Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Nerdiest things you have ever done (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=133238)

pr0crast 06-08-2006 01:48 AM

Nerdiest things you have ever done

1) I just had an argument with my roommate over the pronounciation of "chocobo"
2) In may when I was wondering wtf species of bug was infesting my room I took a picture of it and posted it in OOT instead of calling the bugman or talking to a real human being

Ron Burgundy 06-08-2006 01:50 AM

Re: Nerdiest things you have ever done

[ QUOTE ]
2) In may when I was wondering wtf species of bug was infesting my room I took a picture of it and posted it in OOT instead of calling the bugman or talking to a real human being

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

Andrew Karpinski 06-08-2006 01:51 AM

I got a [censored] once while playing starcraft. That may not be nerdy...

but I got so into the game that I went soft.

CallMeIshmael 06-08-2006 02:10 AM

linky for you

Synur 06-08-2006 02:17 AM

I waited in line for over 12 hours to see Episode 1. I want my time back!

Kratzer 06-08-2006 02:22 AM

i decided to be a math major

Phoenix1010 06-08-2006 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I've had this argument with multiple roomates. Sadly, that's not even close to the nerdiest thing I've ever done.

By the way, it's clearly choe-kuh-boe.

pokergrader 06-08-2006 02:33 AM

Won multiple programming contests in college.

BrunoThePug 06-08-2006 02:34 AM

Kinda Nerdy:

Rather than spend the 30 seconds to fill out and add up my paper timesheet I wrote a PHP script where I could enter all of my hours and have it calculate everything and spit out the form.

More Nerdy:
I wrote it in vi over ssh.

Very Nerdy:
I started storing the info in a database so I could run silly reports every once and a while. I also started making it send me e-mails about how many hours I had during a pay period and how much I was going to be paid.

If I hadn't done it all hackjobed and procedural I might have something useful on my hands. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

matt2500 06-08-2006 02:51 AM

I participated in user testing of an Infocom game. It was in the guise of a contest - three-people teams in an all-night game playing contest, first team to solve the game won some kind of prize or other. Lead programmer was there, taking notes on where everyone got hopelessly stuck, to find out where they needed to give more clues.

Yes, I realize this dates me terribly.

EscapePlan9 06-08-2006 02:55 AM

Beaten every stage in NES' game Yo Noid! tieing the world records.

beenben 06-08-2006 03:23 AM

how I got my screenname / nickname, signing off of a report for AHighSchool TV station:

"For (AHSTV) this has been Ben (last name)."

runner4life7 06-08-2006 04:08 AM

jacked off to my lvl 60 female human mage

Vehn 06-08-2006 04:18 AM

I wrote a massive and eventually bug filed blackjack program on my TI85 and charged people in my high school $1 to copy it from me.

Scotty. 06-08-2006 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I've had this argument with multiple roomates. Sadly, that's not even close to the nerdiest thing I've ever done.

[/ QUOTE ]

We always pronounced it koo-kah-boo

Synur 06-08-2006 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics!

buriedbeds 06-08-2006 10:56 AM

When I first learned how to long divide (3rd/4th grade-ish) I took a bunch of sheets of paper, stapled them together until I they combined to the length of my living room. I then wrote some digit, then a long division sign with numbers that reached to the end of the sheet, and divided the gigantic, multiple-sheet number by the first number. I stapled pieces of paper going down diagonally to do the work. I did this multiple times. By my senior year in highschool I was no longer particularly interested in math, however.

-bb.

Jack of Arcades 06-08-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We always pronounced it koo-kah-boo

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is clearly wrong. Play FF X.

wisehandpoker 06-08-2006 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Power is an aphrodisiac

meccaNES 06-08-2006 11:04 AM

taught myself to a near master level of chess in less than about a year and a half (probably was strong enough but never got the rating...i beat a ton of local master shameless shameless brag)...for the sole reason that i didn't have anything better to do...sad...

Mrs. Utah 06-08-2006 11:08 AM

I bowl in a league-I am not sure where this would fall on a nerd meter. People seem to be divided on the nerdiness of this.

quickfetus 06-08-2006 11:24 AM

Ok,

After beating an International Master (my 5th straight win after a 0.5/4 start) to propel myself into the money at the 2005 World Open Chess Tournament, (shameless brag) I sprinted to my room at top speed. Blissfully unaware of my dozing roommate, I began to yell at the top of my lungs and pound my chest forcefully.

CourtesyFlush 06-08-2006 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
taught myself to a near master level of chess in less than about a year and a half (probably was strong enough but never got the rating...i beat a ton of local master shameless shameless brag)...for the sole reason that i didn't have anything better to do...sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

total brag post

cool avatar though

CourtesyFlush 06-08-2006 01:24 PM

If anyone has done this they will be the winner.

oddjob 06-08-2006 01:26 PM

in jr. high school, i was in a dungeons and dragons club.

offTopic 06-08-2006 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in jr. high school, i was in a dungeons and dragons club.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read through most of the AD&D resource material as a homework avoidance measure duing a couple years of my undergrad, to where I had a good understanding of the game, the creatures, the races, etc.

I've never played.

Guyon 06-08-2006 01:43 PM

I asked someone what "Metallica" meant.

I was 10 and the oldest family member, so I had no exposure to music.

WiltOnTilt 06-08-2006 01:49 PM

I was a Wizard (admin/developer) on a MUD during highschool and college.

KoW

prohornblower 06-08-2006 01:53 PM

Back in 7th grade I was in PSR and we were supposed to do a certain amount of community service.

I chose to dress up as the Easter bunny and hand out candy to kids in some new neighborhood with my PSR teacher. At one point during the day, some older punks came out to their front yard and yelled "Hey Easter Bunny!" and began giving me and my PSR teacher the ol' pelvic-thrusts.

It was pretty embarassing. That was a poor decision. I hate to have regrets..but damn. I'd like to have taken a mulligan on that one.

neuroman 06-08-2006 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder what percentage of World of Warcraft players have masturbated to the game. I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

jason_t 06-08-2006 01:57 PM

In my first semester of college, I was taking Calculus III for honors students (this means it was the normal Calculus III material, but with more emphasis on proofs instead of computations) at 8 AM. The morning of the first midterm, I was taking my sister to school and got in a car accident. I didn't get to class until 8:45 AM. I apologized to the professor for arriving late, told him what happened and asked if I could still take the exam. He said yes, but that I had until 9:00 AM like everyone else. A few minutes before 9:00 AM I turned in my exam (and most of the class was still working) having solved every problem as well as the "challenge problem." Early that afternoon I got an email from the professor asking me to go see him. I went and saw him and he handed me an already filled out form with my name, student number, etc. to declare mathematics as my major. He told me it would be a huge error for me to not sign it and turn it in to the registrar's office. I did just that and in my second year I was taking graduate level courses.

indczn 06-08-2006 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bowl in a league-I am not sure where this would fall on a nerd meter. People seem to be divided on the nerdiness of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bowl on the ASU bowling team, I'm not that nerdy [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

stabn 06-08-2006 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

In high school i ran a multi line BBS.

miajag 06-08-2006 02:17 PM

I went to Homecoming in high school one year with a girl I met on the Internet. Not too uncommon now, but this was in like 1998.

Gildwulf 06-08-2006 02:18 PM

Online text-based roleplaying games

Gildwulf 06-08-2006 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?

Gildwulf 06-08-2006 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my first semester of college, I was taking Calculus III for honors students (this means it was the normal Calculus III material, but with more emphasis on proofs instead of computations) at 8 AM. The morning of the first midterm, I was taking my sister to school and got in a car accident. I didn't get to class until 8:45 AM. I apologized to the professor for arriving late, told him what happened and asked if I could still take the exam. He said yes, but that I had until 9:00 AM like everyone else. A few minutes before 9:00 AM I turned in my exam (and most of the class was still working) having solved every problem as well as the "challenge problem." Early that afternoon I got an email from the professor asking me to go see him. I went and saw him and he handed me an already filled out form with my name, student number, etc. to declare mathematics as my major. He told me it would be a huge error for me to not sign it and turn it in to the registrar's office. I did just that and in my second year I was taking graduate level courses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awesome story; I wish I was that excited about something school/career-related

Case Closed 06-08-2006 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes you a genius, not a nerd. Very impressive though.

emon87 06-08-2006 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I first learned how to long divide (3rd/4th grade-ish) I took a bunch of sheets of paper, stapled them together until I they combined to the length of my living room. I then wrote some digit, then a long division sign with numbers that reached to the end of the sheet, and divided the gigantic, multiple-sheet number by the first number. I stapled pieces of paper going down diagonally to do the work. I did this multiple times. By my senior year in highschool I was no longer particularly interested in math, however.

-bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do this too

Case Closed 06-08-2006 02:28 PM

The period when I was addicted to playing Diablo II was the Nerdiest period in my life. I would play all day and think about it non-stop when I was at school. Draw pictures of my charachters and think about what I would do for trades and stuff. I had two other friends who would play with me. There were other people who were casual players who I talked to about it every once and a while. But that game consumed my life, which is why I will never play WoW.