Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Recruiting Writers for the Internet Magazine (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=176454)

Dynasty 08-01-2006 08:16 PM

Recruiting Writers for the Internet Magazine

Link to Post in Internet Magazine Forum

I've contacted several of you asking for reccomendations for possible writers for the Internet Magazine. In particular, I'm looking for good posters to write non hold 'em articles.

For those who I haven't PM'd, I'm certainly interested in hearing any advice you can give about bringing in new writers.

For cash game hold 'em writers, I think it would be particularly interesting to get skilled players in short-haned and heads-up play. Tournament articles have been underrepresented in the magazine (though not by much) so I'd like to get in contact with some good posters form both MTT and 1TT.

MEbenhoe 08-01-2006 08:48 PM

Re: Recruiting Writers for the Internet Magazine

i really think you should contact schneids. Besides being one of the best limit players on here, he's also a journalism major. I'd love to see a consistent article from him every month if he'd be willing to do it.

Dynasty 08-01-2006 08:50 PM

I forgot to put this in the orginal post.

The magazine pays $200 for published articles.

Nick B. 08-01-2006 09:01 PM

i think that blair rodman tournament reports should go in there.

Dynasty 08-01-2006 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that blair rodman tournament reports should go in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beat you on that one. One of the first things I did was PM Blair about writing for the magazine (though not necessarily tournament reports).

Gregatron 08-01-2006 09:02 PM

Dynasty,

*TT* would probably be good to write a triple draw article. He is a great poster IMO.

Also, a suggestion: why not post an open invitation to submit in the other poker forum?

Dynasty 08-01-2006 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*TT* would probably be good to write a triple draw article. He is a great poster IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

*TT* actually talked to Mason about this several weeks ago before I became the editor. He's got something really detailed he wants to publish. But, he's holding it back until later in the year.

Dids 08-01-2006 09:10 PM

I am saying this 100% not as an insult or anything.

The magazine will be better, and taken more seriously if you don't have people like BVT and Lorinda involved.

Sniper 08-01-2006 09:14 PM

Dynasty,

You should definately contact Dan (MrNow), I know he would very much like to write more Poker & Finance related articles.

Mike Haven 08-01-2006 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The magazine will be better, and taken more seriously if you don't have people like BVT and Lorinda involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

The heights of your ignorance continue to amaze.

MrWookie 08-01-2006 09:25 PM

Does anyone actually take MrNow seriously? Last I saw of him was the infamous cat's ass post, and then him getting El Diablowned in the money making forum.

Dids 08-01-2006 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The heights of your ignorance continue to amaze.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

It's really cute how emo you get when I insult your friends.

I think regardless of my issues with them on the forums, the nature of the articles that both submit don't suit the magazine.

The fact that they also both have zero crediblity (save with the Zoo) on the forums is a minor secondary issue.

stabn 08-01-2006 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dynasty,

Also, a suggestion: why not post an open invitation to submit in the other poker forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple of other poker regulars i'd much read an article from than tt.

Dynasty,

I'd consider making a post in other poking about the magazine if we really want to bring some good badugi/2-7 articles into the magazine.

Sniper 08-02-2006 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone actually take MrNow seriously? Last I saw of him was the infamous cat's ass post, and then him getting El Diablowned in the money making forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wookie, his posts are generally of high quality, and he is a poster deserving of respect!

andyfox 08-02-2006 02:08 AM

I recently visited his blog, and he is indeed a good and entertaining writer. A monthly article from Tommy would be good too.

Sniper 08-02-2006 06:52 AM

Dynasty...

BTW, have you considered asking [censored] to write a gossip column? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mike Haven 08-02-2006 10:19 AM

I'm not sure that someone who uses the words 'cute' and 'emo' in a twelve word sentence is in a position to suggest that they have any knowledge of what constitutes good or relevant writing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dids 08-02-2006 11:31 AM

Mike,

Please keep confusing style with skill. It doesn't make you look like an idiot in the least. I'm confused as to what possible exception you could take with the word "cute", but maybe that's just a generational thing.

What makes you look like an idiot is knee jerking to the defense of posters that nobody outside your little cavern of insanity takes seriously.

BVT's articles have contained items that were 100% mistakes, and it makes 2p2 look bad to publish something that contains such flawed thinking.

Lorinda is viewed as a troll by the vast majority of the forum. Even if you think that Lori's reputation is unfounded, it's hard to deny that it exists. When you're asking somebody with that reputation with your core readership to write for your magazine, you're going to have a crediblity issue.

Given that the vast majority of the authors are unknown, one of the questions I ask myself when reading the magazine is "Who is this person to be telling me these things". Part of what grants the author some authority should be simply the fact that they're being published in this magazine. Instead, given that in my mind there's no quality control in terms of who is writing for them, it's hard to take any of this people seriously (fwiw, I would level the same criticism as Jack Adamo as well).

durron597 08-02-2006 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lorinda is viewed as a troll by the vast majority of the forum. Even if you think that Lori's reputation is unfounded, it's hard to deny that it exists. When you're asking somebody with that reputation with your core readership to write for your magazine, you're going to have a crediblity issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "the forum" you mean "other other topics", then I might agree with this sentence. Why don't you go make a post in the STT forum about what they think of Lorinda?

Dids 08-02-2006 01:17 PM

durron,

True, I forgot that STT likes him as well. You've also said that STT is one of the forums that's basically a community that doesn't really take part in the rest of 2p2. So I'm not sure they're that terribly representative.

I think it's much more than OOT that takes issue with him.

durron597 08-02-2006 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durron,

True, I forgot that STT likes him as well. You've also said that STT is one of the forums that's basically a community that doesn't really take part in the rest of 2p2. So I'm not sure they're that terribly representative.

I think it's much more than OOT that takes issue with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's OOT and NVG, the fact remains that the TC articles are quite good and there's at least one strategy forum that greatly values Lorinda's advice. I admit that Lorinda does have temper control problems but I still value every strategy post he makes.

Dynasty 08-03-2006 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did this in five forums: Omaha/8, Stud, Pot-Limit Omaha, Other Poker, and Heads Up.

deacsoft 08-04-2006 06:39 PM

I can't currently make any promises but my schedule is about to slow down to the point that I'm going to try to do some more interviews again.

bobbyi 08-05-2006 12:33 PM

When the magazine was new, I was interested in trying to write an article. As Dids says, Lorinda and BVT killed the credibility of the magazine and chased away lots of twoplustwoers, including me. Hopefully, you will be able to dig it back out of that hole and rekindle interest in the magazine.

Last week was my last week at Microsoft and I have some time before I start a new job. I'll try to write this article on seat selection concepts that I have had in mind for a while. I think that it will contain some ideas that will be new to most readers and that will be applicable to a variety of games.

Dynasty 09-30-2006 10:49 PM

After finishing my second issue of the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine (Ocotber issue just went up), I'm fairly happy with the direction it's going.

My biggest concern is still getting submissions. While the quality has been fairly high, the quantity has been surprisingly low. In particular, full ring game hold 'em articles (both limit and no-limit) have dried up.

I'd like to get some more reccomendations of which top strategy posters to solicit articles from.

Dynasty 01-10-2007 02:51 PM

New bump.

To my continuing surprise, I just can't seem to get consistent quality hold 'em articles (limit and no-limit) submitted to me. So, once again, I'd like to solicit the mods opinions on who I should contact to impmrove the quality of the Magazine content.

The Magazine has also had very few submissios about tournament hold 'em. So, that's an area I could use some advice in too.

private joker 01-10-2007 03:29 PM

Hey Dynasty -- what are the terms of writing articles? Is there any $ in it? How often do you want them? I could write some pretty decent general LHE pieces... for example, here's a long strategy post I made in SS a while ago that got a lot of really good feedback (including people who say I should have submitted it to the magazine -- something I hadn't even considered).

Another poster I think would be good is Nate1279 (or 1729 or something like that). He's actually working on a huge thesis about strategy for Arizona's pseudo-NL game, the 5-150 spread. I think he should publish it in the magazine instead of in a strat forum.

Dynasty 01-10-2007 05:17 PM

The Magazine pays $200 per article. Published articles stay on the website for three months. During those three months, the article can't be published anywhere else. After that period is over, the rights to the article return completely to you (you can publish it again elsewhere).

The Magazine is monthly so it's ideal to find writers who can produce an article each month. Jeffage has been an excellent contributor of stud articles as has Frank Jerome for Omaha/8 material. If I could get some NLHE and LHE writers like them, it would be great.

I already have Nate's article on that spread limit game. I got it a few days ago and am about to take a first look at it.

Dynasty 01-10-2007 05:32 PM

I have followed up on all the suggestions given in this tread over the past 5+ months.

Schneids: He was busy for a while but I've recently PM'd him again to guage his interest.

Blair Rodman: Blair is mostly playing Elimination Blackjack tournaments now. But, he's interested in contributing some articles on that game. I'm considering it.

*TT*: He should be starting a series of 2-7 TD articles in the March issue.

Barron Vangor Toth: After not agreeing on a couple submissions when I became editor, Barron stopped submitting articles.

Lorinda: I PM"d "her" a few months ago. Her interest was low mostly because of the more strategy-oriented direttion I was trying to take the Magazine in.

Dan (MrNow) had a long series in the Magazine already (Poker and Finance).

Wookie: I know I've PM'd him. But, I don't remember his response.

Tommy Angelo: He wrote one article. But, he's currently working on a book so he's not available.

[censored]: I actually didn't follow up on Sniper's "advice". But, gossip collumns aren't what I'm looking for.

MrWookie 01-10-2007 05:56 PM

I wouldn't mind writing another article. I'd actually been talking w/ Nfinity about doing a whole series of 6 max LHE articles. He used to be a Micro/SSSH regular, but some personal issues have regulated an on-again-off-again poster, with more off-again lately. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of him again so we can bounce ideas off each other. Once I get inspired on a topic, I can usually get something decent written in not too much time. I'll let you know when I/we have something.

*TT* 01-11-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

*TT*: He should be starting a series of 2-7 TD articles in the March issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

The series should eventually include Badugi and possibly Razz if I am motivated. I'd rather work hand and play hard than write, I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to writing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Lucky for Dyansty I don't have too many excuses now... first submission expected at the end of the month.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Berge20 01-12-2007 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Magazine pays $200 per article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Send me my moneys! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Dynasty 01-16-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Magazine pays $200 per article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Send me my moneys! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm genuinely surprised you didn't know you were getting paid.

To all,

Do you think there is any general misconception that tha Magazine doesn't pay for its articles?

Sniper 01-16-2007 03:26 AM

Dynasty,

You might want to add some info about submitting articles to a sticky in the Mag forum, including the rate paid, rights and any other info that a writer should know...

Is there a standard agreement or anything that the authors receive?

Jurollo 01-16-2007 03:43 AM

Foucault from MTT is a great writer and would be very good for this.

Dynasty 02-10-2007 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put new solicitation post in the MTT and 1TT forums. So, any advice on potential tournament authors would be helpful.

[censored] 02-10-2007 05:41 AM

Dynasty,

please stop sending me PM's asking me to write a monthly blog for the magazine for the last time while as you've repeatedly stated it would likely double the readership I'm just not interested right now.

Jurollo 02-11-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put new solicitation post in the MTT and 1TT forums. So, any advice on potential tournament authors would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can talk to Andrew (foucault) and Uclabruinz (Paul) they are both very good authors. I would also consider writing something if push came to shove. Ansky is one last poster that comes to mind as a terrific writer.
~J

Dynasty 09-25-2007 05:39 PM

Bump.

I had lunch with Mason, Mat, and Kiera today. It was decided to make a new effort to recruit some fresh writers into the Magazine.

So, again, I'm asking for reccomendations from the moderators on who we can approach to become regular contributors going forward.

EMc 09-25-2007 07:13 PM

d,

Pokey has returned, expressed an interest. Also too, Goofyballer does know his stuff and writes very well.