Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Coaches in the Hot Seat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523404)

Bigdaddydvo 10-15-2007 11:58 AM

College Coaches in the Hot Seat

I'll preface this by saying Charlie Weis isn't going anywhere soon. If next year remotely resembles this season, then we can talk. With that said, a poster on an ND message board offered this list of coaches who could be on their way out. Of the list, I think Bill Callahan has got to be in the most trouble, he being in his fourth year and coming off of back to back blowouts. Thoughts from the 2+2 community...

Mike Stoops (Arizona): 12-22 coming into this year and 2-5 thus far. Spunky effort against USC but without at least one major upset 4-8 is going to be the top end. Muerto.

Guy Morriss (Baylor): I actually think he's a pretty good coach and maybe the situation at Baylor is just hopeless. But he's got 3 wins this year and that's probably all he'll get. Hard to say.

Lloyd Carr (Michigan): I doubt that they'll out and out fire him, but I can easily see him being forced out after the way they started. Michigan will likely struggle next year in any event.

Bill Callahan (Nebraska): 22-15 coming into this year and the owner of a shiny new contract extension for five years. I would have said 3 weeks ago that I was 99% sure he'd be back next year, but combined losses by a score of 86-20 to Missouri and Oklahoma State have rocked the program to its foundation. His DC Cosgrove is certainly going to be gone. If NU winds up 6-6 or worse (which is a real possibility) I think Callahan probably will be gone and so too will the A.D. who hired him.

Houston Nutt (Arkansas): Muy Muerto. All the offseason stuff, a new A.D. and their poor play this year have doomed him. Funny, he was actually one of NU's choices before Callahan.

Bill Doba (Washington State): Muerto. Even if they beat Stanford and UW (their only two winnable games remaining) they'll be 4-8 and sliding downhill quickly.

Dave Wannestedt (Pitt): I said this was a terrible hire when it was made, and for once I was right. Wanny is now 13-16 at Pitt and the Navy loss sucked whatever breath remained here. The only thing that could save him is his connections in the Athletic Dep't but his only remaining winnable game is Syracuse, which brings me to:

Greg Robinson (Syracuse): An even worse hire than Wanny. Aside from the shocker win at L'ville and a 3-point loss to Miami of Ohio the Orange hasn't been close. Robinson will likely end 3 years with 6 or so wins. The only question is whether Syracuse's punk A.D. can admit he made a mistake.

Karl Dorrell (UCLA): Muerto. The N.D. and Utah losses coupled with the high expectations this year have doomed him.

Dennis Franchione (Texas A&M): Muy Muerto. I'm not even going to elaborate further.

Ed Orgeron (Ole Miss): 7-16 coming into this year. The Rebs are more competitive this year but are 2-5 and are looking probably at two more wins tops. Probably gone.

Sly Croom (Mississippi St.): He was 9-25 coming into this year. I kinda like him and actually hope he gets another year. MSU is 4-3 right now and they are playing better ball. He really probably needs two more wins and Arkansas and Ole Miss looks like the best bets. Road wins over Kentucky or WVU or a home win over Bama would be major surprises.

Ty Willingham (Washington): I can't add much to whatever has been said. After Oregon hands UW its heads next week, the Huskies will be 2-5. That will make Willingham 9-21 at UW. They have winnable games against Stanford and Arizona but very likely losses on the road at Oregon State and Hawaii and to Cal. The Apple Cup is always a toss-up. 5-8 looks like about the best he can do. UW should fire him but who knows what they'll do.

Phil Fulmer (Tennessee): Probably safe but if they wind up 6-6 (now at 4-2) it could happen.

Bobby Bowden (FSU): I doubt that they'll out and out fire him, but despite the staff changes this year, FSU looks to be no better than 7-5. They are 4-2 and have very difficult road games against 3 teams in the top 15. That would give them 5 losses and losses to Miami and Maryland are not entirely out the question.

mmbt0ne 10-15-2007 12:08 PM

Re: College Coaches in the Hot Seat

It really is a crying [censored] shame that Chan Gailey keeps pulling off enough random wins every year to not make this list.

It tilts the everliving [censored] out of me. STOP WINNING GAMES LIKE AT AUBURN AND AT #3 MIAMI AND THEN LOSING AT VIRGINIA, OR AT DUKE, OR HOME VERSUS NC STATE YOU GODDAMN BUM

JaredL 10-15-2007 12:14 PM

Once again it's a joke that you include Willingham.

I'm a duck fan and hope he goes. He has brought that program up from the total [censored], may or may not beat Idaho level to bad but respectable it will be a tough game we'll probably win level.

All domerism aside, Willingham has shown at Stanford, Notre Dame and now Washington that he's a top coach that has brought those programs above average success looking at their recent past and present.

Bigdaddydvo 10-15-2007 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really is a crying [censored] shame that Chan Gailey keeps pulling off enough random wins every year to not make this list.

It tilts the everyliving [censored] out of me. STOP WINNING GAMES LIKE AT AUBURN AND AT #3 MIAMI AND THEN LOSING AT VIRGINIA, OR AT DUKE, OR HOME VERSUS NC STATE YOU GODDAMN BUM

[/ QUOTE ]

I've meant to ask you this, but why has Tenuta been consistently passed up as a H.C. candidate? The guy is a freaking defensive genius. Is he simply one of those Norm Chow types that just loves one side of the ball and wants to forego the hassles of becoming a head coach?

polkaface 10-15-2007 12:17 PM

I realize everything you said is regarding coaches in BCS conferences. But one 95% sure bet is that Phil Bennett is out at SMU after being on the verge of a bowl game last year (and the AD wanted him gone last year, but players stuck up for him in a big way and saved his job, including the then Freshman school Record setter at QB[Justin Willis])

I do not think Justin Willis can save his coach's job this year.

I think you are dead on with Franchione, Nutt and Callahan. I would like to see Morriss get one more year. I think Willingham gets one more year. I hope Croom gets one more year. Robinson needs to go. No opinion on the others.

mmbt0ne 10-15-2007 12:23 PM

You know what, I have no idea. I knew Reuben Houston, of pot-selling fame, from high school and I remember after the 2004 season talking to him and him saying that everyone on the defense thought that he was leaving for a HC job. Somehow he ended up staying and you never really even hear his name come up as a serious candidate for jobs.

I don't understand it, but I'll take it. Of course the other [censored] thing is that Gailey is becoming a much better recruiter and the high school parents love him. For a long time he was able to get underrated recruits and turn classes that ranked in the 60's into top 30 teams, and now he's getting better classes. It's just that he's a terrible game coach.

Austiger 10-15-2007 12:26 PM

Great thread.

Willingham should not be fired, nor should Croom (Beating Bama at home would not be a major surprise, by the way. That game will be a tossup.) The Callahan situation is pretty amazing. How do you [censored] up that bad at a traditional power? I'm also amazed at how bad Pitt is this year. I thought they were recruiting at a pretty high level.

Bigdaddydvo 10-15-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

Willingham should not be fired, nor should Croom (Beating Bama at home would not be a major surprise, by the way. That game will be a tossup.) The Callahan situation is pretty amazing. How do you [censored] up that bad at a traditional power? I'm also amazed at how bad Pitt is this year. I thought they were recruiting at a pretty high level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regrettably for Husky fans, Ty will probably get at least one more year.

Wanny has done quite well on the recruiting trail, as he's plucked away lots of top talent from W. PA that would otherwise end up in JoePa's hands. His game day abilities and skill with developing players is what's being questioned now.

gjv76 10-15-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg Robinson (Syracuse): An even worse hire than Wanny. Aside from the shocker win at L'ville and a 3-point loss to Miami of Ohio the Orange hasn't been close. Robinson will likely end 3 years with 6 or so wins. The only question is whether Syracuse's punk A.D. can admit he made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robinson better get fired this year. Losing to Miami OH should be the nail in the coffin. How many of his wins in the last 3 years came aganist University of Buffalo. How the hell does one of the better programs of the 90s become one of the worst in college football?

Anacardo 10-15-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely, totally out of it w/ re: to Ty Willingham's worth as a head coach. Just completely blinded by fanaticism.

TomCollins 10-15-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanny has done quite well on the recruiting trail, as he's plucked away lots of top talent from W. PA that would otherwise end up in JoePa's hands. His game day abilities and skill with developing players is what's being questioned now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your hopes up on Willingham being fired. You are stuck with Weis, so don't get too excited at being able to hire a good coach like Willingham back at Notre Dame.

tereg 10-15-2007 12:37 PM

If Miss St. should somehow get bowl eligible this year (remaining games against @WVa, @Kentucky, Ala, @Ark, Ole Miss) I don't think Croom is going anywhere. That would be a substantial step in the right direction compared to where that program has been.

As for Callahan, if the home fans are leaving before halftime against OK St, I think it's pretty clear what the boosters think.

Fran. lol.

Bigdaddydvo 10-15-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your hopes up on Willingham being fired. You are stuck with Weis, so don't get too excited at being able to hire a good coach like Willingham back at Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed at the defense that TW gets around this board. His final two recruiting classes are the reason ND had the fewest returning lettermen in Div 1A. His last two classes he only recruited three (3) offensive linemen, only one of whom is starting.

The Ty Willingham Fact Sheet

If Ty were allowed another year at ND, the damage done would have rendered the program irrelevant for at least the next decade.

TomCollins 10-15-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed at the defense that TW gets around this board. His final two recruiting classes are the reason ND had the fewest returning lettermen in Div 1A. His last two classes he only recruited three (3) offensive linemen, only one of whom is starting.

If Ty were allowed another year at ND, the damage done would have rendered the program irrelevant for at least the next decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's that great of a coach, just better than Charlie Weis. It's hard to think of a coach who is much worse than him though.

Bigdaddydvo 10-15-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's that great of a coach, just better than Charlie Weis. It's hard to think of a coach who is much worse than him though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't dispute that CW has made mistakes this year (focusing more on scheme than football fundamentals with a young team, including the disasterous spread offense experiment vs. GA Tech in Game 1) but the success he enjoyed in the first 2 years w/a relatively veteran team + two Top 10 recruiting classes (with the '08 group currently ranked #1 in the country) have earned him a mulligan for the ugly moments this year.

Anyone who would (genuinely) rather have Willingham instead of Weis as their H.C. needs to have their head examined. Seriously.

Franchise 60 10-15-2007 01:47 PM

The biggest mistake Weis made was throwing Clausen to the wolves like he did. The correct decision would have been to start Sharpley, be competitive as possible for the first 7-8 games, and then let Clausen start the cupcakes at the end of the season to build confidence and so on.

I blame this entirely on ego and lack of experience as a head coach.

With that being said, Weis gets killed way too much, and Willingham gets defended way too much. And the truth for both probably lies in the middle.

UATrewqaz 10-15-2007 01:58 PM

Croom isn't going anywhere, winning at Auburn earlier this year was enough to get some heat off him. And although they aren't winning alot they are playing much better than they have in the past couple of years.

Nutt is in major trouble. No matter how much success he manages over there he seems to always find a way to hit rock bottom again very quickly.

As for the rest of the country, Wannestedt has done nothing at Pitt. No reason they should not be one of hte better teams in the Big East and they suck.

Franchione is also gonna get the axe at the end of this year. A&M plays one of the most laughable non-conference schedules every year for cheap wins and gets blown out most of the time by anyone decent they play. He was in trouble before and after the secret booster emails for cash thing was uncovered he's a dead man walking.

Lloyd Carr will most likely "retire" assuming Michigan doesn't come back to win the Big 10.

Also, HUDGE lol's at all the ND fans still obsessing over Willingham and worshipping Weis. You got scammed/duped big time, gonna have to deal with that fact. Weis is nothing special and perhaps even bad.

Bigdaddydvo 10-15-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest mistake Weis made was throwing Clausen to the wolves like he did. The correct decision would have been to start Sharpley, be competitive as possible for the first 7-8 games, and then let Clausen start the cupcakes at the end of the season to build confidence and so on.

I blame this entirely on ego and lack of experience as a head coach.

With that being said, Weis gets killed way too much, and Willingham gets defended way too much. And the truth for both probably lies in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

CW has repeatedly said that Clausen looks the best in practice and whoever performs at the highest level there wins the starting spot. However, Sharpley has outperformed Clausen in the action he's seen this year. Given that Game performance >>>> Practice performance, I'd like to see Sharpley get the start this weekend vs. USC.

dkgojackets 10-15-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It tilts the everliving [censored] out of me. STOP WINNING GAMES LIKE AT AUBURN AND AT #3 MIAMI AND THEN LOSING AT VIRGINIA, OR AT DUKE, OR HOME VERSUS NC STATE YOU GODDAMN BUM

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Let Gailey recruit but have no influence on in game decisions. He completely botched the end of the Maryland game, and this team is too good to lose to stupid virginia.

FlawedChip 10-15-2007 02:52 PM

Echoing polkaface:

Phil Bennett of SMU is on his way out. 1-5 with the one win over North Texas. For Bennett to stay, SMU must win out. I would like to think 6-6 will not save his job again.

PB's record at SMU is 17-42 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

pvn 10-15-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll preface this by saying Charlie Weis isn't going anywhere soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "anywhere" you mean "a bowl game" you got that right.

jalexand42 10-15-2007 03:12 PM

hahaha, looks like the AD at nebraska might be out today.

Just LOL @ Nebraska. GO BIG REDDDD! :P

leehrat 10-15-2007 03:16 PM

Add Chan Gailey (Ga Tech) to the list. Although signed to a ridiculous contract by outgoing Crohn's disease-afflicted moran Dave Braine, he may be shown the door early. Consistent mediocrity (always finishing the year 7-5) and a boring, staid, and ineffective offense are hallmarks of this beleaguered heartattack victim and his program.

edit: sorry, only read op before posting

orange 10-15-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pederson gets fired

also screw yourself jalex [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

tereg 10-15-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pederson gets fired

also screw yourself jalex [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictur...lyGrail004.jpg

Bring out your dead!

orange 10-15-2007 04:52 PM

Also,
I do agree with the Willingham comments. I don't really think he's really on the hot seat. UW is playing against a fairly competitive schedule and is also a pretty young team. I think they give TW a few more years to improve before he gets on the hot seat.

Also, yeah, NE is going through a large whirlpool of change at the moment. I think that Bill is going to get the axe. Not that NE is my favorite team, but I still don't mind seeing them do well.

tereg 10-15-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Bill is going to get the axe. Not that NE is my favorite team, but I still don't mind seeing them do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the extension they just gave him? Hmm.

dkgojackets 10-15-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Add Chan Gailey (Ga Tech) to the list. Although signed to a ridiculous contract by outgoing Crohn's disease-afflicted moran Dave Braine, he may be shown the door early. Consistent mediocrity (always finishing the year 7-5) and a boring, staid, and ineffective offense are hallmarks of this beleaguered heartattack victim and his program.

edit: sorry, only read op before posting

[/ QUOTE ]

agree agree agree

Pinchot 10-15-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, PSU didn't target a large portion of Wanny's recruits.

Also, they can attribute part of their lofty recruiting rankings to the fact that a major scout.com guru is a lifelong Pitt fan. Although he claims no bias, there seems to be some inflated rankings for Pitt recruits (and Western PA kids in general). The rankings generated a good amount of hype and expectations around the program that Wanny hasn't been able to live up to.

I think Pitt has a new AD on the way and I expect Wanny to be out the door at the end of the year.

NozeCandy 10-15-2007 05:38 PM

In regards to Carr, yeah I'm pretty sure he'll be "retiring" after this year no matter what happens. Michigan can win out and win a BCS game and nobody would want him back. I personally want him and both major coordinators gone since they are all birds of the same feather. Either way, we graduate a ton of talent and will be rebuilding next year, although to us that still means a winning season and a bowl game, not starting out 1-7 or whatever.

Regarding Weis, I just keep laughing. Blaming the current junior class on Willingham is absurd when he made the decision to stay with the Pats instead of recruiting. MT2R talks about this all the time. I just don't see how ND fans are not more skeptical of him when Zook came in under similar conditions (inheriting subpar classes, recruiting good classes, same area of the country) and is exceeding expectations greatly at Illinois. If the freshmen and sophomores are really that good (lol Sam Young), then they should be playing much better.

BobJoeJim 10-15-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regrettably for Husky haters, Ty will definitely get as many more years as he wants, while he continues rebuilding the program to the level of respectability it used to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who would (genuinely) rather have Willingham instead of Weis as their H.C. needs to have their head examined. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Willingham is an excellent coach, both in terms of on-field team management, and in terms of his ability to build a program. Look at what he did at Stanford, and ACTUALLY LOOK at what he's doing with Washington. I guess he sucked at Notre Dame... in the sense that he only took them to BCS bowl games... I can not comprehend how anyone could possibly think Weiss is better for a program in any way than Willingham.

The hate for Willingham that I see on this board baffles me. I mean I hate him too, but that's just because he's such a thorn in the Ducks' side. He led Stanford to the win that cost us an undefeated 2001 season and a national title shot, and now he's rebuilding our most hated rivals. [censored] Jake Locker. Yeah, Willingham can't recruit.

Examine away, but my head is just fine.

MyTurn2Raise 10-15-2007 06:38 PM

If I were in charge:

#1 Bye bye wannstedt. Coaches terribly. Seen no signs of recruits developing.
#2 Carr is really awful and should've been fired years ago. Hell, he never should've been hired. It's easy to have Michigan #2 in the Big11Ten every year. That shouldn't be an accomplishment the administration is happy with achieving.
#3 Goodbye Nutt. Chased away the offensive genius hired to get recruits. Personal issues. Too combatative.
#4 Franchione is out of here--non-competitive losses are too tough to swallow.

Robinson deserves to go, but it's tough to only give a coach 3 years. He better impress next season.

Orgeron deserves another year or two. Let's see how he does with 4 full years of his recruits. It won't help the program to go another direction.

I give Mike Stoops one more year since he did recognize and overhaul his offense. Let's see if it can come together next year.

Ty--laughable he's on the list--I'm guessing they beat Hawai'i too.

Bowden and FSU are nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. They've been as good as Notre Lame the last 3 years, but haven't had that over-rated schedule.

Guy Morriss is good. Baylor just shouldn't have football.

Callahan-Cosgrove-Childress trifecta
well the trio succeeded at Illinois under White in the early 80s by raiding California JUCOs for thugs. They succeeded at Wisconsin in the early 90s by raiding gang-bangers where other schools backed away. My question is: Does Callahan have a place to raid in the current environment? Given the #5, #20, and #13 recruiting classes locked up the previous 3 years and a current top10 standing, I have to give this set of coaches the 5 years to put things in place.

My main philosophy is that every coach deserves 5 years. That's how long the whole turnover takes for it to be his regime. Only in extreme cases should that be violated. I wonder how Ty at ND or Zook at Florida would've done if they got their whole 5 years.

TheNoodleMan 10-15-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that Bill is going to get the axe. Not that NE is my favorite team, but I still don't mind seeing them do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the extension they just gave him? Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

They just fired the man responsible for giving him the extension. It doesn't take a fortune teller to see whats coming next.

Dudd 10-15-2007 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Willingham is an excellent coach, both in terms of on-field team management

[/ QUOTE ]
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
1st and 10 at BC 35 Darius Walker (ND) rushed up the middle for 4 yards.
2nd and 6 at BC 31 Brady Quinn (ND) pass right side complete to Anthony Fasano (ND) for 1 yard.
3rd and 5 at BC 30 Brady Quinn (ND) pass incomplete to the left side.
4th and 5 at BC 30 Punt by D.J. Fitzpatrick (ND) no return by Eagles.
</pre><hr />

You will never be able to convince me of this.

orange 10-15-2007 07:51 PM

Re-Will callahan get fired despite the contract extension?

-yes, I think there is a very good chance that he will get axed. Despite the past few years, NE is NOT a place where you want to do [censored] in college football. When you see people leaving at halftime by the thousands, you have a serious problem with the boosters/supporters of Husker nation.

I could post for hours on the problems of bill callahan and his regime. I'll say this- they don't know how to develop players well at all. true freshman are burning their redshirts and yet won't have a chance to play until the third or fourth year of the program. we have all the projected 'talent' in the world and yet, these players fail to ever come to fruition.

I think we can blame BC and his staff for that. Now, i'm by no means a husker expert, but these are just a few of the problems i've seen in my 3 years at UNL. people also talk about how complicated the offense is and how the terminology is all [censored]. yet, despite the complexity of it, they perform inefficiently on the field.

sucks for my friends...they are huge Husker fans. (I grew up in gainesville and will be a gator forever). but still, i think that everyone around here will be happy that bill and especially cosgrove will be gone.

DCWildcat 10-15-2007 08:12 PM

Orgeron may deserve more time, but I really doubt he gets it. How long does Kragthorpe get?

fwiw, I agree with these sentiments from the thread: Weis blows, most ND fans who love Weis and hate Willingham are blind or racist, Nutt should have never had a job, Francione is horrible, and Callahan will probably get another year, even with the new AD, though he doesn't deserve it

MyTurn2Raise 10-15-2007 08:19 PM

yeah....Kragthorpe is one guy who doesn't deserve 5 years....I would've fired him after Syracuse

heater 10-15-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#2 Carr is really awful and should've been fired years ago. Hell, he never should've been hired. It's easy to have Michigan #2 in the Big11Ten every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Five firsts and three seconds in twelve seasons, fwiw.

MyTurn2Raise 10-15-2007 08:22 PM

these things are starting to pile up on Weis

DCWildcat 10-15-2007 08:32 PM

On a different note: Which program will get to hire the USF coach at the end of this year?