Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   30 LBS in 90 days - Who's with me??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=177677)

surfinillini 08-03-2006 07:40 AM

30 LBS in 90 days - Who\'s with me???

Alright, so I've been in Vegas for 3 months now and my workouts have been less than stellar...actually they haven't been bad but the combo of eating crap food and drinking plus lots of lost sleep has left me in not so good shape...

right now I'm 5"8 and weigh 180lbs roughly

the least I've ever weighed was after I graduated high school when I weighed 145 and was muscular...best shape I was ever in, in my life (the most I've ever weighed was 195 lbs right out of college)

the goal is to weigh 150lbs (or less) in 90 days without losing very much muscle mass or cheating using steroids

plan is 1 hr lifting/1 hour cardio daily, one day off a week
strict diet of 1 serving protein/carb every 4 hours, no eating 5 hours prior to sleep and no carbs after 1/2 of my day...

I think this is more than possible

I might also post pics to add visuals

anyone wanna join the fun???

meanjean 08-03-2006 07:45 AM

Re: 30 LBS in 90 days - Who\'s with me???

hard goal....that's burning about 1200 calories more than you eat a day....what are your plans after 90 days?

Wools 08-03-2006 08:35 AM

If you can live with very little variety, I'd suggest a diet mainly consisting of oatmeal, chicken breasts, and protein shakes(obviously multivitamins and fish oil caps, etc...also).

I also think it's very possible; the last semester I was at Mizzou I was in a dorm with an evening dessert type service, so I ended every night with some huge chocochip cookies and raspberry smoothies. I went from being about 155 up to 185-190, but I also didnt work out the last 8-10 weeks of the sem. I had the weight off by early spring after cycling 200+ miles per week(my usual routine that I skimped on that sem) without any attention at all to diet.

Also, I'd warn against not eating for 5 hours prior to bedtime. You have the right idea down, but if you're lifting 5-6 days/week, you really need to be taking in at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight. So figure 200g/day spread out over 5-6 meals; you'll be fine snacking on some beef jerky or having a chicken breast in the evening, but giving yourself 2-3 hours to digest should be ok(5hrs seems a bit excessive). Also, look into the merits of drinking a protein shake(I mix all of mine with water) close to bed time. You body recovers at rest and it needs protein to repair the muscle you damage by lifting.

Just my two cents.

21times20 08-03-2006 09:54 AM

im like 5'7" and a little less than 120 lbs, we should have a race to see who can get to 150 first

Kneel B4 Zod 08-03-2006 09:57 AM

I'm 5' 10" 205lb. I could stand to lose 15 pounds.

I'll with you 50% [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

CappyAA 08-03-2006 09:58 AM

http://www.hkedcity.net/article/deve...-001/vomit.gif

daveymck 08-03-2006 10:08 AM

I am doing 30lbs in 4 months, had signed up to the weightlossresources website, gives you target calories a day based on your goals and adjusts for exercise. You then fill in your food diary which then adds up your calories, so can see what foods cause you problems and adjust what you eat or portion sizes, seems to have every food you can think of listed form all the major supermarkets and fast food etc.

Hopefully doing it this way I can adjust my eating patterns (and probably get more excercise) so I actually keep the weight off, as after Atkins a couple of years ago I ended up putting everything back on.

Currently 14 Stone (I think thats 196lb but not sure) want to get down 11.5 stone (160-165) I have no muscle mass to worry about keeping at the minute.

guids 08-03-2006 10:14 AM

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_107fat

Steroids arent cheating btw.

Tron 08-03-2006 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im like 5'7" and a little less than 120 lbs, we should have a race to see who can get to 150 first

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be awesome.

BWebb 08-03-2006 10:38 AM

30 lbs seems like too much to me. I'm 5'8" and weigh 165. I could probably stand to lose 5 lbs of fat but anything more than that and I feel I'd be way too skinny. Plus, if you are still in Vegas I don't see how this is going to be possible.

doc_1982 08-03-2006 10:42 AM

Dude, WHAT THE [censored] IS THAT AVATAR?

Tron 08-03-2006 10:43 AM

I am in basically the exact opposite situation as you, I'm around 5'8" and I weighed 148 in March and would like to get up to about 175 (I'm at 166 now, though).

Good luck.

Tron 08-03-2006 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, WHAT THE [censored] IS THAT AVATAR?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's exactly what it looks like.

doc_1982 08-03-2006 10:56 AM

Fine, i'll rephrase. "Dude, WHAT THE [censored] IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

FavouriteColour 08-03-2006 10:59 AM

Try 30lbs in 30 days you pussys

FavouriteColour 08-03-2006 11:00 AM

It's this easy: http://www.bodyfatguide.com/PoundADay.htm !!

Performify 08-03-2006 11:15 AM

SI,

I'm already in the middle of a challenge to do something similar. I'm actually trying for a more aggressive timetable. I've got a "first one to lose 10% of their bodyweight" challenge with a buddy for a grand.

Let me know what you're thinking here as far as support.

Oh, and for the record, I got rid of BWebb's avatar. Not cool man, not cool...

HP 08-03-2006 11:16 AM

From personal experience this works well;

Travel around Thailand and neighboring countries, get food poisoning multiple times. Then go to a country where the local food sucks and there's none of your favourite fast food available.

I'm 5'10", I've weighed as much as 200 before, I'm about 155 now

*Disclaimer* This is probably not healthy.

seke2 08-03-2006 11:22 AM

I have sort of been working on this anyway, I've lost 13 pounds in about 45 days so far. I'm trying to lose about 40 total, and I try to stick to a rate of about 2 lbs / week, so 30 in 90 is a little much, but I'm shooting for about 30 by day 100 or so. Maybe I'll try and push myself a little to reach 30 in 90.

amplify 08-03-2006 11:32 AM

6 feet tall 245. I was 215 in January so if I can put it on that fast, I can take it off that fast. The "fat fast" is an interesting idea, last time I was 245 was 8 years ago and I low-carbed my way down to 215 pretty swiftly (4-5 months), and with no thought whatsoever of caloric intake. Adding a strict caloric limit should accellerate fat loss.

I will be walking 1-2 hours per day, lifting weights and doing yoga for like 1/2 hour.

WackityWhiz 08-03-2006 12:01 PM

Can you give me some good examples of what to eat at each meal? I'm looking to do something similar to this but I'm completely lost as to what to eat. I know chicken breasts are key... what else?

I don't want to eat too much, but I don't want to starve myself. Just want to eat healthy and workout. I weigh 255 and i'm 5'10". I'm still athletic so this won't be toooo hard... I just need to work on my diet.

thanks... gl to you too surf

amplify 08-03-2006 12:06 PM

One interesting method is to limit yourself only to the outer parts of the supermarket. Nothing boxed, nothing prepared. Meat, milk, eggs, fruit, vegetables. 4-5 meals small meals per day. Work out a lot. Drink a lot of water.

AmazingBlender 08-03-2006 12:17 PM

Any one know how much calories u burn for every mile you run?

seke2 08-03-2006 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any one know how much calories u burn for every mile you run?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my treadmill says its roughly 150 calories for 1 mile jogging at 6 mph on a 1.5 degree incline.

BWebb 08-03-2006 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine, i'll rephrase. "Dude, WHAT THE [censored] IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the Ari Gold avatar? It was removed but I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

2+2 wannabe 08-03-2006 02:26 PM

50 lbs in 90 days and you have a bet

on August 14 I will embark on losing 50 in 90 days - and I will win

Performify 08-03-2006 02:35 PM

Ari Gold avatar was fine - but the host aparently changed it to serve up something exceedingly disguisting.

If you wanted to grab that original Ari avatar and host it somewhere else it would be fine... I just wouldn't use that host again.

morello 08-03-2006 02:48 PM

This is definitely doable. I weighed 212lbs on May 16th (gym signup) and weigh 181 now. I also spent two weeks eating cheeseburgers in Vegas without access to a gym.

JordanIB 08-03-2006 03:04 PM

90 days? That's weak.

Just go to minicamp for a few days.

[ QUOTE ]
Offensive tackle David Diehl, who weighs 319 pounds, said he normally loses eight or nine pounds during a hot practice like the team has conducted over the last two days, when the heat index reached 107 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo 08-03-2006 03:09 PM

surf,

I have been in pretty much the same spot as you for the last year.

I was 160ish in high school. 170ish in college up until the time I was 30. I never went over 175. 165 is a pretty ideal weight for me when I'm lifting, 170 is perfectly fine.

In the last four years, mainly in the last two years after getting injured at soccer and falling out of the exercise habit + poker + lots of drinking + a new startup, I gained about twenty pounds - it just gradually crept on.

Three months ago I got sick of it and decided to get my ass back in shape, with being in shape to play the upcoming fall soccer season as motivation.

I made the following changes.

1) Instead of exercising once or twice a week, I exercise five or six times a week (weights 2-3x [full body for 30-60 minutes], running 2-3x [3ish miles], tennis 1-2x).

2) I stopped going to happy hours, except maybe once a week.

3) I stopped drinking heavily except for once a week (I'd usually be going out for happy hour + dinner + more drinks at least 2 or 3 times a week]

4) Breakfast I changed from grabbing a pastry or croissant or something to yogurt and/or a fruit or sometimes a bagel.

5) Lunch I stopped eating huge burritos and big deli sandwiches + chips and instead make a sandwich from home or eat out a few healthier lunch things (one deli has reasonable sized sandwiches here, the Indian place has good small to-go lunches, a few salad places, etc.)

6) Dinner I try to eat out only twice a week, one usually a "bad" meal (steak, Italian, etc) where I eat whatever within reason and the other sushi. Other times, I cook at home, some combo of steak/fish/chicken/burger + tomato/avocado/spinach/corn and other such stuff, plus have a lot of fruits.

7) Reduced how much juice I drink. I had already cut out sodas a while back. Lots of water + sparkling flavored carbonated water (not sweetened).

8) No more complete crap food - fries, onion rings, chips, cookies, desserts etc. Except fried cheese, which I will eat whenever possible!

9) No more eating pizza/chinese/cheesesteak/doughnuts at the end of nights when I do go drinking.

10) When I do meet people out for casual drinks from time to time, 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4.

Here are my results for the last three months:

5-1 187
5-15 185
5-24 184
6-21 178
7-3 176
7-21 173
8-1 170

This period includes one big weekend when a friend was in town and another big weekend of gluttony in NYC.

The nice thing about my plan is that while it's a lot of little things, I really haven't had to make any big sacrifices or what feel like fundamental changes to my lifestyle. I do spend more time shopping for groceries and cooking, but that's cool.

Last few dinners, btw were:

Grilled filet mignon + roasted bell peppers / tomato + corn on the cob

Hamburger w/ half avocado chopped in there + tomato

Chicken breast + half avocado + spinach + tomato (I am a big fan of good tomato wedges w/ salt/pepper, maybe a little olive oil)

Chicken apple sausage + slice of bread + spinach salad

So, it's not like I'm eating rabbit food, just cutting down on quantities and minimizing stuff like potatoes and bread.

Sometimes I'm still hungry and have some dessert - lately that has been peaches, nectarines, yogurt, dried cherries (and some cinnamon graham crackers for when I just need a cookie).

One change I have definitely made is that I'm conscious of calories and take that into account when buying stuff. The other night I was going to get a burrito from Trader Joe's for dinner, but looked and it was about 750 calories total. For 600 calories I made steak + veggies + corn + dessert. It's those extra 100-200 calories here and there that quickly add up and get you from 1500-2000 daily to 2500-3000. I had never really paid any attention to calories before ever, and the numbers are often somewhat surprising.

Edited to add: I also try to have an order of chicken nuggets or chicken strips w/ every meal.

El Diablo 08-03-2006 03:34 PM

FC,

I now am imagining hordes of fat young online poker players marching in place while multi-tabling.

DrewDevil 08-03-2006 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edited to add: I also try to have an order of chicken nuggets or chicken strips w/ every meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Breakfast, lunch and dinner of champions!

bravos1 08-03-2006 04:10 PM

BTW, what ever happened to BisonBison's fatty challenge? Hmm, guess I should try using the search function... nah..

surfinillini 08-03-2006 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you give me some good examples of what to eat at each meal? [

[/ QUOTE ]

my eating goes like this

wake: egg whites + turkey bacon
4 hrs later: chicken breast plus one serving of brown rice
4 hrs later: metrx big 100 bar
4 hrs later: protein shake mixed with non-fat milk

thats pretty much it, I also eat saltine crackers with water here and there to quench any late night hunger

I don't mind the mundane nature of this diet, the one thing though is that on Sundays I allow myself a "cheat dinner"

so if I want to get chinese food, or sushi or in-n-out burger, I can sunday night knowing for the entire next week I'll be eating clean

and nice work El D, keep it up

21times20 08-03-2006 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50 lbs in 90 days and you have a bet

on August 14 I will embark on losing 50 in 90 days - and I will win

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem confident in your ability to lose weight quickly, and also willing to bet on it, i would like to bet someone that i can gain weight faster than they can lose it, there has to be some kind of odds line where a legitimate competition can take place

how much do you weigh? i am between 5'7" and 5'8" and i have never weighed more than 135 lbs in my life, i just weighed myself and i am now at 118.5 so im pretty sure it would not be easy at all for me to get to 150+, especially considering my lack of a serious appetite

i really think there can be some amount of weight loss/gain combined with a realistic line that an interesting bet can be made between my skinny ass and some fat 2+2er

is this just a pipe dream or does anyone think this could actually happen?

rogue 08-03-2006 06:20 PM

30 pounds in 90 days is not bad. I am 5'11" and 71 days ago I was 189.5. Today I am 160. I didn't use any fancy diet, I just spread out my meals, made healthy choices, and exercised 4-5 times a week.

A typical day for me would be:
Breakfast (7am):
Bowl of cheerios with 1% milk, with a banana

10am snack:
Apple or banana

Lunch (noon):
Turkey sandwich on low calorie wheat bread
1 serving of baby carrots

3pm snack:
Apple or banana

Dinner (7-8pm):
4oz Grilled Chicken
Serviing of white rice
and/or
Some vegetable, brocoli, corn, green beans ...

I worked out 4-5 days a week around 5-6pm. I did a 5-10 minute warmup on an elliptical, then about 25-30 minutes of weights. I was a total noob at lifting so I stuck to the machines first, rotating which muscles I worked on based on some website. Towards the end I started working in some free weights as I got more comfortable with how to use them properly. After the weights I would do 30 minutes of cardio on an elliptical.

I'm never really that hungry, as I eat pretty often. It has gotten easier and easier to eat less food as I have progressed. Once I hit my target weight (I don't even know what that is, maybe 155? or even 160) I plan to continue to eat the same way I am now, but maybe scale the gym time back to 2-3 times a week. I'd like to continue to improve my strength, but I'm not really hardcore about it.

I wish you luck with your weight loss.

El Diablo 08-03-2006 06:24 PM

surf,

I have never tried a diet like yours, but based on hearing from other people, most tend to get really sick of it pretty quick. I tried to make some changes that result in me eating stuff that I still really, really like, which is why it has not been tough to stick to the plan (though skipping fries and onion rings when out sucks hard). I think you might want to consider (maybe not at first if you want to lose more rapidly) more of a "eat healthier" plan than a hard-core diet like you seem to be doing.

Artdogg 08-03-2006 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you seem confident in your ability to lose weight quickly, and also willing to bet on it, i would like to bet someone that i can gain weight faster than they can lose it, there has to be some kind of odds line where a legitimate competition can take place

how much do you weigh? i am between 5'7" and 5'8" and i have never weighed more than 135 lbs in my life, i just weighed myself and i am now at 118.5 so im pretty sure it would not be easy at all for me to get to 150+, especially considering my lack of a serious appetite

i really think there can be some amount of weight loss/gain combined with a realistic line that an interesting bet can be made between my skinny ass and some fat 2+2er

is this just a pipe dream or does anyone think this could actually happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know a whole lot about gaining weight quickly, but I do know you can lose well over 5 pounds a week by cutting out a ton of calories and cardio. Obviously a lot of the weightloss will be muscle, how much muscle depends on your body composition.

The good news(and this relates to the OP) is you can gain back that muscle relatively quickly by readjusting your diet and lifting heavy without gaining much weight because lean muscle burns the [censored] out of fat. I know all this because I went through the entire process, although I learned later that the pace that I lost the weight wasn't the most healthy way.

El Diablo 08-03-2006 06:31 PM

rogue,

That sounds very similar to what I've been doing diet and exercise-wise, except that I do badass lifting and also visualize a lot of UFC/parkour training. And less cardio than you (I hatehatehate running and can't stand cardio machines), but this will change soon w/ soccer.

rogue 08-03-2006 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rogue,

That sounds very similar to what I've been doing diet and exercise-wise, except that I do badass lifting and also visualize a lot of UFC/parkour training. And less cardio than you (I hatehatehate running and can't stand cardio machines), but this will change soon w/ soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea my primary goal was to drop the weight, I figure I can try to gain more strength later if I want to. I do at least push myself to lifting as much weight as I can for about 3 sets of 10 reps on each machine. I saw pretty significant increases in how much I could lift in the beginning, but it has leveled out since. I imagine if I want to continue that route I'd have to pick a slightly more serious weight routine.

The cardio I don't mind too much. I just listen to my iPod and watch whatever is on the TVs at the gym and the time flies by. I have also seen a significant improvement with the cardio, I can go at a much higher intensity for longer, and I believe my resting heart rate has dropped as well. I didn't really keep very good track of anything besides my weight though.