Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555184)

JMP300z 11-26-2007 10:26 PM

Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed.

Before you say "see previous threads", know that I have spent an hour going through them and amazon and have only slightly narrowed down my choices.

I'm finishing up with finals and boards and will be spending two and a half peaceful weeks on the beach in the Caribbean and need some fresh reading material.

I already have a non-fiction backlog of books I'm halfway through (GEB, the great influenza, the origin of wealth, conspiracy of fools to name a few) that I am setting aside temporarily.

I just finished Infinite Jest and rekindled my love for fiction.

Some of my favorites include Gatsby, Dorian Gray, anything Borges, Easton-Ellis, Vonnegut, catch 22, nabokov, dostoevsky, also enjoy sci fi-have read heinlein, card, adams.

Some books/authors I have noted from past threads:

Will prob pick one of these two I cant believe I havent read:
To Kill a Mockingbird
In Cold Blood
Read one? both? Which first?

Also looking into Eco or Roth? I wasn't really sold on the Amazon info/reviews.

Any ideas on short stories? Have obv read 9 stories. Also recently enjoyed Hempel and O'brien.

SciFi ideas: Cryptonomicron? Neuromancer? Ive heard good things about these.

Also, whats a good translation of Brother's Karamazov to read? I've read about half of a really poor one and want to switch.

Any other varied suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-JP

Enrique 11-26-2007 11:09 PM

Re: Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed

I just recently read Cryptonomicon and I think it was excellent. Check it out.

Azizal 11-26-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Finished about 2 weeks ago and it put me in a mood to read everything Stephenson has written. The Baroque Cycle is a loose prequel to Cryptonomicon, apparently.

Glad you enjoyed Infinite Jest. I was considering re-reading it as it's been 8-9 years.

You should check out A Game of Thrones (fantasy) and the subsequent books. They are incredible: gritty, realistic, raw, unforgiving, and unbelievably detailed.

irishiain 11-27-2007 12:00 AM

I've been on a Vince Flynn kick lately.

If you like fast, racy thrillers check some of his stuff out.

oe39 11-27-2007 09:02 AM

Re: Some New Reading Recommendations? Varied Genre suggestions needed.

after reading ian mcewan - enduring love, i went out and bought 5 more of his books. it's not a very long book...

Enrique 11-27-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after reading ian mcewan - enduring love, i went out and bought 5 more of his books. it's not a very long book...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read McEwan's "Saturday" and I loved it.

Potvaliant 11-27-2007 11:45 PM

If you like Borges, you might like Italo Calvino. The short story collections Cosmicomics, Numbers in the Dark, and t zero might remind you most of Borges, though my favorites are the novels The Baron in the Trees and If on a Winter's Night a Traveller.

diddyeinstein 11-28-2007 11:29 AM

A Game of Thrones was a good pick.

I would say start with In Cold Blood, but that's just because I liked it so much.

KungFuManchu 11-29-2007 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, whats a good translation of Brother's Karamazov to read? I've read about half of a really poor one and want to switch.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Which translation are you reading? I just picked up the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (husband/wife team)...Ive heard they are really good. Then again Ive never read Doestoevsky, but I picked up Crime and punishment and Brothers K after reading an interview where he said he loves melville, Faulkner and Doestovesky.

KungFuManchu 11-29-2007 05:52 AM

Oh and Neuromancer is good stuff, Im reading it for the second time at the moment.

I also second Game of Thrones, great series. HBO is going to be filming the first of these books in the near future, each book being a whole season.

diebitter 11-29-2007 08:42 AM

To Kill a Mocking Bird is really worth reading.

Also: I Claudius, Lord of the Flies, The Name of the Rose by Eco, 1984, Dune, Surely you're joking Mr Feynman, Silas Marner, Cannery Row by Steinbeck, The Old Man and the Sea, It! by Stephen King, I am Legend by Richard Matheson (read it before the film comes out).

WE NEED TO RUN A BOOK CLUB SOME TIME!

JMP300z 11-29-2007 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, picked it up yesterday and am already reading that instead of studying for finals!

JMP300z 11-29-2007 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like Borges, you might like Italo Calvino. The short story collections Cosmicomics, Numbers in the Dark, and t zero might remind you most of Borges, though my favorites are the novels The Baron in the Trees and If on a Winter's Night a Traveller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checked out that link and read a bit of Cosmicomics. It seemed very much up my alley and I already have ordered it.

Thanks.

JMP300z 11-29-2007 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A Game of Thrones was a good pick.

I would say start with In Cold Blood, but that's just because I liked it so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Game of Thrones looks to be a good pick but I'll have to back burner it for a while.

I ordered In Cold Blood.

-JP

Blarg 11-29-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Checked out that link and read a bit of Cosmicomics. It seemed very much up my alley and I already have ordered it.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always good to hear Calvino getting some love. The guy was a fantastic writer. Cosmicomics was tremendously imaginative and fun.

Enrique 11-29-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am game for that.

JMP300z 11-29-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]