Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   UFC 74 Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=486379)

BriMc 08-25-2007 10:01 PM

UFC 74 Thread

Just getting started. Anybody else watching?

anatta 08-25-2007 10:06 PM

Re: UFC 74 Thread

Yo.

anatta 08-25-2007 10:08 PM

I like GSP, RC, Joe daddy, and da spida. No real expertise, just who I want to win.

BriMc 08-25-2007 10:10 PM

I think GSP is gonna make a big comeback and stop all over Kos.

And I'm pulling for Randy big time. How can you not get behind the guy! Gonzonga is a beast though. Should be an good card.

I really hope we get to see the Clay Guida v. Marcus Aurillio fight, its the swing bout, so hopefully a few of the main card fights are fast.

anatta 08-25-2007 10:15 PM

The main reason I got it is the hope to see GSP kick his ass.

anatta 08-25-2007 10:20 PM

Nighty night, actually i was rooting for cote, lol.

BriMc 08-25-2007 10:23 PM

Wow, the year of the upset continues.

There's some of the potential everyone has always talked about with Cote.

anatta 08-25-2007 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, the year of the upset continues.

There's some of the potential everyone has always talked about with Cote.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said screw it with the betting on MMA. I know its a small sample size, but every fight seems totally random. I guess bet the dog then, huh. lol, I would always bet big on like the maniac v couture, heh.

Cote seems like a good guy, good to see him finally get a big win.

anatta 08-25-2007 10:29 PM

Like honestly I don't see how Joe daddy loses if he is fighting at that lower weight. That means he's in shape and like always very strong great wrestler. So watch other guy take it.

BriMc 08-25-2007 10:34 PM

Pelligrino is very good, and they have similar styles, this has the potential to be a great fight

BriMc 08-25-2007 10:40 PM

Very close technical first round. That last heard shot to to the face may have won the round for Batman.

I love this kind of fight.

anatta 08-25-2007 10:48 PM

One round each maybe. The suplex looked good but KP I think might have taken the first. KP didnt do enough in last min to overcome strong early round 2 for JS.

BriMc 08-25-2007 10:52 PM

Not enough in the tank for Batman. Daddy takes it 2 rounds to 1 imo.

willie 08-25-2007 11:00 PM

couture is gonna get smashed, gonzaga is a fkn animal.

gsp is going to win his fight going away and it makes me SO happy....i hate kos very very much.

btw i'm not watching since i'm poor, but enjoy the show

rampage vs dan henderson in like 2 weeks- that is going to kick assss

i wish fedor would get a chance to flatline gonzaga/couture/ whoever he fought in ufc

hopefully ufc and pride will continue the crossover battles.

anatta 08-25-2007 11:01 PM

I think Daddy has put his problems behind him and at lightweight, he knows he has to train like a freak. He has a head that look like it can take a good shot, looks pretty good on his feet for a stocky guy. One of dozens of great lightweights out there.

BriMc 08-25-2007 11:11 PM

That was a great first round in the Huerta / Crane fight. This guy Crane has some sick Jits!

anatta 08-25-2007 11:18 PM

He should throw in the towel. He could get a miracle arm or something, but at this point, its more likely he's gonna get really hurt.

BriMc 08-25-2007 11:21 PM

Using the monitor to land shots behind your back! Now there's something I've never seen before.

They really need to match Huerta up with someone in his league. He's had 5 fights against inferior competition. Enough already.

anatta 08-25-2007 11:26 PM

Sweeeeet go go go GSP.

anatta 08-25-2007 11:36 PM

I was gonna say the same thing as Joe, how big GSP looks.

anatta 08-25-2007 11:57 PM

Kos has nowhere near the tools of GSP. Kos ran into someone stronger than him for the first time. Looking forward to Diego getting his revenge or at least coming out like a wild man this time v Kos.

BriMc 08-26-2007 12:00 AM

GSP looked real good. Awesome fight.

anatta 08-26-2007 12:32 AM

gg GG.

BigBiceps 08-26-2007 12:37 AM

Coutre wins, round 3 TKO.

swingdoc 08-26-2007 12:40 AM

I am really impressed with how quickly Couture has gone after his opponent in the last two fights. He's quick as hell and uses that ridiculously well to get a big first shot in. I never feel bad for the losing fighter, but gonzaga was getting so [censored] up I was just praying it would be over quickly. Excellent planning + insane conditioning and talent prevails again.

slickpoppa 08-26-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am really impressed with how quickly Couture has gone after his opponent in the last two fights. He's quick as hell and uses that ridiculously well to get a big first shot in. I never feel bad for the losing fighter, but gonzaga was getting so [censored] up I was just praying it would be over quickly. Excellent planning + insane conditioning and talent prevails again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couture is a beast. The way he just completely controlled such a large and dangerous fighter like Gonzaga was amazing. I thought that fight was going to be much more competitive, and I admittedly gave a slight edge to Gonzaga, but Couture proved me wrong yet again.

I was also extremely impressed with GSP. He took Kos down and made it look easy, which is no simple feat. The fact that he was able to stuff Kos' single leg attempt was awesome too. Kos is so cocky about his wrestling and was talking [censored] about GSP's wrestling and got taken to school. There's no doubt that GSP is the #1 WW in the world right now.

Mr November 08-26-2007 01:19 AM

Sick fight. I'm not heavy into UFC, but I was impressed with the main event. Does anyone else think it kinda sucks Gonzaga was bleeding from an "incidental" head to head collision and not a hard right or left? I'm just use to boxing and when that happens it changes the whole fight, not sure how UFC fans or judges look at this. I guess its just whatever, if it wasn't intentional... keep on fighting.

I give Gonzaga credit for holding on as long as he could.

Bigdaddydvo 08-26-2007 01:33 AM

Wasn't able to watch but read all the summaries. I wonder who's next in line to challenge Coutoure...possibly Cro Cop if he wins on 8 SEP?

GSP kicking ass was a given. After Hughes beats Cerra, I can't wait to see the rubber match between Hughes and GSP. Maybe Hughes will learn from the last match and try to get their 3rd fight on the ground.

My dream match is to have Randy drop down to 205 and fight Rampage to once again unify the HW and LHW titless...that would be an absolutely sick fight.

slickpoppa 08-26-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't able to watch but read all the summaries. I wonder who's next in line to challenge Coutoure...possibly Cro Cop if he wins on 8 SEP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Word on the street is that if CroCop wins, the UFC will have him rematch Nog for #1 contender. I don't think a win over Kongo is really enough to redeem CroCop after getting brutally KOed, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if the UFC decided to give him an immediate shot after beating Kongo. I'm holding out hope that the UFC signs Fedor in time for him to fight Randy at the end of the year show. But more realistically, I don't think we'll see Randy fight again until early next year because it may take that long to sign Fedor or for Nog or CroCop to be ready after their fight. Regardless, I think Randy's nest opponent has to be either Nog, CroCop, or Fedor. Giving anyone else a title shot would just not be legitimate.

danvh 08-26-2007 02:57 AM

Noting against Randy (I am a big fan of his), but I was hoping he would retire after this fight.

Not sure if he can beat a Fedor or CroCop or Nog.

And really was hoping MMA could use the exposure of his win/retirement to announce an 8 man tourney. Which I assume would end with CroCop/Fedor/Nop/Arlovski (maybe Vera), which would be fun as hell..

Plus Randy would go out on top...

BriMc 08-26-2007 03:15 AM

I wouldn't bet against Randy vs anyone in the world right now, yes including Fedor. The guy is on fire.

All I want for Christmas is for the UFC to sign Fedor, and make the match with Randy on NYE.

Malachii 08-26-2007 06:45 AM

"anyone else think it kinda sucks Gonzaga was bleeding from an "incidental" head to head collision and not a hard right or left?"

Yes. It's really too bad, because I would have liked to see what he could've done had this head to head collision not occured. He showed a lot of heart in trying to fight on, but realistically that collision ended the fight.

Popinjay 08-26-2007 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"anyone else think it kinda sucks Gonzaga was bleeding from an "incidental" head to head collision and not a hard right or left?"

Yes. It's really too bad, because I would have liked to see what he could've done had this head to head collision not occured. He showed a lot of heart in trying to fight on, but realistically that collision ended the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't seem totally "incidental" to me... more just like an advantage of being offensive and being the guy who is forcing the action.

MikeyPatriot 08-26-2007 12:45 PM

"I wouldn't bet against Randy vs anyone in the world right now, yes including Fedor."

While a lot of this would have to do with the line, etc. Fedor is >>>>> Randy.

moayer 08-26-2007 02:01 PM

if you watch the replay it looks like gonzaga knee'd himself in the nose. even his toes hit the canvas above his head. also take into account the direction of his nose break.

2/325Falcon 08-26-2007 02:01 PM

Has anyone seen the unaired prelim of Sobral vs. Heath?

[ QUOTE ]
Sobral beat David Heath by a second-round submission Saturday night, but he wouldn't quit after Heath tapped out. He kept holding the choke until Heath was unconscious. It was a dangerous, dirty move, and one that has no place in mixed martial arts or any sport. The Nevada State Athletic Commission will hold a hearing on Sobral's action and has withheld $25,000 of Sobral's $50,000 paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

As reported here.

MikeyPatriot 08-26-2007 02:06 PM

I watched it on UFC: On Demand today. It's not as bad as the descriptions I read last night. He definitely holds it on, but it isn't any longer than Penn/Pulver or some of the early Royce stuff. Heath was a goddamn bloody mess though.

Apparently, Heath was wearing a shirt with Babalu's mug shot on it (Sobral picked a fight with a bouncer(s) a few months ago). Sobral took that as a huge display of disrespect and made him pay for it. If that's true, I'm not really upset about it as a fan.

2/325Falcon 08-26-2007 02:14 PM

Thanks.

slickpoppa 08-26-2007 02:22 PM

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1...alheathih9.gif

It wasn't that bad, but that crap shouldn't be tolerated, regardless of what Heath had said earlier.

MikeyPatriot 08-26-2007 02:26 PM

He's probably going to have half his purse withheld.

Where was the outrage a month and a half ago when BJ Penn did the same thing?