Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Neteller: "We Are Staying In The US" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=233586)

sbj99 10-11-2006 12:24 PM

Neteller: \"We Are Staying In The US\"

The company will continue to operate in the US

- quote from Burce Elliot, NETeller's executive vp, marketing and sales at an online gaming conference today.

The story came out on dow jones earlier today, I'm unable to find a link online. sorry if this was already posted I didn't see anything.

Kevmath 10-11-2006 12:33 PM

Re: Neteller: \"We Are Staying In The US\"

It's an article from wsj.com which is subscriber only but does have the headline mentioned above.

Suigin406 10-11-2006 12:34 PM

if this is indeed true, it's great news for the short-term future...at least now i know where to put all the funds i had in firepay...

HumanACtor 10-11-2006 12:36 PM

Confirmed. "Neteller vows to stay in US" is one of the headlines on wsjonline.com

dneedle1 10-11-2006 12:36 PM

It is true. I subscribe to the Wall St. Journal, and just saw the article. I am not copying it all, for fear of copyright violation. Here is the headline and first paragraph.

"Neteller Vows to Stay in the U.S.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
October 11, 2006 12:31 p.m.

A Neteller PLC executive said the British company, which handles payments for online gambling companies and others, will continue to operate in the U.S., despite the recent passage of antigambling legislation."

Ron Burgundy 10-11-2006 12:37 PM

Woot!

sbj99 10-11-2006 12:37 PM

I got it off the dow jones newswires, originally came out at 11:20Am EST. Headline is :

NETeller Exec: Company Will Still Operate In The US

This is from wsj.com

<<Neteller Vows to Stay in the U.S.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
October 11, 2006 12:31 p.m.

A Neteller PLC executive said the British company, which handles payments for online gambling companies and others, will continue to operate in the U.S., despite the recent passage of antigambling legislation.

"We are staying in the U.S.," said Bruce Elliott, Neteller's executive vice president, marketing and sales, told a online gambling conference in Barcelona. "I don't think we have a very big problem."...

>>

Guthrie 10-11-2006 12:38 PM

Give me Neteller and Stars baby and I'm good to go.

Coy_Roy 10-11-2006 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if this is indeed true, it's great news for the short-term future...at least now i know where to put all the funds i had in firepay...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

....and if the regulation enforcements by the banks that are supposed to ultimately go into effect preclude blocking Neteller, we've dodged a huge bullet and it really will be business as usual.

This may help me regain my game focus that has not quite been there since the legislation.

Hopefully great news here.

HSB 10-11-2006 12:41 PM

This means it's pretty much business as usual until the regulations come out at which time things may change.

People may have to change sites they play at but that's about the extent of things.

DING-DONG YO 10-11-2006 12:41 PM

You can post a link to the full WSJ article that can be read by non-subscribers by going to "email link to friends", then email the link to yourself, then post the link!

jackaaron 10-11-2006 12:45 PM

They will continue to allow us to deposit, and transfer. But, will they allow us to transfer money to poker sites?

They don't have to shut down operations in the US at all. They could still accept our payments all day, and not violate laws by not giving our money to poker sites.

DING-DONG YO 10-11-2006 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a moderator, to be sure, but I think we've printed quite enough from the story-- it is a pay site, the Wall St. Journal, and let's don't open up a needless small can of worms here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no can of worms, I have done this before. The link lasts for 10 days.

And yes, you're not a mod and don't know what you're talking about. Posting a link is not a copyright infringement.

BluffTHIS! 10-11-2006 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

....and if the regulation enforcements by the banks that are supposed to ultimately go into effect preclude blocking Neteller, we've dodged a huge bullet and it really will be business as usual.

This may help me regain my game focus that has not quite been there since the legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

CR,

You mean MajorWager's secret for sure inside sources were WRONG? Were they lying? Just guessing so as to try to build credibility if they guessed right? WTF?

03 Z4 10-11-2006 01:01 PM

Neteller: \"We Are Staying In The US\"

First good news I've since the law passage!!!

Bit surprise but I'm not complaining.

Poofler 10-11-2006 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

CR,

You mean MajorWager's secret for sure inside sources were WRONG? Were they lying? Just guessing so as to try to build credibility if they guessed right? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Reminds me of those stock scams, where they advise 500 people to buy a stock, and 500 people to sell. Eventually after 6 stock picks and market-halvings, they look like geniuses to about 15 people who might give them business.

Artsemis 10-11-2006 01:17 PM

Neteller has already said over a week ago that they wasn't going anywhere.

ajmargarine 10-11-2006 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but....it's still nice to get a late hour confirmation.

silentbob 10-11-2006 01:30 PM

I'm a MD resident and soon to be ex-Firepay customer. I work in VA. What's the best way for me to sign up with Neteller? Get a P.O. Box in VA, open up a bank account using that VA address, then link accordingly?

BluffTHIS! 10-11-2006 01:33 PM

sb,

They will verify your ID by matching last 4 SSN with same on your credit report. If they don't also match the address for you on the credit report with the one you provide in VA, then you should be in the clear. Of course that still won't let you use your debit card in MD.

sbj99 10-11-2006 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true, they hadn't clearly stated their intentions like this. What they previously said was that they continue to run business as usual, without giving any indication of what it will do in the future one way or the other.

barryc83 10-11-2006 01:55 PM

Are there any articles related to this over the past week in the WSJ newspaper? I checked today's but couldn't find anything.

Indiana 10-11-2006 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This means it's pretty much business as usual until the regulations come out at which time things may change.

People may have to change sites they play at but that's about the extent of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

so we're in the clear for like what, 8 months? YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!@

Indy

pokerstudAA 10-11-2006 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it is on now. Stars will quickly become the #1 place to play once they issue their "we are staying" statement.

whangarei 10-11-2006 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Woot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark L 10-11-2006 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rando 10-11-2006 02:19 PM

I don't care about anyone who wants to be pessimistic, I'm going to cash out enough to buy a bottle of Cristal and hire a few ladies for the night! Yeah baby! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

maurile 10-11-2006 02:21 PM

Is this a good sign for Stars as well? Does it indicate that Neteller met with officials in the Isle of Man and liked what they heard about extradition issues and such?

CutCreator 10-11-2006 02:26 PM

if stars make their statement as says they are staying, i am going to celebrate and get on with my poker life.

whangarei 10-11-2006 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a good sign for Stars as well? Does it indicate that Neteller met with officials in the Isle of Man and liked what they heard about extradition issues and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete speculation with no expertise or inside info, but I would say Yes! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JPFisher55 10-11-2006 02:35 PM

Also, it might mean that they are pretty sure that the US regs will not impede their ACH's that they use through Barclay's.

JPFisher55 10-11-2006 02:37 PM

No more like they advise everyone to buy when they are selling everything they have.

Gregg777 10-11-2006 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can post a link to the full WSJ article that can be read by non-subscribers by going to "email link to friends", then email the link to yourself, then post the link!

[/ QUOTE ]

Will someone please do this and post a link?

TryTight 10-11-2006 03:23 PM

"Staying in the US" still leaves wiggle room for them to later say, "we will continue to do business in the US, just not with gaming sites." However, I hope they don't, then this would be a huge win for us.

03 Z4 10-11-2006 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Staying in the US" still leaves wiggle room for them to later say, "we will continue to do business in the US, just not with gaming sites."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how much business out there besides gaming transactions for these online banking sites. I would think not much. Paypal dominates the non-gaming stuff.

Gregg777 10-11-2006 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Staying in the US" still leaves wiggle room for them to later say, "we will continue to do business in the US, just not with gaming sites."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how much business out there besides gaming transactions for these online banking sites. I would think not much. Paypal dominates the non-gaming stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the statement could temporarily prevent a rush on withdrawals.

dingying 10-11-2006 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like the kind of news that stars has been waiting for. . .

sygamel 10-11-2006 04:26 PM

I'd say this statement by Neteller combined with the user agreement US customers were asked to comply with for future Neteller use signals that the company thinks it's in a good position legally vs the US gov't vis a vis their customers.

In summary, I'm not sure this today's quote from the online gaming conference is good news or bad news. I don't feel better or worse than I did yesterday after hearing about the Firepay pullout.

phuc 10-11-2006 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will someone please do this and post a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

WSJ Article on Neteller

Wake up CALL 10-11-2006 05:56 PM

Not trying to rain on your parade but...

Interesting excerpt from the Neteller T&C's:

15.3 We assume that prior to opening your Account, you have determined that opening and maintaining your Account does not violate any law or regulations in your country of residence and jurisdiction. You warrant that you are not violating any laws or regulations by your use of the NETELLER Service and you agree to indemnify NETELLER, its affiliates, subsidiaries, agents and subcontractors, from and against any and all liability that might arise from your use of the NETELLER Service in violation of any law or regulation.