Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512036)

BJ Nemeth 09-29-2007 06:23 PM

Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

Late last night (Friday, September 28, 2007), Matt "hazards21" Giannetti agreed to a $15,000 prop bet to spend 12 straight hours (starting at midnight, ending at noon) in the pool here at Club Med in the Turks & Caicos. There was far more than that at stake in the side action.

Giannetti won the bet, climbing out of the pool to applause shortly after 12:00 noon today.

Now there is an even bigger prop bet in the works between Mark Seif and Sean McCabe. For $100,000, McCabe (who is a certified rescue diver) will stand shoulder-deep in the ocean for 24 straight hours, with nothing but cold water to sustain him (no food).

Last we heard, the bet would start tomorrow afternoon (Sunday), during the WPT Final Table being taped here. And we *will* be providing Sean McCabe updates in our final table coverage at WorldPokerTour.com if he attempts this endurance challenge. In fact, Mark Seif will be following his progress through our site, because he'll already be on his way to Aruba.

For more details, check out the WPT's Live Updates page:
http://www.worldpokertour.com/tournament/?x=updatesnews

------------------
Edited by BJ Nemeth: I deleted a few direct links after re-reading the rules for the NVG forum. My goal isn't to spam the forum to send traffic to my employer's site. But I also don't want to cut-and-paste the entire articles/videos here because they are technically copyrighted by the World Poker Tour. Let me know if I've crossed a line, and how I should correct it.

PrimogenitoX 09-29-2007 06:26 PM

Re: Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

Didn't Huck Seed do the ocean prop vs Hellmuth for $50K and fail terribly?

PrimogenitoX 09-29-2007 06:27 PM

And I think he only had to be waist deep if I remember correctly...shoulder deep is retarded..Seif got his money in so good here.

EWS87 09-29-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I think he only had to be waist deep if I remember correctly...shoulder deep is retarded..Seif got his money in so good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

hes obv using godmode to know that mccabe cant do it

coltranedog 09-29-2007 06:34 PM

There is a slight difference between the water temperature where Huck made the bet (AC) and the water temp here in the Caribbean. That being said Mark is a pretty good fave.

PrimogenitoX 09-29-2007 06:38 PM

Imagine a prop where you have to stay in a single spot, not talk to a single person, not be able to sleep and you have to be in this state for 24 hours straight...now imagine you are surrounded up to your neck by an entire ocean...

BJ Nemeth 09-29-2007 06:42 PM

If my Google searches are accurate, Huckleberry Seed had to be shoulder deep in the ocean for 18 hours, and he gave up after 3 hours.

The terms of the Seif-McCabe bet are in the full article. Sean McCabe has to be shoulder deep in the ocean for 24 hours, but like coltranedog pointed out, we are in tropical waters. Other than that, I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on how that affects the health risks and dangers.

coltranedog 09-29-2007 06:56 PM

Hey I am not saying he is going to do it, i am just saying comparing it to Hucks bet is a bit of a stretch since the temperatures were way different.

I think that Sean will be lucky to last 8 hours.

NLSoldier 09-29-2007 07:06 PM

seems like the ocean bet depends A LOT on how big the waves are. if he is constantly having to exert energy to stay at a depth that is somewhere between his head and shoulders he has no shot, but it its relatively calm and he pretty much just gets to chill in the same spot he might have a chance.

goodguy_1 09-29-2007 07:16 PM

since he is a rescue diver and water temp is mid 80's in the caribbean right now this seems to be easily doable unless there is lot of tidal/wave action.

Is he doing in a bay or a beach facing the ocean?

He also will have to be allowed to wade within a certain area if there is a wide range in tide heights.

If it is choppy thu this could get very tiresome even for an excellent swimmer.

goodguy_1 09-29-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also a potential Clause 5. If Mark Seif lays odds of 2-to-1, he would be allowed to "chum" the water, putting blood and fish guts in the area to potentially attract sharks. If they agree to the chumming, Seif would pay McCabe $200,000 if he lasts the full 24 hours, but McCabe would only have to put up $100,000. Keep in mind that most sharks are relatively small -- "Jaws" is just a movie. However, it would be unnerving at the very least, and the smell of blood would probably be awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

thatpfunk 09-29-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is also a potential Clause 5. If Mark Seif lays odds of 2-to-1, he would be allowed to "chum" the water, putting blood and fish guts in the area to potentially attract sharks. If they agree to the chumming, Seif would pay McCabe $200,000 if he lasts the full 24 hours, but McCabe would only have to put up $100,000. Keep in mind that most sharks are relatively small -- "Jaws" is just a movie. However, it would be unnerving at the very least, and the smell of blood would probably be awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

wow if this is true he should def do this. he has like no danger, its just disgusting/unnerving.

sapol 09-29-2007 07:31 PM

The 2-1 thing is of course never going to be done.
24 hours in the ocean seems like too much...I don't think it can be done....maybe in a pool with people around and no external forces besides the cold water.
I'll take the no way side.

Hotel Detect 09-29-2007 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

wow if this is true he should def do this. he has like no danger, its just disgusting/unnerving.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, no danger? Are you kidding me? This would be EXTREMELY dangerous.

StrongArm 09-29-2007 08:14 PM

this bet has interesting and exciting implications

isapistola 09-29-2007 09:05 PM

we finally found the guy who is worse than durr at prop bets.

PokerAmateur4 09-29-2007 09:05 PM

Why can't you stay in the water for that long? also:

SHOWN!
LOOK OUT FOR THE CHARRRKKKKS!
http://site.pokerfaces.tv/poker_face/PFSHARK.jpg

FatalError 09-29-2007 09:11 PM

CAN SOMEONE ASK MARK [censored] SEIF ON CAMERA WTF IS UP WITH GODMODE ACCOUNTS

seriously who gives a [censored] about this propbet when the guy making the bet is an owner of a site that blatantly allowed people to play with knowledge of others hole cards

Pudge714 09-29-2007 10:42 PM

Bet 1 seems like printing money for Hazards.

ofishstix 09-29-2007 10:50 PM

well in 70 degree water you can get hypothermia in 12 hours...

postoakpoker 09-29-2007 10:51 PM

Looks like seif is spending his newfound money well; giving back to the poker community by entertaining us. How thoughtful.

power overwhelming

murph0110 09-29-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like the ocean bet depends A LOT on how big the waves are. if he is constantly having to exert energy to stay at a depth that is somewhere between his head and shoulders he has no shot, but it its relatively calm and he pretty much just gets to chill in the same spot he might have a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, what is surf like????

snowbank 09-29-2007 11:41 PM

Wow, who would bet that someone couldn't spend 12 hours in a pool. If someone wanted to pay me $1,250 / hour to stay in the pool I would do it everyday.

EmpireMaker2 09-29-2007 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea no joking

deaders 09-30-2007 12:02 AM

The ocean one sounds very tough, Ive surfed in tropical water and after a long session (4-5 hours) you start getting a little chilled even if the water is warm. I guess just standing there, if its calm, wont use nearly as much energy though so if he really is a rescue diver he might have the experience to be able to make it.

celticslegend 09-30-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea no joking

[/ QUOTE ]

we were drunk as [censored] obv.

BJ Nemeth 09-30-2007 01:27 AM

Here's an update on the status of the second prop bet, involving Sean McCabe spending 24 hours shoulder deep in the ocean. There is some bad news, but first let me answer a question that several people have brought up about the waves.

The waves down here in the Turks & Caicos seem like a small factor. There are waves of course, but they are not anything like what many of you are imagining. There is no surfing here, and in shoulder deep water (five feet or so), I think there would only be occasional waves of consequence.

Of course, that's not to say the weather conditions couldn't quickly degrade. Within the last half hour (around 12:30 am), an intense tropical thunderstorm has arrived. At times, the rain has been coming down hard and fast, and using the old see-the-flash-of-lightning-and-count-the-seconds-until-the-thunder-arrives trick indicates that some of the flashes were within two miles. If Sean McCabe (or anyone) had willingly stayed out in the ocean shoulder deep during this storm, they would qualify for combat pay. (Hell, if this storm arrived about 20 hours earlier, I think Giannetti would have abandoned the pool bet.)

Now for the bad news.

I spoke to Sean McCabe about two hours ago, and he told me that the money on the other side of the bet dried up -- apparently Mark Seif and others had second thoughts. It's not that they thought it was a bad bet; rather, they feared for McCabe's safety and didn't want to be responsible for him hurting himself.

For his part, McCabe is still 100% confident that he would survive this. He says he knows the factors and the risks better than anyone, and he can do this, but he won't do it unless someone (or a group of someones) puts up 100,000 at 1-to-1 odds. He even asked me to post something online (which I'm doing right now) to see if anyone wants to take the "don't pass." In McCabe's own words, "I just need ten guys to put up $10,000 each, and I'll do it tomorrow [Sunday]."

McCabe won't eat during the bet, but he must be allowed to wear a hat and be given clean water to drink and stay hydrated. He also refuses to attempt this for less than six figures -- while McCabe is confident he can do it, he knows that it will suck hard and take a beating on his body. He figures he'll be on his back for a while once it's over, and he estimates that it would take a full week for him to recover. But he's skipping the tournament in Aruba, and isn't planning to play again until the WPT event in Barcelona, Spain (which starts October 11th).

For McCabe to take the bet, there needs to be a total of $100,000 in action against him. If there are any serious takers out there, you probably know someone down here that you can contact to broker the deal. (Unfortunately, I can't get involved on the money side of this, so please don't send inquiries my way.)

So, are there any serious takers out there?

Halfpoint 09-30-2007 01:27 AM

WOW I'd bet the dont on the ocean one. I get freaked out when seaweed brushes my legs, imagine all the fish and stuff that goes by in that time????? Gotta be jellyfish hazards and stuff too.

I wouldnt do that prop for less than 1 mil.

murph0110 09-30-2007 01:38 AM

go mccabe!!!!! gauntlet is thrown!!!!!!

what is up.....

light waves, i love this kid...

he will do it, i would not bet against him.. never...

i wanna party with this guy!!!

HiBaCHi 09-30-2007 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go mccabe!!!!! gauntlet is thrown!!!!!!

what is up.....

light waves, i love this kid...

he will do it, i would not bet against him.. never...

i wanna party with this guy!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

muuurrphhhhh

wasssup man?

next time i'm in cleveland we're tearing up the flats

GTL 09-30-2007 04:37 AM

when someone wants to do a prop this bad, well, you know the rest.

aitchie 09-30-2007 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For McCabe to take the bet, there needs to be a total of $100,000 in action against him. If there are any serious takers out there, you probably know someone down here that you can contact to broker the deal. (Unfortunately, I can't get involved on the money side of this, so please don't send inquiries my way.)

So, are there any serious takers out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

paging durrr?

Sykes 09-30-2007 07:50 AM

seriously if mccabe is such a [censored] expert on staying in ocean for that long, someone should prop bet him to swim the english channel.

there is no [censored] way he could do this. if i had 100k to blow, this is a slam dunk sure fire bet.

mr.bum 09-30-2007 07:51 AM

true story...a small plane crashes in the gulf of mex 3 male passengers are treading watter while holding on to a cooler for flotation. they were in the water for 2 plus days with no drinking water. everyone survives with relative ease...why is this thought to be so difficult? obv not easy, but impossible/worst of it? why?

BJ Nemeth 09-30-2007 09:31 AM

It rained all night long, and there was quite a bit of lightning. So Seif missed a good opportunity if they had started the bet yesterday.

It is still raining right now, although lightly, but I haven't seen McCabe yet today. Right now, the bet seems unlikely to happen.

But McCabe is convinced he can do this, and there seem to be quite a few gamblers on the other side, saying it's impossible. So we may not have heard the last of this bet.

cpitt398 09-30-2007 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
true story...a small plane crashes in the gulf of mex 3 male passengers are treading watter while holding on to a cooler for flotation. they were in the water for 2 plus days with no drinking water. everyone survives with relative ease...why is this thought to be so difficult? obv not easy, but impossible/worst of it? why?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the currents would make it much more difficult than holding on to a float out in the sea, though Im not sure by how much.

If had that kind of loot I would have to bet he couldnt do it unless it was lake calm water

bustedromo 09-30-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cooler was filled with cold cuts, steak rolls, pepper jack, spicy brown mustard, Kettle chips, and Fiji bottled water.

BJ Nemeth 09-30-2007 12:48 PM

It won't happen today, but it might happen soon. Another update is coming, mixed in with the live updates at today's WPT Final Table. (I'm not the one who spoke to McCabe today, so I have no details yet.)

cwar 09-30-2007 01:45 PM

Awesome thread BJ.

VeryTnA 09-30-2007 02:13 PM

He should NOT be allowed to wear a wetsuit. I have not seen that as a rule. They did say he could only drink COLD water. Hot water, coffee and soup would have made the stay much easier.