Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Israel's Attack on Lebanon and Hezbollah (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=160680)

BluffTHIS! 07-13-2006 06:46 AM

Israel\'s Attack on Lebanon and Hezbollah

As the news reports, Israel in response to Hezbollah attacks on Israeli soil has attacked not only Hezbollah positions, but also the Beirut international airport. Of course Lebanon is protesting mightlily and spouting threats of retaliation that it can't back up.

Lebanon purports to be a sovereign country, and of course only recently has rid itself of Syrian troops. But it cannot maintain that Israel's attacks are wrong when it fails to act against Hezbollah itself. When Israel invaded in 1982 it was during the middle of the Lebanese civil war when there wasn't an effective central government. But now there is. So that means they are responsible for attacks launched from their soil.

If they tacitly support such attacks on Israel, then of course they have to expect to pay the price. But even if they don't, it is their responsibility to deal with stopping those attacks and if they are unable or unwilling, then again they have to expect Israeli reprisals. And that is going to include the logistical pipeline Hezbollah uses which includes the airport.

So either Lebanon needs to take responsiblity if it supports the Hezbollah attacks on Israel, or take action against Hezbollah itself to stop them. And if it lacks the military means to do so, then then Israel is going to do it for them, with more loss of civilian lives than if the Lebanese government took responsiblity for setting its own house in order.

TaintedRogue 07-13-2006 07:12 AM

Re: Israel\'s Attack on Lebanon and Hezbollah

And the Jews can do it. The Jewish Mafia has been able to maintain a strong foothold in the diamond, publishing & media industries in the U.S., while remaining under the radar.

The only time I can remember the Jewish Mafia being portrayed on T.V., is in the weekly show Hill Street Blues, and then, they were just one of several different gangs assembled at the station house and had no lines. Just two Jews, sitting amongst the Irish, Italian, Puerto Rican Mobs.

All we need to do, is fail to support Israel 100% and the Jewish Mob in the U.S. can rain havoc in the U.S. unlike any terrorist organization.

ACPlayer 07-13-2006 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All we need to do, is fail to support Israel 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with this and ignore the rest of your rant.

Our support (financial, logistic, diplomatic) for Israel should be 0 percent so we can finally end the war on terror.

SNOWBALL 07-13-2006 08:34 AM

So if the Israeli air force bombs an apartment complex in Ramallah, then its ok for hamas to bomb the tel-aviv airport?

TaintedRogue 07-13-2006 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if the Israeli air force bombs an apartment complex in Ramallah, then its ok for hamas to bomb the tel-aviv airport?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we should let them fight to the death and whoever wins gets all the land.

niss 07-13-2006 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if Israel doesn't have any weapons except what it gets from another country, and those weapons come in by air, then wouldn't it make sense to make the airport unusuable and staunch the flow of weapons into that terrorist nation?

TaintedRogue 07-13-2006 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if Israel doesn't have any weapons except what it gets from another country, and those weapons come in by air, then wouldn't it make sense to make the airport unusuable and staunch the flow of weapons into that terrorist nation?

[/ QUOTE ]

What?! Is there a rule book now.........they bombed an apt complex, so here are my 6 choices for retaliation?

The rest of the world needs to step aside and let the two countries settle the matter on their own. When they run out of guns, they can fight with knives, and when they go dull, they can fight with fists, and when their knuckles are too sore, they can throw rocks. Just so long as they keep fighting until they are all dead.

morphball 07-13-2006 10:16 AM

Does any one think this is going to blow up, or do you think it will simmer down? Personally, I am suspicious that Isreal is over reacting to this in order to flare up a regional conflict and pull us into a mess that ultimately has us attacking Iranian nuclear facilities...

Meech 07-13-2006 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we should let them fight to the death and whoever wins gets all the land.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this how Israel got a large chunk of their land already? The Arabs have been whining about "their" land for how long now? How many failed attempts to take it back?

I like your idea though, although somehow I don't think you'd be happy with Israel getting ALL the land.

nicky g 07-13-2006 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

FlFishOn 07-13-2006 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And the Jews can do it. The Jewish Mafia has been able to maintain a strong foothold in the diamond, publishing & media industries in the U.S., while remaining under the radar.

The only time I can remember the Jewish Mafia being portrayed on T.V., is in the weekly show Hill Street Blues, and then, they were just one of several different gangs assembled at the station house and had no lines. Just two Jews, sitting amongst the Irish, Italian, Puerto Rican Mobs.

All we need to do, is fail to support Israel 100% and the Jewish Mob in the U.S. can rain havoc in the U.S. unlike any terrorist organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else see this as 'ignore' motivation? I admit I do it in very rare cases and mostly for noise reduction purposes but this is whack.

nicky g 07-13-2006 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As the news reports, Israel in response to Hezbollah attacks on Israeli soil has attacked not only Hezbollah positions, but also the Beirut international airport. Of course Lebanon is protesting mightlily and spouting threats of retaliation that it can't back up.

Lebanon purports to be a sovereign country, and of course only recently has rid itself of Syrian troops. But it cannot maintain that Israel's attacks are wrong when it fails to act against Hezbollah itself. When Israel invaded in 1982 it was during the middle of the Lebanese civil war when there wasn't an effective central government. But now there is. So that means they are responsible for attacks launched from their soil.

If they tacitly support such attacks on Israel, then of course they have to expect to pay the price. But even if they don't, it is their responsibility to deal with stopping those attacks and if they are unable or unwilling, then again they have to expect Israeli reprisals. And that is going to include the logistical pipeline Hezbollah uses which includes the airport.

So either Lebanon needs to take responsiblity if it supports the Hezbollah attacks on Israel, or take action against Hezbollah itself to stop them. And if it lacks the military means to do so, then then Israel is going to do it for them, with more loss of civilian lives than if the Lebanese government took responsiblity for setting its own house in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is dumb that Hizb Allah decided to get involved in this. While I sympathise with their desire to take a stand on the disgraceful plight of the Palestinians in Gaza and unresolved grivances with Israel, they are simply giving Israel justification to take the fight to them knowing that Lebanese civilians will suffer for it.

Never fear about Israel losing an opportunity to jump down from the moral high ground though. As usual it responds with utterly disproportionate force to the kidnapping and killing of a hand full of Israeli soldiers by launching attacks that have already killed 30 or so Lebanese civilians , promises to destroy Lebanese cvilian infrastructure, bomb Lebanon back decades and so on. No surprises there.

The problem with insisting that the Lebanese governemnt clean house is that Lebanon does not have a political system comparable to the typical nation state. It's government and politics consists of numerous ethno-clientelist groups that don't represent any sort of political project or majoritarian popular will, whose purpose is more to give official posts to representatives of various groups rather than carry out serious political projects; it is made up of a finely balanced mixture of community-based parties, and the government going after Hizb Allah would be perceived as some of these groups going after/interfering in the affairs of another one. They neither have the will nor the means to forcibly disarm Hizb Allah, and I doubt other regional players would permit such action anyway. At any rate, it is not the Lebanese government that Israel will make suffer for this, but Lebanese civilians.

DVaut1 07-13-2006 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else see this as 'ignore' motivation? I admit I do it in very rare cases and mostly for noise reduction purposes but this is whack.

[/ QUOTE ]

2p2 needs a note function similar to the poker sites, so I could cite "Tainted Rogue -- anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist donk". Then I wouldn't have to remember this stuff. I haven't ever ignored anyone here.

adios 07-13-2006 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is dumb that Hizb Allah decided to get involved in this. While I sympathise with their desire to take a stand on the disgraceful plight of the Palestinians in Gaza and unresolved grivances with Israel, they are simply giving Israel justification to take the fight to them knowing that Lebanese civilians will suffer for it.

Never fear about Israel losing an opportunity to jump down from the moral high ground though. As usual it responds with utterly disproportionate force to the kidnapping and killing of a hand full of Israeli soldiers by launching attacks that have already killed 30 or so Lebanese civilians , promises to destroy Lebanese cvilian infrastructure, bomb Lebanon back decades and so on. No surprises there.

The problem with insisting that the Lebanese governemnt clean house is that Lebanon does not have a political system comparable to the typical nation state. It's government and politics consists of numerous ethno-clientelist groups that don't represent any sort of political project or majoritarian popular will, whose purpose is more to give official posts to representatives of various groups rather than carry out serious political projects; it is made up of a finely balanced mixture of community-based parties, and the government going after Hizb Allah would be perceived as some of these groups going after/interfering in the affairs of another one. They neither have the will nor the means to forcibly disarm Hizb Allah, and I doubt other regional players would permit such action anyway. At any rate, it is not the Lebanese government that Israel will make suffer for this, but Lebanese civilians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb? How about criminal? Anyway what should Israel's response be? I'm guessing that you'll point out Israel's past trangressions and such. Not sure about the circumstances of the Palestinian prisoners whose release is being sought. I will say that Israel's response is being condemned by many governments and leaders. That's not new though and thus would hardly deter Israel at this point. Looks like those in Israel that were against the withdrawl in Gaza have scored political points big time in Israel. The roadmap to peace seems like a pipe dream at this point but could be convinced otherwise.

nicky g 07-13-2006 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb? How about criminal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps so. I don;t know that I'd qualify attacks on military targets as criminal, but it was the wrong thing to do, for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that you'll point out Israel's past trangressions and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, seeing as you're inviting me... certainly Hizb Allah is not the only actor in its conflict with Israel to have acted criminally. Israel's criminal actions don;t justify those of Hizballah though, nor vice-versa.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway what should Israel's response be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care what their response should be, more what about what reasonable limits they should be constrained by. Responding to a fairly minor incursion against military targets with a massive invasion, blockading the entire country, destroying civilian infrastructure, making threats of mass collective punishment, killing 30 civilians within 24 hours of the capture etc clearly goes far beyond any proportionate or humane limits of action.

niss 07-13-2006 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2p2 needs a note function similar to the poker sites, so I could cite "Tainted Rogue -- anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist donk". Then I wouldn't have to remember this stuff. I haven't ever ignored anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Tainted Rogue is right. I am a member of what we Jews call the "Cosa Nosh-tra". While I am happy to be involved planning both Jewish domination of the media and our global search for loose change, I really go for the bagels and lox.

nicky g 07-13-2006 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. Normally I force myself not to as it seems an easy way out of dealing with opposing points of view, however dumb. But his posts in this thread take the biscuit.

EagleHasLanded 07-13-2006 12:20 PM

Afghanistan was mainly run by the Taliban which supported the terrorist organizatoin Al Queda. After 9/11 we go in with overwhelming support and replace the government by force.

Lebanon is heavily influenced (if not run by) Hezbollah which is a terrorist organization itself. So since they only attack Israel and no other country we should not try to replace the government and get rid of terrorists.

Grrrreeeaaat Logic

jokerthief 07-13-2006 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is dumb that Hizb Allah decided to get involved in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not dumb at all. Hezbollah is nothing but a proxy force for Iran and Syria. Now the upcoming G8 summit will be diverted from talking about Iran's nuclear program to this conflict. Syria benefits by Israel destabilizing Lebanon's government too. This is a way for them to reassert control over Lebanon by intimidation. Since they don't have their military in Lebanon anymore they have to use their proxy army to provoke Israel into striking Lebanon. Lebanon is powerless to do anything about Hezbollah or Israel's attacks on their own so Syria has a way to hold them hostage and can impose their influence.

TaintedRogue 07-13-2006 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really care what their response should be, more what about what reasonable limits they should be constrained by. Responding to a fairly minor incursion against military targets with a massive invasion, blockading the entire country, destroying civilian infrastructure, making threats of mass collective punishment, killing 30 civilians within 24 hours of the capture etc clearly goes far beyond any proportionate or humane limits of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? Look man, there is some damn nice waterfront property on both sides of the border. Let them wipe each other out and we'll seize the territory and grab some nice waterfront property for winter vacationing on the cheap.

nicky g 07-13-2006 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hezbollah is nothing but a proxy force for Iran and Syria.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. I don;t see how it could be a proxy force for both a theocratic Shi'i Islamist regime and a secular Baathist regime at the same time, even if they are aligned on some international issues. Certainly it receives some support from both regimes. But Hizballah came into being as a resistance to the Israeli occupation of Lebanon, aided but by no means formed by the Iranians. It is ideologically close to Khomeinist thinking and it receives some help from the Syrians. But it is no mor a purely proxy force than the Falange was a purely proxy force for Israel; it has its own base, popularity, local demands etc.

Your analysis is interesting and perhaps partly correct. But by dumb I meant more unjustified/going to lead to bad things for little gain/I disapprove of it (stick that in your pipe and smoke it, that, Hizb Allah)

wacki 07-13-2006 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don;t see how it could be a proxy force for both a theocratic Shi'i Islamist regime and a secular Baathist regime at the same time

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, and those "holy" muslim terrorists never kill innocent muslims...... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TaintedRogue 07-13-2006 01:11 PM

Re: Israel\'s Attack on Lebanon and Hezbollah *DELETED*

Post deleted by andyfox

jokerthief 07-13-2006 01:12 PM

It's common knowledge that Hezbollah gets it's funding and weapons from Iran and Syria. That means Iran and Syria have the power to influence what operations Hezbollah does and when they do it. Iran and Syria recently formed a cooperative diplomatic alliance after the US invaded Iraq. Both countries want to destabilize Israel and the US in the mideast. This conflict weakens the US and EU's ability to influence a democratic movement in Lebanon and to bring diplomatic pressure on Iran's nuclear program.

I'm not saying that Hezbollah doesn't have their own agenda. I'm saying that there are multiple games of chess going on in the middle east right now and we are currently seeing some pretty major moves.

Autocratic 07-13-2006 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lebanon purports to be a sovereign country

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonder how people can support some of Israel's more extreme actions, and then I heard statements like this, which apparently suggests that sovereignty is based on how much a nation's policies agree with Israel's, and I don't wonder anymore.

Fly 07-13-2006 01:17 PM

I like this quote.

[ QUOTE ]

I was summoned to see Ben-Gurion. It was the first time I met him, and right from the start Ben-Gurion said to me: "Let me first tell you one thing: it doesn't matter what the world says about Israel, it doesn't matter what they say about us anywhere else. The only thing that matters is that we can exist here on the land of our forefathers. And unless we show the Arabs that there is a high price to pay for murdering Jews, we won't survive."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Sharon

wacki 07-13-2006 01:18 PM

niki g, Iran is mentioned many times in this article.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../hizballah.htm

Hezbollah was established by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards who came to Lebanon during the 1982 "Peace for Galilee" war, as part of the policy of exporting the Islamic revolution. It receives substantial amounts of financial, training, weapons, explosives, political, diplomatic, and organizational aid from Iran and Syria.

Food for thought. I still have tons to learn on this matter.

Exsubmariner 07-13-2006 01:20 PM

Hold on to your hat.

This will give pretext to every nut with a suicide vest and a fundalmentalist programming. It's only the beginning. It goes down hill from here until somebody wins. My money is on Isreal.

Autocratic 07-13-2006 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold on to your hat.

This will give pretext to every nut with a suicide vest and a fundalmentalist programming. It's only the beginning. It goes down hill from here until somebody wins. My money is on Isreal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If reckless Israeli aggression always brought about cataclysmic wars, we'd have had several in the past decade, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yuv 07-13-2006 01:53 PM

Hizballah has lighten up a rather quite front with the killing of 8 Israeli soldiers and the kidnapping of two more soldiers still in captivity in Lebanon.

The Israeli response is an attempt to restore the deterrence factor that kept that border quite for the past couple of years. Israel is only responding to attacks by Hizballah.

I do not agree with some of the policies my government had taken twords Gaza and the West Bank probably since 1967, but this is beside the point. This escalade in the Lebanon border is entirely Hizballah's (a terrorist organization that has taken control of Lebanon since it's so called independence from Syria) fault.

The two missiles fired at Haifa, the 3rd largest city in Israel which is 40 km's from the border, will probably result in Israeli forces shutting down all powers to Beirut and blacking out the Lebanon capital.

Very sad that the events took a turn like this, but while there are justify criticism of Israeli policies twords Gaza, there is seriously nothing Israel could have done differently in Lebanon and every other nation would have reacted in the same way.

bobman0330 07-13-2006 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonder how people can support some of Israel's more extreme actions, and then I heard statements like this, which apparently suggests that sovereignty is based on how much a nation's policies agree with Israel's, and I don't wonder anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bluff's doubts about Lebanon's real sovereignty come more from it being run by Syria for the past 20 years than from its failure to fall in with Israel.

In any case, I think this is a terrible move by Israel given the progress that Lebanon has made in the past 18 months. The goal should be lessening the influence extremists have in Lebanon, not driving the government into their arms.

Clayton 07-13-2006 03:17 PM

http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/3...msockem0ux.jpg

Autocratic 07-13-2006 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bluff's doubts about Lebanon's real sovereignty come more from it being run by Syria for the past 20 years than from its failure to fall in with Israel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their sovereignty could have been brought into question when Syria held the real power in the country - even then, however, Israel could not use Syria's control over Lebanese government to assert that it has the right to be aggressive towards Lebanon.

jman220 07-13-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who wish to learn more about the Jewish Mafia, rather than bury their heads in the sand:

http://www.theunjustmedia.com/jew%20...ed%20crime.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised you didn't throw up a link to jew watch or mein kampf. Congratulations, you have now pulled ahead of Peter666 in the race to see who the biggest anti-semite on these boards is.

jman220 07-13-2006 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or... he could be saying that Lebanon is just a puppet regime for Syria, which it is... I don't think anyone really disagrees on this point? Do you remember who killed the former lebanese prime minister a few months ago? Hint: It wasn't the Israelis.

TaintedRogue 07-13-2006 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who wish to learn more about the Jewish Mafia, rather than bury their heads in the sand:

http://www.theunjustmedia.com/jew%20...ed%20crime.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised you didn't throw up a link to jew watch or mein kampf. Congratulations, you have now pulled ahead of Peter666 in the race to see who the biggest anti-semite on these boards is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an anti-semite, I just don't have any use for them, or the Lebanese.

irvman21 07-13-2006 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this quote.

[ QUOTE ]

I was summoned to see Ben-Gurion. It was the first time I met him, and right from the start Ben-Gurion said to me: "Let me first tell you one thing: it doesn't matter what the world says about Israel, it doesn't matter what they say about us anywhere else. The only thing that matters is that we can exist here on the land of our forefathers. And unless we show the Arabs that there is a high price to pay for murdering Jews, we won't survive."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Sharon

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a great quote and precisely the reason why a "disproportionate" response to each and every Arab incursion is necessary. Israel's neighbors would gladly trade the death of one of their citizens for the death of one of Israel's citizens.

irvman21 07-13-2006 04:11 PM

Has anyone on here been to Israel?

jman220 07-13-2006 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone on here been to Israel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have.

jman220 07-13-2006 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an anti-semite, I just don't have any use for them

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted in case you decide to go back and edit your post.