Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   **Official Madden 08 Thread** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=476895)

EMc 08-14-2007 12:13 AM

**Official Madden 08 Thread**

I just picked up my copy from Gamestop, for hte 360. Hopefully they improved over last year.

4 High 08-14-2007 12:29 AM

Re: **Official Madden 08 Thread**

Ive had mine for a few hours, loved it so far. I haven't really loved a Madden since the Faulk cover which i think is 2003.

Hoya 08-14-2007 12:37 AM

I haven't bought it in a few years, but it sounds like they actually made an effort to improve things this year (and I now have a 360), so I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Jack of Arcades 08-14-2007 12:41 AM

got it last year, dissapointed, but all of my complaints seem to be addressed so I'll pick it up.

Edge34 08-14-2007 01:07 AM

I have it on preorder, and was going to go get it from Gamestop. God doesn't want me to have it tonight, and the skies have opened up on Minnesota. Flooded roads FTL...I'll get it in the morning...

JoeKing 08-14-2007 01:16 AM

anybody think this will be sold out tommorow at my local gamestop/bestbuy?

Tito Jackson 08-14-2007 01:18 AM

For those of you who already bought a copy. Did gamestop stay open at midnight or just reopen at midnight specifically to sell Madden?

Also about how many did they have?

EMc 08-14-2007 02:09 AM

Tito,

IDK, I just showed up at midnight without a pre-order

All,

As far as Im concerned, Madden peaked in 2004. This game so far is just to [censored] complex. Too much [censored] going on IMO.

BeatPurdue 08-14-2007 02:11 AM

Can you get the game at Wal-Mart right now?

professormike 08-14-2007 02:56 AM

my first impressions are that ncaa>madden

idk why but it seems so weird to me, my first online game was 10 total tds scored, only 2 offensive

Jeremy517 08-14-2007 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anybody think this will be sold out tommorow at my local gamestop/bestbuy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your local Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Circuit City/etc will have hundreds of copies.

Gamestop/EB/etc will have fewer copies, since they like to order smaller numbers so that they can claim it is "sold out" in hopes that you'll preorder it with them next time. They'll conveniently ignore the fact that every Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Circuit City/etc will have hundreds of copies.

Ogre691 08-14-2007 05:38 AM

can you fantasy raft this year?

capone0 08-14-2007 07:38 AM

360 version is money.

PwnedDonk 08-14-2007 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you fantasy raft this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - and its got quite a lot of hall of famers apparently

capone0 08-14-2007 10:14 AM

They dumbed down the graphics on the 360 but they make it look a lot better than the 2007 version. It looks more like the older versions but it's a million times better. The frame rate is rediculously good in comparison to 2007. I haven't seen it go to crap like it did all the time in 2008. Fantasy draft is available. Defensively it's much tougher than previous versions although I played only 3 quarters, I believe there were 6 or 7 turnovers on All-Pro settings. I guess I'll need to get re-adjusted, but I'm really happy with this version, it's what should have been released in the 2006 original version, the first two are pretty much crap in comparison to this one.

4_2_it 08-14-2007 10:29 AM

Anyone gotten it for the Wii yet? I'm picking mine up tonight.

danzasmack 08-14-2007 10:35 AM

I haven't picked it up yet, but looking at a few overalls on the web -

if ted ginn could catch he would be too good. I'm 100% drafting him for special teams and slot wr.

jamarcus russel is absurd for a rookie QB. Brady Quinn is terrible.

Apparently reggie bush goes in the 1st round of the fantasy draft? (brother told me)

That's one thing i didn't like about the game last year. The fantasy draft AI made it WAYY too easy to have the best defense in the league. As long as you could make it with a subpar QB you would dominate. Guys like Addai made it possible to draft halfbacks late and John Alston who was a 70soemthing linebacker was a 95 DE.

And now with SO many fast TEs in the league, running the ball is a joke.

Argh madden.

I'm excited for Troy Smith and the 1st season with him where he won't put the ball ANYWHERE near where i tell him to. Mwahahaha.

4 High 08-14-2007 11:19 AM

So i played the first game on easy, i figured try it out as i havent really gotten into Madden in a while. I crush Oakland 125-0. Ok, so maybe easy is'nt for me. So i move up to pro against Cleveland and i'm in the middle of the first quarter down 21-0 already. Every pass i throw is now deflected in some way, and every time i run someone is there right away. Is it supposed to be this drastic between levels?

danzasmack 08-14-2007 11:31 AM

Yes easy is a joke. You only have to call Cover 2 or Cover 3 and you will get several picks a game. You don't have to set the QBs feet.

When you get to All Madden you have to step into your throws and stuff.

But winning 125 - 0 is not fun.

Kos13 08-14-2007 11:37 AM

Got it at midnight, and I'm not really impressed. It's the same thing it's been for three straight years now. I play nothing but Franchise Mode, and it hasn't changed a bit (the updated rosters are nice, but that's it). Player trades are still horribly overpriced, and they still haven't updated pick trading to line up with the pick value chart (someone just dealt the 1-8 and 3-8 for the 1-1, but I can barely move up to the 1-23 when I package the 1-25, 3-25, and 5-25 together).

Other FM problems: corners are still super easy to grow from sixth round picks to 99's in like three seasons...every [censored] offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and cornerback is rated between 80 and 95...they still force you to go dollar-by-dollar when upping your offer to a free agent (seriously, it takes me five minutes to make a good offer because I have to move the thing $4 million to the right)...free agents still want ridiculous salaries, even during the season when they have no job...MLB's make a lot of money, but OLB's make very little...safeties are ridiculously underpaid, and DT's are ridiculously overpaid...UFA's get paid more than 6th and 7th round draft picks...it is almost impossible to grow a second day QB into a starter...the list goes on and on.

This might be my last year of buying the new game.

(Also, I'm terrible on defense, and I can still beat the [censored] out of the computer on everything but All-Madden. That's really the only challenging level, IMO, if you actually have a football mind and aren't just picking random plays.)

capone0 08-14-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Got it at midnight, and I'm not really impressed. It's the same thing it's been for three straight years now. I play nothing but Franchise Mode, and it hasn't changed a bit (the updated rosters are nice, but that's it). Player trades are still horribly overpriced, and they still haven't updated pick trading to line up with the pick value chart (someone just dealt the 1-8 and 3-8 for the 1-1, but I can barely move up to the 1-23 when I package the 1-25, 3-25, and 5-25 together).

Other FM problems: corners are still super easy to grow from sixth round picks to 99's in like three seasons...every [censored] offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and cornerback is rated between 80 and 95...they still force you to go dollar-by-dollar when upping your offer to a free agent (seriously, it takes me five minutes to make a good offer because I have to move the thing $4 million to the right)...free agents still want ridiculous salaries, even during the season when they have no job...MLB's make a lot of money, but OLB's make very little...safeties are ridiculously underpaid, and DT's are ridiculously overpaid...UFA's get paid more than 6th and 7th round draft picks...it is almost impossible to grow a second day QB into a starter...the list goes on and on.

(Also, I'm terrible on defense, and I can still beat the [censored] out of the computer on everything but All-Madden. That's really the only challenging level, IMO, if you actually have a football mind and aren't just picking random plays.)

[/ QUOTE ]

What system?

Autocratic 08-14-2007 12:17 PM

Anyone wanna give a Wii trip report? Should be getting my copy in a week or two. Is it worth getting if the last time I played a Madden was 2003?

Kowalski 08-14-2007 12:41 PM

Getting mine right now. 360 version. If anyone wants to battle, PM me your gamertag or just add gamertag: Killerwa1ski (the 2nd 'L' is a one - [censored] you MS).

reo 08-14-2007 01:22 PM

We need more first impressions.

Jack Bando 08-14-2007 01:26 PM

Just got it for the Wii. Didn't get 07, so getting used to the controls. Not bad though, only Madden I hated this decade was 01-02. Playing one season on pro, then I'll move up to AP.

Decided to practice some KR's with Hester (I always pick CHI) against NE. I ran it back every other time.

I have to get used to the kicking though. I keep shanking to the left.

z32fanatic 08-14-2007 01:47 PM

As long as it has Fantasy Draft for 360, I'm sure it'll be fine. Not including fantasy draft the last 2 years was the dumbest thing. At least they fixed it this year, according to previous posts.

OvrTheTop111 08-14-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as it has Fantasy Draft for 360, I'm sure it'll be fine. Not including fantasy draft the last 2 years was the dumbest thing. At least they fixed it this year, according to previous posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the ps2 version last year and there was a fantasy draft.

Will be getting the PS3 version today after work.

roxxorzjoo 08-14-2007 02:26 PM

Got it last night at midnight and love it so far. The defense is definitely tougher in All-Pro. I just won 21-10 w/ the Broncos and all three touchdowns were pick-6. I'm an average to good Madden player and this is going to take some getting used to. Havn't played online yet but I'm about to.

dawade 08-14-2007 04:22 PM

I just won my first game on Pro, 28-16 Jets over Dolphins.

Scoring Summary:

98-yard INT for TD with Andre Dyson

99-yard KO runback for a TD with Leon Washington (two sick highlight stick moves)

Sweet little 30-yard hookup for a score from Pennington to Cotchery

and finally...

Nice little 4-yard bruiser-type run with Thomas Jones.

Love the game thus far!

MikeRice 08-14-2007 04:36 PM

Fumbled on the first kickoff of my first game

4 turnovers total do I suck or are there just way too many fumbles this year. Playing as Dallas.

capone0 08-14-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fumbled on the first kickoff of my first game

4 turnovers total do I suck or are there just way too many fumbles this year. Playing as Dallas.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot more turnovers then previous games atleast on All-Pro. I played about 3 quarters and I think there were atleast 6 or 7 turnovers. It's very nice looking but those settings might to be adjusted, or maybe we just all need to re-adjust to the new system.

Hoya 08-14-2007 04:40 PM

Far too many turnovers so far; we'll definitely need to change settings around

WayAbvPar 08-14-2007 05:01 PM

Picked up my copy at lunch, but am stuck at work so I can't play it yet.

I had an issue with the number of turnovers in NCAA 08 as well- turned the INT ratings way down, but still get a fair number of fumbles. Anyone play both to compare? Any exported a draft class from NCAA to Madden yet? Really looking forward to that- have never owned the same versions before =)

Dudd 08-14-2007 05:02 PM

If it's like NCAA, you're screwed, that game is interception/fumble city, with very little you can do to fix it. I'm convinced that EA doesn't know what a real live game of football is. I'd be interested to see how often they actually break down film and compare it side by side to their games to see if their AI reacts at all like a real football player, or whether they just play the game all day long and grow accustomed to that being real football.

Kowalski 08-14-2007 05:09 PM

Just improved my online record to 1-0 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Holy [censored] that was a close ass game. We ended the first half 3 zip. (I had the FG). Started off the first play of the 2nd half with a TD to Rannndy Moss. Ended up going up 24 to 10 by the 4th. He kept doing this queer long bomb with Grossman to Muhammad and got a quick TD. Then I fumbled the [censored] kickoff and he ran it back for a TD. 23-24. He goes for two and I stopped him for a loss with 45 seconds left, game over. Oh wait - it's the Madden [censored]! Offsides! He gets another try, makes the 2pc like a douche, takes the lead by one point.

45 seconds left I hit moss up again and do damage in the redzone with Maroney, score the FG with 5 seconds left and resteal the game 27 - 25.

Booya. Madden is sweet. There were a [censored] of turnovers in the first half though. Fumbles are so frustrating.

Jack Bando 08-14-2007 05:12 PM

On some Wii-Madden boards it's close to a riot on how "THIS IS TEH WURST MADDEN EVAR! THE GLITTCHES>ME!!!!". Haven't seen any yet.

It seems you don't play as just yourself in Wii's Superstar Mode. At least in preseason, so I might not play that mode now.

BillNye 08-14-2007 05:18 PM

Once again, Xbox > Xbox 360

Jack of Arcades 08-14-2007 05:34 PM

It's good. I'm not blown away, but I'll keep playing it.

BillNye 08-14-2007 05:37 PM

Regular Xbox version:

I started a franchise, and simulated through the preseason ldo, I viewed my progression and almost all of my players decreased by like 4 awareness. I restarted like 4 times and the same thing happened, same players, same stats decreased, wtf?

Kos13 08-14-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What system?

[/ QUOTE ]

PS2 (I'm cheap). Also, is anyone noticing the ridiculous lag at some screens? I can't check injuries without it going slooooooooow.