Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Why do sites allow shortstacking? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459034)

PartyGirlUK 07-24-2007 02:28 AM

Why do sites allow shortstacking?

All the good players hate it, so why do the sites allow it? Do the donks choose their site based upon the minimum buyin in terms of bb?

bottomset 07-24-2007 02:29 AM

Re: Why do sites allow shortstacking?

well if eveyone buys in for 100bb more money ends up in the hands of the good players and not the site

still all shortstackers need to die

FatalError 07-24-2007 02:34 AM

they should all die

why NVG though?

shaniac 07-24-2007 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the good players hate it, so why do the sites allow it? Do the donks choose their site based upon the minimum buyin in terms of bb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe there is another thread about ss'ing, and why the f* is it in NVG?

You should assume that there are plenty of donks who like the option of buying in for 20BB, and that's the reason the sites have it, and you should also be able to adjust. Shortstackers might be lame, but highstakes pros complaining about them incessantly is considerably more pathetic.

gaming_mouse 07-24-2007 02:35 AM

dean i think you answered your own question. sorta like asking why did george bush elected when all the smart people voted for kerry? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

while we are on the subject of shortstacking, i would be obliged if you could answer this question I had about playing against shortstackers :

Post in MSNL

[Phill] 07-24-2007 02:37 AM

I expected a joke.

I really did.

The reason the sites allow it is because the recreational players want to do it. Supply and demand.

shaniac 07-24-2007 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dean i think you answered your own question. sorta like asking why did george bush elected when all the smart people voted for kerry? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

while we are on the subject of shortstacking, i would be obliged if you could answer this question I had about playing against shortstackers :

Post in MSNL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah then there's this one.

Donkey-Milker 07-24-2007 02:47 AM

er....... why would the sites care? they get rake = happiness.

obv the skill level is reduced... but come on... they are weak players. i have often seen shortstackers drop over a full buy in of 100 bb's by doing it for 10 or 20 bb's at a time.

good players can play with shortstacks as well as deepstacks.

imo... this is like a tennis player complaining that Andy Roddick's serve is too powerful and is cheating. lol gtfo. make use of their weaknesses.

gaming_mouse 07-24-2007 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Post in MSNL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that video is brilliant, though i've no idea why you posted in response to me.....

morello 07-24-2007 03:57 AM

"All the good players hate it, so why do the sites allow it?"

Don't you have a phd in economics? You really can't answer your own question here? Why does the fact that good players like/dislike something matter? Good players like playing deep, using your logic the sites shouldn't cap buyins at 100bb either.

Gonso 07-24-2007 04:57 AM

Maybe, if we could show some serious interest, we could get a site to set up some rooms that have higher minimum buy-ins (maybe even fixed 100bb buy-ins).

Not all of the tables, just some. Kind of like they have with 6max.

Schneids 07-24-2007 05:04 AM

Why do sites allow you to sit down and play 1 hand and leave a table?

In any event, I love shortstackers.

robracing 07-24-2007 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, if we could show some serious interest, we could get a site to set up some rooms that have higher minimum buy-ins (maybe even fixed 100bb buy-ins).

Not all of the tables, just some. Kind of like they have with 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not suggest it to WSEX?

Rake-free and no short-stackers.

You have just invented the ultimate NIT-fest! Good luck making any money there ...

mperich 07-24-2007 05:17 AM

meh. the best solution to this imo is making the timeframe from leaving the table to rebuying for 20bb much longer. like 3 hrs. I think that would allow all the fish who like 20bb to keep playing, and keep the ratholing to a min.

-Mike

imabigdeal 07-24-2007 05:19 AM

i obv don't mind like 2 or 3 at a full ring table... or like 1 at a 6 max... but i'll be playing HU or 3handed and one person comes and buys in short, and i'm like alright no big deal, and then someone else comes and i'm thinking ok well he's gotta buy in full right... nope... and before i know it the entire [censored] table is shortstackers. and yeah. and my PF raising range gets all [censored] up because i constantly have to worry about them shoving over the top. i mean learn how to play post flop and buy in full instead of having one [censored] move.

mrjetguy 07-24-2007 05:20 AM

So that people will play more.

Tricia828 07-24-2007 05:21 AM

Re: Why do sites allow shortstacking? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids

ne14dirt 07-24-2007 05:34 AM

Re: Why do sites allow shortstacking? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids

ClubChamp04 07-24-2007 06:09 AM

I'm pretty sure the short stacks killed the 25/50 games on stars. I watched them fairly frequently and saw the regulars complain about it more than a couple times. They will continue growing in numbers and eventually kill the games at all limits if something isn't done soon. They are like locusts in my mind. Who the hell is going to want to play at a table with 4+ short stackers? I don't mind people buying in for less than full but the 20BB ratholers have to go.

Gonso 07-24-2007 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not suggest it to WSEX?

Rake-free and no short-stackers.

You have just invented the ultimate NIT-fest! Good luck making any money there ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... first, I didn't say anything about not taking a rake. I also didn't suggest they do away with shortstacking outright. What I suggested was that someone could open a few rooms where you could not buy in short.

That way, shortstackers (and those who don't mind them) can play as normal.

Huge difference. DUCY?

ski 07-24-2007 07:04 AM

Sites get interest from money kept online most 25/50 shortstackers keep a lot on compared anyone but high stakes full stack players.

Lots of short stackers are terrible, I think a lot regs are happy when they play. There are also people that get drunk and wanna" take a shot" but arent drunk enough to do it with 100bbs. They don't even use much strategy.

SSers pay rake just like everyone else and sometimes get table going.

silver book 07-24-2007 07:20 AM

FTP obviously allows shortstacking so their pro's can play. I dunno why other sites allow it.

kemystery 07-24-2007 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Post in MSNL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that video is brilliant, though i've no idea why you posted in response to me.....

[/ QUOTE ]

that is random

sdfsdf 07-24-2007 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FTP obviously allows shortstacking so their pro's can play. I dunno why other sites allow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mothercanuck 07-24-2007 08:08 AM

shorties suck out on me the most...but i see so many weak shortstackers and they are the ones who I often get the most money off during sessions since they seem to get it in more on draws and 1 pair and such...

Mothercanuck 07-24-2007 08:08 AM

short stacking makes play easier for some people...cause often will come down to fold or push...less choices..less play...its easier for them...

FatalError 07-24-2007 08:13 AM

shortstacking was fun 6 months ago when the games were loose and fish could use neteller, i was making as much as a lot of 25-50 grinders

now the games suck and shorting is'nt worth while in a bb/100 and variance sense

palman 07-24-2007 08:40 AM

God the days of shortstacking 10/20NL on party were sweet. I'm too lazy to do it nowadays where you have to wait 20 minutes to come back. A good shortstacker can't really be beat.....all you can really do is give them no action so that their winrates are relatively low.

On Party, it was great when people started calling your shoves loose, because then you could just push with a weaker range, thus encouraging calls with a weaker range, and increasing the amount of hands you could shove profitably. In it's heyday, I ran at 5ptbb/100 at around a $850/hr range over the course of 75k hands and it was really unstoppable. Only thing I regret was only doing it about 15 hours a week due to laziness.

daryn 07-24-2007 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and my PF raising range gets all [censored] up because i constantly have to worry about them shoving over the top. i mean learn how to play post flop and buy in full instead of having one [censored] move.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else see the irony here, or just me?

yteba 07-24-2007 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and my PF raising range gets all [censored] up because i constantly have to worry about them shoving over the top. i mean learn how to play post flop and buy in full instead of having one [censored] move.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else see the irony here, or just me?

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean that he want´s others to adapt so he saves the trouble of adapting?

Ghazban 07-24-2007 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
meh. the best solution to this imo is making the timeframe from leaving the table to rebuying for 20bb much longer. like 3 hrs. I think that would allow all the fish who like 20bb to keep playing, and keep the ratholing to a min.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner

uDevil 07-24-2007 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean good as in Barry "shortstack" Greenstein good? Or good as in not good enough to adjust to the shortstacks good?

If NL dies, it will be bigger stacks, not shortstacks, that kill it. I don't see why the pokersites would necessarily want good players. Seems to me they'd prefer everyone have the same skill level. Why would they cater to good players' excessive (from the sites' point of view) greed?

--Clearly not a NL player

Floker 07-24-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If NL dies, it will be bigger stacks, not shortstacks, that kill it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Recreational players often like the short stack since they risk a lot less and they have a higher probability of winning something in a given session (they get outplayed much more when they buy in big). Poker is all about taking money from those recreational players, so you'd better welcome those short stacks. If you can't adapt to them, then you're not a good player anyway.

StrayBullet 07-24-2007 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like they do at live tables [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

sethypooh21 07-24-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner

[/ QUOTE ]

Emperor 07-24-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If all the good players hate it, then shouldn't the sites disallow deepstacking?

EmpireMaker2 07-24-2007 04:02 PM

Uh More players more rake??? Thats basically what lee jones said to my face

ImsaKidd 07-24-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they should limit the amount that their players can play. Good business decision.

Nobody has pointed out a good reason why the sites should disallow it from a business perspective.

shaniac 07-24-2007 04:19 PM

why is this thread still here, not locked or moved or something?

captZEEbo 07-24-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they should limit the amount that their players can play. Good business decision.

[/ QUOTE ]bad logic. They already limit the time of coming back to the table. Most also limit it at 20BB.