Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Censorship in american TV, WTF?! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=164547)

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 07:25 AM

Censorship in american TV, WTF?!

I just watched the latast episode of Hell's Kitchen. I don't think I ever seen so much censored material ever in a show. They beeped all the "f*ck" and they blured when someone showed the finger several times. Ofcource they even blured/taped over the label of beerbottles. Then came the most supprising, they even blured the clevage of a woman having a bikini top! I mean what the hell... What is next? No bare legs? No lipstick? I actually laughed at it because it was so ridiculus.

Censorship is always the first step to total control. This is how North Korea for example work. The "free" world is becomming less "free" for every day.

Edit: Also look at shows like Mythbusters where they also started to censor how they solve the myths now! If it is too dangerous to show, then don't even bother taping it... It is not like those who are not intrested will not find out anyways...

OneChipWarrior 07-18-2006 07:29 AM

Re: Censorship in american TV, WTF?!

who cares?

Annorax 07-18-2006 07:32 AM

They blur the beer labels because the beer company didn't pay for product placement/advertising. Could also be a copyright thing, I'm not sure.

The rest of that is to avoid getting nailed by very vague FCC regulations on obscenity that carry fines of like 500k/violation.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people do, not everyone is like you.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They blur the beer labels because the beer company didn't pay for product placement/advertising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I realize that. But should it be that way? I mean one brand label is shown for a few seconds and they bring out the blur beacuse they did not pay for it? Do we want programs full of beeps, blurs and tape overs? Tv is hardly watchable any more...

Annorax 07-18-2006 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They blur the beer labels because the beer company didn't pay for product placement/advertising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I realize that. But should it be that way? I mean one brand label is shown for a few seconds and they bring out the blur beacuse they did not pay for it? Do we want programs full of beeps, blurs and tape overs? Tv is hardly watchable any more...

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize it's [censored], but that's what American television, and the American way of life in general, have become. As George Carlin said, you don't get what you pay for anymore. You get what they feel like giving you. The only thing you can do about it is to stop watching and stop buying.

Dynasty 07-18-2006 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Censorship is always the first step to total control. This is how North Korea for example work. The "free" world is becomming less "free" for every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being ridiculous. There is far less censorship on American TV than ever before.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being ridiculous. There is far less censorship on American TV than ever before.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long there is censorship at all, it is not good enough. Saying something "was worse before" does not change the fact that it is good ok now.

Aloysius 07-18-2006 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Network TV standards & practices (the "censors") have been loosening their broadcast requirements for years now amd has fairly relaxed standards today (especially, as Dynasty mentioned, compared to prior years). It's a relative issue, not an absolute one, and it's a much less censorious environment today.

Also, do you watch Cable TV or Premium pay stations? WTF.

Anyway, if you're so terrified about your rights to freedom being impinged on move to another country and see how things work out for you. Your OP is bordering on ludicrous.

-Al

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, if you're so terrified about your rights to freedom being impinged on move to another country and see how things work out for you. Your OP is bordering on ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a twist, I do not even live in the US. YOU should try moving to another country to see how much LESS censorship there is. From all tv shows I ever watched, the ones from the US are the most cencored! Open your eyes ffs.

07-18-2006 08:26 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

jaffa 07-18-2006 08:27 AM

Move to the UK, we dont have much censorship here. Especially not on something like Hell's Kitchen. Land of the free.

Someone i know was telling me the other day that they were watching a film, i think on the Sci Fi Channel (this is in the US by the way). And all profanities were dubbed. So even mild things like arse became something like eyes. That's weak.

Willeh 07-18-2006 08:28 AM

I have to agree with the OP...it's becoming hard to draw the line I guess at what to censor. I mean, censoring women in bikini's? That's going a bit too far, since you can arguably just go to the beach and see the very same thing in vast quantities. Same with beeps, they're just beeping words everybody in the whole world has heard at least 10.000 times.

Also I don't really see the point of censoring Hell's Kitchen, that show was basically made obscene deliberately. If not, they would have had a smiley faced Jamie Oliver presenting it, surely.

crunchy1 07-18-2006 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From all tv shows I ever watched, the ones from the US are the most cencored!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhhhhhhh... So it's really just a "sample size" issue.

Aloysius 07-18-2006 08:29 AM

MMIG - what a twist! You've blown my mind.

Buddy - you turned this into a broader issue of "rights to freedom" in your OP - you're right from a television perspective, Europe is way more "progressive" with respect to what it's airing and what it "blurs" or whatever.

However, the fact that you're using Network TV standards and practices as a gauge for rights to freedom in the US is incredibly retarded. And as mentioned several times... TV "censorship" in the US has only gotten better over the years.

[ QUOTE ]
Open your eyes ffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL dude how trashed are you right now?

-Al

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From all tv shows I ever watched, the ones from the US are the most cencored!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhhhhhhh... So it's really just a "sample size" issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast as a non american I do watch non US material. I am not as close minded as you are and saying "our country is the best f*ck the rest".

rwanger 07-18-2006 08:33 AM

Are you suggesting that network TV should be allowing any/all profanities?

Although I personally think that they way they're censoring the f bomb these days is pretty lame, since we all know exactly what they meant.

Kinda like when they only censor out the nipple.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL dude how trashed are you right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I hurt your little american feelings or something? What a shame if I did... Why don't you just go start another war.

Aloysius 07-18-2006 08:41 AM

MMIG - yes, yes you did.

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just go start another war.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - tell me where you live - wiping out whatever country educated a moran like you strikes me as a good idea.

-Al

jaffa 07-18-2006 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kinda like when they only censor out the nipple.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, agreed, that's a proper pet hate of mine.

Also: even as a non american who doesn't think much of your country like the rest of the world, i must say that the OP has suddenly turned into a bit of a douche.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MMIG - yes, yes you did.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - tell me where you live - wiping out whatever country educated a moran like you strikes me as a good idea.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is the TRUE american spirit. If a person in another coutnry do not agree with you, then wipe them out! You done it some many times before, why not again...

Jackie Onassis 07-18-2006 09:21 AM

Watch Showgirls on VH1 the next time it's on so you can get a good lol.

bobman0330 07-18-2006 09:32 AM

The bikini thing is a bit stupid. The rest of the stuff is really standard (the beer bottles and what they do on mythbusters (the episodes I've seen at least) aren't even censorship.

acoustix 07-18-2006 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MMIG - yes, yes you did.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is the TRUE american spirit. If a person in another coutnry do not agree with you, then wipe them out! You done it some many times before, why not again...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you made this thread with the sole purpose of turning it into a trollish "I hate Americans" thread. For this you are lame and I hope [censored] is feeling especially patriotic today.

Happy Time Harry 07-18-2006 10:02 AM

With the mood it looks like [censored] is in, I don't think it would be a stretch for this jackass to get banned.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you made this thread with the sole purpose of turning it into a trollish "I hate Americans" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did not. I am not the one talking saying things like "OK - tell me where you live - wiping out whatever country educated a moran like you strikes me as a good idea." You and other people messed this thread up, not me. If the thread does not intrest you, then don't bother even reading it, yet alone making crappy replys.

Trying to talk about things in OOT, lol, what a waste of time it is.....

swede123 07-18-2006 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people do, not everyone is like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't care

[/ QUOTE ]

Degen,

I don't care about our apathy!

Swede

ohead 07-18-2006 10:25 AM

Censorship on TV is just [censored] pointless. I dont see no god damn censorship like this in Sweden and we arent exacly suffering from it.

econophile 07-18-2006 10:27 AM

OP, ever watch HBO?

aeest400 07-18-2006 10:29 AM

OP appears to need a more nuanced approach to free speech. Below is a good place to start. I would be surprised if OP's country has as developed a tradition of free speech. Just cause we don't show boobs or say fu*k on tv doesn't mean we don't have freedom of specch. E.g., more leanient liable laws in the UK, not allowed to wear head scarves in France, etc. Swearing on TV is not the alpha and omega of free speech.

primer on American law and free speech

bobman0330 07-18-2006 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP appears to need a more nuanced approach to free speech. Below is a good place to start. I would be surprised if OP's country has as developed a tradition of free speech. Just cause we don't show boobs or say fu*k on tv doesn't mean we don't have freedom of specch. E.g., more leanient liable laws in the UK, not allowed to wear head scarves in France, etc. Swearing on TV is not the alpha and omega of free speech.

primer on American law and free speech

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to blame him. Most of these foreign types are pretty new to civil liberties. How can you expect them to really have a grasp on what's important? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, ever watch HBO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the channel itself (I am in Europe) but I seen alot of shows from there, like Bullsh*t. Even there they can't say some things, beacuse they are afraid of getting suied. I think it is horrible when they do not say ceritan things beacuse it could cost them money, or they tape over logos beacuse it does not bring them money. Some programs are full of it. Like the hats/shirts of WPT for example.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 10:50 AM

I did study media communication in high school for three years, I think I do know a thing or two how the media world works.

guids 07-18-2006 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did study media communication in high school for three years, I think I do know a thing or two how the media world works.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha...ya, Im sure a high school communications class taught you a ton about hte real world. HAHAHAHA

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 11:02 AM

Atleast I know more than an average Joe like you ever will. And it was not just a class... Do some of you retards have nothing else to do than try to flame people all day?

acoustix 07-18-2006 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you made this thread with the sole purpose of turning it into a trollish "I hate Americans" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did not. I am not the one talking saying things like "OK - tell me where you live - wiping out whatever country educated a moran like you strikes me as a good idea." You and other people messed this thread up, not me. If the thread does not intrest you, then don't bother even reading it, yet alone making crappy replys.

Trying to talk about things in OOT, lol, what a waste of time it is.....

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I was interested in the thread until you derailed it and started mindlessly bashing Americans. We don't all agree with our president and his actions. If YOU weren't so closed-minded, you might see that.

Why watch American TV shows if yours are so far superior anyway? If you want raunchy language and boobies on TV, then pony up the extra money for HBO or Skinimax.

guids 07-18-2006 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Atleast I know more than an average Joe like you ever will. And it was not just a class... Do some of you retards have nothing else to do than try to flame people all day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I am smarter than you. I went to an EXPENSIVE private High School, seeing as High Schools are the end all of intelligence, I win. Moran.

MyMindIsGoing 07-18-2006 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, I am smarter than you. I went to an EXPENSIVE private High School, seeing as High Schools are the end all of intelligence, I win. Moran.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see now, you are God. The more you pay for education the better person you are, clearly. LOL, thank you for once again confirming how stupid people are.

guids 07-18-2006 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see now, you are God. The more you pay for education the better person you are, clearly. LOL, thank you for once again confirming how stupid people are.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont seem to sense the sarcasm in my posts. You are the one that stated your credentials by citing your High school communications class, which I thought was hilarious. This whole little exchange was to get you to realize that High school is a joke, and becuase you took a few classes doesnt mean you are Stephen Hawkings. Ya dig? And you are NO WHERE NEAR as smart as you think you are.

Swiitch 07-18-2006 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic