Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Modding Outside Your Forum (I just did it in Sporting Events) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330336)

Dynasty 02-12-2007 08:44 PM

Modding Outside Your Forum (I just did it in Sporting Events)

I just banned Assani Fisher for starting about twenty new threads in the past 15 minutes in Sporting Events- essentially spamming the forum with his own thoughts/questions.

MEbenhoe 02-12-2007 08:48 PM

Re: Modding Outside Your Forum (I just did it in Sporting Events)

No problem with me. I'm currently working on cleaning up, but does anyone know Assani IRL, his posting is really not him tonight, no clue whats up.

Lloyd 02-12-2007 08:50 PM

Isn't the purpose of a forum to express one's own thoughts and questions? IMO this oversteps our "authority" to Mod outside of our own forum in the event of spam. And it looks like he at least put some thought into each of the posts (some more than others, but still . . .).

Dynasty 02-12-2007 08:51 PM

Now that you've responded, I realize I should have checked to see if you were on the site. I didn't do that.

When I clicked onto Sporting Events, he had ~20 of the top 25 threads. So, I just quickly put an end to his posting rights.

diebitter 02-12-2007 08:52 PM

Can we please stop all this modding outside your own forum business for anything other than spamming?

Sniper 02-12-2007 08:52 PM

Dynasty, wtf?... I didn't look at how bad they were, but this seems like a clear notify mod situation... you don't know how the mods in there have been dealing with stuff like this, and you shouldn't impose your own desire on another forum like that.

MEbenhoe 02-12-2007 08:56 PM

Dynasty and others,

I was "on-site" but was about to close out and checked the mod forum before leaving and saw this. FWIW, I consider this to be like spamming so I'm fine with Dynasty doing this. For those who didn't actually see it, Assani basically posted 30 different, mostly inane, topics all at the same time.

Seriously, I'm more curious at WTF Assani is on tonight.

Mike Haven 02-12-2007 08:59 PM

"Rule one:

Moderators may never ban a poster for an infraction which did not occur in the forum they moderate. The only exception is when a spammy poster has gone crazy making multiple spam posts in multiple forums."

I guess you think Mat should amend his Rule 1 out of 2 rules?

Ryan Beal 02-12-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
starting about twenty new threads in the past 15 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good enough reason to ban outside ones assigned forum. Also notifying the mods with the button would have been good too, though.

The basic guideline I've always tried to give new mods is this:

Unless it's a unique situation in which taking fast action would appear to be more important than taking the correct action, don't ban members for posts they make outside your assigned forum, unless it's a spammer. All mods are allowed to ban spammers in any forum

Ryan Beal 02-12-2007 09:07 PM

He already sent an e-mail to the site about this:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure exactly why I'm receiving this message or what I did to possibly get my account locked. I just re-read your terms and conditions, and I'm 99.99% positive that I havn't broken any of the rules, so needless to say I'm very confused. I never had any of those stars by my name, nor have I ever even received a warning about doing anything wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like he's saying he thought it would be perfectly fine because it's not spelled out in the T&C that posters shouldn't spam up the place with any kind of threads. I'll talk to him about it, and the ban length will depend on how willing he is to accept that he did something he shouldn't have.

He could also be saying that he really has no idea what happened, so I'll update you guys as soon as I hear from him.

MEbenhoe 02-12-2007 09:08 PM

ryan,

fwiw, i already shortened the ban to 12 hours and gave a reason in the box.

daryn 02-12-2007 09:19 PM

i'd like to chime in here

assani is an a-hole. i like to run a tight ship on the weekly LOST thread and i mentioned in the first post that i wouldn't be taking any crap now that the show is back.

anyway, he immediately responds with some dumb joke about a hockey game.. it's kind of an inside joke from old LOST threads where people would just spontaneously start talking about the NHL. anyway, i PM'ed him and said basically "hey, i'll give you a warning, don't do what you're doing and i'll let you post in the LOST threads, otherwise you will not be able to"

he responds trying to engage me in some sort of passive aggressive PM fight BS. he kept asking me if i was the principal or something.. i dunno.. i wasn't playing his game right off the bat, i said look don't send me any more PMs unless it's about this issue. he then sent me a link which i didn't follow, i doubt it was malicious but i didn't check it.

my whole point is he is a douchebag and he knows exactly what he was doing, and he is trying to "get cute" and play dumb by referring to the T&C.

NT! 02-12-2007 09:35 PM

assani sucks, that boiling oats thread was unintentional gold tho

durron597 02-12-2007 09:52 PM

i would be ok with assani restricted to ONLY posting in the MTT forum and no other. he's good there but SUCKS everywhere else

private joker 02-12-2007 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he is a douchebag

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty 02-12-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Rule one:
Moderators may never ban a poster for an infraction which did not occur in the forum they moderate. The only exception is when a spammy poster has gone crazy making multiple spam posts in multiple forums."
I guess you think Mat should amend his Rule 1 out of 2 rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty:
I just banned Assani Fisher for starting about twenty new threads in the past 15 minutes in Sporting Events- essentially spamming the forum with his own thoughts/questions.

MEbenhoe:
FWIW, I consider this to be like spamming so I'm fine with Dynasty doing this. For those who didn't actually see it, Assani basically posted 30 different, mostly inane, topics all at the same time.

I don't think Mat should ammend Rule 1. But, I do think you should improve your reading comprhension.

daryn 02-12-2007 11:31 PM

love this [censored]

Dids 02-13-2007 12:33 AM

I think Dynasty was correct.

I think Assani is very often a kinda next level attention whore/troll. He can be a good sports poster at times, but stylistically he's damn annoying.

Jurollo 02-13-2007 03:09 AM

As Durron said, he's fine in MTT. Also when the software is upgraded can we PLEASE get the ability to ban from separate forums.

citanul 02-13-2007 03:39 AM

i think that mat has said that he doesn't want the banning from different non oot forums to be a thing we do.

RR 02-13-2007 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
assani is an a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know his father (if Assani is who he said he was in one of his first posts) and all I can say is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Mike Haven 02-13-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Mat should ammend Rule 1. But, I do think you should improve your reading comprhension.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah? Well, I think you should improve your spelling.

If you think that AF can be defined as a "spammy poster ... making multiple spam posts in multiple forums" then I'd agree that you can't see why Mat's Rule 1 needs to be amended.

If another mod didn't define him thus, they would have pm-ed the Sports mod/s, RB and MS to take action. If they hadn't received a Read Receipt within, say, ten minutes, then they would have temp-banned AF for 12 hours. They would also have written the circumstances in the Notes, for the benefit of present and future mods who might not have read this thread.

Let's agree to differ on this. You do whatever you want to do, with indifference to rules and other mods' and admins' existence; and I'll try to act reasonably to suit the circumstances.

Gildwulf 02-13-2007 11:02 AM

I would be super pissed if someone modded in BBV even if it was justified. It sets a terrible precedent.

I think the correct play here was to notify the mods and send a pm to the mod and to ryan and mat.

Ryan Beal 02-13-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sets a terrible precedent.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't, because things have always been this way. Mods can ban outside their own forums when there is some significant problem that needs to be taken care of right away. See the guideline I posted above for a clearer idea of what I mean.

I've been giving that general guideline to newer mods for about a year now, and I believe it still fits with the spirit of the rule Mat posted, although I can ask him to modify it a bit if that would help clear things up.

This wasn't even close to the first time, it won't be the last, and that's fine. There's really no reason at all for anyone to get pissed about situations like this. And believe me when I say that there are many mods who have received PMs from me about how they shouldn't be banning outside their assigned forums when it's not important that the poster be dealt with immediately. That's always been something I've tried to prevent as an admin, and I've been pretty annoying about it at times.

MEbenhoe 02-13-2007 06:20 PM

imo modding outside one's forum should go unquestioned as long as it meets these three requirements:

1. Most importantly, its reasonable that the problem would be furthered by not banning the poster immediately.

2. The offense is generally accepted as being worthy of at least a temp ban.

3. The mod of that forum doesn't mind.

Seeing how the case with Assani meets all three of these, I think Dynasty was fine in doing it.

JaredL 02-13-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo modding outside one's forum should go unquestioned as long as it meets these three requirements:

1. Most importantly, its reasonable that the problem would be furthered by not banning the poster immediately.

2. The offense is generally accepted as being worthy of at least a temp ban.

3. The mod of that forum doesn't mind.

Seeing how the case with Assani meets all three of these, I think Dynasty was fine in doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

Basically, I think the key is to use common sense. Unfortunately, there are some mods that don't have it so they should just never mod outside their forum.