Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   AL Cy Young Winner (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545232)

ADLinden 11-13-2007 03:08 PM

AL Cy Young Winner

C.C. Sabathia was just announced the AL Cy Young Award winner.

Story.

metsandfinsfan 11-13-2007 03:10 PM

Re: AL Cy Young Winner

im pretty shocked actually

not that he doesnt deserve it, but i was pretty sure beckett was gonna win it pretty easily

Kneel B4 Zod 11-13-2007 03:16 PM

he deserved it

Kneel B4 Zod 11-13-2007 03:17 PM

also, someone left CC off the ballot. like the guy that left Pedro off a few years ago, he should have his vote removed

34TheTruth34 11-13-2007 03:17 PM

Sure, Beckett won all those huge playoff games, but Sabathia finally beat him when it really counted. Congrats on the award Captain Cheeseburger!

MikeyPatriot 11-13-2007 03:18 PM

Shocked that the BBWAA got an award right.

sethypooh21 11-13-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, Beckett won all those huge playoff games, but Sabathia finally beat him when it really counted. Congrats on the award Captain Cheeseburger!

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

kyro 11-13-2007 03:20 PM

I'm really surprised Beckett didn't get it. But I have no complaints. Congrats to Sabathia.

TheNoodleMan 11-13-2007 03:27 PM

seems a little early for the preseason awards doesn't it?

MikeyPatriot 11-13-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surprised Beckett didn't get it. But I have no complaints. Congrats to Sabathia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised because you thought the voters would give it to him or surprised because you thought he deserved it?

Suigin406 11-13-2007 03:33 PM

strange, after the ALCS, i figured beckett would get the nod with the momentum, but whatever, sabathia was outstanding during the regular season

Kneel B4 Zod 11-13-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
strange, after the ALCS, i figured beckett would get the nod with the momentum, but whatever, sabathia was outstanding during the regular season

[/ QUOTE ]

voting is done before the playoffs. if it's a regular season + posteason award, Beckett wins unanimously

34TheTruth34 11-13-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're leveling or not, but they vote after the end of the regular season and before the playoffs start. If playoffs performances were allowed to be included, surely Beckett and Tulo would have won.

Suigin406 11-13-2007 03:38 PM

whoops, sorry...

Sykes 11-13-2007 04:03 PM

How does the only 20 game winner in the Major League not win the Cy Young award?

Also, playoffs should really be added to this award as well. Regular season is crap compared to playoffs. No one cares if you win 110 games in regular season if you lose in the first round.

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the only 20 game winner in the Major League not win the Cy Young award?

Also, playoffs should really be added to this award as well. Regular season is crap compared to playoffs. No one cares if you win 110 games in regular season if you lose in the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL....Level??!?!?!?

kidcolin 11-13-2007 04:05 PM

pretty obvious choice. Congrats CC.

Needle77 11-13-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who should have won it, but Sabathia did win 19. It's not like he won 16, he won one less game. 20 is just a number, Randy Johnson might not get 300 wins does that mean he doesn't deserve the hall of fame?(I know horrible analogy).

Sykes 11-13-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who should have won it, but Sabathia did win 19. It's not like he won 16, he won one less game. 20 is just a number, Randy Johnson might not get 300 wins does that mean he doesn't deserve the hall of fame?(I know horrible analogy).

[/ QUOTE ]

K, Didn't know he had 19, I thought CC went something like 17-9. I know he lead the league in innings pitched so I guess that has to say something with longevity in games.

However, my point still stands, playoffs should matter in the voting.

300 wins is totally different. It's basically like 500HR discussion these days. Usually 500HR meant first ballot hall of fame. Not true anymore. Usually less than 300 wins meant you're not getting on first ballot. That's becoming less and less true as the years go by.

Back then, pitchers use to go on 2-3 day rest between games. Now we have pitchers go on 4-5-6 days rest between games. This is why Cy Young's record of 511 wins will never be broken because the game we play today is totally different then the game of back then.

MikeyPatriot 11-13-2007 04:10 PM

It amazes me how many 2p2ers still use flawed statistics.

NT! 11-13-2007 04:18 PM

congrats to CC, might tack a little extra onto his FA deal next year.

kyro 11-13-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised because you thought the voters would give it to him or surprised because you thought he deserved it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the voters would give it to him.

dkgojackets 11-13-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stop posting.

Voters clearly got this right. 40 more innings pitched than Beckett is HUGE. Plus he had the highest VORP for AL pitchers.

MCS 11-13-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one thing, wins are a ridiculous statistic.

edit: Although, now that I think about it, the BBWAA uses stupid statistics and makes dumb choices all the time. So your question is actually a good one.

Sykes 11-13-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one thing, wins are a ridiculous statistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

To a certain extent, like when Clemens pitched for the Astros and had a ridiculous ERA (like 1.8?) and had a W-L record of like 13-8 or 14-8 because the Astros couldn't give Clemens any runs when he pitched (got shutout in 8 games Clemens pitched iirc), Then yes, Wins are a ridiculous statistic.

However, Career Win/Loss record is definitely not a ridiculous stat. Nolan Ryan has 300+wins and 300+losses yet he is in the HoF (and no I'm not disputing he shouldn't be in, cuz that's retarded, but I am saying it is a good indicator how good one pitcher is).

Still stand by my statement that playoff should be factor in before they vote.

Honestly, Indians could have won the division w/o CC. Red Sox could not w/o Beckett. Honestly, imo, Red Sox would be crippled if they lost Beckett.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-13-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Red Sox fan, but CC deserved it.

1. Playoffs don't count (besides, they vote before the playoffs anyway)

2. 20-7 isn't that much better tha 19-7.

3. Their stats were essentially equal, except CC threw 41 more innings. That's more than an inning per start. That clearly put him over the top.

FWIW, Had Bedard not gotten hurt it might've been a close 3-way race.

Smell The Glove 11-13-2007 04:54 PM

Hello???? They pay the pitchers to win games. 20 wins > 19 wins. God you guys are so dumb. Bartolo Colon4lyfe.

NT! 11-13-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Still stand by my statement that playoff should be factor in before they vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea of the regular season awards is that they are regular season awards, they don't punish people for not making the playoffs. If we did what you said then nobody would ever win unless they pitched well in the playoffs. There's already effectively a bias towards playoff teams, this would just make it worse.

Beckett got a ring and an ALCS MVP out of it, I'm sure he's not complaining.

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, Indians could have won the division w/o CC. Red Sox could not w/o Beckett. Honestly, imo, Red Sox would be crippled if they lost Beckett.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. Sox and Indians won the same number of games. Sabathia pitched more innings than Beckett, had a higher value by just about every statistical method I've seen, etc. Both teams had potent offenses and great bullpens. Both were workhorse #1 starters. I can't see any argument (other than blatant homerism) for Beckett being so much more valuable to his team than CC.

Are you saying that Beckett deserves to win the award because Boston plays in a division with better opponents than Cleveland? That makes no sense.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-13-2007 04:56 PM

However, my point still stands, playoffs should matter in the voting.

I disagree completely. That would give players whose TEAMS were stronger a natural edge in the voting. The playoffs have their own MVPs.

James282 11-13-2007 05:02 PM

Great choice, but I can't believe they got this one right. Thought 20 wins and comparable stats and bigger market would give it to Beckett. Nice job BWAA!

James

Boris 11-13-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello???? They pay the pitchers to win games. 20 wins > 19 wins. God you guys are so dumb. Bartolo Colon4lyfe.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

34TheTruth34 11-13-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

metsandfinsfan 11-13-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, Indians could have won the division w/o CC. Red Sox could not w/o Beckett. Honestly, imo, Red Sox would be crippled if they lost Beckett

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but has nothing to do with the cy young award. it does mean that beckett deserves more votes than sabathia in the MVP award voting tho.

mo42nyy 11-13-2007 05:22 PM

win/loss record is almost as dumb a stat as saves are.
As starters have shorter and shorter starts it becomes even more of a useless stat.

En Passant 11-13-2007 05:40 PM

Syk,es

What part of Boston are you from?

Sabathia clearly deserved the award, congrats to the voters who actually got it right.

kidcolin 11-13-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, Indians could have won the division w/o CC. Red Sox could not w/o Beckett. Honestly, imo, Red Sox would be crippled if they lost Beckett

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but has nothing to do with the cy young award. it does mean that beckett deserves more votes than sabathia in the MVP award voting tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not true at all though. Cleveland would have won a lot less games with some scrubs pitching those 240 innings instead of CC.

edit: OK I jumped the gun and didn't clearly read the "wins the division" part. Obv Cleveland is favored by a weaker division. This is all assuming "winning the division" is meaningful in some way. My basic point still stands: CC was pretty frickin' important.

Franchise 60 11-13-2007 05:43 PM

Good choice by the writers, both were obviously great candidates but CC's innings were huge.

Its a pretty horrible idea to think postseason play should be included in these awards, it would totally skew the voting and change the historically dynamic of the awards.

All the Red Sox fans giving congrats to CC is pretty telling that the right choice was made, and shows class from them. And losing this award obv doesn't take anything away from Beckett as a pitcher and the season he had. I'm sure he'll be happy going down as the best big game pitcher of our generation.

lastchance 11-13-2007 05:44 PM

On top of that, getting into playoffs >>> winning division. CC Sabathia had a lot more to do with the Indians getting into the playoffs than Beckett did (see W3, terry francona's lineups down the stretch).

Myrtle 11-13-2007 07:30 PM

The extra 4 starts and 40 innings more than Beckett pushed CC over the top in an otherwise close contest. Given the accepted metrics used in voting, the voters got it right.

Now, just for discussions sake.....will CC even be the best pitcher on the Indians next year?

Vyse 11-13-2007 07:35 PM

yes. easily.