Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   News Flash: Elaine gives Ed's new book 5 stars (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=460433)

JackCase 07-25-2007 01:33 PM

News Flash: Elaine gives Ed\'s new book 5 stars

Review posted on Amazon:

[ QUOTE ]

(5 Stars) Professional No Limit Hold'Em Must Be Excellent, July 24, 2007
By Elaine Vigneault - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Based on the reviews from others on the poker forums, I have to assume the book is great. Here's what they had to say:

"I've read through the Basics chapters and have to say I am impressed so far. It is concise enough not to be a chore and still contains a lot of good information. I have high hopes for the rest of the book..."

"A lot of the information in this book has not been seen in such a user friendly format in any of the bazillion poker books I have read. This is a very high quality book with critical concepts for mastering 'stack limit' holdem I can already give this book a wayyyyyyyyyy thumbs up and I still have half left to read."

"I really did learn a ton from the second half of the book, which will hopefully make me lots of money in the future."

"This book will do a good job of helping to turn marginal players into successful ones. The ideas presented of REM, commitment, and stack to pot ratios do an excellent job of describing how to eliminate some huge flaws I have seen in other players. As a mid limit pro, I was already aware of these concepts in a vague form, but as described they really helped me understand them in theory and practice."

If you're considering this book, you may also want to take a look at these other Ed Miller books:
No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice
Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play
Getting Started in Hold 'em

[/ QUOTE ]

Tacky [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

uDevil 07-25-2007 02:02 PM

Re: News Flash: Elaine gives Ed\'s new book 5 stars

It's not like she only reviews Ed's books. She gave Winning Secrets of Poker: Interviews with the Game's Best Players , a book that Ed recommended, 4 stars.

Surely she realizes she will be recognized. She should have disclosed her relationship. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with her 'review'.

phydaux 07-25-2007 02:38 PM

I've been saying for ages that Elaine knows what side her bread is buttered on. She shilled shamelessly for Ed's videos when they first came out.

Now granted, PNL & Ed's videos are awesome, 5-star poker material. So it isn't exactly like Phil Helmuth's wife shilling Play Poker Like the Pros & Tournament Poker Black Belt, and her saying "I'm a doctor, so you can trust me..."

But you can't blame a woman for being proud of her husband.

Jbrochu 07-25-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But she really should disclose the relationship when shilling for him if in fact it's true that she's his wife.

steamboatin 07-25-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But she really should disclose the relationship when shilling for him if in fact it's true that she's his wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you watch "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"?

jeffnc 07-25-2007 05:44 PM

Wait a minute - Elaine is Ed's wife? I don't get it, she gives her location as Raleigh. Ed doesn't live in Raleigh does he?

Professionalpoker 07-25-2007 07:00 PM

No they don't live there....Thats Elane for ya.

deacsoft 07-25-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not aware of any policy on Amazon stating that you must disclose your relationship with a product that you review if there is indeed a relationship. I don't see anything, at all, wrong with her review.

Sounds to me like some members of this forum are just interested in creating some drama.

Jbrochu 07-25-2007 07:58 PM

lol - who cares about their policy I just believe it's a little tacky to deliver a gushing review about your husbands book and not disclose that he's your husband. But whatever...

Professionalpoker 07-25-2007 09:14 PM

Guerrilla Marketing. See it all the time on Amazon.

07-25-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol - who cares about their policy I just believe it's a little tacky to deliver a gushing review about your husbands book and not disclose that he's your husband. But whatever...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

uDevil 07-25-2007 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not aware of any policy on Amazon stating that you must disclose your relationship with a product that you review if there is indeed a relationship. I don't see anything, at all, wrong with her review.

Sounds to me like some members of this forum are just interested in creating some drama.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon may not have a disclosure policy, but I do. My naive expectation is that reviews are provided by disinterested parties unless otherwise stated.

That said, I don't see much drama potential. She didn't hide her identity, and she only provided others' opinions, not a manufactured one of her own. I don't think she was being deliberately deceptive.

Maybe I'm wrong and she's baiting the chumps on 2+2, but I seriously doubt it.

JackCase 07-25-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like she only reviews Ed's books. She gave Winning Secrets of Poker: Interviews with the Game's Best Players , a book that Ed recommended, 4 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the "Game's Best Players" interviewed in that book is (surprise!!!)...Ed Miller.

It's not a big deal. I just find things like this amusing and like to share the fun. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

uDevil 07-26-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the "Game's Best Players" interviewed in that book is (surprise!!!)...Ed Miller.

It's not a big deal. I just find things like this amusing and like to share the fun. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but even though Ed is in it and Ed recommended it, it only got FOUR stars. Also, she reviewed some non-Ed stuff. Clearly this is a completely objective review.

I agree this is pretty harmless stuff.

The Absurdist 07-26-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if amazon doesn't have a policy against this, it's no big deal. Actually, I use amazon policy to govern most of my opinions and behavior. So good point deacsoft.

phydaux 07-26-2007 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I use amazon policy to govern most of my opinions and behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. I use amazon recommendations to decide who to vote for in major elections.

deacsoft 07-26-2007 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, if amazon doesn't have a policy against this, it's no big deal. Actually, I use amazon policy to govern most of my opinions and behavior. So good point deacsoft.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what should we do? Lobby to have her tarred and feathered? Call it tacky or whatever you want, but what it's not is wrong. So tell me why you think it is a "big deal".

Gonso 07-26-2007 03:08 AM

I don't think it's wrong, or even dishonest. Not even tacky, really. A little lame maybe?

[ QUOTE ]
Professional No Limit Hold'Em Must Be Excellent

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on the reviews from others on the poker forums, I have to assume the book is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

It was getting good reviews as is

vabogee 07-26-2007 09:07 AM

is this the same elaine vigneault that called mason an "old ugly douchebag" in her blog? I like her...

SenecaJim 07-26-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So who's really the father, who had the affair, was it murder??
ZZzmfstt? Huh?
Whoops. Sorry, I dozed off. Which soap opera is this?

jsbjoe 07-26-2007 01:53 PM

Clearly, this is not about creating drama. Posting a "review" on Amazon without disclosing that it is written by the book author's wife is very misleading and unethical.

Giving your (maiden) name, as opposed to a fake name, doesn't change this in any way.

XxGodJrxX 07-26-2007 02:11 PM

After reading the review, it seems to resemble spam more than anything. Look at the ending! She recommends every Ed Miller title available at the moment. What would the response be if Tom McEvoy were to write a review saying "All 2+2 books suck! Buy Beat Texas Hold Em instead if you're SERIOUS about getting better". The backlash here would be substantial, and warranted in my opinion.

uDevil 07-26-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, this is not about creating drama. Posting a "review" on Amazon without disclosing that it is written by the book author's wife is very misleading and unethical.

Giving your (maiden) name, as opposed to a fake name, doesn't change this in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does change things because it's not her maiden name. It's her name. An explicit disclosure would be preferable, but she had to know she would be recognized, so it's not at all clear that she intended to be deceptive. Maybe her intention was to generate this resulting nano-drama, but that's not clear either.

BradleyT 07-26-2007 04:39 PM

Go vote "NO" where it asks if this review was helpful to you. It doesn't affect the book rating it will just piss her off that no one likes her review.

uDevil 07-26-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading the review, it seems to resemble spam more than anything. Look at the ending! She recommends every Ed Miller title available at the moment. What would the response be if Tom McEvoy were to write a review saying "All 2+2 books suck! Buy Beat Texas Hold Em instead if you're SERIOUS about getting better". The backlash here would be substantial, and warranted in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. That's not the same. She didn't say anything negative about other books, writers, or publishers. Her husband writes poker books. She's selling books.

Her review is weak because it's not actually a review. Amazon encourages people to post reviews so it doesn't quite meet the criteria for spam because it's not unsolicited. The only reasonable objection is that she should have explicitly disclosed her relationship to the author. But since that relationship is well known, at least on 2+2, it hardly merits any substantial backlash.

jsbjoe 07-27-2007 12:13 AM

You obviously have an agenda that entails spinning the wife's "review" in the most favorable light possible. This will be a difficult task for you -- your arguments (and you barely present any) are specious.

It is clearly wrong to post a review of your husband's book without EXPLICITLY identifying yourself as his wife. Nothing is changed by her signature with a name other than Miller (and contrary to what you assert, AT LEAST 95% of the Amazon customers who read the review WILL NOT associate her with the author). Your argument that it is "her name" and not her "maiden name" is totally a red herring ,and is unworthy of any response.

Stop defending something wrong -- tell us she's really a nice lady or whatever it is that you really think.

bustedromo 07-27-2007 12:36 AM

Elaine "Mob Idiots" Vigneault ?

uDevil 07-27-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously have an agenda that entails spinning the wife's "review" in the most favorable light possible. This will be a difficult task for you -- your arguments (and you barely present any) are specious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the best you can do? Make up whatever agenda you want to imagine I may have, but don't claim that it is "obviously" the case. I've never met Elaine and have only interacted with her in of couple of trivial pm/email exchanges. I wouldn't know who she is except that she's married to Ed Miller, and I've never met him either. I have little motivation for such an agenda.

[ QUOTE ]

It is clearly wrong to post a review of your husband's book without EXPLICITLY identifying yourself as his wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and have said as much. I just don't feel as strongly about it as you do. If you feel as strongly as you seem to, you are perfectly welcome to use your browser to go to the Amazon page for the book and post a comment identifying her and calling her out for this egregious behavior. If this is too much trouble for you, let me know and I'll post the link to the comment form for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing is changed by her signature with a name other than Miller (and contrary to what you assert, AT LEAST 95% of the Amazon customers who read the review WILL NOT associate her with the author). Your argument that it is "her name" and not her "maiden name" is totally a red herring ,and is unworthy of any response.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is her current LEGAL NAME. Is that so hard to understand? It is the name she uses. I presume it is the name she signs. It is HER NAME. Furthermore, a significant number of people WILL recognize her as Ed's wife. If she intended to deceive Amazon's customers, she is surely smart enough to do a better job of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Stop defending something wrong -- tell us she's really a nice lady or whatever it is that you really think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume she is a nice lady, but as I said, I've never met her so I don't really know. I'd make the same presumption for pretty much anyone, even you. However, I may change my mind if you don't follow your conviction and do something about this heinous crime.

All sarcasm aside, I suggest you send Elaine an email and inform her of your point of view. If you do that in a courteous and nonconfrontational way, you might find she agrees with you and revises her review. If you like, I will find her email address for you.

jsbjoe 07-27-2007 06:47 AM

Well ok, we seem to agree on most things except her signing with her real name. I think what I am saying is it's fine for her to use her real name (it's hers after all), but she still needs to state that she's married to the author. And I guess you think so as well.

The reality I suppose is that she could have had a friend "sign" the thing and no issue would have arisen. This is especially true since the "review" includes no personal opinion but is a culling of the favorable comments of other people.

It's still wrong though. And I don't want to email anybody or even discuss further. Enough already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ~!

Packard 07-27-2007 07:32 AM

Ed writes great books. Elaine was just impressed by the new book.

Why are people so focused on the book review? Just buy the book and go out and take some chips off some calling stations.

sincityalpha 07-27-2007 08:09 AM

Not to be hating, but I thought I'd kill a bit of time while waiting for my copy of PNL in the mail. Just checked AMAZON, and miraculously there are already 8 ***** reviews on there... The funny thing is that the book has been out for only a week, and only a few people actually have the hard copy in their hands, and on top of it, every reviewer, except Ed's wife, have no other reviews in their profile, in other words, this is a 1st review for each one. One of the guys actually made the claim that the book turned him into a winner overnight, and that after being "impotent" for 7 years he is now measuring his winnings in stacks. L O L, wow this must be some amazing book, that it's able to turn a 7-year losser into a winner overnight. Makes me wonder what the hell this guy been doing for the past 7 years. And Ed's wife, shamelessly states that she has not even read the book, but apparantly it still qualified as a reviewer. Come one, she would not bother to take a look at a draft while Ed was working on it, and yet she is the first one to offer a review, hmmm... She also forgets to mention her relationship... I can understand though, cause her shopping budget probably depends on how well the book sells... If she was a bit more shrewed, she would realise that she probably would do better if she did say that she is his wife, and that the book is AMAZING and how proud she is to be Ed's wife. Instead she copy and pastes a couple of quotes from people who she does not even know...

Anyways, I just thought that this is quite entertaining, b/c I am sure that this is a great book, as I have learned quite a bit from Ed and consider him a great teacher. But this "marketing" tactics are just a bit sad...

SCA

W brad 07-27-2007 08:22 AM

This is just another demonstration of Elaine's immaturity and self-centeredness. She showed it when she posted here and she continues to show it now.

bwana devil 07-27-2007 08:57 AM

sincit, good post. i agree.

im amazed more people arent concerned about an author's wife going on amazon and writing biased reviews which may not be accurate just in the name of selling more books.

sincit, that is also alarming the point you made about so many 1 post reviews that hvae been made on the book when it is not available to the general public.

bustedromo 07-27-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why are people so focused on the book review? Just buy the book and go out and take some chips off some calling stations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Elaine ! Welcome back !

jeffnc 07-27-2007 09:33 AM

Well, I noticed one of the reviews was from a reader of this forum, so at least one has read it and given valid feedback.

Before I saw this thread, I emailed Elaine through the Amazon function, since I saw she was from Raleigh. I introduced myself as being from Raleigh and asked if she knew one of the authors. She didn't respond, which is kind of questionable. Who knows, maybe she only gets on her computer every other week.

But anyway, this hardly matters in the grand scheme of things. Ed wasn't even the primary author.

steamboatin 07-27-2007 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sincit, that is also alarming the point you made about so many 1 post reviews that hvae been made on the book when it is not available to the general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am one of the reviewers with only one review on Amazon.com. Contrary to popular belief, lots of people have a copy of this book by now. I mine showed up in the mail Tuesday and I saw a post where a guy from Australia has his copy.

If you preordered from Mike at professional poker or Conjelco, you probably got your copy early this week.

It is completely inaccurate to assume almost nobody has a copy so the Amazon reviews must be fake. LOL, online poker is rigged, cellphones cause brain tumors, the Mason's run the country (actually I am not certain about this one).

LOL, at the Elaine haters. If I ever write a book, the MRS will be the first reviewer followed by my Momma and about a million friends and relatives.

Packard 07-27-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Elaine here. I have read the book and it is great. Bustedromo has not read the book and is concentrating on a review of the book, which is not the point at all.

Get the book and read it and win. Why do people care about an Amazon review so much? Read the reviews here, and I think that you will do well with Ed's book [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

BradleyT 07-27-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people care about an Amazon review so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Scale

Mental Ward Patient < Brandi < Elaine

bustedromo 07-28-2007 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Elaine here. I have read the book and it is great. Bustedromo has not read the book and is concentrating on a review of the book, which is not the point at all.

Get the book and read it and win. Why do people care about an Amazon review so much? Read the reviews here, and I think that you will do well with Ed's book [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry Ed, I thought you were Elaine.

MiJ305 07-29-2007 01:52 PM

elaine fires back

elaines blog post