Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Name my Company (if we pick it, I'll send you $100) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=228889)

SossMan 10-04-2006 11:56 PM

Name my Company (if we pick it, I\'ll send you $100)

I am opening a real estate and mortgage company with a partner. We will be located in San Jose and specializing in residential real estate transactions (buyers/sellers/financing/property management) with some small commercial mixed in there.

There is a joke that there are 30 words that you can use to start a financial service company and they are drawn out of a hat at random:
Professional.....Mortgage.....Solutions
Pacific....Funders.....Group......
United.....Capital......Properties.....Company

You get the point. I DON'T want to have a generic name like that. However, I would like something that indicates what we do. I also don't want it to end with the words, "Realty and Loan" because that sounds like a pawn shop.

I want something that sounds classy, upscale, high end. We are both fairly young (27) so overcoming the 'expertise' objection will be common for at least a while. I believe a name can go a long way into providing subconscience trust. We have some very purple cow ideas and I would like our name to reflect some of that same quality.

FWIW, my name is Andrew Soss and his is Kasey Stewart, so maybe there is something there to work with.

Autocratic 10-05-2006 12:12 AM

Re: Name my Company (if we pick it, I\'ll send you $100)

San Jose Real Estate and Mortgage

Thremp 10-05-2006 12:23 AM

Sosska Inc.

You're now Nordic.

SossMan 10-05-2006 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sosska Inc.

You're now Nordic.

[/ QUOTE ]

gong. effort appreciated, though.

AmadisSB 10-05-2006 01:13 AM

use some interweb lingo!

QFT Life Starters!

hanster 10-05-2006 01:17 AM

Magna Corporation

schundler 10-05-2006 01:56 AM

what's wrong with Stewart-Soss? Like Mack-Cali, which is a real estate company.

Stewart-Soss Financial if you don't like just the S-S

AmadisSB 10-05-2006 02:02 AM

So-Stew

snowbank 10-05-2006 02:20 AM

Andrew,

Do you do any hard money loans for rehabs?

-Bill

HoldingFolding 10-05-2006 02:29 AM

Impala Property

That way you have the P & P for some rhythm & any easy logo choice.

http://www.africancapesafaris.com/im.../impala_tf.jpg

Thremp 10-05-2006 02:33 AM

Make something in Arabic, I'm sure you'll get lots of biznaz.

calmB4storm 10-05-2006 02:43 AM

Forward Financial

Reef 10-05-2006 03:48 AM

United Mortgage Solutions
San Jose Mortgage & Properties

poker-penguin 10-05-2006 06:21 AM

Andrew and Kasey - The House Guys
Castle Advisors / Castle Property Solutions
FTW Brokers
Stewart-Soss Partners

aramfingal 10-05-2006 06:22 AM

Village Unique Properties
village being a trendy word for wealthy suburbs.
unique for your purple cow ideas.
the words are unrelated, and make it sound like it could be the result of a merger, making it seem like you have more experience.
or village unique realty might be better.

grando 10-05-2006 06:33 AM

Flancrest Enterprises

mshalen 10-05-2006 11:32 AM

What exactly will this company be doing? Based on what you wrote it sounds like a typical residential brokerage company that has a side mortgage business. But then you added property management and commercial, which are both aimed at very different markets from the residential side of the business.

I currently own a commercial real estate brokagege company that specializes in tenant representation of small (under 10,000 sf) tenants (yes this sounds like a very small market niche but most companies have under 25 employees and are not pusued or served by the large multinational firms). So I picked a name that tells people excactly what I do "Tenant Advisors". You would be amazed how many calls/hits I get based just on the fact that my name tells people exactly what I do. As a test try standing a street corner and ask 1,000 people to name a commercial real estate firm - I would bet maybe 10 people could name one of the top 5 firms. So when small companies in my area search for a firm they have no idea who Cushman and Wakefield are or that CB/Richard Ellis is not he same company as Grubb & Ellis.

Think about what keywords an uninformed typical potential customer would use to search on google and use those words in your name. If you were looking for a property mangement firm and opened the yellow pages would you call "Johnson and Associates Property Management" or "Property Management Solutions"?

I would suggest that you form seprate companies to work within each type of business specialty. Form a residential brokerage, a property mangement company, a mortgage company and a commercial brokerage. Then pick names that work for each industry specific company. If you pick one name that tries to encompass all these business niches you will not have a specific name that will help a potential client to pick up the phone or click on your PPC adv.

PanchoVilla 10-05-2006 01:00 PM

My ideas

Kramerica Investments
Kramerica Financial
Brown Trout Property (very purple cowish name)
All County Properties (along with the obvious tag line)
"We keep you from getting sacked for a loss"

(Sup Bro Investments just doesn't inpsire much confidence)

Pancho

PS Whatever you pick can you make sure you post the name somewhere. I am a licensed Realtor in San Jose and would like to keep aware in case my current boss sleeps with my wife or something.

DrNo888 10-05-2006 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS Whatever you pick can you make sure you post the name somewhere. I am a licensed Realtor in San Jose and would like to keep aware in case my current boss sleeps with my wife or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean when you start sleeping with his wife???

PanchoVilla 10-05-2006 04:39 PM

Maybe that is what I really meant DrNo, but it sounds sooooo much less sleazy the way I asked it.........

Pancho

The DaveR 10-05-2006 04:51 PM

Nomura Asset Capital

SossMan 10-05-2006 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly will this company be doing? Based on what you wrote it sounds like a typical residential brokerage company that has a side mortgage business. But then you added property management and commercial, which are both aimed at very different markets from the residential side of the business.

I currently own a commercial real estate brokagege company that specializes in tenant representation of small (under 10,000 sf) tenants (yes this sounds like a very small market niche but most companies have under 25 employees and are not pusued or served by the large multinational firms). So I picked a name that tells people excactly what I do "Tenant Advisors". You would be amazed how many calls/hits I get based just on the fact that my name tells people exactly what I do. As a test try standing a street corner and ask 1,000 people to name a commercial real estate firm - I would bet maybe 10 people could name one of the top 5 firms. So when small companies in my area search for a firm they have no idea who Cushman and Wakefield are or that CB/Richard Ellis is not he same company as Grubb & Ellis.

Think about what keywords an uninformed typical potential customer would use to search on google and use those words in your name. If you were looking for a property mangement firm and opened the yellow pages would you call "Johnson and Associates Property Management" or "Property Management Solutions"?

I would suggest that you form seprate companies to work within each type of business specialty. Form a residential brokerage, a property mangement company, a mortgage company and a commercial brokerage. Then pick names that work for each industry specific company. If you pick one name that tries to encompass all these business niches you will not have a specific name that will help a potential client to pick up the phone or click on your PPC adv.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderful advice and something that we have talked about.

SossMan 10-05-2006 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's wrong with Stewart-Soss? Like Mack-Cali, which is a real estate company.

Stewart-Soss Financial if you don't like just the S-S

[/ QUOTE ]

Some variation of Stewart/Soss is my choice, but he's not as keen on it as I am, hence the post.

SossMan 10-05-2006 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew,

-Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. email me @ andrewsoss@gmail.com

snowbank 10-05-2006 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Andrew,

-Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. email me @ andrewsoss@gmail.com

[/ QUOTE ]

sent

cabbagehead7 10-06-2006 01:40 AM

Walmart

pureklas 10-06-2006 05:35 AM

San Jose P.M.S.

10-06-2006 09:06 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Floofy 10-06-2006 12:59 PM

Financial Heros (with hero all in purple and blue)

John21 10-06-2006 04:00 PM

I agree with mshalen. Keep it simple, direct and clean. The whitty name is great at first, but after you answer the questions "who are you, what do you do" for the thousandth time, you'll wish you started with simple.

Just a quick idea:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...rtsosslogo.gif

10-06-2006 05:53 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

cookieb 10-07-2006 11:31 PM

If I learned anything from Cheers it is you should call yourslf AAAAA Morgatge so you are first in the phone book.

SossMan 10-07-2006 11:52 PM

I don't want to work with people who choose their real estate company out of the yellow pages.

James282 10-09-2006 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to work with people who choose their real estate company out of the yellow pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you do.

SossMan 10-09-2006 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was being a little coy, but I'm not going to base my company name on what comes up first in the yellow pages. It's not a plumming company.

eastbay 10-11-2006 12:41 AM

You gotta throw a $20 bone for the worst suggestion.

How about:

Stew Soss, Inc.

eastbay

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 10-11-2006 06:26 AM

ASKS Real Estate

DangerGoodson 10-11-2006 01:01 PM

Triumph Inc

DanS 10-11-2006 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pacific....Funders.....Group......
United.....Capital......Properties.....Company

[/ QUOTE ]

Pacific Chair Replacement Funders' Group.

P.S. I'll take my $100 reward in cookies, please.

whipsaw 10-11-2006 05:31 PM

Something I came up with quickly - probably more tonight when I have a real graphics editor available

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9127/prodigyww6.png