Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Jailed 2 years for oral sex, Genarlow Wilson finally gets off. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=425115)

Cornell Fiji 06-11-2007 01:19 PM

Jailed 2 years for oral sex, Genarlow Wilson finally gets off.

I know this case had been posted on 2p2 before. Wilson was the highschool football player with huge potential and ivy league scholarships who was put in jail for having CONSENTUAL oral sex. Some of his friends were also charged and pleaded guilty. He pleaded not guilty and got sentenced to 10 years in prison. After he was sentenced several appeals were made and a new law was passed so that no one would go to jail for consentual underaged oral sex again but his sentence was not overturned.

ESPN, Sports Illustrated, President Jimmy Carter, and Mark Cuban all came to his defense over the past two years.

[ QUOTE ]

Judge: No 10-Year Sentence for Teen Sex
Georgia Judge Voids 10-Year Sentence in Teen Consensual Sex Case, Orders Young Man Released

A Georgia judge ordered the release Monday of a man sentenced to 10 years in prison for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old girl when he was 17.

The judge threw out Genarlow Wilson's previous sentence and amended it to misdemeanor aggravated child molestation with a 12-month sentence, plus credit for time served. Under the new ruling, he will not be required to register as a sex offender.

Wilson, now 21, has been behind bars for more than two years.

"If this court or any court cannot recognize the injustice of what has occurred here, then our court system has lost sight of the goal our judicial system has always strived to accomplish ... justice being served in a fair and equal manner," wrote Judge Thomas H. Wilson, no relation to Genarlow Wilson.

The original sentence, for aggravated child molestation, was widely criticized on the grounds it was grossly disproportionate to the crime. State lawmakers later passed a law to close the loophole that led to the 10-year sentence.

"The fact that Genarlow Wilson has spent two years in prison for what is now classified as a misdemeanor, and without assistance from this Court, will spend eight more years in prison, is a grave miscarriage of justice," the judge wrote.

The attorney general's office did not immediately comment.

A Georgia Department of Corrections spokeswoman said the agency cannot take any action regarding Wilson nor comment on his case until it receives a copy of the judge's order. Wilson's lawyers said they expected to talk with prison officials in the afternoon.

Genarlow Wilson's lawyers applauded in their office and hugged his mother, who wiped away tears, as the order came over a fax machine.

"We right now have an order of release and I beg the attorney general of the state of Georgia please do not file an appeal," said Wilson's lawyer, B.J. Bernstein.

Wilson's mother, Juannessa Bennett, said, "I just feel like a miracle happened."

A jury found the honor student guilty in 2005 of aggravated child molestation for having oral sex with a 15-year-old girl during a 2003 New Year's Eve party involving alcohol and marijuana. Although the sex act was consensual, it was illegal under Georgia law.

Wilson was also charged with rape for being one of several male partygoers at the Douglas County hotel to have sex with a 17-year-old girl, but was acquitted. The party was captured on a videotape that was played for the jury.

Several influential people, including former President Jimmy Carter, stepped forward to support Wilson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to article -- Article from the AP wire

For more The appeal's website wilsonappeal.com

punkass 06-11-2007 01:21 PM

Re: Jailed 2 years for oral sex, Genarlow Wilson finally gets off.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Cornell Fiji 06-11-2007 01:22 PM

I swear I checked before I posted this.

Whatever, my thread had a better title

solids 06-11-2007 01:27 PM

It's really unfortunate that it took over two years to correct this backwards law and ridiculous sentance. The kid's life is pretty much in shambles, but thank God he's out.

RyanUSF 06-11-2007 01:30 PM

He never should've been jailed in the first place.

Alobar 06-11-2007 03:32 PM

I never saw the other thread, so im glad u posted this.

im glad hes out, that original story put me on tilt I was so pissed about it

CrazyEyez 06-11-2007 03:37 PM

As a show of solidarity/celebration I'll be asking my wife for a BJ tonite.

Oliver Nipples 06-11-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope she's 18.

Colombo 06-11-2007 03:55 PM

Is there any chance this kid can get involved with either college or pro football again?

Peter Harris 06-11-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

must have been really bad oral to take that long to get off. tee hee heheheh

solids 06-11-2007 04:26 PM

Turns out the attorney general is appealing the decision to overturn the original sentance, which means he isn't being released from jail (at least not yet). *sigh* This case is ridiculous.

Waterfall 06-11-2007 05:00 PM

Links to video?

Big Poppa Smurf 06-11-2007 06:05 PM

I hope he finds a way to sue the ever-living [censored] out of everyone for this

rjoefish 06-11-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never saw the other thread, so im glad u posted this.

im glad hes out, that original story put me on tilt I was so pissed about it

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not out, and he might not be as the AG is appealing saying a judge can't over turn a trial jury's decision. Its going to the state supreme court, as was said in the article.

bottomset 06-11-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turns out the attorney general is appealing the decision to overturn the original sentance, which means he isn't being released from jail (at least not yet). *sigh* This case is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

cue tilt round 2, how do idiots get into positions of extreme power?

Freakin 06-11-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

must have been really bad oral to take that long to get off. tee hee heheheh

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, awesome

Dids 06-11-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cue tilt round 2, how do idiots get into positions of extreme power?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, and just my guess, this is less about the specifics of the kid's case, and more about the AG thinking that the judge has overstepped his bounds and pissing on his yard to keep him in his place. In some ways it makes sense, but it's a horrible spot to make a stand given the kid's situation.

jba 06-11-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... said Wilson's lawyer, B.J. Bernstein

[/ QUOTE ]

really???

cbloom 06-11-2007 06:35 PM

I guarantee if he was white/wealthy he wouldn't have gone to prison.

BTW this blog on it is hilarious:

http://rashid.oldgoldsoul.com/diary/...es/000676.html
Deja Vu: The Genarlow Wilson Case (Old Gold Soul :: The Diary)

esad 06-11-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee if he wasn't a good football player nobody would've even heard of him or cared if he gets out of prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

SNOWBALL 06-11-2007 07:07 PM

New rule: if the AG appeals and loses, then he has to do Genarlow's time.

JackWilson 06-11-2007 07:24 PM

Wow.

I had never heard of this case, but it makes me angry. There's so much injustice in this world and it seems the only thing you can do about it is beat your head against the wall until it bleeds.

The fact that the Attorney General wants this guy to serve out the rest of his sentence...just wow. 10 years?

WTF?

Having now read up on Georgia recent laws...that's all I can really say. WTF were these people thinking? Sodomy (oral sex) in the privacy of one's own home is a crime that can carry a sentence of up to 20 years? 20 years? For oral sex?

And get this:
"...the Georgia Supreme Court denied a motion to reconsider its refusal to hear the case. The presiding judge wrote that she was "very sympathetic to Wilson's argument regarding the injustice of sentencing this promising young man with good grades and no criminal history to 10 years in prison without parole and a lifetime registration as a sexual offender because he engaged in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old victim only two years his junior," but that she was bound by the letter of the law."

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. The laws should be made to serve the best interest of the people, not the other way around.

szw 06-11-2007 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. The laws should be made to serve the best interest of the people, not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading about this story in OOT the first time, and was equally enraged. I really couldn't wrap my head around how this was even possible. The judge knows this is wrong, but can't do anything about it? I honestly know nothing about the legal system but isn't there some panel of judges or something from around the country that can say, ok, this is just wrong. Lets figure out a way around this? It just doesn't make any sense to me! Perhaps I'm very ignorant about how laws work.

Annorax 06-11-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

I had never heard of this case, but it makes me angry. There's so much injustice in this world and it seems the only thing you can do about it is beat your head against the wall until it bleeds.

The fact that the Attorney General wants this guy to serve out the rest of his sentence...just wow. 10 years?

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your problem should be with the morans that wrote and voted that garbage into law, not the attorney general who did his job and prosecuted that guy. He did the crime, he really should do the time. No matter how retarded the law is, he broke it and should suffer the consequences.

That said... lifetime sex offender registration and 10 years for a BJ? Seems like jury nullification would've been about perfect.

JasonK 06-11-2007 08:16 PM

Seems like as good a time as any for a pardon.

cbloom 06-11-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He did the crime, he really should do the time. No matter how retarded the law is, he broke it and should suffer the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew about all the garbage old laws on the books you wouldn't say this.

Furthermore there are lots of legal options to not send the kid to jail. A pardon is one. Another which is quite standard is to let him appeal and let him stay out of jail during the appeal. Of course if the appeals are eventually denied he would go to jail, but it could be deferred to house arrest, etc. etc.

MelchyBeau 06-11-2007 08:33 PM

another big issue was this guy would be labeled as a sexual predator. This means he would be in the same class as child molesters and rapists. Imagine that over your head for the rest of your life

SNOWBALL 06-11-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think your problem should be with the morans that wrote and voted that garbage into law, not the attorney general who did his job and prosecuted that guy. He did the crime, he really should do the time. No matter how retarded the law is, he broke it and should suffer the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

living with your girlfriend is illegal in most states. There's at least one state where it's not rape if her socks are off. Do you think those laws should be followed too?

That's maybe besides the point. The prosecutor has a ton of discretion. Partly because he/she is supposed to serve the public good and prioritize, and partly because he/she has limited resources.

For example, I was punched repeatedly in the head by a crazy girl and didn't fight back, and had a dozen witnesses all saying I didn't do anything physical to her, AND I got it all on video tape. The DA decided not to prosecute. Although I resent the decision, I can see how it might be justified given that I wasn't seriously injured, and perhaps the DA had more serious matters to attend to.

traxamillion 06-11-2007 08:35 PM

I am 21 and have sex with 17 year olds semi-regularly. So do many people I know and it is often joked about. I am from California rather than some backwards hick state. Is it still really that bad?

SNOWBALL 06-11-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am 21 and have sex with 17 year olds semi-regularly. So do many people I know and it is often joked about. I am from California rather than some backwards hick state. Is it still really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

the age of consent here in CA is 18, and you're more than just slightly over the line, so I'd be cautious if I were you.

cbloom 06-11-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In San Luis Obispo they definitely prosecute this. Mainly it's only an issue if her parents find out or if you break her heart and she decides to get even.

Case Closed 06-11-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another big issue was this guy would be labeled as a sexual predator. This means he would be in the same class as child molesters and rapists. Imagine that over your head for the rest of your life

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet he would enjoy having a nice green license plate for his troubles.

cbloom 06-11-2007 09:03 PM

Anyway, more on track, in lots of states, any type of anal sex is a felony, oral sex, etc. Looks like Texas' sodomy law was tossed in 2003. Standard practice in Texas was to ignore it if it was consensual male-female but to prosecute gays and other non-standard situations.

tarheeljks 06-11-2007 09:09 PM

yeah, a lot of these anti-sodomy laws are just veiled anti gay laws, which is just as ridiculous. also, i'm glad this kid finally got off

cking 06-12-2007 07:00 AM

another beat: My school played his school back in high school (im same age so can only assume he was playing in the same game). They sucked, we won big.

But in all seriousness this whole thing is just freaking retarded and makes me kind of regret where i come from.

schwza 06-12-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's at least one state where it's not rape if her socks are off.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can guarantee you 100% that this is not true. source?

qdmcg 06-12-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's at least one state where it's not rape if her socks are off.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard

duckman 06-13-2007 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jailed 2 years for oral sex, Genarlow Wilson finally gets off
Gettin off was what landed him in prison in the first place

mickii 06-13-2007 02:44 AM

To avoid prison for underage sex I just abuse myself watching Sweet life of Zach and Cody

testaaja 06-13-2007 04:13 AM

What the [censored]. This puts me on life tilt OMGGGGGGGG. Seriously that guy's life is pretty [censored] now. They probably put him in jail because they were jealous or something.