Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Appetizers that don't show up before your food (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542312)

neuroman 11-09-2007 05:02 PM

Appetizers that don\'t show up before your food

Situation 1:

You are at a steakhouse for dinner with a friend. You each order a wedge salad. After about a 20 minute wait, the salads are brought out simultaneously with your hot, freshly cooked steak.

Situation 2:

You are eating lunch at a Japanese restaurant with a date who you've been out with several times before. You and your date order sushi, miso soup, and steamed dumplings, which are listed as an appetizer. The miso soup arrives shortly after ordering. About 20 minutes later, the sushi arrives. A couple minutes after that, the steamed dumplings arrive.

Situation 3:

You are at a middle eastern cafe by yourself. You go up to the counter and order baba ganoush and pita as an appetizer, and a chicken shwarma. After sitting at your table for fifteen minutes, the baba ganoush and shwarma arrive together.

What do you do?

mbillie1 11-09-2007 05:04 PM

Re: Appetizers that don\'t show up before your food

eat my food, because I'd probably be hungry.

oh wait, this is OOT, I forgot... let me revise:

I'd probably freak the [censored] out, take all the money the waiter had on him, call the manager and muff-punt him to the back of the restaurant and then take a dump in the corporate offices because my food came in the wrong order.

Dan. 11-09-2007 05:05 PM

Eat the food.

The Owl 11-09-2007 05:06 PM

1: Waiter, I don't want these salads anymore, take them back and don't charge me for them.

2: No problem.

3: No problem.

RoundGuy 11-09-2007 05:07 PM

I don't order my meal until my drinks arrive and I know my appetizer order has been placed. Never fails.

O Fen�meno 11-09-2007 05:07 PM

i would look at all of these terts and be happy

[b]don't flood my forum with untagged NSFW spam, noobs. -NT

bobman0330 11-09-2007 05:08 PM

If you want to eat the food, eat it and don't tip well. If you don't, send it back, don't pay for it, and don't tip well.

Unless it wasn't clear that you wanted the item as an appetizer. Then I'd probably either send it back or not, as I pleased, but would still tip OK.

EDIT: In scenario 2, I guess you should suck it up and let it go unless your date wants to make a big deal out of it.

z28dreams 11-09-2007 05:09 PM

Only #1 really bothers me, because you've gotta eat that steak while it's still warm.

MC Chris 11-09-2007 05:11 PM

yeah #1 is the only real bad one. asian places usually just serve whatever is ready first, and that i dig.

CommanderCorm 11-09-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only #1 really bothers me, because you've gotta eat that steak while it's still warm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just eat the salad after the steak then?

Quicksilvre 11-09-2007 05:32 PM

I just eat, dude. Not even #1 would bother me; I've never had a situation where I've had issues with finishing a steak before it got cold; I don't expect a mere salad to change that. I'd just eat the two of them simultaneously.

I don't see the point in tipping less, unless you know that the tips get shared between the whole staff (cooks included). No point in punishing the server.

Holybull 11-09-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point in tipping less, unless you know that the tips get shared between the whole staff (cooks included). No point in punishing the server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to disagree. It's the server's fault. He/she is responsible for the timing of the food. They should know not to put the steak orders through too early. Very standard.

Aces McGee 11-09-2007 05:39 PM

If getting my salad at the same time as my steak bothered me that much (it doesn't), I can't imagine I'd let 20 minutes go by without asking the waiter where my salad was.

-McGee

Perplexity 11-09-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1: Waiter, I don't want these salads anymore, take them back and don't charge me for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect.

Eurotrash 11-09-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Situation 3:

You are at a middle eastern cafe by yourself. You go up to the counter and order baba ganoush and pita as an appetizer, and a chicken shwarma. After sitting at your table for fifteen minutes, the baba ganoush and shwarma arrive together.

What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

not saying anything here is kind of like letting the terrorists win.

imitation 11-09-2007 05:56 PM

do nothing, stew on it for 3months, make OOT thread.

pirateboy 11-09-2007 05:56 PM

With a date, you never raise a stink about trite [censored] like this. With a friend, you say "I don't want the salad anymore - it's an appetizer for a reason."

NT! 11-09-2007 06:12 PM

Only big problem I have is with the steak / salad thing, for reasons already mentioned. But I don't fill up on [censored] rabbit food when I go out for steak anyway, so this never happens to me.

In most Japanese / Chinese places things just come out when they're ready, at a place like that if I am going to be picky about it I just assume I will have to tell them first.

neuroman 11-09-2007 07:10 PM

#2 happened to me at lunch today, except the date was my GF of six months so I wasn't too worried about potentially looking like a douche. I sent back the dumpling appetizer, which the restaurant seemed just fine with. They apologized when the check was brought out, so I gave them a normal tip. Otherwise would have given them 10-12% as service was mediocre.

#1 and #3 are made up. In #1, I would probably send the salad back unless I was really jonesing for some lettuce. #3, standard, I'd just eat it. mmmm baba ganoush.

DCJ311 11-09-2007 07:23 PM

#1 isn't that bad, although the water has to blow pretty bad for this to happen. The other ones aren't even a big deal since those types of meals are generally a la carte anyway.

xorbie 11-09-2007 07:38 PM

1. Stop being a nit.

2. Stop being a nit.

3. Stop being a nit.

Eat your damn food.

stabn 11-09-2007 07:39 PM

1. is not nitty.

solids 11-09-2007 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^
Yeah, this.

Quicksilvre 11-09-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have to disagree. It's the server's fault. He/she is responsible for the timing of the food. They should know not to put the steak orders through too early. Very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, fine. I still don't think it's all that big of a deal--if you're worried about the steak getting cold, eat that first.

Golden_Rhino 11-09-2007 08:17 PM

Man, we are the luckiest people in the world. Not only do we have an abundance of food, we get to be picky about the order it comes in. I think sending it back is wasteful.

Himself 11-09-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eat my food, because I'd probably be hungry.

oh wait, this is OOT, I forgot... let me revise:

I'd probably freak the [censored] out, take all the money the waiter had on him, call the manager and muff-punt him to the back of the restaurant and then take a dump in the corporate offices because my food came in the wrong order.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man is v. funny.

prohornblower 11-09-2007 08:52 PM

Trash the place/yell "Rat!"/leave/order taco bell/yell "Fire in the Hole!"/throw soda through drive thru window/go home/crank one out

roxxorzjoo 11-09-2007 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a date, you never raise a stink about trite [censored] like this. With a friend, you say "I don't want the salad anymore - it's an appetizer for a reason."

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck.

Constable 11-09-2007 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. is not nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Lots of people would be thrilled to get to eat steak and salad and wouldn't give a [censored] in what order they "had" to eat them. Get some perspective.

bobman0330 11-09-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. is not nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Lots of people would be thrilled to get to eat steak and salad and wouldn't give a [censored] in what order they "had" to eat them. Get some perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a silly argument. Lots of people woudl be thrilled to eat a medium-well steak, so who cares if it's overcooked? Lots of people subsist on a few bowls of rice a day, so who cares if they give you some rice instead of the steak you're paying $30 for? If you're paying for something and they don't give it to you, you shouldn't pay for it.

Arito 11-09-2007 09:51 PM

I can eat a salad before, during or after the main course. Actually, I usually prefer after, even though I never order it in that order in a restaurant. So none of these would bother me the slightest bit.

Pudge714 11-09-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obv make a stink if you are on a date you need to become AMOG this is day 1 PUA stuff.

nickg1532 11-09-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just eat, dude. Not even #1 would bother me; I've never had a situation where I've had issues with finishing a steak before it got cold; I don't expect a mere salad to change that. I'd just eat the two of them simultaneously.

[/ QUOTE ]

XXXNoahXXX 11-10-2007 12:11 AM

I can't believe people saying "just eat your food"

[censored] that. what if they bring out a sundae and then a steak and then salad? at what point are you idiots drawing the line?

this really pisses me off at places like chilis/fridays/etc. and is the main reason i don't go there any more. when people order those greasy combo platters of buffalo nuggets and mozz. sticks, they want that [censored] pronto, not at the same time as their meal.

for me though, unless the meal comes out shockingly fast, i've already complained about the lack of apps. by the time it comes to this.

NeedATimeMachine 11-10-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Stop being a nit.

2. Stop being a nit.

3. Stop being a nit.

Eat your damn food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I share your sentiments sir

Freakin 11-10-2007 01:00 AM

I wouldn't be at a steakhouse that would make this kind of mistake, cause it's pretty damn easy to get it right. It sets a precedent for how bad the steakhouse must be and how awful the steak is probably prepared...

If it was a steakhouse renowned for it's awful service but great food, who the hell cares?

the other two I'd eat the food

Constable 11-10-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. is not nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a silly argument. Lots of people woudl be thrilled to eat a medium-well steak, so who cares if it's overcooked? Lots of people subsist on a few bowls of rice a day, so who cares if they give you some rice instead of the steak you're paying $30 for? If you're paying for something and they don't give it to you, you shouldn't pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're paying for a steak and a salad and you are getting a steak and a salad. What am I missing here?

stabn 11-10-2007 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. is not nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're paying for a steak and a salad and you are getting a steak and a salad. What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. Please troll somewhere else.

Runkmud 11-10-2007 03:11 AM

This exact situation happened to me recently at the new Council Oak Steakhouse in the Tampa Hard Rock. I sat by myself in the lounge as I could smoke there and the main room was full. So I ordered a french onion soup and a New York strip. I was starving and was wondering what was taking so long with the soup, when the waitress finally showed up with the soup and the steak. I was pretty shocked, but was too hungry to bitch about it. Had this happened while I was dining with other folks I probably would have said something, but due to my overwhelming hunger, I just sucked it up and ate both.

dw2006 11-10-2007 03:18 AM

#2 is so standard, all rules go out the window at a Japanese joint. Accept it in any order they bring it.