Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Squeeeeze (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=192605)

Dan Bitel 08-21-2006 03:16 PM

Squeeeeze

Which of any of these 3 do you like? Please give reasons of why you like/dislike: (no reads in all 3)

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $389.33
UTG+1: $205.88
CO: $496.64
Button: $171.55
SB: $210.30
Hero: $207.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $8</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $41</font>

Party Poker
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $378.65
UTG+1: $200
CO: $135.15
Button: $14.80
SB: $300.40
Hero: $248.55

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $7</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $35</font>

Party Poker
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $197.30
UTG+1: $365.24
CO: $320.40
Button: $233
SB: $183.80
Hero: $200

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $9</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $47</font>

carnivalhobo 08-21-2006 03:17 PM

Re: Squeeeeze

no reads, i dont like squeezing UTG raises. the last one i love.

epdaws 08-21-2006 03:18 PM

1. No. With no reads, I'd not get involved with a highly potentially dominated hand against an UTG raiser.

2. Not bad, though I suspect this is neutral to just calling and playing for set value.

3. Absolutely. That's my play very often, and you'll grab that dead money happily.

mosuavea 08-21-2006 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. No. With no reads, I'd not get involved with a highly potentially dominated hand against an UTG raiser.

2. Not bad, though I suspect this is neutral to just calling and playing for set value.

3. Absolutely. That's my play very often, and you'll grab that dead money happily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how I rank them, 3&gt;&gt;&gt;2&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;1

antidan444 08-21-2006 03:19 PM

I agree with carnival. I REALLY hate the second hand because you kill implied odds for a set.

Al_Money 08-21-2006 03:19 PM

In my experiences, squeezing is much more effective when there is only 2 people in the pot, ex. UTG raises, Button calls, We 3bet in the BB.

I just think that in the last 2, especially, it would be better to call and play a multiway pot. Just my opinion.

Edit: Yes, you are getting more dead money in the pot but with these last 2 hands I would rather see a flop.

RIDGE45 08-21-2006 03:20 PM

Hand 1 is the only one I don't like. If called you are in a tough spot if you don't hit the flop hard...

In hand 1 are you CBetting ANY flop?

Hand 2 and 3 are great especially with all the dead money.

the machine 08-21-2006 03:25 PM

Exactly how I rank them, 3&gt;&gt;&gt;2&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;1

Paul Thomson 08-21-2006 03:34 PM

1) Bad. Against 2 early raisers. Plus theirs no such thing as a good flop against a caller. Bad reverse implied odds. Might as well do it, then with any two cards.

2) fine. but calling is proably just as +EV.

3) sexy.

epdaws 08-21-2006 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Bad. Against 2 early raisers. Plus theirs no such thing as a good flop against a caller. Bad reverse implied odds. Might as well do it, then with any two cards.

2) fine. but calling is proably just as +EV.

3) sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

DB,

I pwned this thread, obv.

Please come up with hands that are not so standard kthx.

SamuraiDuck 08-21-2006 03:39 PM

Hi guys, I'm sorry to detract from the strategy discussion, but please help a newbie out. I am aware of what the squeeze play is (when a player in early position raises and is cold called, and then you 3bet in late position), but I don't understand why this play is supposed to work? I understand that the initial raiser is often forced to muck his hand since he is going to be OOP against a cold caller and a re-raiser who have both shown a lot of PF strenth, but I don't understand why the cold caller is supposed to throw away his hand?

Al_Money 08-21-2006 03:39 PM

epdaws and others,

How often are you reraising vs. calling in hands 2 and 3? These are pretty much always calls for me.

epdaws 08-21-2006 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, I'm sorry to detract from the strategy discussion, but please help a newbie out. I am aware of what the squeeze play is (when a player in early position raises and is cold called, and then you 3bet in late position), but I don't understand why this play is supposed to work? I understand that the initial raiser is often forced to muck his hand since he is going to be OOP against a cold caller and a re-raiser who have both shown a lot of PF strenth, but I don't understand why the cold caller is supposed to throw away his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinds of hands is a cold caller calling with that can stand a pot-sized raise? Or, to phrase it differently, what kinds of hands is a player usually cold-calling a PF raise with instead of re-raising himself?

Al_Money 08-21-2006 03:41 PM

The assumption is that the PF raiser will be afraid of not only your hand but also the coldcallers so the initial raiser will hopefully fold, then the coldcaller usually wont be too strong since he just called the raise and did not 3 bet himself.

the machine 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

im calling in both because im a nit but i like raising because of the doors it can open for you. raising with 67s is so sweet because your hand is so disguised esp when you flop something like a 6 7. raising a hand like this has to be complete opponenet dependent though

Jamougha 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

TBH, unless I have some kind of an idea how my opponents play I very rarely make 'moves' preflop. Too often it's just spewing. So, with no reads I would say I dislike all of them.

Given the right reads/image/flow I might make any of these plays I guess.

epdaws 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
epdaws and others,

How often are you reraising vs. calling in hands 2 and 3. These are pretty much always calls for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 call 80%, though this will likely rise as I continue to move up in levels.

Hand 3: Raise 65%, call 35% or so.

bilbo-san 08-21-2006 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
epdaws and others,

How often are you reraising vs. calling in hands 2 and 3? These are pretty much always calls for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wider the raiser's range, the more often I re-raise. Your hand is too good to play for set value alone vs. a wide range, but you won't like playing 99 OOP on most flops unless you have some initiative.

Dan Bitel 08-21-2006 03:45 PM

all,

is hand 1 a fold then?

antidan444 08-21-2006 03:45 PM

I can play 99 OOP in a four-way raised pot postflop pretty easily most of the time ... if I don't have a set I'm done.

the machine 08-21-2006 03:45 PM

yes. how comfortable are you if you flop a bare ace or jack, regradless of what you have been representing

74o_Clownsuit 08-21-2006 03:51 PM

I hate being dominated or killing my odds for a set, so yea what they said. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gimmetheloot 08-21-2006 03:53 PM

1 no, 2 is ok, i call and try to flop a set though, 3 is sexy. I love squeezing. [censored] is fun.

SamuraiDuck 08-21-2006 04:01 PM

Well I guess the answer would have to be speculative hands such as low pocket pairs and SC's? So when you're squeezing I suppose you have to pick your spots carefully, because lots of nits just cold call with JJ,TT,AK and AQ, right?

orange 08-21-2006 04:05 PM

Hand 1 I prefer fold &gt; raise &gt; call. This hand is the one I most dislike.

Hand 2 is whatever. I think flopping a set multiway is fine, and I also think that taking it down PF or on the flop is fine too.

Hand 3 is okay. I pull the same move frequently.

Paul Thomson 08-21-2006 04:05 PM

1 is an easy fold.

bilbo-san 08-21-2006 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can play 99 OOP in a four-way raised pot postflop pretty easily most of the time ... if I don't have a set I'm done.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the first raiser has a wide range, you are effectively playing the best hand preflop for set value.

Sure it's probably +EV, but raising is higher EV.

Paul Thomson 08-21-2006 04:07 PM

The only problem with hand 1 is if the UTG calls and then everyone else decides they have implied odds and come along for the ride. But I still think there's a good chance you take it down there.

Nikademus 08-21-2006 04:10 PM

I'm used to 10-handed, but I'll give them a go.

1) fold. out of position with a dominated hand and UTG has you out-stacked.
2) pretty much my standard play, although you can consider calling here.
3) I'd likely call here and hope for a monster. This play isn't in my game, though I'm thinking it should be.

ajmargarine 08-21-2006 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experiences, squeezing is much more effective when there is only 2 people in the pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

ajmargarine 08-21-2006 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all,

is hand 1 a fold then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

antidan444 08-21-2006 04:12 PM

bilbo-san and others,

Here's the problem I have with the second hand: The risk-reward ratio just seems too high. We've got three people in the hand, and we have a good but not great hand that is going to be hard to play postflop if we miss. Sure, squeezing here may take it down right now, and a flop c-bet may take it down, too. But we're risking an awful lot to find out, especially at these stakes, where people love to call. I feel more often than not we're just slamming ourselves into a brick wall, with no need, when we also have the option of calling and trying to spike a 9.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before.

bilbo-san 08-21-2006 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm used to 10-handed, but I'll give them a go.

1) fold. out of position with a dominated hand and UTG has you out-stacked.
2) pretty much my standard play, although you can consider calling here.
3) I'd likely call here and hope for a monster. This play isn't in my game, though I'm thinking it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, ya, 10 handed AJo is poison. Hell, AQo is poison vs. 10-handed UTG raisers.

The problem with 3) is that you don't flop a monster often enough (and what's a "monster")?

You'll flop draws, but it's really hard to extract on draws OOP.

And some flops that you might consider monsters are in fact, very obvious to the other players (77x, 66x), and you aren't likely to get much action.

And some flops that look monstrous are in fact very high-variance flops where someone else may have flopped a big draw (76A).

Now, if you raise and are called, there is practically no way that the caller is going to ever think you hit the 77x flop, or have a 7 with a better kicker.

bilbo-san 08-21-2006 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bilbo-san and others,

Here's the problem I have with the second hand: The risk-reward ratio just seems too high. We've got three people in the hand, and we have a good but not great hand that is going to be hard to play postflop if we miss. Sure, squeezing here may take it down right now, and a flop c-bet may take it down, too. But we're risking an awful lot to find out, especially at these stakes, where people love to call. I feel more often than not we're just slamming ourselves into a brick wall, with no need, when we also have the option of calling and trying to spike a 9.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is 99 hard to play when you miss? If you get called, you bet just about any flop. If you are called, you give up unless you hit a 9. If you get called by 2 or 3 people, fuhgetaboudit and c/f anything but a 9.

It's very easy to play. The sum of the probabilities of taking it down now + taking it down with a CB are more profitable than calling for set value.

The exception is if you are playing with some 55/10/2 types. Then, I'm nut-pedalling 99. But this discussion isn't geared towards that type of table texture (I hope).

Nikademus 08-21-2006 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with 3) is that you don't flop a monster often enough (and what's a "monster")?

You'll flop draws, but it's really hard to extract on draws OOP.

And some flops that you might consider monsters are in fact, very obvious to the other players (77x, 66x), and you aren't likely to get much action.

And some flops that look monstrous are in fact very high-variance flops where someone else may have flopped a big draw (76A).

Now, if you raise and are called, there is practically no way that the caller is going to ever think you hit the 77x flop, or have a 7 with a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've realized I'm not playing this situation correctly. I'm putting myself into situations where, if I were to win, I won't win much.

antidan444 08-21-2006 04:22 PM

I just feel you get called down too often to make this more profitable than simply playing for set value at these stakes. I understand how you'd play it if you choose to squeeze, I just don't like the risk-reward ratio compared to just calling preflop.

Dan Bitel 08-21-2006 04:24 PM

antidan,

my biggest problem with playing for set value is that you'll rarely stack any1 if you hit, unless you get very lucky and the PFR has AA/KK. IME, in multiway pots, people play very straightforward and even a bit cautious

antidan444 08-21-2006 04:26 PM

When I hit a set in a four-way pot at 50NL or 100NL, I get paid off plenty.

bilbo-san 08-21-2006 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just feel you get called down too often to make this more profitable than simply playing for set value at these stakes. I understand how you'd play it if you choose to squeeze, I just don't like the risk-reward ratio compared to just calling preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What *worse* hands call down at these stakes (and if they did, why would that be bad)?

Villains will obviously call the flop if they out-flop you, but that isn't the point.

If your point is that UTG always has a better hand preflop then we aren't talking about the same thing when I say "wide raising range". If you think that Villains always outflop you, then we have different understandings of probability. If you think that Villains always call the flop with unimproved overcards in RE-raised pots then we are talking about different types of Villains, and I agree that we shouldn't be re-popping 99 against them.

terp 08-21-2006 04:44 PM

hand 1 works if UTG raiser is pretty LAG and you're willing to play some poker...but without knowing this i drop it.

others look good.