Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   torre "officially" managing for his job (again)? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=517527)

BowToYourSensei 10-07-2007 12:41 PM

torre \"officially\" managing for his job (again)?

Steinbrenner: torre must win the series, or he's not coming back

edit: longer version of story

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ak...p&type=lgns

Russ M. 10-07-2007 12:42 PM

Re: torre \"officially\" managing for his job (again)?

wtg big stein

Suigin406 10-07-2007 12:47 PM

wow, talk about putting the heat on

Billy Bibbit 10-07-2007 12:49 PM

as a yankees hater this makes me really happy, I hope they replace him with Tony LaRussa

Franchise 60 10-07-2007 12:54 PM

Who let the crazy old man out of his cage?

iggymcfly 10-07-2007 01:20 PM

Re: torre \"officially\" managing for his job (again)? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MEbenhoe

THAY3R 10-07-2007 01:28 PM

Torre is awful.

Troll_Inc 10-07-2007 02:04 PM

"(Selig) just said, 'That's in the umpires' hands.' ... It was terrible. It messed up the whole team, (Derek) Jeter, all of them," Steinbrenner told the paper.

LOL like they all didn't have to deal with the [censored] bugs? Or did they only attack the Yankees because they can smell evil?

I hope the next bugs that Steinny has to deal with is maggots.

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 02:04 PM

No one mentioned the most important part of the story. Steinbrenner thinks A-Rod is staying.

CharlieDontSurf 10-07-2007 02:08 PM

Most in the organization want Torre to go.
Steiny could have done it with a bit more class but barring a WS Championship Torre was gone once his contract expired this year.

You shouldn't have to create special rules so your manager doesn't destroy the arm of one of your best prospects

Troll_Inc 10-07-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most in the organization want Torre to go.
Steiny could have done it with a bit more class but barring a WS Championship Torre was gone once his contract expired this year.

You shouldn't have to create special rules so your manager doesn't destroy the arm of one of your best prospects

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be funny if Torre resigned today about 30 minutes before the game.

If I were Torre, I'd do that and then call a press conference to piss off Steiny.

MicroBob 10-07-2007 03:17 PM

game could have legitimately been delayed for a few mins if it was bothering both teams which I believe it was. It obviously significantly impacted play.

Torre could have gone out and argued and argued and stalled until he was kicked out and then kept arguing until the bug situation had clered if he felt that strongly about it.
He probably thought such a lengthy stall-tactic delay could have messed with Joba's psyche even more than the bugs though.
But it's definitely something to consider.
Just go have a meeting on the mound and tell Joba, "Hey, I'm going to stall for you until these bugs disappear somewhat. Don't freak out. Just think of it as a regular delay. i might get ejected here but I want to see if we can find a way to get through this bug nonsense."

I was at a minor-league game in Rockford, IL 15 yrs ago that was delayed for 15 mins because of bugs. It wwas pretty bizarre and disgusting.

IggyWH 10-07-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one mentioned the most important part of the story. Steinbrenner thinks A-Rod is staying.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a zero percect chance of that happening. No way does Arod want to deal with all the crap he gets in NY anymore.

Chicago would be a place I'd like to see him.

MicroBob 10-07-2007 03:22 PM

Iggy - LAD, LAA or maybe SD would be my guess.

nutshot2 10-07-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as a yankees fan this makes me really happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

IggyWH 10-07-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, I'd be so happy to see him here in SD. I might even have to buy a season ticket package if that's the case. He's been my fav player ever since he got drafted. I was big into collecting baseball cards and that year, I just adopted him as the young guy that I wanted to collect.

So far, I've only got to see him play live once. He at least hit a homerun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

/mancrush

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a zero percect chance of that happening. No way does Arod want to deal with all the crap he gets in NY anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

0% huh? Umm... no. He hasn't been getting a lot of crap this year. I'd say 60% he stays, 20% he goes to LAA and 20% he goes to Boston. No way does he go to a NL team. He will want to DH once in a while when he is 35+ years old. And if it's about the money, no one is outbidding NY if they want him back.

iamawesomer 10-07-2007 03:32 PM

Arod please come to Oakland we don't have the monies but we have Jack Cust and then we'll sign Barry Bonds too and then we can run out this lineup next year

1. Buck CF
2. Swisher RF
3. Bonds DH
4. Arod SS
5. Cust LF
6. Barton 1B
7. Chavez 3B
8. Ellis 2B
9. Suzuki C

And then trade for a bunch of righthanded groudball pitchers because the left side defense is going to be abysmal.
Billy make this happen otherwise you are so fired. No one cares that you wrote Moneyball back in the day if you can't get guys who play the game the right way anymore.

technologic 10-07-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

prop bet? give me odds?

Chrisman886 10-07-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a gigantic SD homer, I have to say I would love to have him here ... but there's absolutely no chance of that happening. We're way too poor. I don't remember the last time we spent over $10m for a player.

IggyWH 10-07-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't he just keep his current deal if he wants to stay in NY? I'm talking under the impression that he's opting out of his contract.
prop bet? give me odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

IrishHand 10-07-2007 03:40 PM

Torre is fired within a week, A-Rod is a free agent in a month. Where he ends up is another matter...I don't think the chances of a new contract in NY are 0%, but they're very, very low.

I can't see the Yanks swallowing their pride and basically doubling A-Rod's salary (from the $15M they're paying now to $30M+ plus future ownership interest) after he "screwed" them by opting out. (Good business decision for him, awful consequences for NYY.)

As for the poster above who pooh-poohed the notion of him going to the NL - the DH is precisely why many players do sign in the NL. Other than cripples who can't play in the field, they all want to play defense. Many of the vets who do sign in the AL do so only after they get a promise they won't be turned into a full-time DH the second they arrive.

iamawesomer 10-07-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't he just keep his current deal if he wants to stay in NY? I'm talking under the impression that he's opting out of his contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See here we have this thing called money. Under his current contract Arod can make about 80 million dollars. If he signs a new one, he could make 200 million. Maybe this is why he is opting out, to make 120 million more dollars (anywhere, including NY which is where I think he ends up)

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

prop bet? give me odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you need any money for backing?

MicroBob 10-07-2007 04:08 PM

ARod could go the NL but it would have to be the right opportunity like an LA or something.
Yeah, his first instinct would be to think about "geez, I don't get to DH anymore." But he would still talk to the team and if they approached him in the right way and with the right contract and he felt right about the situation and about the money he could end up doing it.

Just because he's getting older doesn't mean he's not even going to talk to an NL team and just throw-away any of those opportunities.
Look how long Bonds has lasted in the NL when he really should have been DH'ing. It can happen and isn't a big deal.

Would ARod be interested in going back to SS at least some of the time?
I would have to think this would be an attraction to him as well.

Riverman 10-07-2007 04:13 PM

Arod going to the Cubs makes the most sense. It would be weird to see him in Boston, particularly given some of the bad blood there. LAA is possible I guess, but I just don't see it. Nobody else has the money.

Dynasty 10-07-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ARod could go the NL but it would have to be the right opportunity like an LA or something. Yeah, his first instinct would be to think about "geez, I don't get to DH anymore."

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod only DH'd four times this year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. His physique has changed a bit in the past four years. He's not as well suited to play shortstop. He could certainly do it. But, he'd have to make a lot of adjustments.

I think he'd prefer staying at 3rd and reaching 1,000 home runs.

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ARod could go the NL but it would have to be the right opportunity like an LA or something.
Yeah, his first instinct would be to think about "geez, I don't get to DH anymore." But he would still talk to the team and if they approached him in the right way and with the right contract and he felt right about the situation and about the money he could end up doing it.

Just because he's getting older doesn't mean he's not even going to talk to an NL team and just throw-away any of those opportunities.
Look how long Bonds has lasted in the NL when he really should have been DH'ing. It can happen and isn't a big deal.

I would have to think this would be an attraction to him as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, he could also sign a deal where he can opt out again in 3 or 4 years and then return to the AL. (I don't think it's likely though)

thedeezy 10-07-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arod going to the Cubs makes the most sense. It would be weird to see him in Boston, particularly given some of the bad blood there. LAA is possible I guess, but I just don't see it. Nobody else has the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

tigers ftw

iron81 10-07-2007 04:34 PM

Wouldn't A-Rod be moved to the outfield way before he ever becomes a DH? I would think he would be a + defensively in corner outfield.

APXG 10-07-2007 04:40 PM

I don't understand why Arod would ever opt out. The Yanks will offer him whatever money / years he wants in an extension. Arod wants to stay in NY b.c. he still has tons to prove, and the only way he even thinks about leaving is if the yanks refuse the extension. Since there is Texas money on the table, the financial disconnect would have to be superwide, which it will never be if Steinbrenner still wants him.

Boras is simply waiting till the last moment like he did with Matsuzaka to gain leverage (and will probably succeed), but all its gonna do is add more $$ to the extension and Boras' fee.

After Texas experience, I dont think Arod even cares about extra $$ anymore, but if Boras can add risk-free leverage, why not let him try. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks saw through this and made him sign only a modest extension, just like Matsuzaka.

Steinbrenner's statement sends an "owners message" to Boras / Arod that the Yanks are still very interested, so that Arod doesn't accidentally push the opt out switch due to lack of communication.

If Yanks win WS, THEN Arod might leave b.c. market val will be absolutely ginormous, his NY legacy cemented, and Yanks could refuse to match some ridic 8 yr, 350mil offer simply b.c. its so insane.

If there are still any reasonable bet offers, I'm very interested...

Dynasty 10-07-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of younger Yankee fans don't remember the way Steinbrenner can create chaos in the dugout. A new manager isn't going to have the respect Torre has gotten in the past twelve years. If the Yankees aren't in first, a new manager could be hounded on all sides.

Perhaps Steinbrenner is past his days of creating true havoc. But, the good old days of Yankee managers getting fired in mid-season (even after winning the World Series the pervious sesaon) would be fun to see again.

As a reminder, Steinbrenner fired managers mid-season in 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, and 1990. The majority of the fired managers had winning records at the time. Bob Lemon was fired in 1982 after just 14 games (6-8). Yogi Berra was fired in 1985 after just 16 games (6-10).

Perhaps without a Billy Martin, routine firings won't be so prevalent.

IrishHand 10-07-2007 04:59 PM

You lost me at:
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think Arod even cares about extra $$ anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all nearly every pro athlete cares about at the end of the day. "They treated me right", "it was a great fit for my family/career/pet turtle", "they're an organization that's comitted to winning", et al is athlete code for "they showed me the money."

A-Rod is guaranteed to opt out. He'll get far, far more with a long-term contract now than he would playing out his present deal and getting an extension/new deal at it's conclusion. Why play for $25M a year when you can get $30M+? That's just silly.

prohornblower 10-07-2007 05:00 PM

yawn

CharlieDontSurf 10-07-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of younger Yankee fans don't remember the way Steinbrenner can create chaos in the dugout. A new manager isn't going to have the respect Torre has gotten in the past twelve years. If the Yankees aren't in first, a new manager could be hounded on all sides.

Perhaps Steinbrenner is past his days of creating true havoc. But, the good old days of Yankee managers getting fired in mid-season (even after winning the World Series the pervious sesaon) would be fun to see again.

As a reminder, Steinbrenner fired managers mid-season in 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, and 1990. The majority of the fired managers had winning records at the time. Bob Lemon was fired in 1982 after just 14 games (6-8). Yogi Berra was fired in 1985 after just 16 games (6-10).

Perhaps without a Billy Martin, routine firings won't be so prevalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not the same Steiny. plus it may just be smart cover seeing that Cash and the rest of the people in front office want a change

DesertCat 10-07-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You lost me at:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all nearly every pro athlete cares about at the end of the day. "They treated me right", "it was a great fit for my family/career/pet turtle", "they're an organization that's comitted to winning", et al is athlete code for "they showed me the money."

A-Rod is guaranteed to opt out. He'll get far, far more with a long-term contract now than he would playing out his present deal and getting an extension/new deal at it's conclusion. Why play for $25M a year when you can get $30M+? That's just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lost, thats for sure. Opting out is about locking down a big contract over his decline years, rather than risk going back on the market at age 34, when he might be hurt or playing worse.

And while generally athletes take the most money, A-Rod has already offered give up $30m if TX would have traded him to Boston. He hated being stuck on a loser and wont make that mistake.

A-rod is the only baseball player to sign a long term deal for over $20m per year and that deal was for his peak, not decline years. And it was widely acknowledged to be a huge mistake. No team is dumb enough to lock up a third of their payroll for seven years to a single aging player. He wont get an extension for more than his current 28m per year rate, and probably for slightly less. He is getting peace of mind for three or four more years.

In the end hes likely to not even opt out. NYY can afford to pay him the most plus they have an extra $30m to offer if he doesnt opt out (the Texas subsidy). This is just posturing by Boras to try to squeeze the yankees for as much of that subsidy as possible.

kidcolin 10-07-2007 05:46 PM

For 3 or 4 more years? No. He's not going to sign a 4 year deal.

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You lost me at:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lost, thats for sure. Opting out is about locking down a big contract over his decline years, rather than risk going back on the market at age 34, when he might be hurt or playing worse.

And while generally athletes take the most money, A-Rod has already offered give up $30m if TX would have traded him to Boston. He hated being stuck on a loser and wont make that mistake.

A-rod is the only baseball player to sign a long term deal for over $20m per year and that deal was for his peak, not decline years. And it was widely acknowledged to be a huge mistake. No team is dumb enough to lock up a third of their payroll for seven years to a single aging player. He wont get an extension for more than his current 28m per year rate, and probably for slightly less. He is getting peace of mind for three or four more years.

In the end hes likely to not even opt out. NYY can afford to pay him the most plus they have an extra $30m to offer if he doesnt opt out (the Texas subsidy). This is just posturing by Boras to try to squeeze the yankees for as much of that subsidy as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. But could a team sign him so he's making some rediculous amount of money like $45 million a year for 3 years and then only $15 million for the last 4 years? Or just give him a $50 million signing bonus now so that in 4 years he is only making $15-20 million a year?

kyleb 10-07-2007 05:57 PM

I think DesertCat meant 3-4 more years on top of the option years in NYY.

THAY3R 10-07-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. But could a team sign him so he's making some rediculous amount of money like $45 million a year for 3 years and then only $15 million for the last 4 years? Or just give him a $50 million signing bonus now so that in 4 years he is only making $15-20 million a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they do that? Money in the future is worth less than money now.