Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=127905)

adamx 06-01-2006 05:28 PM

NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem???

(I'm a long time poster who is obv posting under a gimmick)

Anyone have any advice on what I should do right now...I'm a recent college grad who is about to quit his 2nd job out of college...completely burned out on working, no interest in working/no interest in making lots of money/no interest in starting relationships (friend or romantic), etc...

I'm content with doing absolutely nothing but this is only b/c nothing interests me whatsoever.

I've thought about post-undergrad education...don't know what I would study...I'm sure I would do well but be in the same predicament after I finish with that...

I've thought about joining the military b/c I am somewhat of a sociopath...I really have no emotions and bottle tons of [censored] inside...but physically I don't know if I could handle it...

basically I'm young, very intelligent, have some cash saved (~20K), will be playing poker once I quit my job but not really high stakes, just grinding...I'm just not interesting or interested in anything...the only reason I find poker interesting is b/c it's not very hard to win and it will pay any bills I have in the meantime...

I don't really think I'm depressed b/c I'm out and about and stuff, I just basically don't care about anything...

wtf is going on here???

Copernicus 06-01-2006 05:46 PM

Re: NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem???

An internet board of psych dilletantes is probably not the place to asking this question. Do some research on "ennui", which is related to but not the same as depression. There may some recent research on sleep disorders and ennui, so if you have unusual sleep patterns (eg you are always screwing with your circadian rhythms that may be a place to start. If you are still in school a trip to the school psychologist would be my suggestion.

Blowup Doll 06-01-2006 05:58 PM

Could be burnout. Every grad student that i've known has had the same problem at least once or twice in their grad career.

[ QUOTE ]
I am somewhat of a sociopath...I really have no emotions and bottle tons of [censored] inside..

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like more of a concern. I agree that you should check in with a school psych.

adamx 06-01-2006 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An internet board of psych dilletantes is probably not the place to asking this question. Do some research on "ennui", which is related to but not the same as depression. There may some recent research on sleep disorders and ennui, so if you have unusual sleep patterns (eg you are always screwing with your circadian rhythms that may be a place to start. If you are still in school a trip to the school psychologist would be my suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point, but my line of thinking is that there are many young poker players here on two plus two many very intelligent...

maybe someone is feeling or has felt the same way at some point...

thats why I thought it was appropriate even though you do not think so

anyway...like I said it's not depression...I've never sufferred from any type of psychological disorder (hell, I have a B.S. in psychology from one of the best schools in the country)

it's merely the fact that I want to work and make money, but I also want to retain my self-respect. But at the same time I guess I’m just not convinced that embracing the institutional foundations for contemporary life is an attitude that lends itself to happiness.

sandsmarc 06-01-2006 08:41 PM

Not being interested in anything is prima facie evidence of a psychological disorder. The only question is: what disorder is it?

06-01-2006 08:47 PM

fold lifeq

JCCARL 06-02-2006 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold lifeq

[/ QUOTE ]
Not very helpful, but it's funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Regards,
Carl

bkholdem 06-02-2006 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point, but my line of thinking is that there are many young poker players here on two plus two many very intelligent...

maybe someone is feeling or has felt the same way at some point...

thats why I thought it was appropriate even though you do not think so

anyway...like I said it's not depression...I've never sufferred from any type of psychological disorder (hell, I have a B.S. in psychology from one of the best schools in the country)

it's merely the fact that I want to work and make money, but I also want to retain my self-respect. But at the same time I guess I’m just not convinced that embracing the institutional foundations for contemporary life is an attitude that lends itself to happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the question exactly?

Are you content or not?

Are you willing to take steps to change or not?

noggindoc 06-02-2006 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not being interested in anything is prima facie evidence of a psychological disorder. The only question is: what disorder is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apathy, avolition, anhedonia? Sounds like features of depression but also some existential issues woven in there. Its worth seeing someone about.

Fathomer1977 06-02-2006 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a B.S. in psychology makes you exempt from depression? Maybe you should have gone to another school for psychology.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's common to come out of school and feel that way. For possibly the first time in your life your beliefs about work ethics are meeting reality. Many people in college have an unrealistic idea of what will happen after they graduate. Your first jobs are going to suck, and pay poorly.

MyTurn2Raise 06-03-2006 03:07 AM

Read this book

Fro 06-06-2006 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've thought about joining the military b/c I am somewhat of a sociopath...I really have no emotions and bottle tons of [censored] inside...but physically I don't know if I could handle it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Think twice about this. There aren't any job in the military (that I know of) where being a sociopath is an advantage. In my experience the exact opposite is true. The military is pretty much a mindless bureaucracy where personal relationships and people skills take precedence over anything else. Even the willingness to shoot strangers or do the task that was assigned to you.

As for the physical aspect ask yourself 3 questions:

1) Can you run for 25 minutes without dying

2) Can you do 8 pull-ups

3) Can you convince a stranger to lie about your ability to do 100 sit ups if you promise to do the same for them

If you answered yes then congrats. Your ready to be one the few and the proud. Basically, if you can walk and talk, don't worry about it.

Some Pig 06-06-2006 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm a long time poster who is obv posting under a gimmick)

[/ QUOTE ]

The mods will know who you are thru your ISP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Having said this, I think what you need are compelling goals. Things, situations, and activities to strive for to get yourself pumped up and get excited about. Go within and try to find out what is trully meaningful in your life.

fortunesknave 06-06-2006 04:48 PM

I agree with those who respond that this is common for recent graduates. You're entering a different lifestyle where the measurements for success are more abstract, further in the distance, and more self-determined. It's quite an adjustment, and it can leave you feeling like you're not really moving at all.

It may seem like a stupid suggestion, but if you aren't under tremendous pressure to pay back school loans, look into a volunteering opportunity that pays living expenses. I just got this in the mail yesterday. It's an opportunity to take care of big cats rescued from bad situations. If I were just out of college, without a family and bills to pay, I'd love to do something like this.

There's all kinds of opportunities abroad and at home that would give you the time to define who you want to be and what you want to do, while you have irreplaceable experiences that will be meaningful to you for the rest of your life.

killphilNI 06-06-2006 07:36 PM

As someone else quite rightly pointed out, what you are describing sounds like anhedonia (loss of pleasure). It's a common feature of depression. How has your sleep been? What about your appetite? What about your general mood? Do you feel unhappy?

Other than that spend more time with your friends and family, almost always helps.

kimchi 06-06-2006 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
( have some cash saved (~20K),

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people graduate with the same in debt.

Buy a one-way ticket to somewhere OUTSIDE the US and don't come back for a year.

I felt the same when I graduated, I bought a 1 way ticket - except I never returned to the UK.

Not looked back since

Mayhap 06-06-2006 10:39 PM

Read Carlos Castenada.

Beermantm 06-07-2006 03:27 AM

Go to a doctor now!!! This is an apperent cry for help and help is very hard to find........ at least the right help is.

Sounds like a cronic depressive disorder.

TomBrooks 06-13-2006 06:09 AM

Do you feel like there is nobody else as interesting as you are?

Spleen 06-13-2006 09:38 PM

Join the Peace Corps, do some good for a couple of years in a [censored] third world country, likely you will experience pretty bad living environments and will quickly figure out what interests you by doing what does not. An added bonus is that at the end of the day you will feel good about yourself whle gaining perspective, it will also look good on a resume for when you do give a [censored] about the future.

adamx 06-13-2006 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you feel like there is nobody else as interesting as you are?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, exactly the opposite...I find myself not interesting so why would anyone else find me interesting?

CallYNotRaise06 06-20-2006 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, exactly the opposite...I find myself not interesting so why would anyone else find me interesting?

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus it feels like i just met my twin. i am the exact same way. everything you said in that post is exacly how i feel. i know i suffer from depression alot(especially now after just losing half my br, but thats a different story...back to 25nl.) good luck bro.

Cyrus 06-20-2006 01:45 AM

Nothing comes to something

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think I'm depressed b/c I'm out and about and stuff, I just basically don't care about anything...

[/ QUOTE ]Of course, you are depressed. And you have every right to be.

Neurosis is actually the "normal" state of mind, for intelligent people.

To regain empathy, you should first follow your wishes, which are quite obvious, as you described yourself: you just don't feel like joining the "rat race" of corporate life at this moment in your life. So don't. (Can you analyze such a prospect? Try presuming less future expenses.)

LoveDub 06-20-2006 04:08 AM

Re: Nothing comes to something

[ QUOTE ]

To regain empathy, you should first follow your wishes, which are quite obvious, as you described yourself: you just don't feel like joining the "rat race" of corporate life at this moment in your life. So don't. (Can you analyze such a prospect? Try presuming less future expenses.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this
and
this

The Flow book referenced is also very good.

icemankazanski 06-26-2006 12:37 PM

Wow, you and I would get a long great. I've been out of college for a year and I've gone through two serious jobs, one serious relationship, three cities, and still don't have a clue as to where I'll be in a year from now.

I think about going back to school, but like you, I don't know what I would get a grad degree in. Maybe Law? Maybe Education? I don't want to waste three years and $100K untill I know for sure.

Screw the psychiatrists/psychologist, you sound fine to me. Depression and anxiety come and go, but they build character. If you are feeling suicidal, then you should probably go...

I read a good book the other day, it was called something like: "The Quarter-Life Crisis." I highly reccomend it. Good advice from people who have gone through what we are experiencing.

Good luck.

ElaineMonster 06-29-2006 07:56 PM

Sounds like you're depressed. I've been there.
I believe there is a strong connection between mind and body. For me, a)getting outdoors and b)doing physical activity (not necessarily together) make a HUGE difference in my mood. You might want to try a month of exercise to see if it makes a difference.

surfinillini 06-29-2006 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're depressed. I've been there.
I believe there is a strong connection between mind and body. For me, a)getting outdoors and b)doing physical activity (not necessarily together) make a HUGE difference in my mood. You might want to try a month of exercise to see if it makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent advice Elaine

capninsano 06-29-2006 11:38 PM

When it comes to most things I feel the same as the original poster. I am so lazy when it comes to college because I know the two places I'm possibly going to go, college doesn't mean squat. It's all about who you know. Whatever you need to know in the business world they will train you at your job. School is pointless for business majors like myself.

My only passion besides poker is football. I want to be a college football coach and I work with the football team at the school I'm at, so I guess I go that for me. But again, college education really doesn't mean squat for that either. So my attitude towards life right now is really about the same. I don't give a crap about hardly anything. I'm not depressed or anything. I dunno, it's nice to know someone else feels the same way as me.

goodgrief 06-30-2006 04:23 AM

Well, for whatever reason you are resistant to hearing it, but you pretty obviously have clinical depression or, perhaps, another health problem -- but because of your age I'd put my money on clinical depression. This form of clinical depression (ennui, as another poster called it) seems to respond very readily to the modern medications, so you may as well talk to a doctor and get it checked out. Normal healthy people may not be interested in poker, but they have other interests -- and, at your age, the sexual drive (OK to put it crudely getting laid) would be a big part of life if you were healthy. As far as being a sociopath, nothing in your post convinces me that you even know what a sociopath really is. Most sociopaths actually get quite a bit of enjoyment out of life in their own twisted way -- or at least the ones I know do. If you don't hop out of bed in the morning thinking of ways to eff with people's minds, I don't see how you can call yourself a sociopath without being laughed out of the room.

GrinDedDown 07-03-2006 08:34 PM

Hey Adam,

I think I know just exaclty how you feel, I go through this exact same sort of emotional (or lack thereof) state of mind from time to time. Everything will be going fine for a couple of monthes and then I start to get this feeling like I am a boring person or that nothing out of the ordinary happens to me. This is when I quit my job and I am usually content with my decisions. I don't feel bad or depressed but I feel like I am too neutral.

There are a couple of things that I do to change this.

One, read some books on things that interest you or things that you might want to do one day.

Try going on an outdoors excursion. I love going in the woods, setting up shop for a couple of days and making a fire. Out there, there is no one to find interest in you anyways, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Bring a close friend who might like to do this. But make sure you go to have fun and not worry about anything.

Try to learn new things. When you do this, you feel as if though you are accomplishing something and you begin to think that you are an interesting person as a result of your intelligence. Everyone is an interesting person in their own ways.

One other thing and this is the biggest but most life altering of them all. Try moving to a place that is different from the place you are in. If you live in a city, move to a more rural place. Or maybe you could move to Vegas while you are in between jobs, it is cheap and always exciting. Or maybe try moving somewhere else. If you move, you need to challenge yourself to network and meet new people. When you do, lie to them and tell them you run a music production company or a traveling circus (this is more fore times when you are drunk and you will never meet the person again). Do things that make yourself laugh, some people will laugh with you. Some will laugh at you though, but f*ck em (no, not butt f*ck'em).

I don't know, I guess I am rambling, but I go through the same thing. Just find something you want to do and pursue it till you fail and do it again.

Hope this helps,
GrinDed

Arbitrage 07-04-2006 04:53 AM

I suggest that you change things up a bit. Maybe give poker a break or at least cut back. Travelling was a good suggestion, try finding a new hobby, spend more time with the people that you really care about you. Also how is your diet? It's amazing how much better you feel, physically and mentally, when you eat healthy.

johnc 07-04-2006 06:01 AM

A couple of years back I went through a really bad time in my life. I went through a divorce and was faced with a ton of debt and losing my house that I had built myself. Bottomline, life looked very bleak and frankly, my future didn't seem very promising either. The only thing that kept me going was my job and my family but I knew that it could only sustain me for so long - I felt like life was dragging me down. So, I did the only thing that I could and that was to seek help. I found out that my depression and lack of "zest" for life medically correctable and was not major depression. Now, I'm not saying that your difficulties now have anything to do with mine, except that the only way you'll find some real answers in to seek professional help. Do yourself a huge favor and get help.

ZenMasterFlex 07-04-2006 07:36 PM

If you could do one thing with your life what would it be?