Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   MFSoaMFP Opening (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=189490)

Badger 08-17-2006 02:45 PM

MFSoaMFP Opening

The day has come that many of you have been waiting months and months for. Snakes on a Plane opens today. This is a good reason to go get drunk after work and see what will either be an awesomely awful movie or an awfully awesome one. http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3716/soapax7.png
Those of you that live in Austin may wonder why I have tickets to a theater that's not the Draft House. Well, my roommate is an idiot, that's why.

Here's some noteworthy links in celebration of Snakes on a Plane. I'm sure most of them have been posted already, but hey, they're fun.
Samuel on the Daily Show
All your snakes are belong to us
Blanks on a Blank Film Contest
Samuel Claiming Victor for SoaP as movie of the year
Samuel calls your friends and threatens them into seeing SoaP
1 minute trailer
30 second teaser trailer

What do you think this movie will open at? Keep in mind recent movies such as You, Me and Dupree and Little Man have opened at over $20 Million and the all time biggest opener was Pirates: Dead Man's chest at like $130+ Million

Georgia Avenue 08-17-2006 02:55 PM

Re: MFSoaMFP Opening

holy crap this starts tonight??? NOOO! I'm gonna misssssssss it.

ThreeMartini 08-17-2006 03:00 PM

I think it will have a huge opening, followed by a dismal second week.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-17-2006 03:13 PM

Are you going to a sneak-preview or something? IMDB and other sites list the 18th as the opening date.

Badger 08-17-2006 03:18 PM

I havn't seen any openings for this movie beofre 10pm. I think that openings used to happen at like 12:05 AM (technically Friday). Maybe this has changed so that the movie screening has to end by the day it opens. Or maybe they just wanted to add time slots that would generate revenue while the buzz is still here.

private joker 08-17-2006 03:22 PM

Boxofficeguru.com -- a guy who is generally very accurate -- predicts a $28M opening.

As stated elsewhere, I have a prop bet with a colleague (loser buys lunch for 4 Fridays in a row) that SoaP will make more than 60 million in its entire domestic theatrical run. If it opens north of 25 mil, I should win the bet easily.

guids 08-17-2006 03:29 PM

Opening
3 day wkd box office for
Snakes on a Plane
09:00 AM
103 Over 27 million +101
104 Under 27 million -117

theres the odds.

Emmitt2222 08-17-2006 03:30 PM

editorial on SoaP

An interesting read on how this guy thinks that this whole "the internet nerds create their own movie" could be potentially harmful in the future. I think its dumb though because for the most part because there are a ton of bad movies coming out of Hollywood that people don't want to see. Give the people what they want if there is a high enough demand, I say. Also the guy is very condescending towards internet nerds such as myself.

Phoenix1010 08-17-2006 03:30 PM

I'm so stoked.

JasonK 08-17-2006 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to a sneak-preview or something? IMDB and other sites list the 18th as the opening date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I swear when Samuel L. Jackson called my friends and family he said the 18th.

junkmail3 08-17-2006 03:34 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about the simple life season finale. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

CrazyEyez 08-17-2006 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this thread was going to be about the simple life season finale. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
nice

Badger 08-17-2006 07:09 PM

Has anyone heard about the Illusionist with Edward Norton? That appears to be the most competition that Snakes will have? I hadn't heard anything about this movie until I saw it in a preview before Little Miss Sunshine (I never see two movies in a week, but SoaP is worth the second trip) I thought to myself- I hope that comes out soon. I don't think the preview even mentioned it's coming out in 3 days.
Snakes #1 for the weekend!

Emmitt2222 08-18-2006 12:39 AM

Just got back from this.

**Spoilerish**

Although it wasn't perfect I was so happy with this movie. Maybe in some ways it couldn't fail. During parts that were really bad I laughed and during parts that were really good I laughed.

The opening I think set it up perfectly though because you can tell from the opening title that they are not taking themselves seriously with this movie which is very important. Another vital part I thought was the audience which everyone may not be so fortunate to have, but you could tell these were the hardcore internet fans. It wasn't a huge audience, but they got noisy at the right times. During the really gruesome bites the crowd would go crazy and of course when Jackson busted out the MF snakes line the crowd went nuts for a good minute.

I really loved it when people would yell stuff at the perfect time. Noone ruined the movie by yelling a lot, but a few well placed yells were awesome. When Jackson asked "Who is going to fly this plane" someone in front of me goes SAMUEL L JACKSON! Then a few moments later when Kenan steps up to fly someone else goes KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENAN. Maybe you had to be there, but it was awesome.

Jackson had some great looks and some of my favorite moments were
"Us people?"
and
"gunna go down faster than a Thai hooker"

Really this was an awesome experience although after opening night and the rabid crowds I'm not sure it quite match tonight. Even after all the hype it was worth it. Thanks Snakes on a Plane and Samuel L Jackson for one awesome night.

bigt2k4 08-18-2006 12:44 AM

is this a good move for me to bring a girl on a date to? Cause that is what I'm doing tomorrow

4 High 08-18-2006 01:00 AM

BEST MOVIE EXPERIENCE EVER!

Theatre was bonkers. People were chanting "SNAKES...SNAKES...SNAKES" during and between every single trailer. The place erupted when we finally got to the movie. People were throwing HUNDREDS of fake snakes around the theater. Every time anything happened a loud HISSSSSSS overtook the theater. The crowd went [censored] insane whenever Sam Jack did ANYTHING. People were wilding the [censored] out. When he finally uttered the line every person in the theater got up and gave him a standing O. Ive never seen anything like it.

The music video during the trailer sealed the deal too, i need to dl that [censored] ASAP.

Bottom line, people love Sam Jack, Planes and Snakes so combining them=gold. This [censored] is gunna make tons of money. I dont know if it was sold out, but the theater held about 460 and there was maybe 10-20 empty seats tops. Best movie night in a while

Snakes On A Plane - **** Out of **** (On a different scale then any other movie.)

4 High 08-18-2006 01:02 AM

As for the opening, between 20-40 mil, id go with 30 if i had to guess right.

hmohnphd 08-18-2006 01:27 AM

Wow. This movie rocked. Dave Koechner definately stole the show.

I was pretty surprised at the turnout where I saw it, only like 10 people in a pretty large theater.

Jdanz 08-18-2006 01:29 AM

Saw it, it was awesome.

No one who doesn't see it opening night will ever understand.

edit: Me and my friends tailgated in the parking lot playing frisbee, grilling, and drinking beers.

4 High 08-18-2006 01:29 AM

I assume this will do extremely well in areas with high internet access, and not so hot in areas of lower Access.

jaxUp 08-18-2006 01:29 AM

"Oh great. Snakes on crack!!"

Badger 08-18-2006 01:30 AM

GO SEE THIS MOVIE THIS WEEKEND WHILE THE CROWDS ARE AWESOME.

-That's good news... snakes on crack!

deacsoft 08-18-2006 01:31 AM

*********Possible spoilers*********************
I also just got back from seeing it. My experience was much like what Emmitt2222 posted. One look around a very decent crowd and you could tell how the experience was going to be. The whole theater had fun with it but no one was to the extent of over doing it. I laughed a couple times til my eyes watered. "get this [censored] snake off my dick"... priceless.

The movie was actually a loy better than I though it would be. It was cheesy in all the right places. The CGI snakes were horrible but somehow you could hardly pay attention to that. I called for some full frontal nudity in the movie during my pre SOAP party and was wasn't entirely disappointed. The a decent looking chick with bis ass boobies that shows them off. Then she gets smoked in the nipple by a snake. LMAO!

The dialogue was realy good. Some good 1-liners and some well timed funny stuff that kept you watching with a smile just long enough to get some snakes on screen. It had a decent amount of suspense and at one point I jumped out of my seat. My nerves are pretty good too. It's been a while since I jumped during a movie and I had to have gotten at least 4 inches out of my seat. And lets not forget the acting. Well... lets just forget about that.

Mr. Jackson put on a good show and the movie managed to keep me entertained the whole time. That's move that I can say about a few other movies I saw in the theater. My final say is that if you're lucky enough to see it with a crowd willing have some fun with it you'll surely have a good time. Go see it. (That is if you're caught up in the hoopla about it.)

***disclaimer- Pre SOAP party involved intoxicants that may have altered the perception of this film.

Badger 08-18-2006 01:32 AM

The part where Samuel delivers the titular line alone was worth the $8 for the crowd experience.

Badger 08-18-2006 01:33 AM

The beginning of the movie was great. The crowd was pretty rowdy through the previews. A lot of good one liners from the crowd. Once teh movie started there were about 5 people in the theater that thought they paid to enjoy a movie in peace and quiet. Their calls for people to shut the hell up lasted about 3 minutes until the realized they were the minority. Overall great experience. Again, go see it this weekend while the crowds are into it. Drinking a lot of beer bofore hand definitely helped a lot too.

ridonkulous 08-18-2006 02:16 AM

Some sweet reviews are popping up.

This is from the Detroit News

[ QUOTE ]
After all the hype preceding this film, you'd think there might be some letdown, but there's not. "Snakes on a Plane" is every bit as ridiculous, violent, slithery, clichid and dumb-bunny brilliant as you imagined it might be. Anyone who says it bites just isn't getting the joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Article *Some Spoilers

dicelumpY2005 08-18-2006 02:48 AM

I can really say, without 1 bit of sarcasm, that SoaP was probably the most fun I've had in a movie theater in a very long time...

durkahdurkah 08-18-2006 09:46 AM

Amazing, simply amazing experience. Definitely a "crowd" movie, could possibly attain Rocky Horror Picture Show cult status (or maybe not).

Out of curiosity, did anyone else find the fact that they had a HUGE [censored] snake eating the British dude unbelievably funny? I couldn't stop laughing for like 2 or 3 minutes after that

Chump Change 08-18-2006 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazing, simply amazing experience. Definitely a "crowd" movie, could possibly attain Rocky Horror Picture Show cult status (or maybe not).

Out of curiosity, did anyone else find the fact that they had a HUGE [censored] snake eating the British dude unbelievably funny? I couldn't stop laughing for like 2 or 3 minutes after that

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I just aske this in the other thread, about the 'rocky horror' cult following.

marchron 08-18-2006 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it. Everyone in the theater shouted Sam's signature line, in unison, then whooped wildly for a solid minute.

NotMitch 08-18-2006 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opening
3 day wkd box office for
Snakes on a Plane
103 Over 27 million +101

theres the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I bet the over.

Badger 08-18-2006 03:11 PM

Any idea what it's on pace for? Has anyone seen any numbers?

4 High 08-18-2006 08:09 PM

A few sites ive seen are projecting at 25 Mil.

TheNoodleMan 08-19-2006 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can really say, without 1 bit of sarcasm, that SoaP was probably the most fun I've had in a movie theater in a very long time...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I went with a group of about 15 people (we all had drinks before) and we all enjoyed it. If you are into this type of thing, go see it now when the crowds are into it.

NotMitch 08-20-2006 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Opening
3 day wkd box office for
Snakes on a Plane
103 Over 27 million +101

theres the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I bet the over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read it did like $15M, glad I didnt bet.

Badger 08-20-2006 11:04 PM

I heard the same. Can't believe more people paid to see Little Man

Dynasty 08-23-2006 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Opening
3 day wkd box office for
Snakes on a Plane
103 Over 27 million +101

theres the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I bet the over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read it did like $15M, glad I didnt bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snakes on a Plane did much worse than I thought it wouuld. I expected this film to be a hit. For the film to make just $15.2M on opening weekend is weak considering all the hype it got.

1. Snakes on a Plane (2006) $15.2M
2. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) $13.8M
3. World Trade Center (2006) $10.9M
4. Step Up (2006) $10.2M
5. Accepted (2006) $10M

4 High 08-23-2006 09:44 AM

Yea Mojo compared it too Anacondas 2.

Badger 08-23-2006 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea Mojo compared it too Anacondas 2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it makes sense. Isn't the snake in that movie huge? About the size of all the snakes in SoaP? The sequel will undoubtedly contain more huger snakes, making it a bigger hit.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 08-28-2006 11:20 AM

This movie was pretty disappointing.

Samuel Jackson had two lines in the entire movie where he raised his voice. As far as I can tell, he used one curse word for the entire movie. I was stunned.

At first, I thought they were making the first hour of the movie bad on purpose, and then after Jackson let out that line, I thought "Ok. Now they are going to make it awesome."
Then it just ended.

But it does go to show you the power of the internet nerd community.