Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   decide which nfl team i should be fan of (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=552101)

Dropkick Brian 11-22-2007 08:13 AM

decide which nfl team i should be fan of

(cliff notes below)

beeing from europe, you can live 80 years without ever seeing one american football game in your life. however, im a big sports geek and through some friends, madden06-08 and the last 3 superbowls i decided to learn strategies and to follow the nfl season this year. im watching several games a week but to get things really exciting i want to have 1-3 teams i can sweat through the season.

current teams im watching more than others:

- patriots: ok so theyre like the big dominating soccer teams in europe, but i dont like brady and its boring to go with the best (?) team.

- colts: playing them in madden 08 franchise mode at the moment, i like manning and some others. also earning sympathy for the last 3 games where they struggled to win (lol_vinatieri)

- ny giants: i kinda like their logo (lol).

i kinda feel the need for a strong quarterback personality and a team in general thats worth sweating for. adding some stories or facts about the team and why i should be their fan would help me to some kinda bond with them.

cliffs notes: discovered nfl recently, need a team which is worth to sweat for for this season.

tomdemaine 11-22-2007 08:31 AM

Re: decide which nfl team i should be fan of

San Fran, for the lulz.

sightless 11-22-2007 08:44 AM

browns

zan nen 11-22-2007 08:59 AM

Out of the 3 you mentioned, Colts (but I hate them all)

Browns could use some love but it is another rival I hate

I kind of root for the Bears and Cardinals for other random teams

Completely biased and unbiased though, Steelers are the best team.

GMan42 11-22-2007 09:24 AM

Cowboys LDO.

You realize that everyone's either going to post their favorite team, or one of the perennial losers that will frustrate the crap out of you.

Uglyowl 11-22-2007 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like brady

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy

IggyWH 11-22-2007 09:30 AM

Come up with a favorite player or two and then cheer for that team. So it's two-fold cheering, you're hoping the guy you like does good and his team does good, which in turn is good for that player.

Sounds like to me, you're a Colts fan.

Dropkick Brian 11-22-2007 09:47 AM

thx all for ur replies

[ QUOTE ]
San Fran, for the lulz.

[/ QUOTE ]
youre right, saw them, entertaining stuff

[ QUOTE ]
Completely biased and unbiased though, Steelers are the best team.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh i forgot em for the pole, another possible choice for quarterback worshippaments

[ QUOTE ]
You realize that everyone's either going to post their favorite team, or one of the perennial losers that will frustrate the crap out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, always hard when it comes to sports teams but i get some kind of an idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Come up with a favorite player or two and then cheer for that team. So it's two-fold cheering..
Sounds like to me, you're a Colts fan.

[/ QUOTE ]
good advice. yeah, looks like i am, but its very possible thats just because i know many players from my madden franchise and i like that manning looks like a cartoon figure.... really hard to find criteria without some kind of heritage or smth. in general im more a person that roots for underdogs, but otherwise it would be great to see my team in the playoffs. maybe i should book some bets.

AlexM 11-22-2007 10:05 AM

The Bengals have by far the coolest helmets. No one sane denies this. Thus, you should be a Bengals fan regardless of how much they suck.

StevieG 11-22-2007 10:32 AM

I grew up in South Philly, not far from where the Eagles play. I have lived in Minneapolis, Boston, and now Baltimore, all cities where teams have loyal followings.

And I am going to go against all that and tell you to be a fan of the Green Bay Packers. The team has a long and distinguished history, have a unique relationship with their fans since the community literally owns the team, and play in a revered venue (meaning that when you make your pilgrimage to see them, you'll have a great place to go).

They also have a QB who is a living legend in Favre, but likely in his final year or two playing.

Tweety 11-22-2007 10:37 AM

Don't pick a team like the Colts or Pats that are already well established. You'll get a lot more satisfaction from picking a team that has shown some flashes, has some good young players, has a legit shot at the playoffs this year, and has a bright looking future in general.

Teams that fit this mold include Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa, Arizona, and maybe Buffalo.

Avoid becoming a fan of the really horrible teams like the Jets, San Fran, Oakland, and the Dolphins.

GSykes 11-22-2007 10:42 AM

http://www.jocksandjills.com/dims/Im...es3%5B1%5D.gif

Tweety 11-22-2007 10:44 AM

Agree on the Packers. They have the storied history and a great fan base. That would be a good choice.

nath 11-22-2007 10:45 AM

OP,

If you like strong quarterback play, the only choice is the Atlanta Falcons. Their franchise QB is merciless!

tomdemaine 11-22-2007 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

If you like strong quarterback play, the only choice is the Atlanta Falcons. Their franchise QB is merciless!

[/ QUOTE ]

Though not a good choice if you're a fan of the underdog

PLO8FaceKilla 11-22-2007 10:51 AM

cheer for the colts.

If you like teams that benefit from biased officials and rule changes that directly benefit your team, they are right up your alley.

metsandfinsfan 11-22-2007 11:00 AM

become a dolphins fan. they can only get better and when they do you can say "i became a fan of them back when they sucked"

Karak567 11-22-2007 11:15 AM

I'm a Giants fan, and I say root for the Giants.

They are usually competitive every year and always field an exciting team. However, they are not one of the super dominant teams like the Pats or Colts, so no one will call you a front runner.

PokerFink 11-22-2007 11:16 AM

Don't become an Eagles fan. It's torture.

EPiPeN11 11-22-2007 11:39 AM

Pats fan ftw

fatshaft 11-22-2007 11:53 AM

OTHER: The Dolphins

1. The Dolphins are currently the worst team in NFL, so rather than becoming an NFL equivalent of a plastic Scouser, or Essex boy Man U fan, you can say you've supported them since they were [censored]! Remember the NFL is very cyclical, no-one stays god forever, and no-one stays bad.

2. The MIAMI Dolphins. Miami = Florida = nice place for BRits to go on holiday, so if you're there you can go to a game. (this applies equally or even moreso to the Bucs, so consider them option B)

3. They have the best uniform [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

4. The Dolphins cheerleaders [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5. Because they have the biggest UK following, even if Sky don't show them as the main game at 6pm, they are nearly always on the "red button", so you can watch them just about every week. They were shown the first 7 weeks straight this season, and only now with their shocking record have they been dropped.

LuckyLloyd 11-22-2007 11:55 AM

The Detroit Lions. It's more fun following the plucky underachievers. And they have Jon Kitna at QB. I'd take a bullet for that man.

fatshaft 11-22-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboys LDO.

[/ QUOTE ]Cowboys = the team everyone loves to hate, "Americas Team"

Although for Americans I beleive Miami are pretty near the top of everyone's hate list, so that could be number 6 on my list [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pudge714 11-22-2007 12:04 PM

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4...nicamp2za4.jpg

BillNye 11-22-2007 12:28 PM

Browns are awesome:
Braylon Edwards
Kellen Winslow
Derek Anderson (untill they get rid of him for Quinn and ruin their franchise).

Semtex 11-22-2007 12:28 PM

Dolphins. They are going to run up the score on the Pats

xorbie 11-22-2007 12:30 PM

I'd go with Arizona or Cleveland. They're on their way up, young teams, great offenses (or potential). Ownership doesn't seem horrible, although coaching is spotty (so at least you have something to blame things on when you don't win). You'll have a chance, but be left on the cusp for at least a few more seasons, building up some anticipation. They aren't particularly popular teams and have had no recent success, so nobody will have anything to complain about.

Bloop 11-22-2007 01:14 PM

Any stupid reason would do:

I am a Swede and had to find a team to follow along when I was around 10 or so. I thought Joe Montana was an indescribably cool name, a hero QB, and his videogame for the Sega Genesis system was what really opened up my eyes to the sport. It helped that the 9ers were a great team as well. Now I stick with them even though they are truly horrible. They won't stay that way forever. They can't. Please.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...21-Posters.jpg

However,if I was in your situation today I'd go with Green Bay Packers too for the reasons mentioned above.

SuperUberBob 11-22-2007 01:58 PM

In my completely biased opinion, you should be a Giants fan.

bellytimber 11-22-2007 02:07 PM

The Chicago Bears...

have one of the most honored histories in the NFL, they're from one of the coolest cities in the county, and they have a large and super devoted fan base. Their uniforms are sweet. Their identity is pretty badass--historically they have a scary defense (fun), a punishing running game (grr), and are completely helpless at quarterback (something to hope for; hey as a new fan you don't want everything perfect right from the start). When informed groups of people vote on the best single team of all-time, the 1985 Bears usually win, and are always in the top three. Walter Payton, the face of the Bears, is pretty much the quintessence of football. The Bears inspire strong feelings, but they aren't nearly as nationally loathed as say the Cowboys or lately the Patriots. The Bears are currently the only NFL team with a sex cannon. The typical fan is tough, fun, has a BAC of .08, and has found ways to root for his team without wearing a a retarded hat of cheese. I give you...Da Bears.

LocustHorde 11-22-2007 03:08 PM

The Seahawks.
1. You would stand out apart from the lemmings who root for teams like the Cowboys, Packers, colts, Patriots, and Bears

2. You would be rooting for good guys, we don't have any players who condone dog fighting

3. Jeremy Stevens isn't on the team anymore

4. Their offense is now pretty exciting without Shaun Alexander bottlenecking their new scheme.

5. The defense is one of the leaders in the NFL in sacks

6. Boone Stutz is the long snapper

ADLinden 11-22-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
browns

[/ QUOTE ]

ADLinden 11-22-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They aren't particularly popular teams

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy.

vixticator 11-22-2007 03:18 PM

The Lions have a long history and have never won a Superbowl. Finally have a good coaching staff and some great weapons to work with when the offensive line gets help. On the way up. Superbowl 2010.

Troll_Inc 11-22-2007 03:35 PM

Whatever you pick come up with a better story than "an internets messaging board helped me pick my team". (Even if it's true.)

illini43 11-22-2007 03:51 PM

As a lifelong Bears fan, I have to say... the PACKERS!!! WHAT!!!??/!!!!

Even though I usually hate the Packers, I am pulling for them this year to win for Farve. Just as you can't really hate Manning (or Tony Dungy) because of his level of professionalism on and off the field, Farve is in the same category.

I would go with a team that has a storied tradition:

Bears/Packers/Steelers/Redskins/Colts/Cowboys

TheRover 11-22-2007 04:12 PM

Just make sure it is a team with a good young passing attack. The Colts are the safe choice, but they might be on the downside. They'll still have the GOAT though and hopefully Polian.

Browns seem like the best unbandwagonish pick.

I like what Seattle and New Orleans are doing right now. Not sure how long it'll last in Seattle. Cincinnati if they get their o-line sorted. Might be a problem that N.O. is the only city of these I'd consider remotely worth traveling from Europe to visit for things to do aside from watch a football game while there.

Just avoid teams with [censored] QB situations and you'll do fine. I wouldn't have a problem with someone just supporting 2-3 teams that are fun to watch and well run, changing teams as necessary, as long you can see the difference between entertaining and just picking teams that win the most.

If I did that I'd go Indy/N.O./G.B. for the rest of this season and for however long Favre sticks around.

I'm only ignoring Detroit as it's hard to say what they'll do in the future at QB and how long Martz will stay, but for the rest of this season only...

CIncyHR 11-22-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4...nicamp2za4.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Dropkick Brian 11-22-2007 08:18 PM

thanks for all your long and good replies. im gonna study your candidates, plenty to choose from, lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Because they have the biggest UK following, even if Sky don't show them as the main game at 6pm, they are nearly always on the "red button", so you can watch them just about every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm german, so no Sky TV but i can watch every game i want from other SOURCES, so thatll be no problem.

[ QUOTE ]
The Bengals have by far the coolest helmets. No one sane denies this.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre absolutely [censored] right.

[ QUOTE ]
And I am going to go against all that and tell you to be a fan of the Green Bay Packers.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah i forgot to mention them too... they already have my sympathy now by what you told me.

[ QUOTE ]
4. The Dolphins cheerleaders

[/ QUOTE ]

gooood point! although im very disappointed about the cheerleaders tv time in general, maybe thats just because all the games i watch have no ads or pre/halftime/post show. but as i discovered all the teams have a special cheerleader section on their pages, which is very professional.

got a lot of free time after the weekend so im gonna watch many games and check all your team suggestions for my background education. thanx for your answers, really helping me, hard to learn this from nfl related sites.

MCS 11-23-2007 12:23 AM

Colts
Chargers