Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   The Effect An Avatar Has (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491484)

Conspire 09-01-2007 05:09 PM

The Effect An Avatar Has

Im sure that almost all of us have heard the saying "dont judge a book by its cover". How many of u actually live by that statement though? I know that I can come to quick conclusions about things/people just at first glance, and my first judgment is not always right.

On 2p2 we have the choice to choose almost anything that we want for an avatar. Our avatars are pretty much a quick representation on the kind of people that we are in my opinion. Some of us use celebrities that we like, we use hot girls, funny video clips, etc. etc..

When u first see someone that u dont know make a post, what do u look at first? The avatar or the post? If this site did not have personal avatars do u think communities like BBV4L and OOT would be just as crazy? I feel that having custom avatars is a good thing for 2p2 and helps us to uniquely express ourselves.

I tend to try to figure out who the people are behind that avatar. I see DieBitter and I generally think that he is a laid back guy, likes to joke around and is pretty much cool. I see Grimstarr and just see a tilty spewy person that can get easily angry. Where im going with this is, we pick our avatars for a reason and like it or not the type of people we are, are symbolized in our avatar.

Im interested to hear what other people think about avatars and how they can symbolize a person.

katyseagull 09-01-2007 05:19 PM

Re: The Effect An Avatar Has

You just want your old one back, don't ya. (j/k!)

What do you think about those of us who change our avatars? I remember bisonbison saying that people should never change their avatars (i think it was bison who said that). The reason being that we all associate an avatar with a specific poster. Changing it up makes a person look like a flake or something. It doesn't establish credibility. Your thoughts on that?

Personally, I'd be fine without them. I like judging people on the content of their posts as well as their names. That's good enough for me. That said, Diebitter has had some great avatars in the past. He's a good avatar picker.

p.s. What do you think Tuq'a avatar says about him?

Conspire 09-01-2007 05:29 PM

We change our avatars because we get bored with it, or maybe something changed in our 2p2 reputation or real life. Either way most of the time we choose something that we like and can identify/relate to.

When I first saw tuq I thought he was just another OOT regular and didnt think much of him (dont ban me!!). IMO his avatar fits the OOT community pefectly. He is very open minded, and knows a lot of random stuff.

tarheeljks 09-01-2007 05:33 PM

what about people w/o avatars?

katyseagull 09-01-2007 05:36 PM

To me, not having an avatar means you are unpretentious and trustworthy.

Conspire 09-01-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about people w/o avatars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont need to express themselves visually, they let their words visualize themselves.

Or u cant figure out what u really want [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

nick604 09-01-2007 05:54 PM

I read a lot of these forums via Blackberry - (it takes the pain out of my daily commute), and it displays the threads minus user pictures. When I log onto 2+2 via PC and see what avatars people actually have, I would say 80% of the time my opinion of the avatar goes along with whatever view I've taken of the poster up to that point.

OP, on a similar note what do you think of PS avatars? I use the following as a very general rule of thumb:

Babies/pets - bad players, there for fun

Anime pics - kids who have moved up from playing Magic etc, generally decent

Cute girls - can go either way: either decent players or bona fide donks

Pic of themselves wearing sunglasses or upturned cards showing aces/royal flush - fish who bluff far too much

"Official" site avatars (eg Neverwin/hi-lo poker.net) - I don't think I've ever played a competent player with one of these.

Once I've seen who's got what avatar, I tend to turn off all the human/pet pictures. Ugly kids and guys tend to tilt me, and I found myself being soft on the cute girls.

I recently switched my PS avatar from anime to a pair of cute girls, and I'm certain that opponents are playing softer towards me on the whole now.

Oh, and did the mods make you change your avatar where Chloe had her hand down her pants? That one was kinda fun, btw.

Kimbell175113 09-01-2007 06:13 PM

Usually it doesn't make a difference. Very few people have cool avatars and are bad posters (and those are easy to spot), or have bad avatars but are good posters (Phil153 is the only one I can think of).

John Cole 09-01-2007 06:14 PM

So what does having a saint mean? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

diebitter 09-01-2007 06:24 PM

You have very high aspirations is my guess.

Conspire 09-01-2007 06:25 PM

With pokerstars avatars I pretty much agree, there are always exceptions though. Basically if I see a kid/dog and have no stats on the player im gonna think they are weak.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and did the mods make you change your avatar where Chloe had her hand down her pants? That one was kinda fun, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didnt make, rather kindly asked me to, I of course obliged. It was fun since 2p2 loves to self love, know what I mean?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I wouldnt expect to see u making a post about having unprotected sex with someones wife. That saint avatar was your choice, why dont u tell us why u have it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

entertainme 09-01-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always loved your avatar John.

Conspire, I just moved yours out of site when my kid walked into the room.

Kimbell175113 09-01-2007 06:38 PM

Question: can people tell that my avatar is Stephen Colbert, or at that size does it just look like some dude with a cat?

tuq 09-01-2007 07:44 PM

Kimbell, I had no idea about your avatar. Hell I didn't even see the cat. When you've got a larger image squashed down it's hard to see a lot of stuff. If it's interesting I'll sometimes right click -> view image in firefox. It took me a super long time to realize what that dcasper's avatar was flipping us off because it was so small.

Conspire, this thread is an interesting one. I definitely and unfortunately assign +/- value to posters based off their avatar. I can't help it. For example, I probably think quite a bit more of SomethingClever's posts because Melissa is so hot, and the same goes for posters like punkass and onthebutton. And of course Conspire. The "boobies in action" gifs, while more fun to look at than nothing, seem a little puerile for my tastes, like someone is trying to hard to tell me they like boobs (amplify's avatar actually qualifies in this category but he's a cool old guy so I don't hold it against him). By no means am I saying these should be censored though.

On the flip, I see some really bad WTF avatars that kind of turn me off to the poster while they have them. I think sublime had one like this for awhile, AJackson (I think) had an avatar of some meth head chick, and there are others.

As for mine, it's probably been a solid year since the AsH thing went down and I started using it. I'm wondering if mine falls into the "think less of" category because it's an avatar of a goofball, albeit perhaps a lovable one. Generally agree with bisonbison but come the NBA season I will probably change to something Suns-related. Can't help myself.

ifoughtpiranhas 09-01-2007 07:56 PM

does anyone know who it is in my avatar?

midnightpulp 09-01-2007 08:01 PM

Jack White.

Great band.

ifoughtpiranhas 09-01-2007 08:03 PM

u ruined it. i have to change it now

stormstarter28 09-01-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question: can people tell that my avatar is Stephen Colbert, or at that size does it just look like some dude with a cat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, I had no idea. Sorry to say, I liked it better when I thought it was just some creepy guy.

MrWookie 09-01-2007 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was Bob Sagat.

rothko 09-01-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the context?

Conspire 09-01-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Conspire, this thread is an interesting one. I definitely and unfortunately assign +/- value to posters based off their avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume from our intimate conversations via pm, I am definitely a ( + )

daveT 09-01-2007 08:19 PM

Some of the avatars are fun to look at. My favorite is Photoc's.

Tuq, it's true. Your's scream OOT crowd.

I think that most people with girls in their avatar are hard-up for a woman. Probably not very attractive guys. Sorry. I have a woman in mine. Other's I think are their gf's, and that is usually obv because they may be pretty, but not super-model.

Animation Avatars seems like that these people have a good sense of fun, except a few. I find as a general rule, I hate all the human animations.

Avatars with dudes generally makes me think of someone who is hitched or married. And more straight-forward.

I never understood the sports avatars. I think that many of these posters tend to be very upfront.

Kimbell175113 09-01-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the context?

[/ QUOTE ]
He was reading from Ulysses for a Bloomsday thing on Broadway.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/Detai...6.hotseat.html

dboy23 09-01-2007 08:45 PM

I can't even remember why I picked my avatar.

KDawg 09-01-2007 10:01 PM

I've been thinking of changing this av for a bit, but, a passed out cat with an empty beer bottle next to it is quality

Conspire 09-01-2007 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that most people with girls in their avatar are hard-up for a woman. Probably not very attractive guys. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, and it generally fits with me and my avatar. FWIW im not a supermodel, but im not butt ugly, im a white boy 145lbs, 5`10. I just dont get out much, since I spend a lot of time on my computer.

katyseagull 09-01-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, why did you have to go and tell us that? I liked it better before I knew.

Conspire 09-01-2007 10:34 PM

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...nandancing.gif

katyseagull 09-01-2007 10:36 PM

ahaha, Conan. Nice.

tuq 09-01-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tuq, it's true. Your's scream OOT crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, don't know what to say about that. If that's the impression I'm giving off, it is what it is. In real life I'm "clique transcendent" and tend to have friends across multiple groups. Same thing here - I don't get bogged down in this forum wars crap and consider myself part of the community in multiple forums, some of which seem pointlessly at odds with each other.

Back to the avatar. I switched it once a long time ago and got a ton of crap from posters. Well, there are also people that can't stand it and would PM me to change it. As time goes on and people forget about the AsH thing I wonder what the relevance is of keeping it. But as long as it doesn't annoy people and they associate it with me in a non-negative way then it's probably gonna stay.

katyseagull 09-01-2007 10:55 PM

It makes me laugh. I think it gives you a softer side.

tarheeljks 09-01-2007 11:07 PM

i certainly notice them but they don't have any conscious effect on how i view posters. that could be b/c i spend of my time in the strat forums though.

dcasper70 09-01-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It took me a super long time to realize what that dcasper's avatar was flipping us off because it was so small.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you definitely didn't notice the candle...
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CharlieDontSurf 09-02-2007 12:24 AM

i have long sought that one avatar that one i saw it i would be like "thats perfect". This is def a keeper 4 me.
also my new one strangly made me feel 10 times more cooler n badass then i actually am

TheDudeAbides 09-02-2007 12:36 AM

I usually get pretty polarized comments about my avatar. People either seem to love it or hate it. I don't think it says anything about me other than that I have great taste in movies.

Dominic 09-02-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have long sought that one avatar that one i saw it i would be like "thats perfect". This is def a keeper 4 me.
also my new one strangly made me feel 10 times more cooler n badass then i actually am

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie, I liked you before, of course, but the fact you're using an image from my favorite film of all-time just put you into man-crush territory. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

rothko 09-02-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie, I liked you before

[/ QUOTE ]

SmokeyRidesAgain 09-02-2007 03:45 AM

I had to rake through adblock to see tuq's avatar, no wonder I blocked that. Terrible avatar.

I think people with hot girls are unimaginative or something, at least the ones that just look like pictures taken straight off a model's website. If it's not totally airbrushed or classically posed it's usually alright though. The ones with total plastic girls make me kind of wonder.

There is also the group who have Emma Watson avatars, I generally just flag them as virgins.

Anything with a really bad aspect ratio instantly makes me think the poster is a dip[censored], as do avatars that are just some random crap or are badly shopped.

I'm pretty superficial when it comes to avatars.

youtalkfunny 09-02-2007 06:41 AM

I wish long-term posters wouldn't change their avatars. Slight alterations (such as Christmas time) are ok.

Other than that, I have no thoughts on avatar/traits correlations.

AJW 09-02-2007 08:16 AM

I hate it when people change Avatars. I find random names much harder to remember. The combination of name and image allows me to keep track of people.
Kimbell175113 yes I recognised him though I couldn’t be entirely sure.
ifoughtpiranhas yes I'm sure all the British posters recognize Private Walker even if they can’t remember his name they remember him as the spiv. Id keep it, it represents a wide boy with a sense of humour.
Kdawg your cat with bear bottles is a prime example of my inability to separate posters from their Avatars. Every time I read your posts I’m expecting the cynicism and apathy of Boondocksaint who mods a Politics forum and used that image for a long time.
The only Avatars that I really hate are the very fast moving animated ones especially if they flash. I just don’t read what that poster has to say they give me a headache.