Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Players you like on teams you hate (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=182359)

Jack of Arcades 08-09-2006 07:29 AM

Players you like on teams you hate

Pretty self explanatory topic...

Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
Jake Delhomme (Carolina Panthers)

Who do you like on teams you can't stand?

I imagine Bernie Williams will be high on the list.

wh1t3bread 08-09-2006 07:41 AM

Re: Players you like on teams you hate

Tedy Bruschi (NE Patriots)
Zach Thomas (Miami Dolphins)
Santana Moss (Washington Redskins)
Peter Forsberg (Philadelphia Flyers)
Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams (NY Yankees)

BadBoyBenny 08-09-2006 07:42 AM

Ed Reed & Terrell Suggs

samjjones 08-09-2006 08:07 AM

Derek Jeter
Jonathan Papelbon

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2006 08:11 AM

Jeter

Jack of Arcades 08-09-2006 08:12 AM

wow, Jeter love unexpected. I don't find him particularly likeable, and prefer many Yankees to him, including A-Rod.

Hornacek 08-09-2006 08:21 AM

Derek Jeter
Shaq
Martin Brodeur

Pinchot 08-09-2006 08:21 AM

AJ Hawk when he was at OSU

Wilbix 08-09-2006 08:31 AM

David [censored] Ortiz

Hornacek 08-09-2006 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ Hawk when he was at OSU

[/ QUOTE ]

yuck

Lazy Meatball 08-09-2006 09:06 AM

TO,
but I hated the Eagles whereas I dislike the Cowboys.

Tanyon Sturtze, he's from Worcester

Shea Hillenbrand, not a Giants fan.

youtalkfunny 08-09-2006 09:12 AM

Reggie Jackson

samjjones 08-09-2006 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, Jeter love unexpected. I don't find him particularly likeable, and prefer many Yankees to him, including A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lifelong Mets fan, hate the Yankees and their fans with a burning passion. But it is impossible not to respect Jeter for his accomplishments and the way he plays the game.

Jack of Arcades 08-09-2006 09:16 AM

I don't get what separates Jeter from Bernie, Jorge, and Mo.

Assani Fisher 08-09-2006 09:19 AM

Terrell Owens
Alex Rodriguez
Tiki Barber
Donovan McNabb
Kobe Bryant

Hornacek 08-09-2006 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get what separates Jeter from Bernie, Jorge, and Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe its the air time and the media love, but it works. Jeter has that charisma that I don't really see in Bernie, Jorge, and Mo. Mo reminds me just of a pretty chill workmanlike player. Very efficient, but not very inspirational and emotional imho.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2006 09:35 AM

he just seems like a nice guy. seems like his parents are nice people. plus he says Mr. Torre.

basically, he's not a punk.

I like Bernie too. Mo I don't know well enough to decide (although I probably like him), but Jorge one time wanted to fight Pedro.

actually most of the late 90's Yankees were pretty likable guys. it's easier to hate guys like Kevin Brown, Sheffield, ARod, and [censored] Aaron Boone who was being rooted on by his brother in the booth. still pisses me off.

pudley4 08-09-2006 09:43 AM

Jim Thome
Henry
Tiki

Green Kool Aid 08-09-2006 09:50 AM

great thread, JoA.

NBA: Luol Deng, Varejao (check out his performance against team USA).

NFL: Randle El

MLB: Abreu. First Yankee I have ever liked, even though that's kind of a cheap answer.

Wes Mantooth 08-09-2006 10:01 AM

David Wells (Red Sox)
Jeremy Roenick (was LA Kings now recently signed with Phx Coyotes)

Hornacek 08-09-2006 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David Wells (Red Sox)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah well JR hates you and doesn't want you to come to his games. so there.

JordanIB 08-09-2006 10:05 AM

I honestly can't come up with one.

Cornell Fiji 08-09-2006 10:20 AM

I am a Mets fan and Yankee Hater.

I detest Derek Jeter

I liked:
Paul O'neil
Don Mattingly
David Wells

I have the utmost respect for Joe Torre

Evan 08-09-2006 10:28 AM

Why do all you Mets fans hate the Yankees? I am a lifelong Yankee fan and love baseball more than any other sport, but I definitely do not hate the Mets. In 2000 I was rooting hard for the Mets to make it to the World Series and I will be doing the same this year. Obviously I want to beat them once we're there, but unless they're playing the Yankees I'm either rooting for the Mets or indifferent toward them.

wh1t3bread 08-09-2006 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do all you Mets fans hate the Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the vast majority of Yankees fans do not share your philosophy. Oh...and we are jealous. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm actually rooting for the Yankees this year to make the World Series. I'll either get payback or more fuel for the fire.

junglewarfare 08-09-2006 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do all you Mets fans hate the Yankees? I am a lifelong Yankee fan and love baseball more than any other sport, but I definitely do not hate the Mets. In 2000 I was rooting hard for the Mets to make it to the World Series and I will be doing the same this year. Obviously I want to beat them once we're there, but unless they're playing the Yankees I'm either rooting for the Mets or indifferent toward them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because their team sucks and our team rules, duh. And Yankee fans can be really annoying.

I have always been pretty indifferent about the Mets, but when Willie got on the team I actually started rooting for them... just a little.

NT! 08-09-2006 10:41 AM

The Moose
Marvin Harrison
Mike Knuble

I don't care enough to hate anyone in the NBA anymore, but I hated the Pacers because Reggie Miller played for them but liked O'Neal and Artest.

JordanIB 08-09-2006 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lifelong Yankee fan and love baseball more than any other sport, but I definitely do not hate the Mets.

[/ QUOTE ]

"In a related story, Lakers fans today admitted that they don't hate the Clippers."

Rubeskies 08-09-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a lifelong Yankee fan and love baseball more than any other sport, but I definitely do not hate the Mets.

[/ QUOTE ]

"In a related story, Lakers fans today admitted that they don't hate the Clippers."

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

Wes Mantooth 08-09-2006 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
David Wells (Red Sox)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah well JR hates you and doesn't want you to come to his games. so there.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I use to also like Brett Hull even though he played for a number of teams that I did not like.

MikeyPatriot 08-09-2006 11:08 AM

Cub-hating White Sox fan, but I liked Dawson and Grace growing up. I always really respect Brett Favre for what he's accomplished throughout his career as well.

pirateboy 08-09-2006 11:11 AM

Demeco Ryans (when he was at Alabama)
Tom Brady (NE Patriots)
Michael Strahan (NYG)
Albert Pujols (St.L Cards)
Jason Allen (Miami Dolphins)

Karak567 08-09-2006 11:20 AM

I don't really hate Seattle, but Ichiro is on the top of my list of "favorite non-Yankee players"

bottomset 08-09-2006 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thierry Henry (French National Soccer) would be much better

nolanfan34 08-09-2006 11:50 AM

Tough question.

One current one would be David Wright. He's almost making me tolerate the Mets.

Nolan on the Rangers led me to feel conflicted, since I always rooted for the M's against them. Unless he was pitching, of course.

I wouldn't say I hated Golden State necessarily, but I was a big Chris Mullin fan, but a big Sonics fan as well.

Marvin Harrison is a good football one.

disjunction 08-09-2006 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're too young to remember 1986. If you had a rooting interest then, chances are you'd hate the Mets.

But it's the same principle as to why the Yankees and Sox hate each other more than other opponents. Because they are close together in location, the fans see each other a lot, and everyone talks smack. Theoretically, since they are both in the Northeast, Yankees and Sox fans should hate the other team less than, say, the Blue Jays.

KD2552 08-09-2006 12:01 PM

Big Cubs fan and Whitesox hater. But Frank Thomas is one of my favorite all time players.

Evan 08-09-2006 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're too young to remember 1986. If you had a rooting interest then, chances are you'd hate the Mets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I was 1 in 1986.

[ QUOTE ]
But it's the same principle as to why the Yankees and Sox hate each other more than other opponents. Because they are close together in location, the fans see each other a lot, and everyone talks smack. Theoretically, since they are both in the Northeast, Yankees and Sox fans should hate the other team less than, say, the Blue Jays.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely false. The Yankees and Sox are competing in the same division. The Yankees and Mets are in completely different leagues and until interleague play started a couple years ago they only played each other in the Mayor's Trophy game in spring training. I absolutely despise the Red Sox and almost everything about Boston/New England. I don't feel nearly that way about the Mets because we never play them. The two are not the same at all.

disjunction 08-09-2006 12:05 PM

I don't really hate any teams anymore, but I root against the Red Sox and I'd name Ortiz and Pedro, when he was here.

Historically, back when I hated teams, I liked:

Scotty Pippen (part of my MJ-hate)
Kobe Bryant (during the early Shaq era)
Emmitt Smith

disjunction 08-09-2006 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely false. The Yankees and Sox are competing in the same division. The Yankees and Mets are in completely different leagues and until interleague play started a couple years ago they only played each other in the Mayor's Trophy game in spring training. I absolutely despise the Red Sox and almost everything about Boston/New England. I don't feel nearly that way about the Mets because we never play them. The two are not the same at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate Boston more than Toronto? Boston/New England is more similar to New York than any other city.

Perhaps it's the laid-back Canadianness. Getting away from that, if there were an LA team in the same division (not too much of a reach, since everyone competes for the wildcard now), do you think there would as many L.A. haters due to Hollywood culture clash?