suggested me to get porcellain veneers in my top front 4 teeth. She explained the procedure. basiscally they shave the tooth down and then insert a percellain veneer and they have it shaped perfectly to fit your mouth and structure. It takes about 2 weeks. Anwyays, its is great, I went from a horrible smile to a hollywood smile basically overnight. BTW this is what all the rich people do because its a fast fix. The cost was about 5 grand. No probs yet and I can eat anything and everything.

Also, I have notived alot of adults who have braces. I never look at them funny. I think its fine. Just think if Terrell Ownes (famous football player) could get away with braces then so can you. He had them about 2 years ago.

Drew16 10-16-2006 06:53 PM

they aren't that bad. They maily hurt the day and day after you get them tightened. Just be sure to BRUSH YOUR DAMN TEETH. I know some kids who got them, and didnt brush much. When the braces came off they had little white squares on their teeth from the tooth around the brace getting dirty over the years. good luck.

Force1 10-16-2006 06:53 PM

When I was little I used to laugh at adults with braces as I got older I have started to laugh at people with f'ed up teeth.

Braces at an older age > then f'ed up teeth.

SamIAm 10-16-2006 07:06 PM

It's unfortunate that everybody looks way younger with braces. Do you have facial hair? That's gotta help some.
-Sam

The DaveR 10-16-2006 07:11 PM

Wear your retainer afterward. They will start to move back otherwise.

phuc 10-16-2006 07:40 PM

i was in a similar situation as you. it's not a big deal...adults get braces all the time. i got braces about 2 yrs ago and hopefully I'll be done soon. I was 26 yrs old when I had them put on. I also could not get the Invisalign (even though I didn't care about the cost, the orthodontist said i couldn't do it...metal was cheaper and more efficient anyway). So I've got clear brackets on front and I've really had no social issues...just questions from inquisitive people (never in a rude way). but definitely listen when they talk about taking care of your teeth...brush often and try to floss (even though flossing can be a major PITA with braces)...and get a dental cleaning three times a year. the pain is fairly annoying every time you get your braces tightened, but you get used to it and factor it into the first few days after an appointment. they're your teeth...you'll hopefully have them for a long time. it's worth a bit of effort (and pain) to have teeth that last a while. if you get braces and don't practice good hygiene, you've just wasted a couple of years since your teeth may end up ugly from stains or cavities anyway.

phuc 10-16-2006 07:42 PM

and to be honest, even though they aren't invisible, sometimes people don't notice the clear brackets until they look closely or have seen you a couple of times (i've had co-workers who didn't notice until a few weeks later even though i worked with them every day)

lapoker17 10-16-2006 07:43 PM

i'm 33 and have to get them later this year as a result of a broken jaw that, when healed, left my bite f'd up - i'm not too psyched about it either.

ata 10-16-2006 08:00 PM

Please give us a trip report if you manage to get laid with braces.

And yeah, wear your retainer afterwards, at least at night.

mrcoughman 10-16-2006 08:24 PM

I had them for like 5 years, from 15 to 20 so I can relate to OP, I'm actually still twenty so getting them off was recent. It's a huge relief to get them off, but its more of a deal with confidence than anything else. MAintenence issues weren't a big deal, just brush like normal.

Most people don't care nearly as much as you do/might yourself.
For me anyway my teeth were serverly [censored] up before so I'm glad I had them and were worth it in the long run.( I had a huge gap and looked kinda yokel, and had a tooth impacted in my jaw). Even though five years is a [censored] long time.

VladKGB 10-16-2006 08:30 PM

does anyone else find that chicks with braces are cute?

Pudge714 10-16-2006 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

JSchnett 10-16-2006 08:44 PM

1. Wear your rubber bands (if you get them) at least every night, they tell you that it will speed up the process of getting your braces off and I never listened to them and I ended up having braces for 4 years instead of 2.

2. Wear your retainer

3. Brush your teeth really well, your orthodontist should show you how with your new braces

4.Get used to having [censored] stuck in your teeth constantly after eating, brush or use a toothpick

5. The first week is the worst, it feels like you are chewing on metal when you eat but it gets a lot easier, also getting them tightened Isnt bad at all they may be a little sore for a day or 2 max but not as bad as the first few days you get your braces.

AlienBoy 10-16-2006 08:45 PM

To OP: Good you're doing it now. I got braces in my 30s. Ouch! Still have a permanent retainer on the lowers.

If you get "regular" ones, these help:

http://www.dentakit.com/cocoforbr.html

AB

mrcoughman 10-16-2006 09:35 PM

Oh and as a general rule double the amount of time that they tell you it will take. After speaking with all my friends who have had them it appears to be the rule. Othodotists are [censored] liars.

SamIAm 10-16-2006 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Othodotists are [censored] rich liars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your post was broken.
-Sam

bigscore 10-16-2006 10:25 PM

lol braceaments

Iplayragstoo 10-16-2006 10:30 PM

Wow, I don't think I could handle not having sex for 1-2 years. More power to ya brother.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

uncleshady 10-16-2006 10:50 PM

What do braces run?

pirateboy 10-16-2006 10:59 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement and understanding. Luckily, I live with my g/f of 4 years and have gotten laid three times since Friday. She's glad I'm taking care of the problem.

Seriously ... double the time they say it will take? No [censored] way. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mark L 10-17-2006 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always had bad teeth growing up. I was embarrassed to smile because my top front teeth were so crooked. My bottome teeth were perfect. Luckily when I started working about 8 years ago I got hooked up with this great cometic dentist. She said braces were an option however she suggested me to get porcellain veneers in my top front 4 teeth. She explained the procedure. basiscally they shave the tooth down and then insert a percellain veneer and they have it shaped perfectly to fit your mouth and structure. It takes about 2 weeks. Anwyays, its is great, I went from a horrible smile to a hollywood smile basically overnight. BTW this is what all the rich people do because its a fast fix. The cost was about 5 grand. No probs yet and I can eat anything and everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does this compare with the cost of regular braces? are these common and, if not, why don't more people do it?

seventwo 10-17-2006 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do braces run?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine are going to cost $4400 (my insurance paid $2000 of it). I paid like $300 extra to get clear brackets. IMO definitely worth the $300 extra. Poeple don't even notice them until they get about 5 feet away.

In terms of pain, mine don't hurt much anymore even after they change out the bands and wires. The first 3 weeks were a bitch though.

You may get some sores inside your mouth when they change out the wire types until your mouth gets used to it.

seventwo 10-17-2006 06:16 AM

Any of you guys have trouble kissing after getting your braces on? I haven't made out with a chick since getting them on, and I'm anticipating some awkwardness.

SixT4 10-17-2006 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wear your retainer afterward. They will start to move back otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had braces on 4-5 years ago and they have now moved back which sucks rather badly. I'll probably get braces again in the next year or two.

If ever see the orthodontist who told me I didn't need to wear my retainer anymore I'm going to smack him on the jaw and knock his [censored] teeth out.

Suigin406 10-17-2006 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i might have seen one several years back, but that's about it...

Suigin406 10-17-2006 07:26 AM

yea, i remember when i got braces, though i was like 15ish...they are annoying and look bad, but it's definitely a very good idea to take care of this problem before your teeth fall apart later...good idea with the clear brackets, those are the way to go...and definitely remember your retainers...critical...

gilbert 10-17-2006 07:31 AM

I had braces when I was in the sixth grade to the eighth grade and I don't remember ever getting made fun of unless it was light hearted by my friends. I'm sure some people did it behind my back but I didn't know or care.

I had to get them again my senior year of high school because I never wore my retainer and my original orthodontist was kind of a hack since he only left my braces on for less than two years and my teeth were pretty effed up. It sucked having to go through half of my senior year with braces but I got them off before I had to take yearbook pictures or graduate so it wasn't too bad. I don't really smile big a lot so I wasn't too self concious about it.

moral of the story: wear your retainer.

YeaYeaFaSho 10-17-2006 01:58 PM

BBV is at the top of the forum list

samjjones 10-17-2006 02:04 PM

Hope you don't have a big overbite. Or else you'll have to wear the Anthony Michael Hall head-gear thing.

http://www.mdorthodontics.com/media/braces/headgear.jpg

samjjones 10-17-2006 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i might have seen one several years back, but that's about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ybetty_203.jpg