Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   dan bright (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=188040)

Mat Sklansky 08-16-2006 01:26 AM

dan bright

two of his posts from today were moved here. i banned him for 14 days after the first and bigjim unbanned him. anybody know why he was unbanned?

Mat Sklansky 08-16-2006 01:51 AM

Re: dan bright

I just deleted his alternate account. I want this to be the standard for everyone circumventing bannings. I can understand the creation of new accounts used solely to send pms questioning a ban, but to simply start up anew is unacceptable even if the ban/ suspension turns out to be unwarranted.

SamIAm 08-16-2006 02:24 AM

[censored] announced that, after screwing-up in OOT, one could either leave OOT (banished) or start over (banned). Doesn't the above clash with that idea?
-Sam

P.S. Correct me if I've misunderstood The Way of the [censored].

Mat Sklansky 08-16-2006 05:02 AM

starting over in a way that is anonymous after being permanently banned is different than trying to continue uninterrupted after a suspension with an account that is easily identifiable as was the case here.

[censored] 08-16-2006 05:53 AM

Yes my policy has always been a clean slate should be just that.

If they come back and start bitching or do something like name the new account johnnyfuckhead #2 then I ban them again

SamIAm 08-16-2006 11:37 AM

Cool. Thanks for the clarification; that makes sense.
-Sam

Big_Jim 08-17-2006 03:15 AM

Mat,

Sorry for unbanning Dan without asking.

May I inquire as to the specific reasoning behind the ban?

Dan has always been a good contributor to the strategy forums (particularly MSNL).

EDIT: Just saw the posts in here. Do these posts really warrant a permaban?

Dids 08-17-2006 11:00 AM

Jim,

Outside of MSNL Dan's pretty much been a consta troll. Alone, those posts aren't that bad, given that he's been suspended like 3 times for similar stuff, I think they're a good enough reason to nuke him.

Mat Sklansky 08-17-2006 11:44 AM

As dids points out, he has a history which was where my 2 weeks came from. When he went on as if nothing happened with his alternate account i went the whole way.

All that said, my question is how valuable of a strategy poster is he? If he will be missed by our users, he can be offered another chance, but it would be his last. Said chance would begin next week if warranted.

bobbyi 08-17-2006 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All that said, my question is how valuable of a strategy poster is he?

[/ QUOTE ]
He is a good strategy poster.

SamIAm 08-17-2006 11:44 PM

Can he be banned from <everything but poker>?
-Sam

Mat Sklansky 08-17-2006 11:53 PM

i told jim to speak with him and then unban him next wednesday. if we ever do go to different software a function to block people from individual forums would be nice. Has anyone seen this function elsewhere?

Ryan Beal 08-18-2006 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if we ever do go to different software a function to block people from individual forums would be nice. Has anyone seen this function elsewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

vBulletin

Jurollo 08-18-2006 01:14 AM

This site has a nice run down of message board software. PHPbb is a good one.
~Justin

Ryan Beal 08-18-2006 01:32 AM

phpBB is pretty good too, and I'm fairly sure it has a similar feature.

*TT* 08-18-2006 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
phpBB is pretty good too, and I'm fairly sure it has a similar feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

phpBB unfortunately is crash prone from what I recall (I run a small phpBBB forum for my websites suport system) and it doesn't translate well to a large community. UBB Threads 7.0 is in beta now, its looking very good and includes an top level interface that seems reminiscent of other php CMS applications while maintaining the core forum level interface. Invision is really the only other commonly used forum that is an option.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Ryan Beal 08-18-2006 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
phpBB unfortunately is crash prone from what I recall (I run a small phpBBB forum for my websites suport system) and it doesn't translate well to a large community.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that, but I've also heard that it has improved quite a bit recently. Regardless, phpBB didn't support threaded mode without a mod the last time I looked into it.

I prefer vBulletin anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
UBB Threads 7.0 is in beta now

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I don't have much faith in UBB devs at this point. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dids 08-18-2006 10:55 AM

phpBB is probalby the most popular, that also means there's the most hacks and knowledge of how to [censored] it up out there. I'd feel like to run it we'd need more support from our tech guys that it seems like we'd get.

andyfox 08-18-2006 01:15 PM

How you can give somebody another chance with the two posts you moved here is a mystery to me. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't care if he's Doyle Brunson and John von Neumann rolled into one. This is the kind of person we want as part of the 2+2 community?

*TT* 08-18-2006 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How you can give somebody another chance with the two posts you moved here is a mystery to me. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't care if he's Doyle Brunson and John von Neumann rolled into one. This is the kind of person we want as part of the 2+2 community?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind Andy when there is a will there is a way, he will most likely return to the 2+2 community in one form or another, hopefully with a cleaned up act of course. Since that is an inevitable I think its best to try to reason with Dan first, discuss with him why he is closely being watched.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Dids 08-18-2006 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

The fact is that posts like that exist all over this board. The culture and tone has changed. I'm not really happy about this, but I think that's reality. I think what he did is out of line, but those two posts alone aren't really a banning imo, it's more his steadfast refusal to grow up.

FWIW I don't agree with unbanning him just 'cause he's a good strat poster (nor do I agree with KKF still being around). It makes it very hard to set tone when people can act like twits and still come back.

The sad part is that it's just too hard to lock down the forums to keep folks like that out- so we have to do the best juggling act we can.

andyfox 08-18-2006 07:01 PM

If the culture and tone have changed, its' because we've allowed it to change. I (of all people) realize how difficult it is to keep these things under control, but there are a ton of moderators and certainly there's nothing borderline about the two posts in question--they're clearly unacceptable and a person who posts them shouldn't be welcome at 2+2. Since you talk about his steadfast refusal to grow up, I assume there have been other incidents.

I suppose I'm in favor of a two strikes and you're out policy. I know it's a juggling act, but we can surely catch a lot of balls, even if we drop a few.

andyfox 08-18-2006 07:04 PM

I'm all for discussion, I would always try to reason with offenders before taking action. But there should be a line beyond which no more discussion should take place. Reasonable people can disagree where that is, but it seems to me the two posts moved here are clearly over the line.

Mat Sklansky 08-18-2006 10:20 PM

good strategy posters are the entire reason this site is here. I'm the one who suspended dan, so it's not that i condone his "darker side", but a good strategy poster who occasionally goes too far with their posts will be given more leeway. this doesn't mean such posters get a free pass. and if they can be "bullied" into better behavior, I think the site benefits by offering multiple chances if necessary.

This reminds of something else. If anyone ever strongly disagrees with my position, at any point, you should feel free to address Mason. I won't be offended.

Big_Jim 08-19-2006 12:37 AM

Mat,

I think that Dan is a very valuable poster. He has contributed a great deal to MSNL in particular, although I am mostly unaware of his posting history with other forums.

I have talked with him about toning it down with the joke posts, and he has agreed.

Thanks.

andyfox 08-19-2006 10:57 AM

Gambling strategy should indeed be the primary consideration. However, Mason himself booted Abdul from the forums. So while I understand us wanting to retain the better strategy posters, again it's a question of how far and how often a poster is allowed to go over the line of acceptability before he's worn out his welcome.

That said, glad to hear that the poster in question has been contacted and has agreed to be less provocative in his non-poker posts.