Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Steps on Stars (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520777)

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 02:09 PM

Steps on Stars

PSTars just added 6 STT SnG steps to the PCA starting BI at 500 FPP or 7.50.

Almost exactly like PP's old step system.

/rejoice.

Clayton 10-11-2007 02:12 PM

Re: Steps on Stars

i expect the higher sats to be kinda dry, no?

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 02:15 PM

You can't cash out for W$. You receive tickets only. So dry? Possibly. But way wetter than if I could cash out at the 215 level.

augie_ 10-11-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i expect the higher sats to be kinda dry, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

one would assume they will be slightly more moist than your standard $2000 sit n go.

rage4dorder 10-11-2007 02:37 PM

what's gonna happen to tickets left over in january?

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 02:43 PM

Bryan said they are likely going to convert them to something else.

Bryan said they wouldn't likely dissolve them and screw us over, pretty much.

Jackal69 10-11-2007 02:57 PM

why on earth is step 6 18 players and $2k when you could have $2k 6max ones or $1500 one tables ones? Bryan, if you read this, one table step 6s please... and also please turn the doomswitch off on my account so i can come back from full tilt. ty!

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 03:06 PM

It's obviously so they can offer multiple seats.

These sats never once force you to be decent at HU play. It's ridiculous to assume they will be worth a damn HU.

That, and sats that pay more seats are higher EV to intelligent players.

WutRUTryin2Hit 10-11-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why on earth is step 6 18 players and $2k when you could have $2k 6max ones or $1500 one tables ones? Bryan, if you read this, one table step 6s please... and also please turn the doomswitch off on my account so i can come back from full tilt. ty!

[/ QUOTE ]

It does seem weird that the step 6 is 18 ppl, and while I personally would prefer playing this format than a one-table, I think it could mean that they will fill a lot slower. Although I dunno, maybe since the tickets can only be used for steps, this won't be a problem. I just remember the WSOP steps on Partypoker last year that never filled at the highest levels.

Jackal69 10-11-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obviously so they can offer multiple seats.

These sats never once force you to be decent at HU play. It's ridiculous to assume they will be worth a damn HU.

That, and sats that pay more seats are higher EV to intelligent players.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats just silly, the double shootouts are far more +ev to me that the mtt ones. Unless you mean that the intelligent players are the ones colluding, in which case you have a point...

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 03:55 PM

How are double shootouts more +EV than large field MTTs.

Players making general satellite mistakes = more +EV than your ability to play heads up.

ughaulkghalugh 10-11-2007 03:55 PM

now how about regular steps if they got the [censored] coded now

WutRUTryin2Hit 10-11-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How are double shootouts more +EV than large field MTTs.

Players making general satellite mistakes = more +EV than your ability to play heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to speak for whatever jackal was talking about, but last year anyway there were a decent amount of satelliters to each DS, and the play was just fantastically bad at the first table, in my experience playing a bunch anyway. I dunno what the play was like in the weekly $650 ones, but it's hard to imagine it came very close to the awesome stinkiness of the shootouts. For me the value of the shootouts had nothing to do with HU, just the field (unsure whether they are as soft post-legislation, I haven't played any yet).

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 04:10 PM

On that same logic, how soft will you assume a 215 will be 36 hours from now after people buying in for 7.50/27 dollars filter into it?

NoahSD 10-11-2007 04:26 PM

ummm.. i really don't wanna play an SnG where some of my equity is in the form of tickets to SnGs with like 1/10 the BI....

WutRUTryin2Hit 10-11-2007 04:27 PM

Maybe soft, but let's face it, between the legislation and the amount of training sites teaching proper SNG strat, SNGs in general are way tougher than a year ago at this time, so I dunno if the 215s will be THAT soft (and as I said, I don't know for sure what the shootouts are like this year), but let's hope! My guess will be they are likely to be equal toughness to whatever the double shootouts are like this year. I'm buying more W$, I'll put it that way.

WutRUTryin2Hit 10-11-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm.. i really don't wanna play an SnG where some of my equity is in the form of tickets to SnGs with like 1/10 the BI....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of them have this, you just move down like 1 step usually. Oh wait the 215s do yeah, but it's only 1 spot. Ehh, yeah that's not optimal, but you couldn't give up this aspect but still get lots of guys satt-ing up from $7.50s too right?

homanga 10-11-2007 04:35 PM

Step 6 is the killer, would be nice if 4-6 got a step 5 or 6 ticket again kind of deal. Obviously need a higher buy in, but 4th in a step 6 tourney= suicide watch

dmk 10-11-2007 04:55 PM

wow, this thread gave me a huge boner

hammond 10-11-2007 05:14 PM

I'm not at home to check, but you are getting points when you step??? Will be a nice way to accumulate points at way higher sngs than I would normally play.

GSykes 10-11-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not at home to check, but you are getting points when you step??? Will be a nice way to accumulate points at way higher sngs than I would normally play.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean FPPs?

MJBuddy 10-11-2007 05:24 PM

Yes you get FPP.

GSykes 10-11-2007 05:28 PM

can you use W$ for the steps

homanga 10-11-2007 05:30 PM

yes on using W$

dmk 10-11-2007 06:57 PM

someone get this request to the proper person:

duplicate the steps w/ turbo steps as well. and make tickets work for either/or (i.e. if i win step 2 turbo, i can run a step 3 reg)

0evg0 10-11-2007 08:06 PM

Anyone know if you win a seat whether or not the name on the account has to play PCA?

TomHimself 10-11-2007 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know if you win a seat whether or not the name on the account has to play PCA?

[/ QUOTE ]yes

ShowUthExit 10-11-2007 08:19 PM

oh boy oh boy, started at step 2, this is step 4 , top 2 advance

PokerStars Game #12573561767: Tournament #63800564, $200+$15 Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2007/10/11 - 20:13:26 (ET)
Table '63800564 1' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: jeff710 (4582 in chips)
Seat 4: fold_em_sho7 (5530 in chips)
Seat 7: Radiihead (3388 in chips)
Radiihead: posts small blind 75
jeff710: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Radiihead [Tc Th]
fold_em_sho7: raises 150 to 300
Radiihead: raises 3088 to 3388 and is all-in
jeff710: calls 3238
fold_em_sho7: folds
*** FLOP *** [8s Jh 3d]
*** TURN *** [8s Jh 3d] [3h]
*** RIVER *** [8s Jh 3d 3h] [9h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Radiihead: shows [Tc Th] (two pair, Tens and Threes)
jeff710: shows [9s 9c] (a full house, Nines full of Threes)
fold_em_sho7 said, "nh"
jeff710 collected 7076 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 7076 | Rake 0
Board [8s Jh 3d 3h 9h]
Seat 1: jeff710 (big blind) showed [9s 9c] and won (7076) with a full house, Nines full of Threes
Seat 4: fold_em_sho7 (button) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Radiihead (small blind) showed [Tc Th] and lost with two pair, Tens and Threes

there was never really a doubt

LearnedfromTV 10-11-2007 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

duplicate the steps w/ turbo steps as well. and make tickets work for either/or (i.e. if i win step 2 turbo, i can run a step 3 reg)

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

BadgerPro 10-11-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna post this but I think making turbos will severely dry up the regulars. I'm still split on it though. In the early steps I think turbos will significantly reduce your edge.

ShowUthExit 10-11-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

[/ QUOTE ]

thirdededed

LearnedfromTV 10-11-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna post this but I think making turbos will severely dry up the regulars. I'm still split on it though. In the early steps I think turbos will significantly reduce your edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard hourly vs per tournament argument for turbo v regular sngs. Also, people make really large mistakes on turbo sat bubbles.

tedtodd 10-11-2007 08:54 PM

i'm a big fan of steps. can just keep trying and trying with little risk. step 4 is a bit of a bitch. only top 3 stay or move on. should be good if you have the time to commit to them.

0evg0 10-11-2007 09:28 PM

anyone who'd rather have standard sng's over turbo's must not have much experience with sng's. or maybe even common sense.

dmk 10-11-2007 09:30 PM

seriously, turrrrrrrrrrrbos plz

LearnedfromTV 10-11-2007 10:06 PM

Am I missing something or is there nowhere where the number of tickets you have is recorded?

It isn't on my cashier screen. The only way I can tell is by trying to register for one - it says "cost one ticket... you have x tickets" on the popup instead of the normal dollar bit.

They should have it recorded somewhere else also.

btw the play in the 82s is laughably bad so far; gonna let a few more fish win to step 4 before playing lots of them.

MATT238 10-11-2007 10:17 PM

E-mailed Stars support asking about the possibility of seeing turbo's added and received this response:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your email.

The PCA Steps are new and players are getting a feel for them; we are, as
well. Over time, small tweaks here and there may be made, depending on
what the players would like to see and what would be best for the system.

All the best,

Bryan S.
Tournaments Administrator
PokerStars Poker Room Management Team

So, obviously they read these boards, and will hopefully add them. Also, anyone else rather see the final step a single table paying just 1 seat? Seems odd playing single table's all the way through to have to play an 18 person at the end. Also, a single table would have re-entries so players starting at the low/mid-level steps wouldn't have to start all over again, and also a cash prize. Should like like this:

1st- PCA Package
2+3- Step 6 re-entry
4- $1800

MATT238 10-11-2007 10:18 PM

You can find the tickets you have by going to the PS Lobby and clicking on request, and there's a Tournament Tickets section to see what you have. But, I agree, would be much easier if they were listed in the cashier like $W, etc.

WutRUTryin2Hit 10-11-2007 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
E-mailed Stars support asking about the possibility of seeing turbo's added and received this response:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your email.

The PCA Steps are new and players are getting a feel for them; we are, as
well. Over time, small tweaks here and there may be made, depending on
what the players would like to see and what would be best for the system.

All the best,

Bryan S.
Tournaments Administrator
PokerStars Poker Room Management Team

So, obviously they read these boards, and will hopefully add them. Also, anyone else rather see the final step a single table paying just 1 seat? Seems odd playing single table's all the way through to have to play an 18 person at the end. Also, a single table would have re-entries so players starting at the low/mid-level steps wouldn't have to start all over again, and also a cash prize. Should like like this:

1st- PCA Package
2+3- Step 6 re-entry
4- $1800

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this structure you proposed a lot. I don't hate the 18man structure, but I think this is really, really good. Paying more spots with the prize structure being less top-heavy is also more in the spirit of the steps structure, and will probably make people happier who think steps are a good idea.

LearnedfromTV 10-11-2007 10:39 PM

TOURNAMENTS THAT LAST 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES SHOULD NOT HAVE BREAKS @ 1 HOUR