Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Shield Finale (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=420994)

CrazyEyez 06-05-2007 11:47 PM

Shield Finale

Pretty interesting ep.

Couple (minor?) problems I had -

1) Wouldn't Vic have immediately unleashed holy hell on Shane? He basically just put it on the back burner.

2) Hyatt getting canned seemed really abrupt. I didn't think they set that up very well.

KAknight 06-05-2007 11:51 PM

Re: Shield Finale

I loved it. If only every show on tv were half as good as The Shield.

CrazyEyez 06-05-2007 11:59 PM

I was a little disappointed. I thought all hell was going to break loose, Armenians vs. Shane - nothing. Then I thought all hell was going to break loose, Vic vs. Shane - nothing. It was a good setup for next season, but anti-climactic for a season finale. I suspect many will disagree with me.

Dominic 06-06-2007 12:02 AM

I liked it...good to see Dutch get some lovin.

VORP 06-06-2007 12:05 AM

Yea, I felt the same way as you. I thought this season was great overall but was underwhelmed by the finale. I expected a lot more to happen.

onthebutton 06-06-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked it...good to see Dutch get some lovin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tina's going to be after him now, too.

lapoker17 06-06-2007 12:13 AM

i watched a bunch of stuff ahead of time, so i'm kind of lost. can someone tell me if ep 10 was the season finale or was there an ep 11?

AJackson 06-06-2007 12:29 AM

I love this show. I was expecting more of a blood bath, but wasn't disappointed.

NLfool 06-06-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i watched a bunch of stuff ahead of time, so i'm kind of lost. can someone tell me if ep 10 was the season finale or was there an ep 11?

[/ QUOTE ]

yah I'm lost? By finale is everyone saying ep. 6x10. I've watched 10 and I don't remember Hyatt being fired as someone has said. But I watched it some 5 or 6 weeks ago so my memory is foggy.

onthebutton 06-06-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yah I'm lost? By finale is everyone saying ep. 6x10. I've watched 10 and I don't remember Hyatt being fired as someone has said. But I watched it some 5 or 6 weeks ago so my memory is foggy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in so many words, but Claudette just told him he wasn't the right man for the job.

Boris 06-06-2007 03:34 AM

slightly disappointed. It was too much of a coincidence that Vic flakes on his hearing and happens to bust the Mexican with all the evidence in his trunk. Why would that guy be carrying around all those documents that night? Maybe I missed something.

private joker 06-06-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this season was great overall but was underwhelmed by the finale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poon Jab 06-06-2007 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slightly disappointed. It was too much of a coincidence that Vic flakes on his hearing and happens to bust the Mexican with all the evidence in his trunk. Why would that guy be carrying around all those documents that night? Maybe I missed something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vic found out that the man had a very important business meeting that night, earlier in the episode. He knew something was going down.

CrazyEyez 06-06-2007 09:36 AM

"I can get you a great deal on a Pantera 5150."

lol

RichGangi 06-06-2007 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a little disappointed. I thought all hell was going to break loose, Armenians vs. Shane - nothing. Then I thought all hell was going to break loose, Vic vs. Shane - nothing. It was a good setup for next season, but anti-climactic for a season finale. I suspect many will disagree with me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I for one agree with you.

pauliewalnuts 06-06-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought this season was great overall but was underwhelmed by the finale.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CrazyEyez 06-06-2007 10:29 AM

Oh also - wasn't it out of character for Vic to bail on his family at the hearing? I understand that he didn't want to go through with playing the autism card. But to just walk out and leave them hanging...didn't seem right. Has he done them like that in the past? I haven't seen the first few seasons. Lately he seems intent on doing well by them.

I sound negative in this thread, but I really do love the show. Just thought the final ep wasn't as good as it could have been.

CappyAA 06-06-2007 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh also - wasn't it out of character for Vic to bail on his family at the hearing? I understand that he didn't want to go through with playing the autism card. But to just walk out and leave them hanging...didn't seem right. Has he done them like that in the past? I haven't seen the first few seasons. Lately he seems intent on doing well by them.

I sound negative in this thread, but I really do love the show. Just thought the final ep wasn't as good as it could have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you have said so far Crazy Eyes except that it was out of character to leave the hearing. First off, I guess he wouldn't be bailing on his family because the hearing really is about him. He is a man who will do whatever is necessary to protect himself and those around him. And he felt the best way to protect his job was not to try and present his case respectfully to a panel - it was to go out, stop whatever was going down, and prove his worth on the street.

That said - I agree with the sentiment here. This was a phenomenal season of The Shield, but I was expecting more out of the finale. The Hyatt thing was a quick turnover, the Shane thing didn't get taken care of, etc. The season premiere next year will be great, but they are leaving a lot of stuff open.

CrazyEyez 06-06-2007 11:27 AM

I just meant that he walked out the door without saying anything to them. Like, "You know what, I can't go through with this. I'm sorry." Corrine is left sitting, like WTF? I'm nit-picking maybe.

Patton4 06-06-2007 11:34 AM

I remember long before this season started that Shawn Ryan had said the 6th season would be the final season, but then was offered a bunch of cash to do a 7th season. I really feel that this should have been the last season and it seems as if it had been setup to be. This series finale could have been so much better. Instead, we got a mediocre season finale, that is a set-up for the final season. I'm sure the final season will be great, but with all of the pieces they had in place, this final episode could have been an outstanding place to end the show.

I believe the writers had to create the "Cruz" character in order to keep the show going for 1 more season and that particular plotline seems kinda forced. I hate the wait in between seasons... but I'm very excited that it is finally all going to come to some type of conclusion.

private joker 06-06-2007 02:30 PM

Aside from the missed confrontation between Vic & Shane, the Armenians, etc... there was also a missed confrontation between Dutch and Billings! What happened there? Out of the blue Billings comes in, hands his resignation papers to Claudette, announces a 7-figure lawsuit against the department, then walks out? WTF??

Wasn't Dutch going to confront him over the Tina thing? All he did was apologize to her and tell Danny that "Billings probably did it but I can't prove anything yet..." and that was that. Lame. Everything with the soda machines, etc. None of it really paid off for me.

CletusVanDamme 06-06-2007 02:58 PM

Pretty good season overall, but yes, LOTS of unresolved/dropped storylines. Therefore, things I need to see get wrapped up next season:

1. Vic/Shane: First, Shane comes clean on killing Lem, hops in bed with the Armenians and kidnaps (to protect) Vics family. I guess Vic had too much going on during this day to deal with Shane, but you know he will get to it. Seems to me Shane is trying hard, but he may be unredeemable at this point.

2. Vic/Aceveda/Cruz: I absolutley HATED that after the pics of Aceveda taking one in the face finally show up, Vic quickly drops this leverage and allies with Aceveda. I really hoped this would come back to destroy him, but Vic decided to go in a different direction.

3. Dutch: I absolutely LOVE this character. I really want to see him put the stomp on Billings, establish dominance, or at least equal footing, with Vic, shoot a man-rope in Tina's face and start dating Sofer.

onthebutton 06-06-2007 02:59 PM

CVD, Awesome account name.

DeuceKicker 06-06-2007 06:58 PM

The pacing has been a bit strange at times.

Lem's death was a good place to end last season, but that caused the Kavanaugh situation to spill over into two episodes of this season, which then ended rather abruptly.

I think the episode before the finale might have been a better finale, as it really ramped up the tension and could have been a pseudo cliff-hanger.

I gather that the decision to do a 7th season was a late one. Had they had more time to plan things out, I don't think it would have been broken up the way it has been. I'm just looking at it as a hiatus before the final episodes of season six are shown. This will make more sense if season seven is another short one (ten episodes in the season? WTF?)

Dutch will be getting more lovin' from the ladies than he can handle. (Looks like he won't have to go home and strangle the ca... er, choke the chicken anymore.)

Looking forward to Season 6b

DeuceKicker 06-06-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Vic/Shane: First, Shane comes clean on killing Lem, hops in bed with the Armenians and kidnaps (to protect) Vics family. I guess Vic had too much going on during this day to deal with Shane, but you know he will get to it. Seems to me Shane is trying hard, but he may be unredeemable at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]I hope they don't make the mistake of every cheap romance novel and drag out a misunderstanding that should be cleared up with a two-minute conversation. Vic should have 150 missed calls, v-mails, text messages, and singing telegrams from Shane trying to get in touch with him to explain why he "kidnapped" his family.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Vic/Aceveda/Cruz: I absolutley HATED that after the pics of Aceveda taking one in the face finally show up, Vic quickly drops this leverage and allies with Aceveda. I really hoped this would come back to destroy him, but Vic decided to go in a different direction.

[/ QUOTE ]Vic might be making a HUGE tactical move to ally with Aceveda instead of Pezuela, but I think his reason is more basic than that. Vic might be a bad guy, but he's a good cop. At his core he wants to help clean up the streets. While he might not choose bagging Pezuela over saving his career, if he can do both--even at greater risk--that's a shot he'll take.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Dutch: shoot a man-rope in Tina's face and start dating Sofer.

[/ QUOTE ]No spoilers for next season, please.

Dids 06-07-2007 11:12 AM

Finale was a real let down. Don't really get what they were going for here.

Boris 06-07-2007 01:06 PM

Re. the Aceveda dick sucking pic, does anybody really believe Vic handed over all copies of the pic? C'mon now. Just like Vic isn't going to keep a copy of the dirt found in in the Mexican's trunk. Aligning with a snake like Aceveda can be dangerous but Vic has shown he can play this game.

private joker 06-07-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vic should have 150 missed calls, v-mails, text messages, and singing telegrams from Shane trying to get in touch with him to explain why he "kidnapped" his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vic has missed calls, but no way would Shane leave a message. He's crazy, but not stupid enough to leave evidence on a voice mail that can send him away. "Your Honor, here are voice recordings... 'Hi Vic, this is Shane. I kidnapped your wife and daughter and locked them in a truck to save them from the Armenian mob trying to kill them. Call me back. This is Shane. Bye.'"

So when Vic saw that Shane kept trying to call him, he may just see it as Shane calling to rub it in his face. Nevertheless, Shane would do good to explain better to Vic -- actually he should have explained better to Corrine and Cassidy -- that he was saving their lives.

DeuceKicker 06-07-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Hi Vic, this is Shane. I kidnapped your wife and daughter and locked them in a truck to save them from the Armenian mob trying to kill them. They're really pissed that we stole millions from them a couple years ago. But nowhere near as pissed as the family of that guy we killed. You remember Detective Terry Crowley? I always thought he was a nice guy.Call me back. This is Shane. Bye.'"

[/ QUOTE ]I was thinking more along the lines of half a dozen "Vic, call me immediately--it's really important" messages. I think his tone of voice should easily convey that he's not gloating/rubbing it in. Besides, Vic isn't the type to avoid the calls because he doesn't want Shane to gloat. He'd answer so he could tell Shane exactly what's going to happen to him if he touches a hair on their heads.

I agree that Shane should have done a better job of explaining himself to Vic's wife and daughter. He was rushing off to the hospital to warn Diro, wasn't he? I guess he gets a pass, in that case.

This all happened during daylight hours. The last scenes are of Vic late at night, and he still hasn't spoken to Shane. I've had friends make more effort to contact me to go out for pizza. Then again, maybe Shane doesn't know the conclusions that Vic and Corinne have jumped to.

Blech, maybe I'm reading too much into what I saw. I just have this fear that a large chunk of the last season of this great show is going to be wasted with these two fighting over something that a three-minute conversation would have cleared up. It would be more reasonable for Vic to be pissed that Shane put his family in harm's way in the first place, but not for "kidnapping" them.

jaydub 06-07-2007 02:30 PM

joker,

Regarding Dutch v Billings, I seriously doubt the finale is intended as closure there.

Regarding the calls, it would be trivial for Shane to warn and explain matters without implicating. Phrases like "old friends are back", "not as it seems" and others would clearly get the point across.

J

DeuceKicker 06-07-2007 02:35 PM

Re: Dutch v Billings. I agree that it's not finished. They're setting Dutch up to be a hero next season. He gets all the chicks and saves the department from a $3.4M lawsuit (finally uses the vending machine info in a useful way?)

Miamipuck 06-07-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
T
I think the episode before the finale might have been a better finale, as it really ramped up the tension and could have been a pseudo cliff-hanger.

I gather that the decision to do a 7th season was a late one. Had they had more time to plan things out, I don't think it would have been broken up the way it has been. I'm just looking at it as a hiatus before the final episodes of season six are shown. This will make more sense if season seven is another short one (ten episodes in the season? WTF?)

Dutch will be getting more lovin' from the ladies than he can handle. (Looks like he won't have to go home and strangle the ca... er, choke the chicken anymore.)

Looking forward to Season 6b

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you. On another forum I mentioned that the second to last episode would have been a ten times better place to end this half of the season. Then the last episode could have been the first of season 7. It was a complete set up episode and in 6-8 months we are all going to be" what happened again?"

This season and the last season were planned as a 6a-6b season from what I read from S. Ryan.

I think the Whitaker story ARC was resolved quick because of his schedule. He is probably getting a zillion roles after his Oscar win. So that maybe why it was rushed and really felt that way. Probably similar to Glenn Close. She was offered a permanent part and declined because she did not want to live in LA even though she loved the writing/actors and the show in general.

Funny how when Shane goes it alone he always becomes some else's bitch. As Mackey alluded to. Only this time there is no way Vic is going to save him from himself.

private joker 06-07-2007 07:56 PM

Dutch Wagenbach: who women go to once Vic Mackey has knocked them up.

AceCR9 06-07-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finale was a real let down. Don't really get what they were going for here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotrod0823 06-07-2007 09:08 PM

I think Ronnie told Vic that they found an Armenian cig in the sink as a clue that some how the Armenian's were involved.

Agree that the finale and IMO season 6 in general wasn't nearly as good as last year. My wife really missed Lem.

Jeremy517 06-08-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Hyatt thing was a quick turnover

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the guy who plays Hyatt got his own show, and thus had to be written out quickly.

T.J. Combo 06-08-2007 04:55 PM

Out of the entire series, I have to say this season and 3 were the worst.

They definately tried to cram too much into this season with too little resolution. The whole Kavanaugh thing ended abruptly and anti-climatically, just like the huge leverage with the Acevada pic.

The only thing I liked about this season is that they finally expanded on Ronnie's personality rather than just have him be the tech guy wallflower.

The whole season and nearly every plot twist just seemed really rushed and not very well thought out.