Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Whose cap does Piazza wear in the HOF? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=183232)

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 08:34 AM

Whose cap does Piazza wear in the HOF?

A fairly strong case can be made for both the Dodgers and the Mets, wonder what everyone's thoughts are.

Roberto Alomar? O's, Indians, or Jays?

Maddux? Braves or Cubs?

Benholio 08-10-2006 08:55 AM

Re: Whose cap does Piazza wear in the HOF?

Alomar - Jays
2 World Series rings. More games played there than anywhere else, even though it was only 5 years.

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 08:56 AM

He had his best years in Cleveland, however.

samjjones 08-10-2006 09:25 AM

Piazza - Mets
Alomar - Blue Jays
Maddux - Braves

I think all three deserve to be in, too.

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 09:28 AM

Any Hall of Fame that wouldn't include Alomar is out of touch with reality.

youtalkfunny 08-10-2006 09:31 AM

Bill Simmons suggests that Roger Clemens' cap feature a dollar sign.

I love that.

mmbt0ne 08-10-2006 09:51 AM

I think Piazza, I think LA
I think Alomar, I think Cleveland
I think Maddux, I think Atlanta

JordanIB 08-10-2006 09:53 AM

Piazza Mets.
Alomar Don't Know.

[ QUOTE ]

Maddux? Braves or Cubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] This isn't even close.

Scary_Tiger 08-10-2006 09:54 AM

LA isn't going to get Piazza, he's a lot better known for his years in NY with some good teams.

Alomar is closest, but I'd go with the Jays just since he won a couple titles with them.

Maddux is the Braves and it's not close.

sean c 08-10-2006 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I love that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic and fitting. No self respecting Texan would argue with this. Let him wear his Toronto cap.

Evan 08-10-2006 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I love that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic and fitting. No self respecting Texan would argue with this. Let him wear his Toronto cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll echo that sentiment, as a Yankee fan I don't want him in our cap.

Hopey 08-10-2006 10:30 AM

Maddux goes in as a Brave, of course. Two-thirds of his 318 wins came with the Braves, not to mention the 11 straight trips to the post-season, plus 3 out of 4 of his Cy Youngs.

Alomar is a harder decision. He became a super-star in Toronto and won 2 World Series with them. He also played there longer than he played for any other team. Statistically, his best years were with Cleveland, though...but only marginally so. I think the nod goes to Toronto.

Piazza is a coin-flip between the Mets and Dodgers. He put up better numbers for a longer period with the Dodgers, mostly because he's been in a steady decline since 2003. His first four years with the Mets were as good as anything he did in his 6 years with the Dodgers, though.

cdxx 08-10-2006 10:32 AM

clemens has said that he wants a Yankee cap. he won't get it, but why do you object to that? he had great years in NY.

any haters in Houston are also just being boo-birds. yes, he gets an enourmous paycheck, but isn't he the savior of the Astros? where would they be without him? are you mad that he keeps retiring, or are you mad that he won't play for any less money?

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 10:36 AM

If you were to rank Clemens's seasons in order of greatness, his years at New York would be far down the list.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-10-2006 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

clemens has said that he wants a Yankee cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

when he was a Yankee, right?

cdxx 08-10-2006 10:41 AM

i think that was when he retired the first time, and of course ESPN started the discussion which cap should he wear in 5 years.

cdxx 08-10-2006 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to rank Clemens's seasons in order of greatness, his years at New York would be far down the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, but as a yankee fan, i don't see why i wouldn't want him in a yankee cap.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-10-2006 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c it would be kind of silly. Wins are generally a bad stat, but here are his wins by team before this year:

Red Sox: 192
Yankees: 77
Blue Jays: 41
Astros: 31

samjjones 08-10-2006 10:49 AM

Clemens goes in as a Red Sox, and I can't imagine anybody arguing this.

Evan 08-10-2006 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because his retirement and then un-retirement (is there a better word for this) was disgusting.

He was beloved in New York. In his "last year" they had celebration for him before a game where the team presented him with a bunch of stuff, including a Hummer. He made it clear that he wanted to go into the HOF as a Yankee and that it was very important to him. I'm not sure how much coverage this sort of stuff got outside of New York, but Clemens was treated like a king for that season.

Then he turns around and comes back to play for Houston. I felt like he absolutely betrayed New York and all its fans. I understand that baseball is a business and that he had reasons for going to the Astros, but I felt 100% lied to by someone that acted like he wanted and planned to be a Yankee for the rest of his career.

I don't know what cap he should wear, maybe Boston, but I absolutely do not want him going in as a Yankee.

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 11:02 AM

[censored] Red Sox and Yankees fans hijacking another topic. Shut the [censored] up, I didn't mention CLemens for a reason.

sean c 08-10-2006 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clemens goes in as a Red Sox, and I can't imagine anybody arguing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can argue that his best years were clearly in Boston. My guess is the Boston fans don't have much love for the rocket.

Evan 08-10-2006 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] Red Sox and Yankees fans hijacking another topic. Shut the [censored] up, I didn't mention CLemens for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Piazza should go in as a Met imo, but that is probably partially tained from living in that market and across the country from the Dodgers. His production with both teams was at least comparable, and he became much more of a star with the Mets. He also went to a World Series with them.

Alomar should be a Blue Jay. The two titles are the deciding factor for me.

Maddox isn't even close in my mind. I can't imagine anyone saying he shouldn't go in as a Brave.

Eurotrash 08-10-2006 11:07 AM

can Piazza choose to go in as a Marlin or is there some kind of games-played requirement forbidding that? that would be funny if he could make it happen.

Karak567 08-10-2006 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I THINK CLEMENS SHOULD BE A YANKEE CAUSE THE RED SOX SUCK ZOMG

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 11:11 AM

The player does not decide which cap he wears unless it's a close decision. Piazza might be asked to chose between the Dodgers or the Mets though.

True North 08-10-2006 11:12 AM

Bless the fine folks at Fire Joe Morgan for bringing us Joe's solid stance on the Piazza/HOF cap issue:

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby ( Staten Island, New York): When Mike Piazza gets inducted into the HOF what hat do you think he should wear?

Joe Morgan: What we do as the board at the HoF, we look at what team he had the most success and what team he was most identified with. When it's a close call, we do take into consideration what they want. But they don't get to choose, because some teams have offered to pay players to wear their hat when they go into the HoF.

dak: Huh. Okay, I think I knew that already, but that was pretty informative. NOW WHAT [censored] HAT DO YOU THINK PIAZZA SHOULD WEAR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eurotrash 08-10-2006 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The player does not decide which cap he wears unless it's a close decision. Piazza might be asked to chose between the Dodgers or the Mets though.

[/ QUOTE ]

you so smart, JoA. thanks for the clarification. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

i think he should go in as a Dodger, though, if given the option.

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 11:25 AM

Piazza should go in as a Dodger imo. Without a doubt his best years came as a Dodger and he should've won an MVP at least once in those years (95/96/97).

sean c 08-10-2006 11:28 AM

I vote Mets for Piazza. Five strong years for both clubs plus three average years for the Mets. Piazza never won a play off game as a Dodger and played a few more years for the Mets. More years, more play off wins and strong stats for both clubs pushes it to the Mets for me.

JordanIB 08-10-2006 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, it really wouldn't be close. He would go in as a Met.

JordanIB 08-10-2006 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because his retirement and then un-retirement (is there a better word for this) was disgusting.

He was beloved in New York.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pushing it a bit much. Clemens was never beloved in New York.

Yes, the team may have given him a lot of [censored] and the fans may have given Roger Clemens his props in what was thought to be Roger Clemens' final season, but no, he was not "beloved".

BWebb 08-10-2006 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Piazza - Mets
Alomar - Blue Jays
Maddux - Braves

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what uniforms I see them in when I imagine them playing. That is my determining factor.

Hornacek 08-10-2006 11:34 AM

Some more to consider:

Pudge Rodriguez- Rangers, Marlins, (maybe) Tigers? He had his best years as a Ranger, but he won his title as a Marlin...

Randy Johnson

ARod

Tejada (if he were to make it)

Jack of Arcades 08-10-2006 11:39 AM

Pudge is a Ranger, no doubt.

For A-Rod, it's too early to tell, it depends on other teams he plays for, how his career plays out, etc. If he's hit by a bus tomorrow, he's a Mariner.

Randy Johnson played the most as a Mariner and had his best years as a Mariner. His performance as a DBack was better overall, though, and he won his WS and 4 Cy Youngs in Arizona.

I say he's a D-Back.

Tejada won't make it, but right now he's easily an A.

Evan 08-10-2006 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was beloved in New York.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pushing it a bit much. Clemens was never beloved in New York.

Yes, the team may have given him a lot of [censored] and the fans may have given Roger Clemens his props in what was thought to be Roger Clemens' final season, but no, he was not "beloved".

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The players, managers, fans and even Stienbrener all loved Clemens. He was given a sendoff fit for Mattingly, O'Neill, Bernie or any other beloved Yankee. On the lsat day of the regular season in 2003 he managed in place or Torre.

I obviously cannoy objectively prove that how much people in New York loved him, as you cannot prove how much they did not. I guess this will just have to be a difference of opinion.

Evan 08-10-2006 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pudge is a Ranger, no doubt.

For A-Rod, it's too early to tell, it depends on other teams he plays for, how his career plays out, etc. If he's hit by a bus tomorrow, he's a Mariner.

Randy Johnson played the most as a Mariner and had his best years as a Mariner. His performance as a DBack was better overall, though, and he won his WS and 4 Cy Youngs in Arizona.

I say he's a D-Back.

Tejada won't make it, but right now he's easily an A.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of this. I think A-Rod will end up going in as a Yankee, but obviously that's going to take more time to pan out and it's based on some speculation.

SossMan 08-10-2006 11:51 AM

good thread, btw.

LionelHutz00 08-10-2006 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that it was more like the player gets to choose which cap to wear and then the Hall has veto power. I know that Wade Boggs originally chose to go in as a Devil Ray, and the Hall overruled him and put him in as a Red Sock.

I vote for Piazza to go in as a Dodger because he had his peak seasons there. Piazza is likely to pick the Dodgers because a) He's not ending his career as a Met; b) He has family ties to the Dodgers; c) The Dodgers have a tendency to bring back their old players in their last year of the career (Don Sutton, Orel Hershiser). They'll probably try to do the same for Piazza. Retiring as a Dodger would strengthen his loyalty to the team. Also, I'm a homer.

samjjones 08-10-2006 12:58 PM

Barry Bonds - Giants
Ken Griffey - Mariners
Manny Ramirez - Red Sox
Alex Rodriguez - Rangers (assuming he plays 3-4 more years with Yankees, then Yankees)
Jeff Kent - Giants
Tom Glavine - Braves
Randy Johnson - Mariners
Pedro Martinez - Red Sox