Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Jewish poker professionals (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=147679)

Courtesy Flush 06-26-2006 08:26 AM

Jewish poker professionals

I just found out that The Grinder is Israeli and it got me to thinking about how many other pros out there are fellow Jews that I wasn't aware of.

Help me complete this list. Forgive any misspellings.

Barry Greenstein
Howard Lederer
David Sklansky
Eli Elezera
Michael Mizrachi
Phil Gordon
Mike Matusow
Gabe Kaplan
Cory Zeidman

By the way, I'm refering to the ethnicity, not the religion, as I understand that a lot of these guys are atheists and such.

KSOT 06-26-2006 08:33 AM

Re: Jewish poker professionals

Doyle & Todd Brunson, Hoyt Corkins, Johny Chan.

Don Olney 06-26-2006 08:34 AM

David Levi ? The guy who was a pro soccer player at one time.

doc_1982 06-26-2006 08:37 AM

Phil Gordon? Really?

Tatarana 06-26-2006 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I'm refering to the ethnicity, not the religion

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Can you explain this ?

Courtesy Flush 06-26-2006 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Can you explain this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Israeli ancestory. For example, Barry G is a Jew, but he is also an atheist.

nation 06-26-2006 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Can you explain this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, how can he be a Jew and an atheist? Jew implies following the Jewish religion. If you mean from Israel in ancestry then I follow you.

Courtesy Flush 06-26-2006 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Can you explain this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, how can he be a Jew and an atheist? Jew implies following the Jewish religion. If you mean from Israel in ancestry then I follow you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be used either way, a lot of people are confused about that.

Jew ( P ) Pronunciation Key (j)
n.
1 - An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture.
2 - A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism.
3 - A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.

Tatarana 06-26-2006 09:02 AM

I know a woman whose parents were catholic and now she is converted.
Do you consider her as a Jew ? And her kids ?

Courtesy Flush 06-26-2006 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a woman whose parents were catholic and now she is converted.
Do you consider her as a Jew ? And her kids ?

[/ QUOTE ]

By religion yes, by ethnicity no. Can we drop this discussion now? It's very overdone and pointless.

Tatarana 06-26-2006 09:06 AM

Ok

Paul Levy 06-26-2006 09:09 AM

Mel Judah sounds like a good candidate?

Solami17 06-26-2006 09:20 AM

Lyle Berman

wisehandpoker 06-26-2006 09:25 AM

I have a lot of questions concerning god and ritual, but I still refer to myself as jewish because of my inclusion in the jewish community.

Is Nick Schulman jewish? I was thinking about the parallels between he and Ungar last night and the question came to mind.

El Ishmael 06-26-2006 09:28 AM

You missed a few of 2+2's very own mods.

El Ishmael 06-26-2006 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Schulman jewish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, let's see...

ElaineMonster 06-26-2006 09:31 AM

Ed Miller is Jewish by ethnicity, not religion. His mother is Jewish, he father is not. His wife is not.

SNOWBALL 06-26-2006 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

???
Can you explain this ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Barry's dad was born in america. Israel was created in 1948, so there's no way Barry has "Israeli ancestry."

*TT* 06-26-2006 09:34 AM

Mason Malmouth is an ethnic Jew. I recall being told Ed Miller is part Jewish too.

Count me in the list of ethnic Jews who are Atheist or Agnostic, sounds like a smart list to be on.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

doc_1982 06-26-2006 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about the parallels between he and Ungar last night and the question came to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far did you get?

Peter666 06-26-2006 09:37 AM

Sklansky is a Jew? Figures. Is Miller's mom "LittleOldLady" on these forums?

Courtesy Flush 06-26-2006 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

???
Can you explain this ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Barry's dad was born in america. Israel was created in 1948, so there's no way Barry has "Israeli ancestry."

[/ QUOTE ]

Israel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zr-l)

1 - An ancient kingdom of Palestine founded by Saul c. 1025 B.C. After 933 it split into the Northern Kingdom, or kingdom of Israel, and the kingdom of Judah to the south. Israel was overthrown by the Assyrians in 721.9

2 - A country of southwest Asia on the eastern Mediterranean Sea, etc... etc...

Although Hebrew would have been a more accurate word for me to have used.

waxie 06-26-2006 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mel Judah sounds like a good candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is Arab. Maybe Lebanese?

waxie 06-26-2006 09:54 AM

Parlahd Friedman?

The first name seems arabic to me, but the last name is pure Jew.

Also, Jews pwn!!%@$!!

wisehandpoker 06-26-2006 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about the parallels between he and Ungar last night and the question came to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Super aggressive 21-year olds who entered and won their second major tournaments (Ungar WSOP 1980, Schulman World Poker Final). Both are from New York, both played another game professionally before poker, both register pretty damn high on the IQ scale and if Nick's jewish, that could be a similar link.

btw, Schulman as a name doesn't make things automatic.

El Ishmael 06-26-2006 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Schulman as a name doesn't make things automatic

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

wisehandpoker 06-26-2006 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Schulman as a name doesn't make things automatic

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying it's not likely...:)

PartyGirlUK 06-26-2006 10:57 AM

http://www.pokerpoquer.com/upload/Im...ckschulman.jpg

Raging Yiddle.

Jonathan 06-26-2006 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Umm, how can he be a Jew and an atheist? Jew implies following the Jewish religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nation, what you says seems logical but it is historically
erroneous to think this way. Jew means your mother was
Jewish. In Germany in the 40's the Nazi stormtroopers
did not politely stop you on the street to ask you if you
fasted on Yom Kippur or had decided to become an atheist.
They threw you in the oven.

And so it has been for at least the last 2000 years.

Suerte,
Jonathan

Rootabager 06-26-2006 11:47 AM

What did N. Schulman play before poker?

wisehandpoker 06-26-2006 11:48 AM

pool

doc_1982 06-26-2006 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerpoquer.com/upload/Im...ckschulman.jpg

Raging Yiddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an interview attached to this picture? Link pls!

LittleOldLady 06-26-2006 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Parlahd Friedman?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Friedman is a German name. Many Jewish surnames (including mine) are German, shared with non-Jews of German descent. The vice-principal at my high school was Mr. Friedman, and he was as Pennsylvania Dutch as they come.

The three most common Jewish surnames in the United States are Cohen (and variants), Levy and variants, and Miller (who knew?). For the record Miller was my ex-husband's name, and the Millers were German Catholic (Mueller originally).

Anyway, since Jews are matrilineal, the surname, if inherited from the father, is irrelevant. Senator Cohen of Maine is not Jewish because his mother wasn't, even though his father was.

LittleOldLady 06-26-2006 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just found out that The Grinder is Israeli and it got me to thinking about how many other pros out there are fellow Jews that I wasn't aware of.

Help me complete this list. Forgive any misspellings.

Barry Greenstein
Howard Lederer
David Sklansky
Eli Elezera
Michael Mizrachi
Phil Gordon
Mike Matusow
Gabe Kaplan
Cory Zeidman

By the way, I'm refering to the ethnicity, not the religion, as I understand that a lot of these guys are atheists and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Howard Lederer is Jewish, then so is Annie Duke (if they have the same mother....).

Fly 06-26-2006 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Parlahd Friedman?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Friedman is a German name. Many Jewish surnames (including mine) are German, shared with non-Jews of German descent. The vice-principal at my high school was Mr. Friedman, and he was as Pennsylvania Dutch as they come.

The three most common Jewish surnames in the United States are Cohen (and variants), Levy and variants, and Miller (who knew?). For the record Miller was my ex-husband's name, and the Millers were German Catholic (Mueller originally).

Anyway, since Jews are matrilineal, the surname, if inherited from the father, is irrelevant. Senator Cohen of Maine is not Jewish because his mother wasn't, even though his father was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matrinlineal descent is a religious rule. It has nothing to do with ethnicity. If someone has only 1 parent of Jewish ancestry then he is half-jewish, half-other parent's ancestry. However, depending on which parent is Jewish this same person may be considered either a jew or a non-jew by religious Jews.

Yuv 06-26-2006 12:34 PM

Keep in mind that only a slight few are Israelis. The rest are jewish by heritage.

Eli Elezra (WPT winner, 4k/8k player), Eli Balas (2-times bracelet winner), David Levi (very solid tournament pro) & Rafi Amit (10k PLO bracelet winner) are all Israelis.

There a few others, like Asher Derei & Alex Kahaner (not a pro, but won over 1mil in the WPT legends of poker).

The grinder is not Israeli, his parents (or at least his father) are. He's jewish, that's for sure. There's a very good chance that to find an israeli heritage in the Phil Gordon type jews, you'll have to go back a millennium or two.

LittleOldLady 06-26-2006 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky is a Jew? Figures. Is Miller's mom "LittleOldLady" on these forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and for the record, I am a Jew, and therefore my son Edward is a Jew. I do not believe that there is a God, and as far as I know, neither does my son. But Judaism as a religion is not a belief--it is a practice. To be a practicing Jew it is not necessary to believe in anything, including the existence of a divine creator(although probably most practicing Jews do so believe). To be an observant Jew it is only necessary to obey the laws of Judaism and to guide one's life by its ethical principles. The various forms of Judaism differ as to how the laws are to be observed, but all adhere to the Jewish system of ethics. Technically Judaism can be described as ethical monotheism.

To go back to Jews and poker, Alvarez tells an story of Gabe Kaplan and Dolly Brunson observing at the final table of the WSOP. As it happened at that point 3 Jews and 3 Texans were all who remained. So Gabe and Dolly made a bet as to whether one of Gabe's people would win or one of Dolly's. Gabe won the bet, and Stu Ungar won the bracelet.

(BTW it is possible to be both a Jew and Texan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Basilvdk 06-26-2006 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(BTW it is possible to be both a Jew and Texan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Thus Kinky Friedman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good post, though. Judaism takes on many forms: A religion, an Ethnicity, and a culture. For many people, Judaism is more of a cultural identity than it is a true belief system. I, myself, strongly identify as culturally Jewish, but only weakly as religiously Jewish.

Peter666 06-26-2006 12:45 PM

An ethnic Jew and an expert on Kristin Lavransdatter. Well, now we know which side of the family Ed gets the brains from.

06-26-2006 12:51 PM

Phil Ivey?