Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   **2007 AFC South Thread** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479227)

Needle77 08-16-2007 04:27 PM

**2007 AFC South Thread**

Can't wait for the season to start. The AFC South should be a fun division to watch this year with the defending superbowl champs, a ROY QB on the rise, a team that wants to prove they deserve to be in the playoffs, and then there is the Texans. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Figured we all talked in the Jags thread last year and it would be more inviting to everyone to have one thread about the south.

Oh, and Cody, I can't wait for that first Colts/Jags game on Monday night. So excited to see Fred Taylor and MoJo go for 100 each against Indy again this year. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BadBoyBenny 08-16-2007 08:38 PM

Re: **2007 AFC South Thread**

Given the other threads in the last week or so, I don't know if its good idea to have a thread for a division. There's already the team threads and there will probably be a league thread and some game threads. Not trying to pick on you, but I think we should get some protocols together for the upcoming football season about what should be thread worthy to keep a sense of order to this forum.

Richard Tanner 08-16-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the other threads in the last week or so, I don't know if its good idea to have a thread for a division. There's already the team threads and there will probably be a league thread and some game threads. Not trying to pick on you, but I think we should get some protocols together for the upcoming football season about what should be thread worthy to keep a sense of order to this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we def need some clean up, but I'm inclined to agree with Needle here. Each team prob doesn't need it's own thread, but there are only 8 divisions, so that should help.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and Cody, I can't wait for that first Colts/Jags game on Monday night. So excited to see Fred Taylor and MoJo go for 100 each against Indy again this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let them, good luck keeping a lid on Peyton ahahhahahahhaha [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Cody

TruFloridaGator 08-16-2007 08:50 PM

Goooooooo Jags!!! Let's please just beat the Texans this year & we will make the playoffs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BadBoyBenny 08-16-2007 08:50 PM

I am perfectly fine with that. I just think we need some kind of standard here or I am not going to know which thread to talk trash in.

Could one of the mods come to a decision and put up a sticky or something?

Needle77 08-16-2007 11:37 PM

MEb has said time and time again that making threads isn't an issue and the ones that don't get attention will drop to no-man's land. Like I said in my OP, all of us mostly talked in the Jags thread last season and it was fun banter. I was just worried that there were a few people that might not have checked the Jags thread due to them not having interest in Jacksonville but a fan of one of the other teams.

If it doesn't work, that's fine. Its just that I enjoy all of the Colts and Texans posters and loved hearing the insight from their teams, not to mention getting ripped on by Colts fans.

[ QUOTE ]
Goooooooo Jags!!! Let's please just beat the Texans this year & we will make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a sad truth...

SL__72 08-16-2007 11:39 PM

If there can be a Houston Texans offseason thread there can definitely be a AFC South in-season thread.

TheNoodleMan 08-17-2007 03:54 AM

If there is a Division thread that will work it is this one. Colts and Jags fans have have shown a great deal of respect for each other in this forum. After all, what am I supposed to hit with my hammer if there isn't a nail? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TheNoodleMan 08-17-2007 12:53 PM

http://oxblue.com/archive/8252a53cdf...2/1024x768.jpg

Lucas Oil Stadium is really starting to take shape. This thing is massive, it dwarfs the Hoosier Dome.

Needle77 08-17-2007 01:16 PM

TNM,

Will it have piped in crowd noise? Because if it didn't I feel like it is a huge mistake to leave RCA.

On a serious note, I like the idea of finally moving towards an open roof of some sort. And the stadium looks extremely kick ass. I wonder when Polian moved to Indy if he ever thought that he would be able to sell 75k tickets a game without much problems.

And is there really going to be a horse shoe symbol at the main entrance cause that is kinda cool as well.

TheNoodleMan 08-17-2007 01:28 PM

It will be interesting to see how much the crowd noise changes. The Dome is absurdly loud, sound just bounces around like crazy, but the new stadium is going to have about 17k more people, so that has to make up for a lot of that.

As far as selling out 75k tickets, as a season ticket holder I was offered a chance to add up to 4 additional seats in the new stadium and it seemed like an offer I couldn't pass up. People are constantly asking me for my tickets as it is, I'm sure there will still be more than enough demand.

Richard Tanner 08-17-2007 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting to see how much the crowd noise changes. The Dome is absurdly loud, sound just bounces around like crazy, but the new stadium is going to have about 17k more people, so that has to make up for a lot of that.

As far as selling out 75k tickets, as a season ticket holder I was offered a chance to add up to 4 additional seats in the new stadium and it seemed like an offer I couldn't pass up. People are constantly asking me for my tickets as it is, I'm sure there will still be more than enough demand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there will, possible PMs in the future [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I drive by that thing every day and it reminds me very much of the Fieldhouse, sorta throwback styling.

And yes it massive, much bigger then the Dome, and I wouldn't worry about the crown noise, I doubt they'll play in the open air very often (first 6ish weeks maybe), Indy gets a bit cold in winter.

Cody

TheNoodleMan 08-17-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes it massive, much bigger then the Dome, and I wouldn't worry about the crown noise, I doubt they'll play in the open air very often (first 6ish weeks maybe), Indy gets a bit cold in winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried about them playing in open air, it will happen almost never, but the amount of air inside the the new stadium is so much larger than the Dome. It'll still be loud,, but I doubt it will still be loudest in the league.

Also, how sick is it that the pic I linked is changing with the time of day.

Richard Tanner 08-18-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how sick is it that the pic I linked is changing with the time of day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very.

When it was just starting to go up I thought how cool it would be to take a pic everyday of the construction. Sadly my resolve was lacking, but it seems maybe someone's doing that now. That thing will be awesome to see in stop motion.

Cody

Needle77 08-18-2007 02:15 PM

Schedule for this weekend is/was Titans played yesterday vs Patriots, Texans vs Arizona, Jags vs Buc, both of those are today, and on Monday is Colts vs Bears.

Young went 5-17 for 102 yards and 0td/0int. I believe that was his first action of the preseason and not a very good one.

Have to see how Leftwich does tonight, and see which reciever steps up today. Reggie Williams and Matt Jones are on the hot seats and its possible that the one that doesn't impress this preseason could be a camp cut.

Colts vs Bears, I'll be watching the first quarter for a possible Devin Hester sighting. Kind of curious to see Grossman in action for a couple of series.

Jack of Arcades 08-18-2007 02:23 PM

Matt Jones > Reggie Williams.

Leftwich is pretty good, it's crazy how his reputation is so bad.

Needle77 08-18-2007 02:34 PM

JoA,

The Leftwich debate in Jacksonville is a sore one. There are now three camps of fans, Byron Fans, Garrard Fans, and those that wish Quinn was drafted fans.

Leftwich was put in such a crappy spot in having to fill the shoes of the most popular Jaguar in the history of the franchise. And the fact that he didn't see immediate success put so much pressure on him and many fans went against him. Then the injuries came, Garrard took the team to the playoffs, Leftwich lost in the playoffs and controversy began.

He is in a contract year and though he has said that he loves the city and would like to stay, I just don't see him signing with the team next year. At least, not right now. Maybe a successful season, a playoff win, and who knows, the offer the team might give him might be to hard to turn down.

This is a make or break year for alot of people. Del Rio, Leftwich, Mike Peterson, and the recieving corps. Mike Smith is a likely canidate for head coaching jobs this offseason, and losing a DC like him would be devastating. With all the changes going on down there the team needs to be successful, not only for people to keep their jobs but for the team to stay in Jacksonville.

PokerFink 08-18-2007 06:28 PM

It would be a shame if the Jags got blown up after this year, because despite their obvious problems, they're a fine football team.

And I love watching their defense torture teams at home in prime time games.

TruFloridaGator 08-18-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JoA,

The Leftwich debate in Jacksonville is a sore one. There are now three camps of fans, Byron Fans, Garrard Fans, and those that wish Quinn was drafted fans.

Leftwich was put in such a crappy spot in having to fill the shoes of the most popular Jaguar in the history of the franchise. And the fact that he didn't see immediate success put so much pressure on him and many fans went against him. Then the injuries came, Garrard took the team to the playoffs, Leftwich lost in the playoffs and controversy began.

He is in a contract year and though he has said that he loves the city and would like to stay, I just don't see him signing with the team next year. At least, not right now. Maybe a successful season, a playoff win, and who knows, the offer the team might give him might be to hard to turn down.

This is a make or break year for alot of people. Del Rio, Leftwich, Mike Peterson, and the recieving corps. Mike Smith is a likely canidate for head coaching jobs this offseason, and losing a DC like him would be devastating. With all the changes going on down there the team needs to be successful, not only for people to keep their jobs but for the team to stay in Jacksonville.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that is this a crucial year & we can't just flop, but I don't think we're on the way out of Jacksonville or anything. I think there is too much support from the town, Wayne Weaver, the fans, etc. Del Rio isn't as comfortable as most people think for sure.

Needle77 08-18-2007 07:32 PM

I hope you are right. Single game tickets went on sale recently. Considering there was a waiting list for tickets just 1 year ago it's kind of disappointing that, that is the case. If there is a chance games could get blacked out, that just is not good news.

Though, the single game tickets could be a huge benefit for me when I go down to see a friend of mine in the area and catch the Raiders game.

BTW, the home schedule is not an enticing as it once was, with Vick mos tlikely not playing this season. Games that will easily be sold out are the Chargers and the Colts. Titans should be sold out as well. Texans, Falcons, Panthers, Bills, and Raiders may be nail biters.

I really hope the team does extremely well this year so I don't have to hear about this stuff every other day. I hate going to check blogs among various other things and seeing people worried about this. To be honest, I think "Los Angeles Jaguars," sounds absolutely horrible.

Needle77 08-18-2007 08:29 PM

Wanted to note that the Jags cut ties with Tim Couch after 3 weeks. Also, they signed Seth Payne, he was a DT and a big part of the Jags success in the late 90s. Not sure how much help he will be to the team this year other than add depth during preseason.

Needle77 08-18-2007 08:37 PM

[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]!!!!!!! The entire 2nd string defense comes on the field, Reggie Nelson stays on. Nelson limps off the field. Initial report is a significant leg injury. Son of a bitch jesus mary and joseph.

TruFloridaGator 08-18-2007 08:39 PM

Unreal

Needle77 08-18-2007 08:40 PM

Ankle injury? Any possible way its like a high sprain? Christ, if it's broken I think I just might snap out tonight. This could be a very heavy drinking night.

Richard Tanner 08-18-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ankle injury? Any possible way its like a high sprain? Christ, if it's broken I think I just might snap out tonight. This could be a very heavy drinking night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to see that Needle. It's much better when the Colts beat the 100% Jags and not a team hit with injuries.

As an aside, I think I need to get out more. I saw that injury from the game and the first thing I said was "Needle's gonna be pissed".

Cody

Needle77 08-18-2007 09:13 PM

Lol.

Yeah this isn't very good. I'm gonna wait until we get a report on what the injury actually is. Hopefully it isnt a broken ankle or an achilles injury. I'm glad the Jags 1st team beat up on the Bucs 2nd team defense, that is what they are supposed to do. Hopefully over the next 2 games the Jaguars can get their offense in synch, it started to happen in the last drive that Byron was in. Completing passes, whether its against 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string is a good sign. Just shows that QB+WR are sort of together.

Needle77 08-18-2007 09:29 PM

Christ, Tony McDaniel hurt now as well. With Stroud iffy this is a huge hit. A knee injury is never good. Christ what is with injuries tonight?

Needle77 08-18-2007 11:57 PM

Initial report on Nelson is an ankle sprain. Please stay that way, please please please, oh and not that 3rd degree kind that Easley suffered tonight.(jesus my 2 favorite teams get hit with ankle sprains in the same night.)

Needle77 08-20-2007 01:39 PM

I haven't heard much on the injury though I'm digging everywhere. Anyone that lives in the Jax area read anything in the local papers?

If Nelson is gonna miss extended period of time I wouldn't mind seeing Brian Williams move to safety. Scott Starks could be = to Williams at the CB position right now. This situation at safety isn't making me comfortable. When we have to play the Colts twice a year it would hurt big time to not have two strong safeties.

Anyway, I'm curious to watch the Colts game tonight. Any Colts fans know how long the 1st team is gonna be on the field tonight? My guess is about 20 minutes of game time, that seems to be what most teams are doing. I wonder if the Bears are gonna be forcing the run tonight and play it like an actual game or just see what their 1st team offense can do overall.

TheNoodleMan 08-20-2007 01:41 PM

Colts are supposedly going to play the starters midway into the 2nd quarter. I'm still on the fence about driving up to indy for it.

Richard Tanner 08-20-2007 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Colts are supposedly going to play the starters midway into the 2nd quarter. I'm still on the fence about driving up to indy for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had heard it would be 1st and done barring an unusally long CHI drive. Either way, I'm in Trafalgar and I'd make the trip, but I'm a junkie for live football [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Hopefully they don't go nuts tonight. From everything I hear from Terre Haute the offense is clicking just like last year, no need to expose them to useless risk.

Cody

Richard Tanner 08-20-2007 08:18 PM

MNF Colts v. Bears II "This time it's personal".

First drive the COlts D was smothering and Sexy Rexy proved he's still good for at least one fumble a game.

So far (~8 min [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) things look good (as I'm typing Peyton get's sacked, dammit).

Edit: GO REX GO!

Cody

Needle77 08-20-2007 11:59 PM

So how did the game go? I didn't get a chance to watch any of it. Manning looked good I guess. More curious about the defense vs the run.

SL__72 08-21-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how did the game go? I didn't get a chance to watch any of it. Manning looked good I guess. More curious about the defense vs the run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they still can't stop Hester [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Luckily one of the Bear's receivers was able to help them out in that pursuit.

The Colt's run defense looked good. I was only half paying attention though.

Needle77 08-21-2007 10:55 AM

I know we were all worried about the Jaguars injuries on Saturday. Well it's official and everyone that left the game(including Nelson) will miss the rest of the preseason. But is expected back for Week 1. That is a huge relief.

On another note, Jaguars 2 best recievers this preseason has been Charles Sharon and John Broussard. I feel like it would interesting to see one of them win the Y or Z spot. The X spot is most likely Jones right now, with the last 2 starters being Wilford, Northcutt, Broussard, and Sharon. Sharon is by far having the best preseason out of the bunch.

Richard Tanner 08-22-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat: DSL goes out yesterday and I can't get my 2+2 fix

Brag: Watched the Colts game. Offense was the Offense and the Run D was actually solid?!?!

Good showing for game #2 over all, no injuries to speak of and everyone seems to be coming along well.

Cody

Needle77 08-23-2007 02:46 PM

Jaguars get the Nat'l TV game tonight, 8:00 on FOX. I have been waiting for this game all offseason, I want to see how leftwich looks, how Sharon/Broussard are progessing, and that suffocating defense. Finally, 30 minutes of legitmate football, it won't be for another 2 weeks til we get this again.

Needle77 08-23-2007 08:13 PM

Reggie Hayward looks awesome. I'm glad that he is coming back from this injury so fast. I'll say this though, I don't like that Favre is picking apart our defense so quickly. And ouch that was a yard away from a touchdown pass.

Richard Tanner 08-23-2007 08:39 PM

Uhh Needle, did the Packers just stop the Jags on 4th and 1??? Man, between that and the meh Pass D, things aren't looking good. Are there people out that I'm not aware of?

Edit: Reggie Williams got lit up bad there, way to bounce back up.
Cody

Needle77 08-23-2007 08:55 PM

Eh, the offense is sputtering. Defense is struggling. Yuck.