Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   what bank should i use at northwestern? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450935)

DLKeeper1 07-14-2007 12:51 PM

what bank should i use at northwestern?

any nu students know what bank is best? i just want something convenient that won't charge a lot of fees for having a small checking account that i will take money out of once a week.

XXXNoahXXX 07-14-2007 02:01 PM

Re: what bank should i use at northwestern?

ummm whichever one has an atm on campus.

this is pretty much always the answer since all banks offer 4-5 yrs free student checking.

emon87 07-14-2007 02:36 PM

USBank

jupiterpig 07-14-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much always the answer since all banks offer 4-5 yrs free student checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

get one of those and then look into this...

at INGdirest...you get 4% interest on balance in checking account...4.5% on savings and 5%+ on CD...you get a debit card that does not charge at the random ATM's in like Walgreens and Target...go to their site to check it out

The only drawback is getting money there...will need to link to existing account at another bank

emon87 07-15-2007 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get one of those and then look into this...

at INGdirest...you get 4% interest on balance in checking account...4.5% on savings and 5%+ on CD...you get a debit card that does not charge at the random ATM's in like Walgreens and Target...go to their site to check it out

The only drawback is getting money there...will need to link to existing account at another bank

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need a car to get from NU campus to the nearest fee-free ATM, as of the last time I looked (a few months ago)

emon87 07-15-2007 04:55 AM

Also, if you have any other questions about NU feel free to PM me.

jmxthievez 07-17-2007 03:43 AM

ah a fellow northwesterner, you should probably have USbank since it's on your wildcard, however, US bank sucks and its only open at norris, the student center.

I recommend you get a bank of america, there is one on noyes street on north campus and one on south campus as well. bank of america is also a ton better in terms of service. As a last resort, I would go chase, but the walk is longer I think.

suppasonic 07-17-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How useful is it to have USBank tied to your wildcard. I just got the ATM card becuase I figured I was gonna get one anyways, so I'd just use that instead and wouldnt have extra worry if I lost my wildcard.

jmxthievez 07-17-2007 04:06 PM

no use in getting the ATM card, just use your wildcard for everything.

if you lose it, just get a new one no biggie.
i still recommend a bank of america acct though, USbank sucks b/c you can't use it anywhere else besides at NU

emon87 07-17-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How useful is it to have USBank tied to your wildcard. I just got the ATM card becuase I figured I was gonna get one anyways, so I'd just use that instead and wouldnt have extra worry if I lost my wildcard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I have heard about the wildcard/atm combo is that it sucks - the ATM strip on the wildcard is evidently very unreliable. I just carry my debit card.

Also, I have always had fantastic service with USBank. My debit card was stolen and the info used to empty my account AND overdraw it by $2500 in New York, and USBank called ME to tell me that something appeared to be wrong and I had the money back within two weeks.

emon87 07-17-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
USbank sucks b/c you can't use it anywhere else besides at NU

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all.

chisness 07-18-2007 05:35 AM

i use lasalle bank (with a car), there's a branch down central and an atm in cvs. there are also a ton of them in the chicago area.

but yeah if you don't have a car just use us since there are a couple atms around campus.

ChromePony 07-19-2007 09:03 PM

I used B of A while I was at NU with no real problems. Theres a branch down there on Sherman and another ATM up by D&D I believe, that pretty much covers it. Like other people have said, US Bank is the official one and all that so it would work too I suppose.

iron81 07-20-2007 12:57 PM

When I was going to school all of the campus ATMs were owned by LaSalle. LaSalle even had a manned bank branch on the ground floor of Norris. Did this change?

Dan. 07-20-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was going to school all of the campus ATMs were owned by LaSalle. LaSalle even had a manned bank branch on the ground floor of Norris. Did this change?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Replace every LaSalle in your statement with US Bank.

Misfire 07-25-2007 04:05 AM

I had no idea NU had so many 2+2ers... I'll be there next August...weeee!

Anyhoo, I use USAA, which give me free (well, refunded) ATM use anywhere I go.

emon87 07-25-2007 04:16 AM

Yea none of us know each other IRL tho.

ADLinden 07-25-2007 05:17 AM

my brother goes there....he uses usbank......not that that really helps at all....

Dan. 07-25-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea none of us know each other IRL tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

We should...change that. With this many people, we should definitely get a home game going next year. I'll be living with 2 other 2p2ers, and we definitely want to host one.

If you want to PM me if you're NU, I can contact everyone come late September/October.

JBizzle104 07-25-2007 02:17 PM

All you guys from northwestern eh...nuts....i play poker with a couple kids already and am gonna be a junior there...hit me up, ill be up when we start in late sept...

JB

Dan. 07-25-2007 07:24 PM

While I'm hijacking this thread...just thought I'd add that the home game I have in mind will be low stakes, booze-flowing fun. Don't worry 'bout it being too serious.

jmxthievez 07-26-2007 05:53 AM

someone should compile a list of all the NU kids here and get it going, any volunteers?

im down

DLKeeper1 07-26-2007 10:53 AM

didn't realize there were this many nu kids...whoever is having a game- i'm interesting in playing

NU Star 07-26-2007 11:54 PM

[x]

Thythe 07-27-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what it was like when I was there too...

slickpoppa 07-27-2007 01:24 AM

1. Get a 12 month 0% APR credit card and make all your purchases with that so you can collect interest on your cash.

2. Get a student checking account at BoA and sign up for the following savings account through BoA: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/655717/
It's a no-fee savings account offered through AAA but you don't even need to be a AAA member to qualify
The interest rates are MUCH better than the [censored] rates they offer for normal savings accounts
Balance index Rate APY
$0-$2,500 MFR - .25 4.48 4.58
$2,500 - $9,999 MFR 4.73 4.84
$10,000 - $49,999 MFR + .25 4.98 5.11
$50,000 and over MFR + .50 5.23 5.37

3. Get a 5%+ savings account at ETrade or some other online bank and keep almost all of your money in that or the BoA savings except for a little in the BoA checking account for cash withdrawals. By law you get a minimum of 6 transfers per month from the savings account so you'll have no problem transferring money to a checking account if necessary.

B&M banks are for fish. They give like .7% interest on savings accounts. Even if you don't have a lot of money to collect interest on, there's no reason to pass up higher interest.

chisness 07-27-2007 01:46 AM

The campus changed from LaSalle to US Bank I think in 2004.

JBizzle104 07-27-2007 06:30 AM

naturally, a booze filled low stakes game is what i intended, lets get it ready to go so we can drink away our sorrows for the oncoming year immediately when school starts.....

JB

emon87 07-28-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
B&M banks are for fish. They give like .7% interest on savings accounts. Even if you don't have a lot of money to collect interest on, there's no reason to pass up higher interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you want to actually withdraw from a convienient ATM without paying fees.

slickpoppa 07-28-2007 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you want to actually withdraw from a convienient ATM without paying fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I linked to a BoA account that gives just under 5% interest, and even more if you have a high balance. So you can transfer funds (up to 6x per month with no charge) from that account to your BoA checking account to give yourself enough cash for ATM withdrawals. And BoA has a ton of ATMs all over the country. Thats a special deal though. If you just walk into a B&M bank on the first day of school like every other college kid and set up a checking and savings account, they'll totally shaft you. Nowadays with online banks that offer interest rates with 5%+ interest and free electronic transfers, there's no reason to keep a lot of money in the crappy accounts that most B&M banks offer.

emon87 07-29-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I linked to a BoA account that gives just under 5% interest, and even more if you have a high balance. So you can transfer funds (up to 6x per month with no charge) from that account to your BoA checking account to give yourself enough cash for ATM withdrawals. And BoA has a ton of ATMs all over the country. Thats a special deal though. If you just walk into a B&M bank on the first day of school like every other college kid and set up a checking and savings account, they'll totally shaft you. Nowadays with online banks that offer interest rates with 5%+ interest and free electronic transfers, there's no reason to keep a lot of money in the crappy accounts that most B&M banks offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading mine. The closest BoA posts to campus are a 5 block walk. Not convienient espeically for a freshman living in a dorm.

slickpoppa 07-29-2007 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading mine. The closest BoA posts to campus are a 5 block walk. Not convienient espeically for a freshman living in a dorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post said nothing about BoA or its proximity to freshman dorms. Anyway, the main point of my post was that you should be putting the majority of your funds in an bank, probably online, with high interest rates and transferring the minimum of what you need for ATM withdrawals to a bank with lots of ATMS. I'm just trying to give the OP advice that could save him a lot of money and your curt comment didn't really contributing anything, just like it didn't in the camping thread that I started.

emon87 07-29-2007 03:30 AM

lol ok sorry i hurt your feelings. Here is a lollipop to make you feel better.

http://www.cocoblue.com.au/images/lo...sugar_lips.jpg

1aguilas 07-29-2007 09:30 PM

i'm going to nu and was planning on using ING direct for savings and linking it with a US Bank checking account...thoughts?

emon87 07-29-2007 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to nu and was planning on using ING direct for savings and linking it with a US Bank checking account...thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I do

1aguilas 07-30-2007 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I do

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll only have ~1500 max in my ING direct account at any given point..so does it even make sense to go through the hassle of setting up an account there and at US bank?

emon87 07-31-2007 01:08 AM

I mean it's up to you. It takes like 20 minutes

NU Star 08-01-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I do

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll only have ~1500 max in my ING direct account at any given point..so does it even make sense to go through the hassle of setting up an account there and at US bank?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is either worth it now, or a very good habit to get in to.

chisness 08-03-2007 05:42 PM

where are the northwestern people living next year? i'm gonna be a senior living in park evanston (next to whole foods)

JBizzle104 08-03-2007 08:14 PM

im stuck in foster house again unfortunately, i looked for off campus housing too late...

JB