Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Have you had your wisdom teeth out yet? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531878)

PokerHatesMe 10-26-2007 12:04 PM

Have you had your wisdom teeth out yet?

Just wondering ? I've had mine in a bit longer than I should have... about a year lol goin to get mine out next week but i am Poo Say when It comes to the dentist... he is the devil. anyone post about your wisdom teeth removal trip.... was it painful after/before ... did they put you to sleep etc. ?

scott1 10-26-2007 12:12 PM

Re: Have you had your wisdom teeth out yet?

Still have mine. I'm 33. Dentist said they should come out before the grow in when I was 17. I said no. Glad I did.

tdarko 10-26-2007 12:12 PM

PHM- Oh man, I am right in your spot. I have needed to get mine out for about two years now but I keep telling my dentist I don't have time, he is getting bitchier and bitchier at me.

My top are all the way in and fine. The bottom are sideways and he said aren't shifting my teeth but eventually could, might as well get them out now. He said he needs to take out all 4 b/c the top would be biting on gum instead of tooth and wouldn't serve a function if I had only the bottom removed so while I am under they would go ahead and remove all 4.

I dunno, I am so apprehensive about it. I am so good about most things, I have had some crazy and painful things done to me but I just flat-out hate the dentist. Ugh.

Klompy 10-26-2007 12:14 PM

My mouth is large enough to keep them, or at least that's what my dentist told me. They've all grown in, and don't get me any trouble.

XXXNoahXXX 10-26-2007 12:18 PM

I got mine out when I was 17.

Opted for the gas, so I was completely out from start to finish.

Doctor sent me home with like 4 different drugs for swelling and pain. took some of the swelling ones, but didn't need any pain ones.

i had no visible swelling and went out the next day. the only hassle was when you get a little bit of food stuck in there it can be a pain to flush it out.

didn't have any complications.

a girl i knew on the other hand blew up like a chipmunk, couldn't eat or go out for two weeks, got infected and dry sockets and had to deal with it for a month.

dchz 10-26-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still have mine. I'm 33. Dentist said they should come out before the grow in when I was 17. I said no. Glad I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

do yo have straight teeth?

PokerHatesMe 10-26-2007 12:19 PM

Yeah some people if they need them out they can do a lot of pain to the flesh of your gums and stuff... can get infected and cause a heart attack believe it or not... mine r grown in quite a bit but im getting mine out because i've been getting headaches etc so theres a good chance they r infected and i gotta get them out before they get worse.

scpi10 10-26-2007 12:19 PM

I still have mine too.

En Passant 10-26-2007 12:25 PM

I have put it off for over a year. I actually have a cavity on one, so I should either get them removed for fix the cavity.

Question: What is the worse case scenario of not having them removed?

XXXNoahXXX 10-26-2007 12:34 PM

i gave my perfect scenario as well as a bad one of a friend, but in total, i remember about ten people getting it done and only that one girl had problems beyond a couple days.

for most people, just mild pain and swelling for 1-2 days and the gross feeling of your gums back there for a week.

Bostaevski 10-26-2007 12:39 PM

When I got mine out they gave me an injection of something. I was awake the whole time but higher than a kite. It was awesome.

They told me not to blow my nose for a week otherwise I could possibly blow my sinuses out through the holes in my mouth and would need to come back to have it fixed.

A few days later I got dry sockets (basically the blood clots came out) on both the bottom ones. That was excruciating. I had to go back to the guy every couple days and have him stuff this medicated gauze into the holes which would numb the pain. No amount tylenol/ibuprofin would work.

Due to having the dry sockets, the blood clots were never there to reform bone and fill in the holes. So I had these large "pockets" behind my rear molars. Years later, my dentist said I should get that taken care of so I had to go to a periodontist and have bone grafts done on both sides of my jaw. He basically flayed open my gums from the back going about 4 teeth forward. Then he ground away on the exposed bone and gathered up enough "bone material" to mix with this protein stuff then inject it into the holes. Then he stitched the gums so I had these stitches between each of my teeth hold my gums together. I had to have this done on both sides of my jaw (separate surgeries). Neither of the surgeries worked (bone did not regrow) and I still have the pockets there.

So good luck with your wisdom teeth OP.

IWEARGOGGLES 10-26-2007 12:40 PM

I had absolutely no problems. I woke up laughing, slobbered blood all over my then favorite hooded sweatshirt, took a nap, went out that night feeling fine.

BG1124 10-26-2007 12:43 PM

Got mine out 2 months ago, i had all 4 taken out at once. I had the doc use IV sedation along with the gas and it was one of the easiest procedures i've had done. I have no memory of it and I had only mild pain for 1 day. I was able to go out the next night and eat normal foods after a week. The most annoying part is getting food stuck in the holes where your wisdom teeth used to be, but after two months they fill in fine.
Doc also gave me vicodin which i only used for the first day, you should definitely get some pills for your first few days.

KilgoreTrout 10-26-2007 01:07 PM

got mine out ~ 15 years ago. got the dry socketses. Not fun. got the drugses. fun.

DarrenX 10-26-2007 01:08 PM

Got them out in '92, in high school. I believe (at least at the time) they knocked you out if they were impacted, just gave you gas if they weren't. Mine weren't so I just had the gas.

Had 2 done one appointment, 2 in another. The high feeling was great. I do remember at one point the doc put his foot up on the arm of the chair for leverage as he yanked on my tooth- it ended up shattering into a million pieces. I laughed. At least, this is what I remember while on the gas. Overall the pain during the procedure was nothing, just felt like pressure.

I agree with others, pain the next couple days, gross gums for a week or two. Never heard the sinus thing, though.

SoloAJ 10-26-2007 01:10 PM

I am 22 and still have mine. I had to get a molar pulled in my youth because of a terrible cavity. I remember when I got that done, they said it was actually beneficial because it looked like I had a wisdom tooth that was going to severely impact in that spot.

I went to the dentist 9 months ago and they said that I don't need my wisdoms out unless I want them out or if I start getting pain at some point in my life.

Yay for cavities!!

diddyeinstein 10-26-2007 01:15 PM

I had mine out when I was in HS. I was knocked out on bubble gum smelling gas. Slept for two days on Tylenol 3s and then I was up and ready to go. I suggest not doing the things that they say will lead to dry sockets as I hear these are very unpleasant.

It really isn't that bad, but I do agree OP that dentists are the devil. Get it done, take alot of drugs, drop out of the race for a day or two and you'll be fine.

On a side note I was so [censored] up when they brought me back around that I asked for my teeth. Four times. Once after they had already given them to me. I still have them somewhere.

4_2_it 10-26-2007 01:24 PM

Got mine out when I was 27 or so. Got knocked out and enjoyed the pain pills. As a recall the first couple of days sucked, but after that things got better pretty quick.

bigmonkey 10-26-2007 01:25 PM

I didn't even know people had their wisdom teeth removed. I was under the impression that only a small minority of people even have them, and that anecdotally you only get them if you are intelligent, but I don't know if there is any evidence for that. I suspect it's a common myth passed down from dailogues like this:

A: I have 4 more teeth than you.
B: What? Why? I want more teeth. Why do you have them?
A: Because I'm special.

I had mine come through when I was 13-14. My dentist told me that I was the youngest person she'd ever heard of to have them fully grown. I didn't even notice them until she pointed them out, as they have never caused me any discomfort whatsoever.

Obviously this is a bit of a brag, although they don't really do much. I can't even put them on my CV or something. Well I could, but that would look pretty pathetic/desperate. Sorry about all your episodes of intense pain. UL WP GG etc.

CrazyEyez 10-26-2007 01:33 PM

Had mine out in high school. No knock-out, no gas. Straight novacaine, homie*. Worst experience ever. Massive swelling afterwards, didn't leave the house for at least two days.

* had bad reactions to anasthesia and gas when younger.

PokerHatesMe 10-26-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have put it off for over a year. I actually have a cavity on one, so I should either get them removed for fix the cavity.

Question: What is the worse case scenario of not having them removed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke but it is very dangerous to leave them in there if they need to be out... they can become infected and the infection obviously goes into your blood stream very quickly since its in your mouth. Can cause a heart attack etc.

Drew16 10-26-2007 02:56 PM

I had all of mine removed a couple of years ago (was 24 at the time). It was really not bad at all. They knocked me out and even after I woke up I was pretty doped the rest of the day.

It was a good opportunity to take 3 days off work and lay on the couch and eat pain pills. I had a little bleeding and a little swelling but really no pain. Just keep your mouf clean until it heals.

MissT74 10-26-2007 02:57 PM

Had all 4 pulled out at the same time. Only used Nitrous (love that stuff!) was given wonderful liquid codeine for the weekend, was stoned the entire 3 days then back to work.

T
EDIT: Um, what Drew said. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dudd 10-26-2007 02:59 PM

I had mine removed when I was 17, only novacaine, didn't really swell up much, traveled the day after surgery and didn't feel much pain, just a slight soreness. Man up, nancy.

Los Feliz Slim 10-26-2007 03:01 PM

I don't have any because I'm genetically advanced.

Suck it, suckas!

stabn 10-26-2007 03:02 PM

I'm getting mine now next month. Yay.

Kimbell175113 10-26-2007 03:03 PM

Had mine removed at 18, zero problems. Just make sure you do exactly what the dentist tells you.

CORed 10-26-2007 03:07 PM

If you can afford it, go to an oral surgeon who will knock you out to do it. That's what I did (about 30 years ago) and it really wasn't too bad. I went on a hike about 2 or 3 days after, as I recall, and enjoyed the pain pills they gave me, which I really didn't need all that bad.

SoCalRugger 10-26-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got mine out when I was 17.

Opted for the gas, so I was completely out from start to finish.

Doctor sent me home with like 4 different drugs for swelling and pain. took some of the swelling ones, but didn't need any pain ones.

i had no visible swelling and went out the next day. the only hassle was when you get a little bit of food stuck in there it can be a pain to flush it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was my experience too. I had one dry socket, but they just stuffed some gauze soaked in clove oil into the area, and it ended up healing just fine. Just tasted horrible for a few days.

Glo 10-26-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have mine in, which should be coming out in the spring of next year (I'm holding off as long as I can). But the hell I've gone thru with these badboys still in is indescribable. I get constant infections from the points of the upper back molars create sores thru the gum right above a wisdom tooth. Just recently I went to my Dentist who shaved back one of the points that was causing most of the sores and haven't had an infection since *knock on wood*.

I compare the infection pain to labor pains... Except that whenever you swallow, move your tongue, talk, anything that involves your mouth is extremely painful. Labor pains, went away for a couple mins atleast (and then obv, they drug you, but that's besides the point). This last bout of pain was the worst I'd ever experienced. I even had leftover antibiotics to combat it when I first felt it spring up, but MY GOD!!! I really wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. I couldn't talk, and I lost over 5 lbs that week cuz I couldn't eat.

Irieguy 10-26-2007 06:33 PM

I had mine out when I was 32. I spent years 19-32 of my life dreading going to the dentist because he would tell me I needed my wisdom teeth out and the older I got, the more of an a-hole the dude would be about it so the more I dreaded hearing about it.

Then finally I found an oral surgeon I liked, and since I delivered his child I knew he would shoot straight with me. Obviously he told me I should have had them out years ago and that I was an idiot for waiting so long because now the overcrowding of my teeth was causing serious problems with my gums.

I went in on a Friday and he gave me some IV propofol. I slept and he yanked out all 4. I woke up, wrote "thank you" on a dry-erase board, filled my prescription for Vicodin and went straight from the dental clinic to Vegas with some friends. I poored Heinekens and Vicodin down my throat for 72 hours and didn't eat, chew on, or suck on anything because I didn't want to get the dreaded "dry sockets" everybody always talked about. It was a great weekend.

Days 4-7 sober at worked sucked. My mouth ached. On day 8 I went back to Vegas only this time I ate.

Overall I would rate the whole experience about a 3 on a 1-10 scale of suckiness. It was worse than a standard drunken trip to the emergency room but way better than a standard drunken trip to jail.

Irieguy

Neko 10-26-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any because I'm genetically advanced.

Suck it, suckas!

[/ QUOTE ]

me too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ncboiler 10-26-2007 06:54 PM

41. Still have them.

Vyse 10-26-2007 07:07 PM

Got em out a couple of months ago. Annoying as hell. No pain because my dentist was extremely thorough in not doing anything until I couldn't feel a thing, so my mouth was completely numb.

Pain-wise it's not that bad. But cleaning out the food that gets stuck in the holes is the most annoying thing in the world. My friend had his sockets sewn up though, so I guess that type of thing varies dentist to dentist. Mine didn't so I had to clean out my sockets for like three weeks every time I ate.

thesnowman22 10-27-2007 05:33 PM

I had mine out in college.
gas...count back from 10...I remember 9.
Staggered to the car afterward, slept that nite.
Had basketball practice the next day, plyed, no problems.
People who take 2-3 days to recover are wusses.

NickMPK 10-27-2007 05:42 PM

I've never had mine out, and I am 28. One of my wisdom teeth came in fine when I was 17. The other three are impacted, and dentists have told me a couple times I should get them taken out, but I've never had any sort of problems with them, so I am in no hurry.

Biggle10 10-27-2007 06:02 PM

I got mine out at 17. Dentist damaged a nerve while doing so and now I have a very tiny spot on my jaw that has no feeling.

IggyWH 10-27-2007 06:03 PM

I had the perfect scenario when I got mine out last year. Right around the same time, I had a couple friends get theirs out and they were both put under. They said they both felt like crap for a week after and couldn't eat normal foor for 2 weeks. They also said the pain was so bad afterwards.

I told my dentist I wanted him to pull mine. I think he thought I was a little crazy, because he wasn't an oral surgeon and usually just referred his clients to one. He finally agreed, shot me up with novocaine (the worst part), and pulled them out.

They bled a little, but I never had any pain. They were a little tender for a day or two, but to show you how little pain I was in, I was eating potato chips 2 hours after I had them pulled.

I went out drinking that night and my friends couldn't believe that I was fine.

VickreyAuction 10-27-2007 06:25 PM

4 months ago. The aftermath sucked some I guess, but it was fine.

All 4 of mine were impacted, so there was no "pulling" option. They put me to sleep, so the surgery was painless. Little pain afterwards, but I did take painkillers. I threw up a couple times in the next few days, and I could only eat milkshakes and jello for half a day, but after that it was completely bearable.

Having the stitches in my mouth sucked. And the dentist missed one when he took them out, so I was stuck with this solitary stitch in the back of my mouth for a month. It was a little annoying.

jstnrgrs 10-27-2007 06:33 PM

I know one person who suffered brain damage when the dentist messed up the anesthetic durring the wisdom teeth opperation.

I had mine out, and was basically incapicated for a week (from pain meds). To this day (10 years latter), I sometimes manage to jab nuts into my gums where my wisdom teeth were (kind of annoying, but nothing serious).

I recomend you keep them unless they are giving you problems.