Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Comment on this statement... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=198607)

canada_dry 08-28-2006 08:05 PM

Comment on this statement...

"If play deteriorates to the point where everyone stays in with anything all the way to the end then everyone will break even." From pokercheckraise.com

To make this statement appropriate for MHSH, think of your over-aggro limit 6max games where the button steals, the SB resteals, the BB caps. All three have junkish hands.

Hobbs. 08-28-2006 08:22 PM

Re: Comment on this statement...

umm, then people will adjust and stop staying in with everything. ebb flow

baronzeus 08-28-2006 08:29 PM

thats the most obvious statement ever. its like telling the table "alright everyone lets go all in next hand and flip em" and then dealing out all the cards. each person has equal pot ev.

baronzeus 08-28-2006 08:29 PM

also your statement has nothing to do with the pokercheckraise.com statement.....

Rubeskies 08-28-2006 09:36 PM

Won't everyone slowly go broke due to rake?

mmcd 08-28-2006 10:35 PM

I don't think this is necessarily the case. Some will be more adept than others at creating larger pots when they have big hands.

The Bryce 08-29-2006 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"If play deteriorates to the point where everyone stays in with anything all the way to the end then everyone will break even." From pokercheckraise.com

To make this statement appropriate for MHSH, think of your over-aggro limit 6max games where the button steals, the SB resteals, the BB caps. All three have junkish hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

"If play deteriorates to the point where everyone folds every hand pre-flop then everyone will break even."

Why raise with pocket aces? You might be a 6:1 favorite against a random hand, which I guess is kind of profitable, but raising seems to be a pretty high variance play. If you fold you lose nothing. Seems like a safe bet to me.

To make this statement appropriate for canada_dry, think of the edges you sacrifice in limit 6max games with weak-tight button steals and under-defending your blinds. Realize that these plays do not make your overall swings smaller, but larger, since you have sacrificed some of your total expectation in order to marginalize your swings / 100 hands.

wackjob 08-29-2006 02:20 AM

this question is retarded, as is my response.

Nietzsche 08-29-2006 03:42 AM

This thread belongs in the Beginners forum.

canada_dry 08-29-2006 11:39 AM

Nice responses. I thought maybe some intellegent discussion could come from this thread. I was wrong.

Hoi Polloi 08-29-2006 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"If play deteriorates to the point where everyone stays in with anything all the way to the end then everyone will break even."

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming no one adjusts (play really has deteriorated) and the game is played by infinite monkeys, everyone goes broke due to rake. As a short-term proposition, the luck box cleans up.

I love these games but only because I can adjust. I would never consider staking an infinite monkey.

Justin A 08-29-2006 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice responses. I thought maybe some intellegent discussion could come from this thread. I was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try posting in small stakes short handed. The type of discussion you're looking for is too basic for this forum.

danzasmack 08-29-2006 02:40 PM

the statement makes no sense, it's the complete oppositte of an equlibrium, and therefore, should never happen

I don't think any good discussion could come from it at all as it is false

Edit: so, the statement, "if play increased to expert level for all players (each player was playing with perfect information i guess) then everyone would break even" would be the true one.

But that is not possible as well

baronzeus 08-29-2006 02:58 PM

Your problem is that you don't like aggression. Do a long term experiment. Play 150,000 hands and get back to us on your findings. The rest of us have great, working play strategies, which are the same strategies used by pros around the world. Until our strategy is proven less effective, we won't consider risking our insanely high earn by changing to something that seems dumb on the surface.

The Bryce 08-29-2006 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Until our strategy is proven less effective, we won't consider risking our insanely high earn by changing to something that seems dumb on the surface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he could just appeal to mathematics and save him self half a year of frustration.

Guy McSucker 08-29-2006 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If play deteriorates to the point where everyone stays in with anything all the way to the end then everyone will break even."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nonsense, isn't it?

Imagine a game where all your opponents are calling all bets to the end every time. Are you going to break even in this game or are you going to crush it? Remember, you don't have to take every hand to the river, and even if you do, you're allowed to bet and raise your way there when you choose to do so.

Guy.

Nietzsche 08-30-2006 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want intelligent discussion maybe you could expand on it because I don't get the point of this at all. To me "If play deteriorates to the point where everyone stays in with anything all the way to the end then everyone will break even" is in the same camp as "I might as well not raise AK preflop because it is a drawing hand" - not exactly MHSH stuff.

john kane 08-30-2006 08:13 AM

the statement needs some assumptions, but i assume it is that:

you have to stay in till the end.

---

it is obvious that it will depend on how often each street is capped. if you have a few players who are always capping every street then every hand has the same pot size and so it will be breakeven (assuming no rake).

however if this is not the case, and pot size varies, if you are a good player you will be aggressive on your good hands and passive on your bad hands and this will have, albeit a very small, an effect.

hence you can win, but under the conditions above.

kiddo 08-30-2006 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought maybe some intellegent discussion could come from this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets hear.

silencio 08-30-2006 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought maybe some intellegent discussion could come from this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7099849

kiddo 08-30-2006 09:54 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Fiddler 08-30-2006 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You should try posting in small stakes short handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't.

CarpeDiem 08-30-2006 12:06 PM

VNH

veganmav 08-30-2006 03:17 PM

lol state-a-ments

The Bryce 08-30-2006 04:07 PM

Veg, if you bring that [censored] into this forum I will find out where you live and personally kick your dog.

veganmav 08-30-2006 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Veg, if you bring that [censored] into this forum I will find out where you live and personally kick your dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] my dog is getting old and is gonna die soon too.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

How is your 60k coming ?

Bill King 08-30-2006 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the statement makes no sense, it's the complete oppositte of an equlibrium, and therefore, should never happen

I don't think any good discussion could come from it at all as it is false

Edit: so, the statement, "if play increased to expert level for all players (each player was playing with perfect information i guess) then everyone would break even" would be the true one.

But that is not possible as well

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread has officially done it.

i am quitting poker, and playing craps.

because nobody wins in poker in wild games right?

wait a minute........ so my school is actually free? ughhhhh

danzasmack 08-31-2006 09:27 AM

huh?