Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***Official USF vs. Rutgers Thread *** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525678)

4_2_it 10-18-2007 09:06 AM

***Official USF vs. Rutgers Thread ***

I will be at the game tonight. If I see Holtz or Herbstreet I will kick them in the nuts for disrespecting USF. I'll be the old guy in the USF jersey if they pan the crowd.

Gametime weather is supposed to 70 degrees with a chance of showers. If USF doesn't turn the ball over 4 times I think they win this one comfortably. The Rutgers D Line is overmatched and USF D shouldn't have much trouble with Rice. The USF corners can man up the RU WRs and allow the Bulls to keep a lot of guys around the line of scrimmage. Moffitt probably gets 15 tackles tonight.

Well, back to trying to be productive for the next 6 hours..........

dlk9s 10-18-2007 09:10 AM

Re: ***Official USF vs. Rutgers Thread ***

They sell USF football jerseys?

Riverman 10-18-2007 10:19 AM

Having good games on Thursdays really helps me get through the week.

USF is due to have the breaks/turnovers go against them. Rutgers has underperformed this year and will be fired up to save their season. I see this one being close.

Also, the Big East may want to reconsider being on TV all the time for "exposure." Every week I am astounded at how bad the defense is in this conference.

4_2_it 10-18-2007 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the Big East may want to reconsider being on TV all the time for "exposure." Every week I am astounded at how bad the defense is in this conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have watched the USF Defense this year then. They shut down WVU and Auburn. They lead the nation in tackles for a loss, have the nation's leader in sacks and two of the best corners in the country.

Oh yeah, the Big East has 5 of the top 28 defenses right now. You must be horrified by the Big Ten and Pac Ten (2 teams each in the Top 30)LINKY

USF is 18th in Total D and 8th in Rushing D. They are 61st in passing D allowing 221 yards a game.

dlk9s 10-18-2007 10:39 AM

I think Riverman is the first person I've have ever heard of who is horrified by high scoring games.

Riverman 10-18-2007 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have watched the USF Defense this year then. They shut down WVU and Auburn. They lead the nation in tackles for a loss, have the nation's leader in sacks and two of the best corners in the country.

Oh yeah, the Big East has 5 of the top 28 defenses right now. You must be horrified by the Big Ten and Pac Ten (2 teams each in the Top 30)LINKY

USF is 18th in Total D and 8th in Rushing D. They are 61st in passing D allowing 221 yards a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, college team defense statistics are barely worth the paper they are printed on and you know it. There are way too many variables/hidden factors. Generally speaking, the Big East plays much softer non-conference competition than the conferences you mentioned. And blowout yardage/points that aren't really relevant to how good a defense is can skew things.

Are there some decent defenses in the Big East? Yes. Is USF's defense legit? Probably- they shut down an admittedly excellent WVU offense. But it is my personal belief that most teams in the conference have bad defenses.

I think USF is good, but has been running above expectation. Maybe they will prove me wrong.

TurdFerguson 10-18-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup Bro plays for USF?

TalkingDonkey 10-18-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup Bro is George Selvie?

[/ QUOTE ]

4_2_it 10-18-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup Bro is George Selvie?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Selvie has 20 already. Sup Bro is obviously his position coach and mentor.

Zach Belden 10-18-2007 03:09 PM

i will be watching at a bar tonight and I guess I'll root for rutgers. WOO

BowToYourSensei 10-18-2007 10:33 PM

this is tragic

MyTurn2Raise 10-18-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Riverman is the first person I've have ever heard of who is horrified by high scoring games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am as well

nutshot2 10-18-2007 11:03 PM

Oct 18 1:41pm Football - Pending 550.00 to win 500.00
1. Football - Rutgers - spread +2 (-110)
for the entire game held on Oct 18 at 6:45pm [pending]

go plz

nutshot2 10-18-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oct 18 1:41pm Football - Pending 550.00 to win 500.00
1. Football - Rutgers - spread +2 (-110)
for the entire game held on Oct 18 at 6:45pm [pending]

go plz

[/ QUOTE ]

tytytyty

jh12547 10-18-2007 11:39 PM

Those Rutgers fans love to rush the field!

BowToYourSensei 10-18-2007 11:40 PM

[censored] YOU NAVY! [censored] YOU NAVY!

Arnold_O 10-19-2007 12:06 AM

now i get to laugh at all the people who insisted south florida was the best team in the land

James282 10-19-2007 12:10 AM

great game i'm afraid a lot of people missed. these puts rutgers right in the hunt for the big east championship...but i fear WVU is a much worse matchup for them with the running QB and the sick RB.

James282 10-19-2007 12:10 AM

also nice pick by Zaire kitchen, who went to my high school and is friends with my little brother!

Triumph36 10-19-2007 12:23 AM

had them the whole way, ez game for rutgers

Tyler Durden 10-19-2007 12:27 AM

Did Michael Strahan say that his nephew was playing in tonight's game during his interview? If so, who is his nephew? Thanks.

James282 10-19-2007 12:28 AM

nephew plays baseball, collecting their big east championship rings at halftime.

Semtex 10-19-2007 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
now i get to laugh at all the people who insisted south florida was the best team in the land

[/ QUOTE ]
just until ohio state loses. in that other thread i said there is no clear cut #1 team this year, its too close, but at that point USF had to be ranked higher based on strength of the teams they had beaten.

Arnold_O 10-19-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
just until ohio state loses. in that other thread i said there is no clear cut #1 team this year, its too close, but at that point USF had to be ranked higher based on strength of the teams they had beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

should be interesting, if only OSU had a little more firepower on offense

MyTurn2Raise 10-19-2007 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put them #1 in my poll, but I never argued they were the best team

After mid-point of the season, I just create polls that are purely results-oriented. That's how champions are crowned in all sports; based on their results.

I never thought USF was the best team. I'm not sure they were in the top10 teams. However, they had put up the best results. A road win against Auburn, home win verse West Virginia, domination @ UNC, domination @ UCF, and with no slip-ups is better than any other team has done this year on the field.

Just like I'll likely put USF ahead of USC in my poll after this week. I don't think USF is the better team, but they will have had the better results.

Arnold_O 10-19-2007 04:51 AM

i'll probably keep USF exactly where i had them, around 11 or so.

think i had them at 14 2 weeks ago and maybe 10th last week

[ QUOTE ]
my rankings:

1. OSU -- defense is outstanding, offense is decent/good
2. LSU -- still like 'em
3. Cal -- can't help it, explosive offense but lost w/out Longshore
4. Oklahoma -- how did this team lose to Colorado?
5. Oregon -- love this team, very impressive
6. Arizona State -- want to see them go far, Cal game should be good
7. Kentucky -- solid
8. South carolina
9. South Florida (if they keep winning i will move them up, not impressed yet with victories over Elon and Florida atlantic escape)
10. Boston College -- need to keep winning before i move them up

11. West Virginia
12. missouri
13. Kansas -- we will see if they are for real
14. Florida
15. USC
16. Virginia Tech
17. auburn
18 georgia
19 tennesse
20 virginia
21 illinois
22. cincy
23 penn state
24 Kansas State
25. texas

[/ QUOTE ]

jmill2511 10-19-2007 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait what? I haven't heard anyone say that.

4_2_it 10-19-2007 08:12 AM

Well, South Florida certainly did not live up to the hype last night. Give Rutgers credit. They pulled out all the stops and their D held at the end when it had to. It was a fun game to go to. At least I got to talk to Lee Roy Selmon before the game. Apparently Mr Kelly Ripa was int eh USF tailgate tent as well, though I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line-up.

Triumph36 10-19-2007 11:34 AM

Lee Roy Selmon - what an orange and white beast.

4_2_it 10-19-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a HOFer he was incredibly nice and down to earth. He really enjoyed meeting and talking with USF fans.

(Note: Selmon spearheaded the original fundraising drive which allowed USF to begin a football program. It would be accurate to call him the father of USF football.)

Triumph36 10-19-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a HOFer he was incredibly nice and down to earth. He really enjoyed meeting and talking with USF fans.

(Note: Selmon spearheaded the original fundraising drive which allowed USF to begin a football program. It would be accurate to call him the father of USF football.)

[/ QUOTE ]

cool - two of my cousins went to USF and were involved in their football program pretty much from the beginning (not players, but helped out with practices, etc.). It's pretty remarkable what they've done in only what, 11 years?

4_2_it 10-19-2007 02:10 PM

Yep this is the 11th year from when they started playing D2. I think they will have a very competitive team year in and year out as long as Coach Jim stays (since he is a St Pete native, I expect him to be around a while longer.)

USF sold out its entire allotment of tickets (about 2k or so I was told) for this game. I expect they will sell out most if not all of their bowl ticket allotment. The program is definitely on the rise.

I originally thought USF would contend for a major bowl birth in 2 years when Grothe and most of the starters are seniors with home games vs WVU and Louisville, but it just happened a little ahead of plan.

If you would have polled USF fans at the beginning of the season, most would have been happy with a share of the Big East title, a bowl win and Top 25 ranking. Funny how expectations change.....