Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   It it final yet? Chip Reese 2006 WSOP $50K H.O.R.S.E Champ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=162420)

Flight_Risk 07-15-2006 12:25 PM

It it final yet? Chip Reese 2006 WSOP $50K H.O.R.S.E Champ

Go Chip! Maybe finally we'll get some more up to date printed info on this guy.

Flight_Risk

i am run 07-15-2006 12:26 PM

Re: It it final yet? Chip Reese 2006 WSOP $50K H.O.R.S.E Champ

Next Up.. the Main Event for Chip...

Flight_Risk 07-15-2006 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chip Reese earns the gold bracelet and $1,716,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

Flight_Risk

trying2learn 07-15-2006 12:31 PM

similar to a guy named 'moneymaker' winning in '03, poker couldn't have scripted this win better. (well, maybe doyle or ivey).

reese winning the first $50k h.o.r.s.e. tourney is going to catapult it to the "new" granddaddy event even faster.

obviously, the main event will always be huge due to the prize pool alone...but the 'best player in the world' title will go to the winner of this bracelet year after year from here on out.

Flight_Risk 07-15-2006 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
similar to a guy named 'moneymaker' winning in '03, poker couldn't have scripted this win better. (well, maybe doyle or ivey).

reese winning the first $50k h.o.r.s.e. tourney is going to catapult it to the "new" granddaddy event even faster.

obviously, the main event will always be huge due to the prize pool alone...but the 'best player in the world' title will go to the winner of this bracelet year after year from here on out.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true. It's also fitting than he [Chip] has long been recognized as the Best Overall PLayer in the World to this date and he is the one who won it.

Flight_Risk

Overdrive 07-15-2006 12:38 PM

Chip doesn't play many tournaments. He said he is only going to play the H.O.R.S.E. event and the main event this year. He is the consummate professional. There is no one better. Period.

i am run 07-15-2006 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true. It's also fitting than he [Chip] has long been recognized as the Best Overall PLayer in the World to this date and he is the one who won it.

Flight_Risk

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Lawman007 07-15-2006 12:42 PM

That's great. I was hoping Chip would win it. Is this his first bracelet?

MyMindIsGoing 07-15-2006 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's great. I was hoping Chip would win it. Is this his first bracelet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, 3rd.

Tornado69 07-15-2006 12:49 PM

3rd bracelet, he won a 7 card stud and stud hi/lo in the late 70's.

sheetsworld 07-15-2006 12:55 PM

so sick...

In chess they gave performance ratings based upon the level of compeition you played in a tournament....

suffice it to say this is some seeeeerious owneage.

sheets

Flight_Risk 07-15-2006 12:59 PM

Especially when you consider:

Sat Jul 15 06:25:00 PDT 2006
Updated Chip Counts
1. Andy Bloch 6,055,000

2. Chip Reese 1,095,000

Wow.

Flight_Risk

benza13 07-15-2006 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially when you consider:

Sat Jul 15 06:25:00 PDT 2006
Updated Chip Counts
1. Andy Bloch 6,055,000

2. Chip Reese 1,095,000

Wow.

Flight_Risk

[/ QUOTE ]

This must make it all the more sweet for Chip, if thats possible. This is a perfect ending to the premier event in this years WSOP.

kumarshah 07-15-2006 01:23 PM

Thats an amazing comeback.

gobboboy 07-15-2006 01:43 PM

Yeah, all it takes is sucking out a few times. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cap108 07-15-2006 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, all it takes is sucking out a few times. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Andy got it all in with the chip lead as a 70% (Reese hit his gutshot) and 55% (Reese made his flush) favorite, and once as a 40-60 dog (when he had a 6-1 lead). Let's not go around thinking Reese didn't get extremely lucky to win this thing.

Overdrive 07-15-2006 02:11 PM

And Andy got very lucky to make it to the final table and to heads up play with Chip.

Jourdain 07-15-2006 02:19 PM

Anyone who witnessed this event will never forget it. The play will be indelibly marked on the memories of the onlookers, the officials and especially the players. The professionals wanted a big buyin event to prove who is the best in the world, and wanted a very slow structure for the final table. Well, the record-breaking heads-up certainly provided that. Chip Reese spent much of the heads-up battle playing from behind, but the overnight chip leader has remarkable reserves of stamina and resilience. You can certainly say the same for Andy Bloch, but at the most crucial moments Chip Reese had the rub of the felt. You cannot win this event just by being lucky. You arguably have to be the most skilful player in the world to survive the 6 disciplines. Chip Reese, you have the world at your feet - we salute you.

http://gallery.pokerpages.com/galler...ese_Winner.jpg

MaddHatter 07-15-2006 02:22 PM

My hats off to him - I wanted Ivey to win but Chip definately deserved it

cap108 07-15-2006 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Andy got very lucky to make it to the final table and to heads up play with Chip.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well sure. Everyone at that final table got lucky at some point in the tournament to make it there. That's a given for any tournament. I was just specifically talking about the heads-up match. I think Chip is a fantastic player, but I wanted to give Andy his due. I think he played the whole final table extremely well, and when it got heads up he played even better. And then he got very unlucky to lose all three all in hands like that.

Whitewash 07-15-2006 02:38 PM

Chip deserves the recognition, even if he doesn't care about it.

He isn't a NLHE player in the slightest, so to just hold on the chip lead for the win at the final table is an accomplishment.

Honest Iago 07-15-2006 03:22 PM

"He isn't a NLHE player in the slightest"

Are you kidding? All of the big mixed games involve NLHE. I'm sure Chip Reece can play every type of poker at a world class level.

Whitewash 07-15-2006 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? All of the big mixed games involve NLHE. I'm sure Chip Reece can play every type of poker at a world class level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually NLHE is probably part of the rotation of the Big Game probably less than 25% of the time.

How much do you actually know about high stakes mixed games?

Quicksilvre 07-15-2006 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually NLHE is probably part of the rotation of the Big Game probably less than 25% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you know about high stakes mixed games? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Looking at Danny N's blog, it seems that NLHE is usually there, and Barry Greenstein rates Chip's no-limit game as almost equal to his limit game. (He does rank his tournament abilities a good bit lower than his cash game abilities, though.)

In any case, it's very very impressive to mostly move out of tournament play for 25 years, and then win a tournament as power-packed and significant as this one.

Mike Jett 07-15-2006 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you know about what games he excels in?

I think you're talking out your ass, rather loudly.

neverforgetlol 07-15-2006 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his best game is stud by far, from what i know. it's mentioned in super system also.

bottomset 07-15-2006 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his best game is stud by far, from what i know. it's mentioned in super system also.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but that doesn't mean he's not a world class nlhe player

neverforgetlol 07-15-2006 04:12 PM

i know, i'm sure he's great in all games. certainly didn't hurt to have 3 stud games in the tourney though.

Lawman007 07-15-2006 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Andy got it all in with the chip lead as a 70% (Reese hit his gutshot) and 55% (Reese made his flush) favorite, and once as a 40-60 dog (when he had a 6-1 lead). Let's not go around thinking Reese didn't get extremely lucky to win this thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? You have to have the cards fall your way to win a tournament. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to us.

Lawman007 07-15-2006 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know, i'm sure he's great in all games. certainly didn't hurt to have 3 stud games in the tourney though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy played no limit hold em all night long with some of the best no limit hold em players in the world and kicked their asses. End of discussion.

Whitewash 07-15-2006 04:49 PM

No one is freaking discrediting Chip.

pvn 07-15-2006 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one is freaking discrediting Chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one... except YOU:

[ QUOTE ]
He isn't a NLHE player in the slightest

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurwood Derby 07-15-2006 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He isn't a NLHE player in the slightest, so to just hold on the chip lead for the win at the final table is an accomplishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.caribbeanart.com/art/j-portrait-donkey.jpg

Whitewash 07-15-2006 05:09 PM

Im sorry that to you guys, NLHE = all poker, and not being a NLHE player = being a bad poker player.

There aren't more than 2 guys I can think of being more "deserving" of winning this than Chip. Go read back my previous posts if you think Im discrediting him.

Lawman007 07-15-2006 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.caribbeanart.com/art/j-portrait-donkey.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

HEE HAW! LOL

I think it's Whitewash who, to use his own words about Chip, "isn't a NLHE player in the slightest." LOL

I wonder how long he would have lasted at that final table. LMAO

Whitewash 07-15-2006 05:24 PM

Yawn.

Any other trolls who haven't been reading my posts up until that want to chime in now?

Yuv 07-15-2006 05:42 PM

Are we doing this again? Chip is the best mixed game player in the world because he excels in all Stud games, Omaha and LHE. He is obviously a brilliant poker mind that can also play NLH to the highest level, but he isn't among the best of the best in NLH.

All these posts hint that you guys think NLH is the only game out there. The "Hee haw" comments should be pointed at a slightly different direction. Poker wasn't invented in 2003 and NLH isn't exactly the most importent game for a player like Chip.

Again, cardplayer updates can't bring the full picture, but from reading those, any decent player can understand that Bloch had the upper hand in the HU battle.
Reese wasn't "outclassed", but he was a slight underdog going in and it showed in their style of play. The worn out cliche of playing small ball poker is quite silly, when Andy was winning the majority of these small pots due to his preflop aggression and cont bets. Reese limped to over 80% of the pots and usually paid the price. He needed 4 double ups to win this, while Andy was never all in the entire 346 hours they played, up till the last hand.

And let me remind you, they started the HU with equal stacks. The way that HU unfolded, I have no doubt that Andy is at least a slight fav in a NL HU match against Reese (and just to emphasize, ONLY in NL HU matches, not in any other form of poker).

Whitewash 07-15-2006 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All these posts hint that you guys think NLH is the only game out there. The "Hee haw" comments should be pointed at a slightly different direction. Poker wasn't invented in 2003 and NLH isn't exactly the most importent game for a player like Chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A_C_Slater 07-15-2006 05:59 PM

"One of the nice things about being a professional gambler is that there's no politics. In business you can work for a big firm, and not only do you have to be good at your job, you have to put up with the political [censored]. You have to play the game and hope to catch the right break to get your promotion. Things other than your talent can keep you from going to the top.

In gambling, that's not the case. In gambling you control your destiny. There's fluctuation, but fluctuation means nothing. You know that from probability. The right answer will come about. There are traps and things like that, so you can get sidetracked. But gambling is one of the purest forms of professional endeavor, where you can rise to the top solely on your talent. If you're the best you'll get there" -- Chip Reese 2002

bottomset 07-15-2006 06:08 PM

saying he's not a NLHE player in the slightest, when he still plays at very high level is crazy

saying its not his best game is fine, he's an expert stud player

[ QUOTE ]
I have no doubt that Andy is at least a slight fav in a NL HU match against Reese

[/ QUOTE ]

you are basing this off of a 250ish hand sample, in an extremely high variance form of poker