Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Radical Islam vs. Radical Christianity (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213447)

Nepa 09-15-2006 11:56 PM

Radical Islam vs. Radical Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
Radical Christianity is just as threatening as Radical Islam

[/ QUOTE ]

Not said by me but Rosie O'Donnell. To tell you the truth I really don't like Rosie at all but does she have a point here?

evangelicalright

WordWhiz 09-16-2006 12:02 AM

Re: Radical Islam vs. Radical Christianity

Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda. Seems about as bad as anything Islam has to offer.

JackWhite 09-16-2006 12:11 AM

No, she doesn't have a point. When radical Christians hijack planes or blowup subways or trains, get back to me. These radical Christians in the US, Falwell, Robertson etc...try to influence politicians and voters to adopt their agenda. I disagree with many things in the agenda, but at least that is the American way.

Nepa 09-16-2006 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, she doesn't have a point. When radical Christians hijack planes or blowup subways or trains, get back to me. These radical Christians in the US, Falwell, Robertson etc...try to influence politicians and voters to adopt their agenda. I disagree with many things in the agenda, but at least that is the American way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they, the evangelical right influence the politicians to go into Iraq? Or was that just the Bush administrations idea?

I guess a better question is. Is the evangelical right radical Christians?

JackWhite 09-16-2006 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did they, the evangelical right influence the politicians to go into Iraq? Or was that just the Bush administrations idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of people in the Bush Administration, plus many of the war hawks outside the Administration, who are not radical Christians. I didn't support the Iraq war, but we did have a vote in Congress to authorize it. The American people can choose to vote out members of Congress who voted differently than they wanted them to vote. I am not sure how that compares to radical muslims who commit acts of violence . I think it is a huge stretch to call the Iraq war a product of radical Christianity.

Nepa 09-16-2006 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of people in the Bush Administration, plus many of the war hawks outside the Administration, who are not radical Christians. I didn't support the Iraq war, but we did have a vote in Congress to authorize it. The American people can choose to vote out members of Congress who voted differently than they wanted them to vote. I am not sure how that compares to radical muslims who commit acts of violence . I think it is a huge stretch to call the Iraq war a product of radical Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

When an Iraqi hears Democracy the first thing that pops into their heads is Christianity.

Exsubmariner 09-16-2006 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When radical Christians hijack planes or blowup subways or trains, get back to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Do abortion clinics count?

ShakeZula06 09-16-2006 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When radical Christians hijack planes or blowup subways or trains, get back to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Do abortion clinics count?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you doing here? Good point either way

iron81 09-16-2006 12:39 AM

His ban expired or was lifted. I even hijacked a thread in ATF to welcome him back.

Back on topic, I disagree that radical Christianity is as dangerous as radical islam for the simple reason that I could count the number of Radical Christians I have heard of that want to murder people on my fingers. I also find it contemptable to call people essentially taking a political position dangerous, although calling their policy positions dangerous is fine (and the positions are dangerous).

Exsubmariner 09-16-2006 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I even hijacked a thread in ATF to welcome him back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to say thanks. Good to be back. I had to promise to be good.

Nepa 09-16-2006 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His ban expired or was lifted. I even hijacked a thread in ATF to welcome him back.

Back on topic, I disagree that radical Christianity is as dangerous as radical islam for the simple reason that I could count the number of Radical Christians I have heard of that want to murder people on my fingers. I also find it contemptable to call people essentially taking a political position dangerous, although calling their policy positions dangerous is fine (and the positions are dangerous).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about their political positions in the original post. Is being a Radical Christian a political position?

ShakeZula06 09-16-2006 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about their political positions in the original post. Is being a Radical Christian a political position?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are things such as defense of Israel that radical christians/evengelists seem to support as a whole.

Fact of the matter is anything radicallized is bad. Even if you consider christianity a good thing too much of a good thing is bad.

As for how bad Radical Christianity is, you'd have to look at all the things that have been done in the name of the Christian God. OF course there are good things, but a lot of bad too. I say this as someone who was a practising Christian up until a couple months ago.

jdock99 09-16-2006 06:40 AM

Something gives me the idea that if Rosie O'Donnell (an openly gay woman) had to choose to live in an Evangelical Christian town in South Carolina or a Radical Islam town in Saudi Arabia she would choose the former, as would 99% of all other people, including most Muslims in the world.

Broken Glass Can 09-16-2006 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something gives me the idea that if Rosie O'Donnell (an openly gay woman) had to choose to live in an Evangelical Christian town in South Carolina or a Radical Islam town in Saudi Arabia she would choose the former, as would 99% of all other people, including most Muslims in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, do you mean to say that openly gay women are <u>allowed to live</u> in radical Islamic towns?

Mickey Brausch 09-16-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to be back. I had to promise to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]You mean, without knowing what you did wrong, you promised not to do it again.

Is this a poker website or what?

vulturesrow 09-16-2006 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good to be back. I had to promise to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]You mean, without knowing what you did wrong, you promised not to do it again.

Is this a poker website or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear hear.

elscorcho768 09-16-2006 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the entire scope of history, yes, of course, both are equalling threatening. In the current environment, that is aboslutely ridiculous. I think the latter is closer to Rosie's intentions. Since she is clearly a political idiot and not a scholar or intellect, her opinion on the subject normally shouldn't merit much thought. But it seems a lot of peope agree with this statement, which is troubling. People understood the threat of Nazism. I think everyone needs to understand the threat of Islamic fundamentalism.

elscorcho768 09-16-2006 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When an Iraqi hears Democracy the first thing that pops into their heads is Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we are apparantly just making things up now, let me say that when a baby hears applesauce, the first thing that pops into their heads is the theory of relativity.

The ironic thing is the same people who say the Iraq war was started by the Christian fundamentalists probably also say it was orchestrated by the predominantly Jewish Neo-Cons. It can't possibly be that an administration made up of people who believed in the necessity of the war began the war.

Nielsio 09-16-2006 04:50 PM

All religion is dangerous and harmful.

bisonbison 09-16-2006 07:01 PM

The rise of the christian right has moved the country to the right in the last 20 years, but the movement's successful spread has forced it to pander to a lot of moderate conservatives. People who might want sex-ed out of schools but who like american culture as long as they feel they can filter it for their kids.

They're so mainstream now that they couldn't imagine making a ruckus. The average religious conservative has a real hope of success in the law-abiding American mode. So their political pressure may hold certain things at bay (pot, gay marriage, science or arts funding), they're unlikely to really turn back the clock, and will feel threatened or dubious or embarressed when a fossil like Falwell gets on TV to suck ass.

You're always gonna have lone nutjobs and, 30% of the population is always gonna want ridiculous things, but the Jerry Falwells aren't going to turn back the clock without some serious American disasters.

bisonbison 09-16-2006 07:04 PM

If believing that helps you sleep at night, I guess I can't object... A lot of people think a lot of stupid things.

AScorz 09-16-2006 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not said by me but Rosie O'Donnell. To tell you the truth I really don't like Rosie at all but does she have a point here?

evangelicalright

[/ QUOTE ]

When radical christians are doing this then tell me they are just as dangerous. I recently found this movie through a radio talk show. I agree it is the most important movie or our time. Apparently Rosie has not seen it.

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/

boracay 09-16-2006 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to be more precise - All Western religion is dangerous and harmful.

AScorz 09-16-2006 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure?

boracay 09-16-2006 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, some analitics would tell you that inner enemy is always much more dangerous than outside enemy could ever be.
it can use more subtile maneuvers, it's not that easy recognizable, public support might be divided and it's much more difficult to get support against inner evil. it's much more manipulative.

so i disagree. i'd say radical christianity is much more threatening than radical islam could ever be for the USA. and vice versa of course. radical islam is much more threatening than radical christianity could ever be for muslim countries.

radical christianity can turn USA into a dark for longer period, while radical islam can't.

imagine flies attacking elephant. no big deal i guess althought very annoying, some might even bite. and now imagine virus in elephant's head. brain damage could paralyze him. but still, for elephant are much more annoying visible flies than virus.

all radical monsters in history came from beliefs of their own religion, not some foreign. they succesfully manipulated with their people, how superior they are against others, how they deserve and demand more, that they are those who should put the rules for the others behaviour. and most of times those mosters actualy believed their god is whispering them what to do (or sometimes even believed they are a god).

again, if disagree put it vice versa for better perspective. radical islam is much more threatening than radical christianity could ever be for muslim countries. or not?

ShakeZula06 09-16-2006 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If believing that helps you sleep at night, I guess I can't object... A lot of people think a lot of stupid things.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't exactly what you just said the main reason people believe in Christianity?

Nielsio 09-17-2006 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, _all_ religious belief. Buddhism and all that stuff included.

Nielsio 09-17-2006 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you:

Religion is not knowledge. The beliefs are not rational in the mind (consistent, connected to other knowledge, etc), nor are they transmitted rationally (like you would through scientific means).

So if it's not knowledge; what is it then, and how DOES it transmit?

Religious belief is a traumatic complex..
http://www.freedomainradio.com/Traff...human_soul.mp3

..that behaves very much virus like.
http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/Worl...sesofmind.shtml

Nielsio 09-17-2006 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't exactly what you just said the main reason people believe in Christianity?

[/ QUOTE ]

In psychology, psychological projection (or projection bias) is a defence mechanism in which one attributes ("projects") to others, one’s own unacceptable or unwanted thoughts or/and emotions. Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted subconscious impulses/desires without letting the ego recognize them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

AScorz 09-17-2006 03:15 AM

Ok, I don't agree with that, but why do you say western religion is more dangerous then all? I'm asumin you mean christianity.

Nielsio 09-17-2006 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I don't agree with that, but why do you say western religion is more dangerous then all? I'm asumin you mean christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything comparatively. I simply made a sweeping argument. Comparing evils is silly.

The once and future king 09-17-2006 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Christians whos agenda is trying to make current affairs match the book of revelations. This means trying to encourage nuclear war in the middle east.

The once and future king 09-17-2006 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could count the number of Radical Christians I have heard of that want to murder people on my fingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is they dont want to murder anyone, because they expect god to do all the murdering for them post rapture.

The differance between radical Islamics and radical Christians (at least born again christains aka endtimers) who believe it is now the end of days, is that the former mearly want to convert everyone to Islam, the latter want to use their power and influnece to try and help instigate the apocalypse.

I am 10000000000000 times more afraid of certian branches of radical christianity. Just because you can see the overt and obvious dangers of Islam, donst mean you should naively ignore more covert and potentialy far more destructive dangers.

JackWhite 09-17-2006 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The differance between radical Islamics and radical Christians (at least born again christains aka endtimers) who believe it is now the end of days, is that the former mearly want to convert everyone to Islam, the latter want to use their power and influnece to try and help instigate the apocalypse.

[/ QUOTE ]

They merely want to convent people to Islam? If converting people is all they wanted to do, that would be fine with me. The Jehovah's Witnesses want to convert me when they knock on my door. They are mildly annoying, but I can ask them to leave. I don't have that option with radical Islamic terrorists.

As far as American end-timers who want to inact policies to further than end time beliefs..well, don't vote for them. If policies are enacted the American people don't like, they have some say. Again, we don't have that same option to stop radical Islamic terrorists. I don't see how any comparison is justified, let alone a belief that American Christians are more dangerous than radical Islamic terrorists. You must have a strong hatred of Christians to come to this conclusion.

[Phill] 09-17-2006 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could count the number of Radical Christians I have heard of that want to murder people on my fingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is they dont want to murder anyone, because they expect god to do all the murdering for them post rapture.

I am 10000000000000 times more afraid of certian branches of radical christianity. Just because you can see the overt and obvious dangers of Islam, donst mean you should naively ignore more covert and potentialy far more destructive dangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im guessing you saw the same documentary here in the UK yesterday that i did.

Indeed End Timers are truly the most dangerous religious movement right now.

If they get their way (and you can argue that they are) then if they are wrong then we are all very very [censored].

The once and future king 09-17-2006 06:51 PM

The fact that you use the word hate immediately indicates that in fact you are the one with a emotional attachment to the issues.

I cant vote in American elections, and it is America where the endtimers have the most power and influence, especialy with the current administration.

My views far from being based on hatred is based on a clear objective rational understanding that radical Christians have alot more destructive potential than muslim radicals that dont have as their end goal the total destruction of the planet and humankind as do some radical christians.

To some powerfull and influential radical christians elements the Book of Relevations is now the most important text in the Bible. I assume I dont need to spell out what this means.

If one applys resaon one moves beyond a simple reflexive fear of overt and obvious danger and one looks deeper into the murky machinations which have as there aim destruction far beyond the scope of OBL et al. That is the deciding FACT. The aims of each group of radicals. The Christian radicals want to blow up the world and bring about the apocaplyse, what OBL wants to do is small potatoes in comparison.

ACPlayer 09-17-2006 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think all organized religion is dangerous and harmful (the individual theologies of any of the religions are neither harmful nor dangerous).

The danger and is hugely amplified whenever religion and politics, even start to get close.

AScorz 09-17-2006 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the president of Iran is trying to do? His plan is to unite the worlds 10 billion muslims into this goal.

ShakeZula06 09-17-2006 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the president of Iran is trying to do? His plan is to unite the worlds 10 billion muslims into this goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) You have no proof Iran is trying to unite the muslim world
2) The american government placed the Iranian government in control
3) There are not even 10 billion people in the world, let alone muslims.

ShakeZula06 09-17-2006 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I think all organized religion is dangerous and harmful (the individual theologies of any of the religions are neither harmful nor dangerous).

The danger and is hugely amplified whenever religion and politics, even start to get close.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT