Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   3/6 Play Along On A Resteal Attempt (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=206686)

Harv72b 09-07-2006 05:24 PM

3/6 Play Along On A Resteal Attempt

This is very obviously not a standard play for me. The table was short-handed and loaded with piss poor players (all on my left, d'oh!), which made MP2's raise a lot less frightening than it normally would have been. My own table image was solid & TAG, and even the bad players were starting to notice that, so I felt I had a decent chance of getting heads up & stealing this pot postflop from a better hand.

MP2 is a known, solid TAG over a 500+ hand sample. 20/12/2.3, and clearly a winning player. I felt/feel that he is very capable of laying down a raising hand like AJ or KQ UI postflop, even a stronger hand if the board warrants it...to say nothing of hands he might be raising here, like A7s etc. BB is unknown. If it makes a difference, Button is 33/4/1 over 400, and SB is 15/9/3 over ~350. There's another 35/5 type sitting out in the seat on my left.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero...?

Feel free to berate the preflop play if you must. I think that postflop is much more interesting, though, and how often do we see a post about playing 42s in a big pot? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hobbs. 09-07-2006 05:29 PM

Re: 3/6 Play Along On A Resteal Attempt

&lt;insert something about preflop&gt;

You likely get more value by calling the flop and getting bb to come along giving yourself better odds to draw. By raising the flop you are basically hoping that you can get AK to fold the turn UIed, but this involves betting the turn UIed and this just isn't going to happen enough to make raising more profitable than calling.

Basically, turn and/or river well.

JJH3984 09-07-2006 05:47 PM

I don't see very much value in raising and shutting out BB. I also think its very likely that MP2 will threebet if you raise. I'd just call the flop.

alul 09-07-2006 05:54 PM

You got lucky and flopped what you were supposed to flop: flush and backdoor straight draws. There is no need now to drive opponents out by raising, you don't need to protect your hand. Just make sure the right cards come on the turn and the river and put your opponents on tilt.

James. 09-07-2006 06:30 PM

i guess i would call. we sure are missing out on cleaning up our "4" outs(i think the twos are pretty clean). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KurtSF 09-07-2006 07:21 PM

Why abandon the intention to steal now that you have a nice draw? Raise it up!

What can he cap with? You have a good chance of pushing him off JJ (6), TT (6), and AK (11, not AdKd). AA (6), KK (6), QQ (3), AQs (3), and AdKd (1) are coming along. Those are the legitimate capping hands. He could also have AJ, AQo, AT, A9, KQ, QJ, JT, T9, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55 if you caught him out on a limb on a steal here. AQo, 99, 55, KQ, QJ, A9, T9, JT, and anything suited in diamonds will probably come along here. He's a rather tight player so let's figure 80% chance he's for real and 20% in the second group.

So he looks like a reraise 66% and call 33% on legit, and reraise 15%, call 35%, fold 50% on a move. I think you have 10% fold equity on this street alone. Plus you have about 25% equity (one in three to hit your flush, discounted for bigger flush possibilities and redraws, bouyed by a barely mentionable backdoor straight draw).

Is that enough to raise? I don't know. But based on the read I think you may have an additional 30% fold equity on the next 2 streets if you maintain the aggression.

I say cap the flop, call a 3-bet on the turn if you miss there, and then c/f if you miss the river and b/c if you hit.

$0.02 - I'm ready to be ripped apart...

KurtSF 09-07-2006 07:23 PM

Oh, and needless to say the analysis all changes if the BB follows you guys to the turn with all the betting you're doing.

Hobbs. 09-07-2006 07:25 PM

kurtSF, there are like zero hands that are bet/folding this flop and thus require us to put in another bet on the turn. Because of this raising is much less appealing.

ncboiler 09-07-2006 07:27 PM

This seems to be an easy call. You are easily behind and MP2 knows he is ahead...or thinks he is ahead until you prove to him you have QQ. Call...get an overcall and see what the turn brings.

PF I fold. Do you want to go HU against a solid player w/ 2/4s?

JJH3984 09-07-2006 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why abandon the intention to steal now that you have a nice draw? Raise it up!

What can he cap with? You have a good chance of pushing him off JJ (6), TT (6), and AK (11, not AdKd). AA (6), KK (6), QQ (3), AQs (3), and AdKd (1) are coming along. Those are the legitimate capping hands. He could also have AJ, AQo, AT, A9, KQ, QJ, JT, T9, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55 if you caught him out on a limb on a steal here. AQo, 99, 55, KQ, QJ, A9, T9, JT, and anything suited in diamonds will probably come along here. He's a rather tight player so let's figure 80% chance he's for real and 20% in the second group.

So he looks like a reraise 66% and call 33% on legit, and reraise 15%, call 35%, fold 50% on a move. I think you have 10% fold equity on this street alone. Plus you have about 25% equity (one in three to hit your flush, discounted for bigger flush possibilities and redraws, bouyed by a barely mentionable backdoor straight draw).

Is that enough to raise? I don't know. But based on the read I think you may have an additional 30% fold equity on the next 2 streets if you maintain the aggression.

I say cap the flop, call a 3-bet on the turn if you miss there, and then c/f if you miss the river and b/c if you hit.

$0.02 - I'm ready to be ripped apart...

[/ QUOTE ]

If opponent threebets the flop, you have practicly 0 fold equity. As it is, you have no where near the fold equity you think you do. Capping the flop is spew and Raising a turn bet after that is certainly spew.

Edit: you have almost no fold equity on the flop IMO.

KurtSF 09-07-2006 07:33 PM

Enh. You're right. But there are a ton of hands that can get there that will fold on the turn (or river) if they whiff.

I still don't see why you abandon the steal beacuse you have a decent draw. How would you play AA here?

JJH3984 09-07-2006 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Enh. You're right. But there are a ton of hands that can get there that will fold on the turn (or river) if they whiff.

I still don't see why you abandon the steal beacuse you have a decent draw. How would you play AA here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter how i'd play AA here. We gain more value, in my opinion, from calling than from trying to force villian off a better hand. Think about the way you can gain the most value from a given situation rather than stubornly deciding that we are stealing and trying to force our way through the hand.

alul 09-07-2006 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't see why you abandon the steal beacuse you have a decent draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we hoped to get headsup with MP2 and overplay him postflop. Now with BB in the hand (who called 2 cold PF) it's not a steal anymore.

ncboiler 09-07-2006 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we hoped to get headsup with MP2 and overplay him postflop. Now with BB in the hand (who called 2 cold PF) it's not a steal anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 is a known good winning player. Why do you want to go heads up against him expecting to out play him? This is not a long term winning strategy.

Xhad 09-07-2006 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the action after your initial 3bet. At what point do you admit that just maybe Villain has a real hand and trying to bluff him off is just spewing?

Preflop is ok though I'd rather just call (but possibly float the flop if it goes HU). Flop is an easy call. What's really interesting is if the turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

ncboiler: The thinking behind preflop is that we're in position against someone who is probably raising light and will be forced to c/f a lot of flops.

JJH3984 09-07-2006 07:57 PM

Oh, I think preflop is a fold too, but I think almost everyone, including OP, knows that.

alul 09-07-2006 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 is a known good winning player. Why do you want to go heads up against him expecting to out play him? This is not a long term winning strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not say I wanted it. It was in the OP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Xhad 09-07-2006 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I think preflop is a fold too, but I think almost everyone, including OP, knows that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't fold this.

alul 09-07-2006 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You always cold call 2 or re-raise in CO with 24s? Wow.

JJH3984 09-07-2006 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 4 high. Although I'm willing to listen why you are playing 24s against a good player to a raise. Please tell me why?

KurtSF 09-07-2006 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even I know that... and I'm rooting for cap the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ncboiler 09-07-2006 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the action after your initial 3bet. At what point do you admit that just maybe Villain has a real hand and trying to bluff him off is just spewing?

Preflop is ok though I'd rather just call (but possibly float the flop if it goes HU). Flop is an easy call. What's really interesting is if the turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

ncboiler: The thinking behind preflop is that we're in position against someone who is probably raising light and will be forced to c/f a lot of flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that but this is a marginal at best play.

Mr_Donktastic 09-07-2006 09:41 PM

Wow Harv I didn't know you had it in you...you pull this crap against me too?

I think you should probably just call the flop. And the turn if you don't hit...just remember to spike the river.

OTH - I don't think raising the flop is really bad if BB stays in (cuz you have good pot equity aginst 2 opp) OR BB folds and you slow MP2 down (get him to call and check turn) But since neither of those are certain or even likely slowing down is probably the better play.

Harv72b 09-07-2006 10:21 PM

Some very good arguments here for flat calling the flop. So of course I raised. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My reasoning was as follows:

-MP2 has a real hand, obviously, after he capped it preflop. But what real hand? After my preflop 3-bet &amp; then raising the flop 3-handed despite his cap, pretty much every hand he could have, other than QQ, is going to be at least a little scared by this flop. And even if he does have QQ, he could easily decide for a turn c/r rather than 3-betting the flop...especially if BB coldcalls again. I think the only times I get 3-bet are when he's holding AA/KK &amp; testing the waters, or when BB connected &amp; check/3-bets.

-I'm not worried about trying to keep BB in the hand at this point. He's an unknown who coldcalled a preflop 3-bet, which generally means one of two things: either he's got a big hand, which he will probably call 2 more on the flop with in this huge pot, or he sucks at poker &amp; will call 2 more with whatever he's holding. On the other hand, if I do fold him out this might also buy me some outs...it's still entirely possible that MP2 is holding AK here, in which case folding out a made hand by BB (something like 88, for example) could buy me an additional 6 outs in the hand.

-I'm going to get a free card by raising a lot. If, on the other hand, I do force BB out of the pot with a flop raise, I'm going to take the pot down with a turn bet vs. a thinking player relatively often, too....he will probably lay down AK (obviously not suited to diamonds) to a turn bet, and will also fold JJ/TT fairly often I think.

That's what I was thinking at the time, or rather what I thought about afterwards when figuring out why I raised the flop almost instantaneously during the hand. Reading the responses here, perhaps flat calling would have been a better play. At any rate, on to the turn....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero...?

To make things a bit more interesting, because I think this decision is pretty obvious, does your action change if BB had folded the flop? Or if somehow BB had called 2 &amp; MP2 then folded?

Harv72b 09-07-2006 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly the kind of player that I want to end up heads up against, with position, while holding a hand like 42s. Because he is a good, thinking opponent, he is never going to put me on 42 when I 3-bet him preflop. Ever. Even if I make a play like this against him and show down the hand, he still can't put me on something like that...just realize then that it's possible I'm holding some crap suited cards. It's not only an attempted resteal, but against a player like this it also plays into the metagame...he will take note of this play when/if I show my cards down, and once he knows I'm capable of doing something like this it will enter into future hands that we play against each other (and any guy that I have hundreds of hands on is obviously a regular multi-tabler, so there will be many future hands together), and will probably cause him to make some FTOP errors against me in those hands.

Doing this against a bad opponent is just stupid, because that opponent is probably not going to fold postflop when the board misses him, even badly, and is not going to take a note on my play when I do show down 42s after 3-betting preflop.

A good player, however, will be capable of laying down a big ace when the board misses him, or a medium pocket pair when an overcard or two shows up. Meaning that, against a good, TAG, thinking opponent, I don't actually have to make a hand to win the pot; and when I do, the benefits extend well beyond this one hand.

And yes, this is obviously not a winning long term strategy; just something that I might try once every 1,000 hands or so when the conditions warrant it.

Finally, there's the psychological aspect of it for the current session. My goal at any table I sit at is quite simply to put the fear of God into all of my opponents when I enter a pot. With the style of game that I play, I want my opponents to be scared to see a flop against me, I want them to fold rather than face continued aggression from me (especially when they're holding a better hand or one with proper odds to continue against me), and I absolutely don't want them to have any idea what I'm holding on any given hand. A play like this, if it goes to showdown &amp; especially if I win it at showdown, is going to go a long way towards achieving those goals for me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mr_Donktastic 09-07-2006 10:35 PM

So raising got you a free turn card AND BB stayed in anyway - giving you good pot equity with your FD. This is great demo of why to always take the more aggressive line in close situations.

Now with 2 opps you gotta take your free river. But if you got heads up with MP2 I would fire again on the turn - give yourself 2 ways to win. But if you got heads up with BB I would say probably just check since he doesn't seem like the folding type.

mjkidd 09-07-2006 10:48 PM

I assume there was a four bet cap preflop? If not, make sure to put a fifth bet in. Make sure you get all the value possible out of your hand preflop.

Xhad 09-07-2006 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You always cold call 2 or re-raise in CO with 24s? Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...heh. I just looked back at the OP and realized that I had assumed that hero had posted a CO blind because that's the only circumstance where I'd play this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I'd actually need 89s here generally.

nelly99 09-07-2006 11:18 PM

This is a huge leak in my game that I am currently trying to fix. I know I am better than 90% of the people I play against, but I always seem to be a slight winner, bc I do things like this. I try to out play the 1 or 2 good players at the tables with very poor hands which leads me to playing even poorer post flop, when in reality I should be trying to stay away from them, with marginal hands let alone 42s, and exploit my much bigger advantage over the weaker players.

This isnt even a steal attempt for villan so that adds more strength to his hand than if he was on the button.

ok a side from that rant, the flop is an easy call, you want to keep BB in and you have very little or no fold equity.

KurtSF 09-07-2006 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (9.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero...?

To make things a bit more interesting, because I think this decision is pretty obvious, does your action change if BB had folded the flop? Or if somehow BB had called 2 &amp; MP2 then folded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

I agree AA and KK are raising here to find out where they are before the price goes up. Making him on JJ, TT, AK, AQs, or QQ. Or some junk.

BB calling again makes me afraid, not only of a monster but of a better flush draw.

Checking and taking the free card would seem to be the right play.

My gut still says bet, though. A c/r almost certainly means trips, cuz I don't see anyone in this pot with 86. A call makes a draw by BB likely. JT? A9? I'm a little concerned about being caught in a pickle here... if you miss MP calls down and wins, if you hit BB made a bigger flush. A check telegraphs your draw though, something I don't want to do.

What kind of folds might make a bet worthwhile? I dunno if its there. Screw it. BET!

JJH3984 09-08-2006 12:01 AM

Okay we got the BB to come along too, which is probably good. Obviously we are checking now against two people. Against either MP2 or BB only the decision is a bit closer, especially against MP2 but I'm probably still checking. I hate getting checkraised in this spot, we don't have the best hand, I wonder what hand MP2 is folding heads up that he wouldn't have folded on the turn, besides AK? Why does a thinking player call the flop with JJ or TT then fold the turn? Anyway Easy check against two players.

Edit: Betting is spew. No fold Equity; no showdown potential.

TripleH68 09-08-2006 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how often do we see a post about playing 42s in a big pot? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you didn't play this hand while reading about my misadventures with 32o! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I have been known to play hands this way and river flushes.
On the other side I have been in the position of your opponent in this hand and seeing you table 42s will have me watching out for you.

Mr_Donktastic 09-08-2006 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what hand MP2 is folding heads up that he wouldn't have folded on the turn, besides AK? Why does a thinking player call the flop with JJ or TT then fold the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 9BB pot wouldn't it be worth it to throw a bet out there just on the off chance that he MP2 does have AK, or made a bad flop call with JJ or TT?

KurtSF 09-08-2006 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In a 9BB pot wouldn't it be worth it to throw a bet out there just on the off chance that he MP2 does have AK, or made a bad flop call with JJ or TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. JJ and TT would be OK to fold here to a bet. Can AK call thinking they have 6 outs? Its possible, but its a pretty loose call here considering how often you're dominated (and with and potential backdoor straight and flush draws gone).

I'm glad at least one other person is thinking bet.

TheHip41 09-08-2006 04:09 PM

PF.

I'm too much of a bot to do this. I don't float, I don't 3bet with trash, I just fold. But you know how to play poker, so lets not dwell on that.

This guy opens, you 3bet, some fish calls, TAG caps.

His capping range, probably 99-AA, AK, AKs, AQs, AQo

He bets the flop, if you raise, here's what will happen.

If the BB folds, this guy will take a SD line with you.

If the BB calls, you have 0 fold equity vs. 2 players.

He might 3bet.

Given you did raise, and got called in two spot, you really need to check the turn.

I don't think you are winning this very often with a turn bet.

Please river a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Mr_Donktastic 09-08-2006 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. JJ and TT would be OK to fold here to a bet. Can AK call thinking they have 6 outs? Its possible, but its a pretty loose call here considering how often you're dominated (and with and potential backdoor straight and flush draws gone).

I'm glad at least one other person is thinking bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify I'm only thinking bet if hero got heads up with MP2, otherwise I say take the free card you worked so hard for!

Harv72b 09-08-2006 07:22 PM

Yeah, I thought checking through the turn was pretty obvious in this situation, which is what I did. The river made things interesting:

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (9.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero....?

We're obviously not folding, so do we call or raise?

Harv72b 09-08-2006 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isnt even a steal attempt for villan so that adds more strength to his hand than if he was on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a seven-handed game, a good TAG is going to be raising with a lot of very borderline hands from MP2 (which is the hijack in this hand). Understand, I'm not 3-betting in an effort to "outplay" him postflop...I'm 3-betting because I expect that a good portion of the time I'm going to get heads up with him, and he's going to call the 3-bet &amp; check/fold the flop. And of course, I am very rarely trying a play like this.

alul 09-08-2006 07:55 PM

I don't see neither of them being on a flush draw and you probably won the hand. But I still think, calling is better.
If you raise, BB probably folds and MP2 probably folds too. By calling you may have an overcall from BB and show your cards to everybody at the table.

Mr_Donktastic 09-08-2006 08:33 PM

Raise because BB is obviously an idiot and might call 2 cold with _______. If he has a higher flush so be it. Just calling is silly...YOU HIT YOUR FLUSH!!!111!11111!