Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   PokerStars TV Commercials (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547487)

PokerBob 11-16-2007 06:03 AM

PokerStars TV Commercials

This question was deemed too low-brow for the Diablo forum. Maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Can someone please explain why PokerStars has both Hachem and Negreanu attempting to do athletic things in their recent commercials?

Negraneau runs extremely unnaturally, almost as if he is concentrating on not somehow screwing up. Hachem looks clumsy and awkward shooting those free throws.

I understand that both guys are recognizable figures in the poker world, and so you want your site associated with them. But I gotta believe that their are better ways to connect your site with them that play to their strengths.

beaver 11-16-2007 06:27 AM

Re: PokerStars TV Commercials

Daniel playing street hockey has got to be the silliest one of all...

PokerBob 11-16-2007 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel playing street hockey has got to be the silliest one of all...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the fact that they managed to work Babyhan into the commercial.

Ricky_Bobby 11-16-2007 08:23 PM

I think the Hachem one was much worse. He shoots like a girl and he doesn't even keep his feet planted. I wouldn't want millions of people to see me perform some activity at which I sucked.

The weirdest part is that they got that other Canadian/Vietnamese guy who final tabled the main event bumping into Negraneau. err, maybe that's the guy Bob is referring to.

I guess they're trying to appeal to a more athletic, non-degen crowd. Then again, a lot of the young players are the athletic types who found poker via ESPN, so I don't really know.

PokerBob 11-16-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Hachem one was much worse. He shoots like a girl and he doesn't even keep his feet planted. I wouldn't want millions of people to see me perform some activity at which I sucked.

The weirdest part is that they got that other Canadian/Vietnamese guy who final tabled the main event bumping into Negraneau. err, maybe that's the guy Bob is referring to.

I guess they're trying to appeal to a more athletic, non-degen crowd. Then again, a lot of the young players are the athletic types who found poker via ESPN, so I don't really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they want to appeal to the more athletic/jock crowd, great. But anyone athletic is going to look at those 2 guys doing what they were doing and have the same reaction I did. It's just a disaster IMO.

Ricky_Bobby 11-16-2007 10:39 PM

I guess the geniuses at Poker Stars didn't realize how awkward DN and Hachem actually looked.

I don't get it either. I find both ads off-putting.

Micro Donk 11-16-2007 10:47 PM

next TV commercial released: greg raymer running track

yaaam1484 11-16-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
post delievered

sightless 11-16-2007 10:59 PM

dont they have one where Negranu is running somewhere for some reason alerady?

FTP's commecrials are by far better than stars

Eponymous 11-16-2007 11:05 PM

I think they know they don't look athletic, and they're trying to appeal to guys who want to relive their past glory in sports (or live out what they never had) through poker. Having these guys look not very athletic is less threatening and more inviting to take them and others on at the poker tables. That's what I think they're going for, but they just look dorky to me. Especially watching Hachem shoot free throws. Shaq could give him lessons.

Micro Donk 11-16-2007 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont they have one where Negranu is running somewhere for some reason alerady?

FTP's commecrials are by far better than stars

[/ QUOTE ]

hes just jogging alone

competitive track is completely different

blankoblanco 11-16-2007 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in his track socks and track sandals

MicroBob 11-16-2007 11:47 PM

I think FTP's commercials look better also.
Stars commercials just look kind of cheap and silly almost. Although the whole Atlantis trip with Negreneau thing they have been pushing looks better to me.
And I haven't paid that much attention to it but Negreneau playing hockey looks a bit better to me.

Maybe in the next commercial we can see Raymer vs. Moneymaker fighting UFC style!!

bowlman628 11-17-2007 08:13 AM

can someone find these commercials on youtube or something?

99killed 11-17-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe in the next commercial we can see Raymer vs. Moneymaker fighting UFC style!!

[/ QUOTE ]
damn bob ur everywhere....u beat me to a moneymaker joke. wp sir

FoldALot. 11-17-2007 12:07 PM

All the Stars commercials I've seen were godawful: either extremely dull or extremely annoying, or both. Terrible job they're doing.

FTP's are pretty good. There's no question that based on the commercials alone, FTP should attract more new players than Stars.

The Harv 11-18-2007 03:45 AM

Check out the clip of Daniel at the driving range. He's got like a 7 iron and the ball is teed up about three inches high... Hilarious

Sniiii 11-18-2007 11:15 AM

Could someone put up a link to these commercials? Haven't seen them.

Webjoker 11-18-2007 12:20 PM

http://www.pokerstars.net/poker/tv/

Putin 11-22-2007 02:22 PM

sucks

Ramon Scott 11-22-2007 11:00 PM

Danny from Toronto and puts on a decent spin move. Certainly, he has played plenty of hockey before, prolly street and ice.

PokerBob 11-22-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Danny from Toronto and puts on a decent spin move. Certainly, he has played plenty of hockey before, prolly street and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

he looks like he has never run before in his life.

Zorlac 11-22-2007 11:47 PM

Sounds like an idea for a thread - poker TV commercials we SHOULD never see.... Bill Gazes kicking field goals, Hellmuth swinging a driver, Fricke running the Boston marathon.....

.Z

Olbatar 11-23-2007 07:35 AM

Hey guys, this is called marketing. It doesn't have to be perfect nor to please 2+2 forumers, it's made to get people to identify.

Average Joe is happy to see pro players suck at hockey, what he sees is that this guy tries hard, very hard in everything he does, and so did he to achieve his pro status and carreer.

I guess the aim of the ad is to show that poker has nothing to do with luck, it's all about practice practice and practice, somehing everybody believes in (unlike luck). A guy fitted like Negreanu can become pro with hard work, and so can you.

I like the ads, the spirit and the music, really good work from PS.

z32fanatic 11-23-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also like how he spins around Tuan Lam in the hockey commercial. They probably told Tuan that he could be in the next commercial, but he had to get owned by Negreanu in return.

Army Eye 11-23-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an idea for a thread - poker TV commercials we SHOULD never see.... Bill Gazes kicking field goals, Hellmuth driving a race car, Fricke running the Boston marathon.....

[/ QUOTE ]

jmill2511 11-23-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, this is called marketing. It doesn't have to be perfect nor to please 2+2 forumers, it's made to get people to identify.

Average Joe is happy to see pro players suck at hockey, what he sees is that this guy tries hard, very hard in everything he does, and so did he to achieve his pro status and carreer.

I guess the aim of the ad is to show that poker has nothing to do with luck, it's all about practice practice and practice, somehing everybody believes in (unlike luck). A guy fitted like Negreanu can become pro with hard work, and so can you.

I like the ads, the spirit and the music, really good work from PS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I think these PS commercials are pretty terrible. If I watched a FullTilt commercial and then a Pokerstars one and I was a new player I would go to FullTilt over Stars easy.

sg23 11-27-2007 05:25 PM

The point of the sports analogy is to connect development of poker skill with the casual dynamic of team sport play and the skill building of individual practice. It also reinforces poker as a site of competition/bragging rights/etc. The script is intentionally quite basic to ram home the point that Stars/online poker = practice = profit. No cards or situations (which could confuse viewers) are shown.

In contrast, FTP ads often assume that the viewer knows enough about poker to get the jokes...the showboater ad, the 72o ad, the jesus suckout ad...They make a lot of sense to us but many others would be lost.

I enjoy the style and humor of the FTP ads but I would rather see more of the Stars poker-sports ads because I think they will attract more rank novices. Plus the way Hachem grabs the chips at the end is seriously hot.

Foreverastudent 11-27-2007 05:34 PM

I think the commercial with Daniel is racist. I'm shocked he did it. The ad executives assume that just because Daniel is Canadian, he must love hockey. Just because someone is Canadian doesn't mean that the love hockey...

PokerBob 11-28-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the commercial with Daniel is racist. I'm shocked he did it. The ad executives assume that just because Daniel is Canadian, he must love hockey. Just because someone is Canadian doesn't mean that the love hockey...

[/ QUOTE ]

i had no idea Canadian was a race. i learn something every day here at 2+2.

WindFallProfits 11-28-2007 05:07 PM

yeah hachem has one ugly jump shot. partypoker had the best commercials. it was funny and stupid but it attracted the fish. full tilt commercials are nice but they are too serious and makes people want to improve their game. i hate the one where harman folds her kings.

mucked4u 11-28-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you really need to lighten up and stop being so anal.
Daniel is a die hard Maple Leaf fan.
By the way we do love our hockey passionately. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Foreverastudent 11-28-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you really need to lighten up and stop being so anal.
Daniel is a die hard Maple Leaf fan.
By the way we do love our hockey passionately. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I was actually trying to make a funny here. Trust me, my tongue is firmly embedded in my cheek. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]